Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1875745 times)

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #1215 on: August 22, 2018, 08:11:02 PM »

"You don't even have to be convicted of a crime to lose your job in this Constitutional Republic, if this body determines that your conduct as a public official is clearly out of bounds in your role...because impeachment is not about punishment.  Impeachment is about cleansing the office.  Impeachment is about restoring honor and integrity to the office. "

- Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC)

And wow, really well said.  I guess there are some Republicans with some honor and moral values around after all.

Don't get carried away.

No, really.  I am impressed that there is a Republican in the Senate who would set a standard for impeachment that puts the integrity of our highest office and the government itself above politics and party. 

Bravo, Senator Graham.

I don't see how you came to the conclusion that he did that.

If I thought he had, I would agree with you. But evidence in the way of votes suggest that that was grandstanding as surely as he has engaged in since then.

I was being sarcastic, of course, in implying that Graham would use the same standard today.

Graham's tweet, which points out that no Cohen or Manafort developments have revealed charges or convictions for colluding with the Russian Government would seem to indicate that he has for some reason changed his mind since 1999.

As in, then, he thought a crime wasn't required for impeachment of the President.  Now, he thinks any development is irrelevant to the President unless it proves the worst crime we can imagine his committing.

That is quite a change, and I can't help but wonder if it has something to do with the party affiliation of the President in question.
More likely is the obvious.
You can’t read English.

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: August 22, 2018, 08:23:07 PM »

It's all goin' down in bambuland.

Hopefully by the end of this day we'll have a new Prime Minister, Peter Dutton, for President Trump to deal with.
No-idea Turnbull [the Prime Minister who rang Trump and caused all that drama, has reportedly stood aside as Prime Minister just now to allow a Party Room vote for a new leader/new Prime Minister.

The so call 'moderates' faction of the Liberal Party[Conservatives] has reportedly decided to run a candidate Scott Morrison against Peter Dutton.
Baaah!
bambu-ilk want Peter Dutton as Prime Minister.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 08:46:26 PM by bambu-wisdom »

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: August 22, 2018, 08:26:07 PM »

Does Cohen know what it's like to spend 5 years in a federal prison?

I'd be begging Trump to offer me a pardon, and I'd take it.

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: August 22, 2018, 09:06:15 PM »

California school drops dress code...lets students wear what they like.

Tube tops, pyjamas...kids are wearing anything.  lol

Fox News guy was speaking with some woman from the "Liberal Sherpa".
She...'Legs are legs', 'women go topless in Europe'.
Fox guy; 'What about students wearing sombreros'?

Interesting interview it was.

Fun times ahead in CA schools, as girls attend class wearing 'serviettes' for tops and 'tea towels' for skirts.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 09:18:35 PM by bambu-wisdom »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: August 22, 2018, 09:46:23 PM »

Fun times ahead in CA schools, as girls attend class wearing 'serviettes' for tops and 'tea towels' for skirts.

Yeah - can't expect boys to control themselves.

Except the gay ones.

You are a piece of work.

And not a good one.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: August 22, 2018, 09:48:24 PM »

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/08/what-trumps-supporters-think-of-corruption/568147/?utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=the-atlantic-fb-test-312-4-&utm_content=edit-promo&utm_medium=social

When Morning Consult asked Americans in May 2016 to explain why they disliked Hillary Clinton, the second-most-common answer was that she was “corrupt.” And yet, Trump supporters appear largely unfazed by the mounting evidence that Trump is the least ethical president in modern American history. When asked last month whether they considered Trump corrupt, only 14 percent of Republicans said yes. Even Cohen’s allegation is unlikely to change that.

The answer may lie in how Trump and his supporters define corruption. In a forthcoming book titled How Fascism Works, the Yale philosophy professor Jason Stanley makes an intriguing claim. “Corruption, to the fascist politician,” he suggests, “is really about the corruption of purity rather than of the law. Officially, the fascist politician’s denunciations of corruption sound like a denunciation of political corruption. But such talk is intended to evoke corruption in the sense of the usurpation of the traditional order.”

Fox’s decision to focus on the Iowa murder rather than Cohen’s guilty plea illustrates Stanley’s point. In the eyes of many Fox viewers, I suspect, the network isn’t ignoring corruption so much as highlighting the kind that really matters. When Trump instructed Cohen to pay off women with whom he’d had affairs, he may have been violating the law. But he was upholding traditional gender and class hierarchies. Since time immemorial, powerful men have been cheating on their wives and using their power to evade the consequences.

Pay attention. I already posted that.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: August 22, 2018, 10:05:28 PM »

Yeah - can't expect boys to control themselves.

Except the gay ones.

You are a piece of work.

And not a good one.

I was a teenage boy once.

Scantily clad girls in class...hmmm, maybe it's a plan to have the boys fail all their exams and the girls take over the colleges.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 10:13:38 PM by bambu-wisdom »

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: August 22, 2018, 10:11:17 PM »

"Illegal immigrant charged with the murder of Iowa collage student Mollie Tibbetts"- Fox News.

#####

Illegal immigration, don't ya just love it?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/fb-6088391/POLITICIANS-CALL-TIGHTER-IMMIGRATION-LAWS-MOLLIE-TIBBETTS-MURDER.html

POLITICIANS CALL FOR TIGHTER IMMIGRATION LAWS AFTER MOLLIE TIBBETTS' MURDER

President Donald Trump was among the first to turn talk about the tragedy of Mollie Tibbetts' murder to calls for tighter immigration laws on Tuesday after it was revealed the 20-year-old Iowa student was murdered by a suspected illegal alien.

#####

Donald Trump understands.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: August 22, 2018, 10:21:36 PM »

Chuck Schumer wants Brett Kavanaugh denied a SCOTUS seat because of Roger Cohen’s guilty plea.

Reason?
According to Schumer( a lawyer) Kavanaugh could sit as a juror in any impeachment trial of Trump.

Not making this up.

Chuck wants all democrats to know he is fighting hard against Kavanaugh even it it makes Chuck look really stupid.

And it does.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: August 22, 2018, 10:28:49 PM »

The corrupt appointee of a corrupt interloper cannot sit on the court. We’re going to have to remove Gorsich after we block Kavanaugh. Good thing Merrick Garland is still around to replace him.

Lindsey Graham was given a taste of The kompromat file on him and has since gone belly up. He probably drinks himself to death after he leaves the Senate in disgrace.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: August 22, 2018, 10:55:44 PM »

A treasonous president conspiring with our enemy to manipulate our election who is also likely guilty of multiple felonies from bank fraud, money laundering and tax evasion gets to appoint his own judge who may rule on matters specific to the traitor?

Felons can't even vote, never mind fix the Supreme Court!

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: August 22, 2018, 11:18:05 PM »

So who does Barbara Underwood break and flip first, Don Jr., Eric, or Ivanka? They shouldn’t have played around in daddy’s septic sandbox. They all have his taint on them and are subject to NY justice.

Who run’s chump’s re-election campaign (not that he was elected in the first place) when his three oldest children are singing the Fishkill blues? Or has he quit by then?
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: August 22, 2018, 11:19:22 PM »

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/08/what-trumps-supporters-think-of-corruption/568147/?utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=the-atlantic-fb-test-312-4-&utm_content=edit-promo&utm_medium=social

When Morning Consult asked Americans in May 2016 to explain why they disliked Hillary Clinton, the second-most-common answer was that she was “corrupt.” And yet, Trump supporters appear largely unfazed by the mounting evidence that Trump is the least ethical president in modern American history. When asked last month whether they considered Trump corrupt, only 14 percent of Republicans said yes. Even Cohen’s allegation is unlikely to change that.

The answer may lie in how Trump and his supporters define corruption. In a forthcoming book titled How Fascism Works, the Yale philosophy professor Jason Stanley makes an intriguing claim. “Corruption, to the fascist politician,” he suggests, “is really about the corruption of purity rather than of the law. Officially, the fascist politician’s denunciations of corruption sound like a denunciation of political corruption. But such talk is intended to evoke corruption in the sense of the usurpation of the traditional order.”

Fox’s decision to focus on the Iowa murder rather than Cohen’s guilty plea illustrates Stanley’s point. In the eyes of many Fox viewers, I suspect, the network isn’t ignoring corruption so much as highlighting the kind that really matters. When Trump instructed Cohen to pay off women with whom he’d had affairs, he may have been violating the law. But he was upholding traditional gender and class hierarchies. Since time immemorial, powerful men have been cheating on their wives and using their power to evade the consequences.

Pay attention. I already posted that.

But a lot of people have you on ignore.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: August 22, 2018, 11:21:14 PM »

Chuck Schumer wants Brett Kavanaugh denied a SCOTUS seat because of Roger Cohen’s guilty plea.

That Roger Cohen sure is a rogue!

https://www.nytimes.com/column/roger-cohen
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 4288