Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 4239 4240 [4241] 4242 4243 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1994284 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #63600 on: January 18, 2021, 08:13:54 PM »

January 18, 2021: While most of the political attention in 2020 was on the presidential race, there were also 5,875 state legislative seats up for regularly scheduled elections on November 3. As a result of the elections, control of 315 seats flipped from one party to another.[1]

Republicans gained a net 141 seats, Democrats lost a net 133 seats, and independent and third party candidates lost a net eight seats. Other than Hawaii, every state holding state legislative elections saw at least one seat flip parties.[1]

Fifty seats flipped party control in New Hampshire, the most of any state. Forty-nine of those seats flipped to Republicans — 48 from Democrats and one from a Libertarian. One seat flipped from Republican to Democrat. As a result, both chambers of the New Hampshire General Court changed from Democratic to Republican control.[1]

- Rasmussen
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

barton

« Reply #63601 on: January 18, 2021, 08:15:55 PM »

As the hours count down,  I'm thinking of Christopher Marlowe's "Dr. Faustus. "

O lente, lente currite, noctis equi! 

FAUSTUS: Ah, Faustus,
Now hast thou but one bare hour to live,
And then thou must be damn’d perpetually!
Stand still, you ever-moving spheres of heaven,
That time may cease, and midnight never come;
Fair Nature’s eye, rise, rise again, and make
Perpetual day; or let this hour be but
A year, a month, a week, a natural day,
That Faustus may repent and save his soul!
O lente, lente currite, noctis equi!
The stars move still, time runs, the clock will strike,
The devil will come, and Faustus must be damn’d…

The Latin "O lente, lente currite, noctis equi" means ”O run slowly, slowly, horses of the night !” It was first used by the Roman poet Ovid in Amores (Liber I, XIII, Line 40). The original context was thoroughly erotic. The Amores published in 16 BC was a poetic tribute to the poet’s love life, and the tag was an impassioned plea to the horses drawing the chariot of time to “slow down”, and to make the night pass more slowly, so that the author could spend longer in dalliance with his mistress.

In 1592 the great Elizabethan playwright Christopher Marlowe borrowed this motif and used it in the climactic final scene of his tragedy Doctor Faustus. But the context is no longer erotic. Faustus who four years earlier had signed away his soul to the devil by signing a pact with the demon Mephistopheles in his own blood is now locked in his own study - abandoned by all his friends and listening to the clock strike eleven. Faustus knows that when the clock strikes midnight, his bargain will fall due, and that demons will appear and drag him to hell for all eternity.

40 hours.   Tick.   Tock.   

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63602 on: January 18, 2021, 08:18:56 PM »

Fifty seats flipped party control in New Hampshire, the most of any state. Forty-nine of those seats flipped to Republicans — 48 from Democrats and one from a Libertarian. One seat flipped from Republican to Democrat. As a result, both chambers of the New Hampshire General Court changed from Democratic to Republican control.[1]

As I reported in November.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63603 on: January 18, 2021, 08:20:11 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEyDTMLcqmM

Melania Trump's farewell address to the nation, in which she calls for kindness, while snubbing the Bidens.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #63604 on: January 18, 2021, 08:20:17 PM »

The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63605 on: January 18, 2021, 08:22:19 PM »

Never let a chance slip by to attack minorities, President Trump! It would make you look weak.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/18/politics/1776-commission-report-donald-trump/index.html

This is another reference to the 1776 commission, posted about earlier by Larry.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 08:23:58 PM by josh »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63606 on: January 18, 2021, 08:22:44 PM »

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #63607 on: January 18, 2021, 08:27:49 PM »

The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63608 on: January 18, 2021, 08:32:55 PM »

Oilcan

• View Profile
« Reply #63609 on: January 18, 2021, 08:41:07 PM »

LoL.   Guess not.

Here's a modern riff on the Dr Faustus ending....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2wqkD2KVM

(at the end of the scene,  demons drag the rotten kid's ghost down to Hell)
Im on the pavement

Thinking about the government

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #63610 on: January 18, 2021, 08:51:19 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEyDTMLcqmM

Melania Trump's farewell address to the nation, in which she calls for kindness, while snubbing the Bidens.

Did Dems have one kind word to say about her for the last 4 years?

If I were her I wouldn't have even given a farewell address.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 08:55:07 PM by bambu. »

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #63611 on: January 18, 2021, 08:53:21 PM »

lhttp://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2021/jan/19/pink-seesaws-across-us-mexico-border-named-design-of-the-year-2020

Not enough of a reason to keep the wall, but still pretty cool.

For some reason the link doesn't work for me.

JFGI

Never mind, I found the article in google.

Do you know what JFGI stands for?!

I didn't at first...just read the JFG part.
I do now, going back and reading it again, after I'd done what it means.  lol

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63612 on: January 18, 2021, 08:54:42 PM »

Happy Martin Luther King Day!

But remember when he was murdered April 4, 1968 he was one of the most reviled men in America.

Was he?

Yes.

http://baltimoretimes-online.com/news/2020/feb/07/martin-luther-king-they-love/

Usually an opinion piece such as this, with embedded unsourced "facts" isn't something I'd count as evidence. But, I do like the argument the writer makes. I think idealizing humans does reduce their true nature to one we assign, as oppose to one that is or was.

"Please don’t act like everyone loved my father. He was assassinated. A 1967 poll reflected that he was one of the most hated men in America. Most hated. Many who quote him now and evoke him to deter justice today would likely hate, and may already hate, the authentic King." #MLK

Berniece King

I forgot. Larry doesn't do nuance.

So...who has argued here that MLK was not vilified and loathed by many?

If you make a statement, Larry, you should back it with facts. Barton did that for you with his post. You? Not so much.

But again, the point that was made in the Baltimore link you provided was a good one. Too often we idealize humans, and with great risk of poisoning the well from which wish to drink.

I do think for most Americans today is seen as a "black holiday".

Sad to say, but likely true for most Americans.

Even so, King's legacy plays out in different ways----just ask Kamala Harris on Wednesday. Or the new black Senator from Georgia.

Then again, don't ask the ADL, who is keenly aware of the actions and words and plans of Ya'll Quaeda. They aren't feeling the love from Americans today anymore than MLK did then.

Yeah...

What the fuck does she know?

She knows what she's been told. She's only 57.

Not sure why you'd miss the larger point other than for the convenience of avoiding real discussion.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63613 on: January 18, 2021, 09:08:01 PM »

ADL has almost never felt the love from the American people, but I dare say that the average American wouldn't know what ADL stood for, religiously, to save their lives.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #63614 on: January 18, 2021, 09:28:57 PM »

On Dr Phil just now...a Chinese-American girl, came to America when she was 5, former Miss Michigan who had her crown stripped after one day for posting "racist, Islamophobic, and inappropriate" (and Conservative views) things on the internet.
She said it's harder to come out as a Conservative than as gay.
Bullied at primary school (age 5-11) for being Chinese, then bullied in high school for her Conservative views, then spat on at university for her Conservative views and wearing a MAGA hat. Bullied in university and kicked out of her sorority for her Conservative views.
On hijab day at university she refused to wear a hijab...more drama. Seems she refused to wear a hijab "because they are not a fashion statement".
Wise people never discuss "sex, religion, or politics" in public including workplaces today.

One idea is to be 'Senator Leyton's wife' in Iron Jawed Angels suffragist movie;

Lucy Burns [at the gallery function] : "Hello, have you heard about our fundraising for Votes for Women"?
Senator's wife: "I don't follow politics, Miss Burns, I don't have the head for it"

« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 09:45:19 PM by bambu. »
Pages: 1 ... 4239 4240 [4241] 4242 4243 ... 4288