Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1583750 times)

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #120 on: August 01, 2018, 04:32:05 PM »

Re:  "gun groups logic"

- and of course you will attach this to an entire nation of Trump supporters, Republicans.....

Where did you get that,  from what I posted?   Many GOP are opposed to the extreme position.  Ghost guns are already illegal,  a policy with strong bipartisan support.   In an age with 3D printers,  banning the dissemination of blueprints for them is common sense enforcement.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 01, 2018, 04:50:52 PM »

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/trump_administration/trump_approval_index_history

TRUMP back up to 48%

51% his high water mark for the year
59% his high water mark overall

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 01, 2018, 05:21:46 PM »

I am clearly missing some context for this anecdote.   Are you self-identifying as an idiot grocery virgin who lacks a filter,  or was your anecdotal reply in response to an earlier post from said idiot, and of a satiric nature?   Or,  more alarming,  did you experience some kind of trauma that erased all grocery protocols from your mind? 

OK,  guess you mean Trump.  I sometimes forget what forum I'm in.
No! NO! Our Peerless Leader is Incapable of Error!

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/399916-sanders-defends-trump-claim-that-grocery-stores-require-id

Does she have any credibility left?
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 01, 2018, 05:45:25 PM »

Yeah, man - hate those fuckers that never have to buy groceries.

I don't think anyone asserted that.

So...one should love/excuse a guy who is demonstrating how disconnected he is from the common American's experience?

Hardly a very American thing to do. We don't have royalty in this country.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 01, 2018, 05:46:48 PM »

I am clearly missing some context for this anecdote.   Are you self-identifying as an idiot grocery virgin who lacks a filter,  or was your anecdotal reply in response to an earlier post from said idiot, and of a satiric nature?   Or,  more alarming,  did you experience some kind of trauma that erased all grocery protocols from your mind? 

OK,  guess you mean Trump.  I sometimes forget what forum I'm in.
No! NO! Our Peerless Leader is Incapable of Error!

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/399916-sanders-defends-trump-claim-that-grocery-stores-require-id

Does she have any credibility left?

Well, how much did she start with?
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
Re: Immigration
« Reply #125 on: August 01, 2018, 06:13:47 PM »

"Foreign-born individuals exhibit remarkably low levels of involvement in crime across their life course." (Bianca Bersani, University of Massachusetts, 2014. Published in Justice Quarterly.)

The immigrants come to America for a better life, and very few of the immigrants are criminals.

No wall!

Salute,

Tony V.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 01, 2018, 06:58:03 PM »

Trump is a screwed criminal

The GOP is a sinking ship

Kid is a rat that should have learned to swim
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 01, 2018, 09:15:44 PM »

I am clearly missing some context for this anecdote.   Are you self-identifying as an idiot grocery virgin who lacks a filter,  or was your anecdotal reply in response to an earlier post from said idiot, and of a satiric nature?   Or,  more alarming,  did you experience some kind of trauma that erased all grocery protocols from your mind?   Or did you just mean you forgot your wallet and realized you would have to drive very carefully on your return trip?

Trump said you need an ID to buy groceries.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/01/politics/trump-grocery-shopping-id/index.html

He was sort of correct..in his generalising way.

He's also correct in demanding that all voters be required to photo-ID identify themselves on election day.
...and when registering to be added to the electoral roll...in every step of the voting process.

Can't be having fake voters!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 11:09:46 PM by bambu-wisdom »

barton

« Reply #128 on: August 01, 2018, 09:22:28 PM »

When I was in England,  around age 20, I attempted to buy a fish pie in a grocery and was asked for ID.   It was the checker's first day and he was confused by the pie filling being mussels in a wine sauce.   His supervisor, a kindly woman who looked like the cop* in "Broadchurch, " came over and put the young bloke's mind at rest,  that I could not get inebriated on wine-based sauces and did not need an ID.   

*Olivia Colman,  if anyone cares.   

barton

« Reply #129 on: August 01, 2018, 09:24:51 PM »

I neglected to mention that the fish pie was delicious.   Whoever says English food is terrible has never eaten a fish pie.   

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 01, 2018, 11:16:55 PM »

Good news!

bambu-ilk were wondering, seeking clarification.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/jul/25/us-australia-alliance-rock-solid-mike-pompeo-says

US-Australia alliance 'rock solid', Mike Pompeo says

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 01, 2018, 11:26:06 PM »

and following on from the ANZUS Alliance good news, more wisdom...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/07/31/us-japan-australia-sign-infrastructure-agreement-counter-chinas/

US, Japan and Australia sign infrastructure agreement to counter China's belt and road

Australia and Japan have joined with the United States to create a scheme for investing in countries across Asia and the Pacific in an apparent attempt to counter the growing influence of China,  whose massive Belt and Road Initiative could involve as much as £760 billion of spending over the next decade.

Describing the scheme, Mike Pompeo, the United States Secretary of State, promised a new era of engagement and pledged to “oppose” any country that attempted to dominate the Asia-Pacific, or Indo-Pacific, region.

#####

Better late than never...but China's money [oh how was China ever allowed to become what it is today?] will be far too much to counter, seems to me.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 02, 2018, 02:07:36 AM »

Good news!

bambu-ilk were wondering, seeking clarification.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/jul/25/us-australia-alliance-rock-solid-mike-pompeo-says

US-Australia alliance 'rock solid', Mike Pompeo says

Crab grass-delusion, trump and Pompeo are never on the same page on foreign policy. You are being sold out by trump and trump-ilk. It should almost make you feel like we do in America.

Remove the douche

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/08/collusion-is-a-question-of-loyalty-not-legality/566606/
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 02, 2018, 03:30:23 AM »

I remember when George HW 41 Bush was running for re-election and he was concerned about the economy.  He said if everybody just bought a little more, things would be fine.  So he took a photo-op trip to a suburban Virginia mall and bought some socks.  But he was so insulated from everyday life, that he didn't actually carry any money or credit cards and in front of a press gathering had to borrow money from a Secret Service agent to boost the economy with that sock purchase. 

There was also a time circa 1990 that Bush 41 saw a laser price scanner, which was early 80's technology, and marveled at it and asked many questions and was really impressed.  Of course by then it was in everybody else's daily life for nearly a decade.  [my first high school job was working as a cashier at a Shop-Rite grocery store, and they switched over to the laser scanners in either late '82 or early '83]

My favorite out-of-touch-with-daily-life incident was when China opened up a new mega-highway from the airport to Beijing for the Olympics.  And  .... (to be continued)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 11:28:45 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 02, 2018, 03:49:13 AM »

I can’t wait Bo.

Meanwhile, even on those rare moments when republicans aren’t criminally suborning democracy, the are being criminally negligent on their actual responsibilities. Here’s just one critical example

http://www.vox.com/2018/8/1/17561014/immigration-social-security

Trump to boomers, “Screw you!”

Richard P. Feynman
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 4288