Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1598775 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #406 on: August 09, 2018, 08:22:14 PM »

It is of course just wrong.  The idea that immigration runs counter to the idea of America is breathtakingly ignorant of the very history of this country.

While this may be true, I do think it's important to add that for a very long time large amounts of Americans have been more in favor immigration as an idea, rather than a policy.
What Americans have been and are still interested in is what power our Government has in controlling Immigration.
SCOTUS said in 1893
every sovereign nation has the power, as inherent in sovereignty, and essential to self-preservation, to forbid the entrance of foreigners within its dominions.’”
That principle was upheld this year by the Court in ruling in favor of the Trump Travel Ban.

Obviously we  can allow others to join our country but we have the sovereign right to specify the terms and qualifications. We said, in the Declaration of Independence, that Americans are absolved from perpetual allegiance to the British Crown
To
no individual can be ruled without his consent.

So any immigration policy based on charity, compassion, or trite phrases like “ diversity is our strength” is ridiculous.

We have the duty to insist that those wishing to join us will adopt our habits, manners, independence, and self-reliance.
Plus present useful skills to prevent them from becoming victims of the welfare state.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 09, 2018, 08:53:51 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/09/politics/judge-halts-deportations-sessions/index.html

The judge is considering declaring Sessions in contempt - and it is long past time that he do so, given the refusal of this administration to heed his instructions.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 09, 2018, 09:03:36 PM »

It’s weird to see Red come out against republicans, bankers, fossil fuel extractors, payday lenders being allowed to immigrate into the United States. If he doesn’t want to be burdened by these welfare dependent groups, who am I to impinge on his sovereignty?
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #409 on: August 09, 2018, 09:09:35 PM »

So NEEDS' point is that because immigration CREATED the country, en masse' immigration should always be accepted - with no real limits whatsoever.

There is, of course, a huge valley between no limits whatsoever, and the position articulated in my post which is current policy plus a reasonable path to citizenship, plus citizen status for DACA recipients.  That is, as I said, the policy that according to polling is supported by a majority in this country. 

First off - "the majority of the country" tally doesnt matter on issues - the current controlling party gets to dictate.

If we all voted on everything the nation would be more of a mess

As for your description of your current stance - happy to hear you recommend the Guatemalans, Mexicans, etc trying to illegally enter our nation at the souithern border be turned away -

Seig heil, motherfuckahs!
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 09, 2018, 10:55:28 PM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 09, 2018, 11:34:09 PM »

https://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article216387050.html

The GOP doubles down on its racism in Missouri.

It’s both who they are at their core and all they have left.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 09, 2018, 11:45:22 PM »

Steve Schmidt, former GOP member sums up "President" Trump and the GOP quite effectively.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 10, 2018, 12:06:40 AM »

So NEEDS' point is that because immigration CREATED the country, en masse' immigration should always be accepted - with no real limits whatsoever.

There is, of course, a huge valley between no limits whatsoever, and the position articulated in my post which is current policy plus a reasonable path to citizenship, plus citizen status for DACA recipients.  That is, as I said, the policy that according to polling is supported by a majority in this country. 

First off - "the majority of the country" tally doesnt matter on issues - the current controlling party gets to dictate.

My point is that a majority of Americans disagree with Ingraham and your idea of what “America” is.

heh

No, I dont think this is so.

barton

« Reply #414 on: August 10, 2018, 12:37:15 AM »

My point is that a majority of Americans disagree with Ingraham and your idea of what “America” is.

heh

No, I dont think.

FIFY

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 10, 2018, 12:48:48 AM »

heh

No, I dont think this is so.

Duh.

Of course you don't think this is so, Kiid.

But yours is the party in which a majority of the members think Christianity should be the state religion and a plurality thinks that "President" Trump should be allowed to shut down any media firm that he, in his sole "wisdom," thinks is behaving badly.

43%!

So, even if you were right that the majority believes what you believe, I don't give a fuck because your party is palpably unamerican by the definition of what makes this country different from every other religiously led fiefdom.

And if you don't repudiate their opinion, that puts you in that boat, too.

Perhaps you and Red should just get yourselves a pair of these tee shirts!

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 10, 2018, 01:58:51 AM »

Kid is trying to get himself in order and presentable for a move to Mississippi. To do that he has to show he speaks dumb fluently. He practices here.

Richard P. Feynman

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 10, 2018, 05:37:56 AM »

One only has to look toward Europe where they refer to it as a migrant crisis. Millions and millions have come over bringing with them a little of the old sod in the form of violence, poverty, and a failed xenophobic medieval culture that does not allow assimilation.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 10, 2018, 07:08:56 AM »

Kris Koback, Donald Trump’s already disgraced voter fraud czar, committing fraud to change the vote in his primary election in Kansas.

http://amp.kansascity.com/latest-news/article216397410.html

So perfectly the story of the GOP and Trump.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

barton

« Reply #419 on: August 10, 2018, 09:31:26 AM »

Yep,  there have been reports of possible voter intimidation in western Kansas.   This will surely end up in the courts.   
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 4288