Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1600243 times)

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #225 on: August 05, 2018, 10:41:10 AM »

Tulsi is not an elitist,  but what does that epithet really mean in terms of actual policy positions in the party?   I hear it used as a put down,  but which party has the most definable record of passing legislation which favors an elite group in America?   Perhaps Luee et al could offer some insight.

Tulsi is a PILF.   And would get my vote as the first POTUSILF.  (insert Roy Orbison growl here)   

Warren,  however,  as others point out here,  has more of the asskicking quality we need.   

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 05, 2018, 10:44:52 AM »

Treason Greetings from the White House

Trump tweets about Jr's Russian meetings

Fake News reporting, a complete fabrication, that I am concerned about the meeting my wonderful son, Donald, had in Trump Tower. This was a meeting to get information on an opponent, totally legal and done all the time in politics - and it went nowhere. I did not know about it! ;)

Legal collusion=conspiracy with our enemies=treason.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:47:47 AM by bankshot1 »

oilcan

« Reply #227 on: August 05, 2018, 11:48:36 AM »

Tulsi's snuggling up to Assad kills the ILF part for me.  Well,  almost.   

I stopped reading Trump tweets.   That stuff will eat a hole in your brain.   Just bear in mind every tweet of his boils down to,  "I am awesome.   Anyone who says otherwise is a horrible lying sack of shit. " 

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 05, 2018, 12:15:09 PM »

Elitist positions;

Open borders, screw the unions and working poor and those that went through the process legally.

Open enrollment and free education. Everybody deserves it.

Screw the vets. Not needed, everyone loves us.

No dirty coal mines or oil wells. Think of the beautiful landscapes ruined and bears and reindeer who have to listen and see the man made monstrosities. We can by cheap oil from our Saudi friends.

Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 05, 2018, 12:24:41 PM »

The mere fact that these are positions (which, if you are ascribing all of them to the Democratic Party, are mischaracterized anyway) which you happen to disagree with does not make them "elitist."
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 05, 2018, 01:25:45 PM »

No, FDR the leader of the "new deal" and father of the new Democratic party was not pro-immigration and he did not turn away the blue collar vote. He put large numbers to work in NRA projects.

---The Donald Trump campaign is slamming Hillary Clinton for saying that half of Trump’s supporters belong in a "basket of deplorables.  "Speaking at the LGBT for Hillary Gala in New York City on Sept. 9, 2016, Clinton said that Trump’s supporters were "racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic." Trump said the remarks showed "her true contempt for everyday Americans."---

Her plan was to reeducate and retrain the citizens she put out of work. So compassionate!

Was somebody claiming otherwise about FDR?

FDR only had problems with some immigrants.

Yes, you quote Trump and the news well. How exciting for you.
Clinton said that Trump’s supporters were "racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic."

So, here we are in July, 2018. What's the word on the street?
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/economy/worker-retraining-needed-to-maintain-growth-white-house-says
“There simply are not enough unemployed workers in the current pool of those looking for work to match the growth in demand for new workers unleashed by the Trump administration’s pro-growth policies,” President Trump’s Council of Economic Advisers wrote in a 29-page analysis. “Rather, employment gains must also come from working-age Americans returning to employment from the sidelines.”
Another option would be to allow government grants, along the lines of Pell Grants, to be used for older workers seeking retraining, rather than just younger students pursuing education.

Oddly enough, that seems to be a fair description of a substantial bulk of his supporters, if not each of them being all of those. Do you disagree? Do you think it is only 40% rather than the 50% she claimed?

Her plan was to reeducate and retrain out of work citizens. What do you think Tulsi Gabbard's plan is going to be? Do you expect her to be less aggressive on climate issues than Clinton?!

Really?

https://gabbard.house.gov/news/press-releases/rep-tulsi-gabbard-s-act-gains-momentum-congress
“It’s long overdue for Congress to take action to address the threat of climate change to our people and our planet,” said Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard. “We must end our addiction to fossil fuels and transition America toward a clean, sustainable energy economy and prioritize our future. I urge my fellow lawmakers to join us in supporting the OFF Act to put our country on the path to a 100 percent clean energy economy.”
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 05, 2018, 01:41:15 PM »

My unrealistic choice is Tulsi Gabbard

Not a phony baloney liberal elitist.

---She served in a field medical unit of the Hawaii Army National Guard in a combat zone in Iraq from 2004 to 2005 and was deployed to Kuwait from 2008 to 2009.[5] Gabbard previously served in the Hawaii House of Representatives from 2002 to 2004, becoming at age 21 the youngest woman to be elected to a U.S. state legislature at the time.[6]

Gabbard is noted for her unorthodox political positions within her party.[7] Gabbard supports abortion rights, opposed the Trans-Pacific Partnership, has called for a restoration of the Glass–Steagall Act, and changed her stance to support same-sex marriage in 2012. She denounces aspects of American government policy in wars like those in Iraq, Libya, and Syria, and opposes removal of Bashar al-Assad from power, arguing that the country's civil war is a source of the Syrian refugee crisis.---

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulsi_Gabbard

What makes those, except for the al-Assad component, peculiar for her party? Supporting abortion rights is hardly novel. The TPP opposition and support both cross party lines. Glass-Steagall is another piece that is pretty common - Clinton opposed it, as proposed, because it would not have prevented the 2008 problem and she wanted something stronger that would have gone beyond G-S.

Who didn't denounce how we handled Iraq, even among those who believed we should be there even after we discovered there were no WMD there.

I like Tulsi Gabbard, Luee, but none of what you listed make her particularly stand out. She has other redeeming features.

But she would be under 40 on Inauguration Day, 2021, and I think that would be very hard for a ton of voters.

She served her country, she is a democrat, she did not drink the Saudi moderate rebel kool aid and she definitely is not a liberal elitist of the Clinton-Warren ilk. Most importantly she has proven she can win elections. Assad was a big issue for me he was the only leader of the time who fought ISIS and won. Half the world would have worn black masks and butchered Christians.

"She has proven she can win elections."

Luee, her district has never elected a Republican. Never.

When they have had wide open special elections, without primaries, no GOP candidate has reached 10% of the vote, while 2 or 3 Dems finished ahead of them. They have not topped 30% since 2006 and have not topped 40% since 1972!!

She has proven nothing by winning in the Hawaiian 2nd Congressional District.

Please, Luee, stop and think before you post this bullshit. Or at least research, first?

p.s. Her father got 37.23% as the GOP candidate for that seat in 2004, but he shifted to become a Democrat in 2007 and is a current state senator.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 05, 2018, 01:45:36 PM »

Elitist positions;

Open borders, screw the unions and working poor and those that went through the process legally.

Open enrollment and free education. Everybody deserves it.

Screw the vets. Not needed, everyone loves us.

No dirty coal mines or oil wells. Think of the beautiful landscapes ruined and bears and reindeer who have to listen and see the man made monstrosities. We can by cheap oil from our Saudi friends.

What makes it elitist?

If you wanted to claim it's Neo-liberal, I could understand it.

But what does elitism have to do with anything beyond disdain for the racists, misogynists, xenophobes, etc? (And even that I would argue has nothing to do with elitism, but it is closer as it claims superiority to them.)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 05, 2018, 02:00:16 PM »

Gabbard will be a Senator in time.

She's a Hindu (ahem-woman).  Not sure we will ever elect one to highest office.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 05, 2018, 02:03:28 PM »

Gabbard will be a Senator in time.

She's a Hindu (ahem-woman).  Not sure we will ever elect one to highest office.

Yup.

A substantial percentage of Americans are bigots, including approximately half of the Trump supporters.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 05, 2018, 02:12:06 PM »

Hey, I can post twits, too!

https://twitter.com/ThisWeekABC/status/1026095781583892480
Pres. Trump's attorney Jay Sekulow on previously denying that the president was involved in putting out a statement on the Trump Tower meeting: "I had bad information at that time and made a mistake in my statement ... over time facts develop"

Gee, wonder where his bad information could have come from!

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 05, 2018, 02:19:59 PM »

Might turn that around -

where would Jay have gotten DIFFERENT information?

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 05, 2018, 02:27:21 PM »

A truth-telling client?
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 05, 2018, 02:33:27 PM »

So the guy was just doing his job.

Got it.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 05, 2018, 02:34:09 PM »

"I think you are fuckin lying", might not have been a good way to approach the president.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 4288