Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1584972 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #420 on: August 10, 2018, 09:58:58 AM »

Trump uses N-word. It's on tape.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/omarosa-trump-racist-uses-n-110041720.html

Appealing to his base?
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: August 10, 2018, 10:25:56 AM »

Kris Koback, Donald Trump’s already disgraced voter fraud czar, committing fraud to change the vote in his primary election in Kansas.

http://amp.kansascity.com/latest-news/article216397410.html

So perfectly the story of the GOP and Trump.

There are so many such stories. Here's another, this from Florida, where karma is hard at work.

https://orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2018/08/07/florida-republican-who-tried-to-abolish-epa-says-toxic-algae-crisis-is-horrifying
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

oilcan

« Reply #422 on: August 10, 2018, 11:28:35 AM »

Appealing to his base?

some thoughts:

1.  I have little doubt that Trump has used the N-word.  Or the other racist epithets alleged in the article.

2.  Where is the tape?

3.  She lost her job and has a book coming out.  This is not the stuff that impartial and objective sources of factual information come from. 

4.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see all Trump's words and actions catch up with him.  But the profit motive, as well as the revenge motive, is strong enough here to cloud the hope of a good clean catch. 

5.  I have no doubt that a portion of Trump's base would replay such a tape over and over, luxuriating in such piehole sounds that way The Dude enjoys his bowling alley tape that he listens to over and over.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #423 on: August 10, 2018, 11:42:58 AM »

Kris Koback, Donald Trump’s already disgraced voter fraud czar, committing fraud to change the vote in his primary election in Kansas.

There is only one solution in Kansas:

Get Katherine Harris!

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #424 on: August 10, 2018, 11:56:39 AM »

Re:  "I'd rather be Russian than a Democrat"

I dont happen to believe all Democrats act - or should act - like all other Democrats

Same for Republicans

barton

« Reply #425 on: August 10, 2018, 12:16:56 PM »

There is only one solution in Kansas:

Get Katherine Harris!

Yes, get someone who fostered a system that made it very difficult for ex-felons to restore their voting rights, and then purged as many of them as possible.  She supported institutional bias in a big way. 

barton

« Reply #426 on: August 10, 2018, 12:20:48 PM »

Re:  "I'd rather be Russian than a Democrat"

I dont happen to believe all Democrats act - or should act - like all other Democrats

Same for Republicans

Ocasio-Cortez Democrats are quite different from Heidi Heitkamp Democrats, for sure. 

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #427 on: August 10, 2018, 12:42:20 PM »

I don't understand why the Dems don't run directly against tax cuts for corporations and the wealthy.

You have major companies such as Exxon Mobil with billion dollar profits and not paying any corporate tax on profits because they play the tax game.

I'd call for a minimum 15% tax on profits for all companies.
No more zeroing out your taxes (for decades in some cases by some companies).   And look into eliminating and reducing the many ways to hide and shield and other mislabel profits.

I saw recently a stat that US workers pay something like $1.6T in annual income tax, while companies pay around $250B.    Workers pay nearly 5x more than the companies they work for.  The way the tax burden has been shifted from companies to workers is part of the inequality story.  A huge boon for executives and stockholders.

You want to close the deficit, simply drop a $600B tax on companies.
I'd be very interested to know how much my minimum 15% corporate tax rate would generate.  It would be a good start.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: August 10, 2018, 12:54:37 PM »

Appealing to his base?

some thoughts:

1.  I have little doubt that Trump has used the N-word.  Or the other racist epithets alleged in the article.

2.  Where is the tape?

3.  She lost her job and has a book coming out.  This is not the stuff that impartial and objective sources of factual information come from. 

4.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see all Trump's words and actions catch up with him.  But the profit motive, as well as the revenge motive, is strong enough here to cloud the hope of a good clean catch. 

5.  I have no doubt that a portion of Trump's base would replay such a tape over and over, luxuriating in such piehole sounds that way The Dude enjoys his bowling alley tape that he listens to over and over.
She is also a minor reality tv star unwilling to realize that her sell by date passed when LeBron James was a rookie. Meaning no tape, no issue.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: August 10, 2018, 01:07:09 PM »

Kathrine Harris is among the American greats right beside Benedict Arnold and Alger Hiss.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #430 on: August 10, 2018, 01:26:43 PM »

I don't understand why the Dems don't run directly against tax cuts for corporations and the wealthy.

They are.  Democrats running in 2018 have targeted the Trump Tax Cut.  Its Republicans who won’t defend them, while hoping yelling “Pelosi!” and running the other way works out for them as an election strategy.

Used to be, I think, that a tax cut (for whomever) was a safe bet politically and not a big mobilizing force for voters who opposed it.  That’s not working out this time around, for a few reasons;

A)   The guy who proposed it…he is unpopular, and when you are a fat cat who (along with your buddies) personally benefits hugely from a policy it is going to get more scrutiny from voters.  Republicans tried that play on Obama with Solyndra, but this time it’s real.  Outside of some other possibilities, this is why Trump won’t release his tax returns.  Best voters don’t know exactly how many billions Trump signed over to himself.

B)   The hyped benefits are, so far, all hype.  Republicans sold the cut as primarily a booster for middle class wages. Wages this year haven’t kept up with inflation, so real wages have gone down in 2018, especially for people below the top 25%.  The same people Paul Ryan & Co. promised big raises to (remember that $4,000/year number?) haven’t seen squat while stock buybacks set records.  People who don’t pay attention to the daily back and forth of politics notice when they look at their paychecks once or twice a month and see that they have been lied to.

C)   Democrats have done a good job articulating the trade-offs, and (accurately) describing Republican priorities.  I think it was Connor Lamb who had the ad that highlighted how quickly Ryan pivoted from passing the $1.5 Trillion tax cut to proposing cuts in social spending.

D)   Republicans spent 8 years hyping the dangers of a deficit, and while they are strangely silent on that now, people remember.  And no one who isn’t a deeply indoctrinated right winger believes the bullshit that tax cuts pay for themselves anymore.

Republicans want to tell the working class that immigrants are to blame for their lack of economic advancement, Democrats are having some success pointing at the real culprits.  And when your target is as large as a big orange blonde inflatable baby, that helps.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

kiidcarter8

• View Profile

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #433 on: August 10, 2018, 03:01:29 PM »

YAWN....
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: August 10, 2018, 03:06:14 PM »

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/08/the-battle-that-erupted-in-charlottesville-is-far-from-over/567167/?utm_source=twb

The endgame is to push you all into Mississippi and quarantine you there till, fueled by global warming and your own ignorance, flood, insects and disease finish you off. It’s only fair. It’s what your block is trying to do to the nation as a whole. If we encourage and contain yourself-immolation, maybe we can save the rest of the forest.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 4288