Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1595669 times)

Yankguy1

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #1560 on: August 27, 2018, 11:26:56 PM »

:o
No proof except those quotes from myriad Republican politicians explaining the precise reason for ID laws. For approximately the 12,465,233rd time since these discussions began.Why enact these laws?

But you have your chance. Again. Why are ID laws needed?
A little late since that ship has sailed over 30 times.
So back to your original answer: SCOREBOARD. No reason needed.
You got a better yardstick to measure with?
I'll answer your question when you answer mine you amoral hack.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

Itz ME!

• View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: August 27, 2018, 11:30:32 PM »

I really didn't like Post loss John McCain.

I don't particularly blame him. Al Gore and others have crawled away into their cave to cry and grow a beard after they lost a bitterly fought effort to win. John McCain didn't have that luxury.

He had to deal with it in public and he did so by becoming the worst of the right wing partisans.

I don't blame him, given the way the comics were all over him on the age thing. It was tired before Mc Cain was. And the country was all about Barack. We were going to make history. And Dubya had made a royal mess out of everything! So the chance of Mc Cain getting elected was miniscule to start with, That's why the R's backed away and let him have the nom. Hot potato!

But he had the turn, the twist in the final act before the curtain came down.

But before the election, he was a favorite uncle. He was on The Daily Show as their most frequent guest (of there about) his rapport with Jon Stewart was inspiring.

Overall, I liked John McCain. Even when we disagreed. Even when I didn't like him (there was a time when I REALLY didn't like him. I felt betrayed by him.)

When he told that woman "No No No, he's a good man! We just see things differently, but he loves his country." (or words to that effect.) That reasonable guy who looked hatred in the eye and knew that it was really just fear. Fear that had been whipped up in his own service by the people he served shoulder to shoulder with. He knew it was bad.

Godspeed, John McCain.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #1562 on: August 27, 2018, 11:32:41 PM »

I really didn't like Post loss John McCain.

I don't particularly blame him. Al Gore and others have crawled away into their cave to cry and grow a beard after they lost a bitterly fought effort to win. John McCain didn't have that luxury.

He had to deal with it in public and he did so by becoming the worst of the right wing partisans.

I don't blame him, given the way the comics were all over him on the age thing. It was tired before Mc Cain was. And the country was all about Barack. We were going to make history. And Dubya had made a royal mess out of everything! So the chance of Mc Cain getting elected was miniscule to start with, That's why the R's backed away and let him have the nom. Hot potato!

But he had the turn, the twist in the final act before the curtain came down.

But before the election, he was a favorite uncle. He was on The Daily Show as their most frequent guest (of there about) his rapport with Jon Stewart was inspiring.

Overall, I liked John McCain. Even when we disagreed. Even when I didn't like him (there was a time when I REALLY didn't like him. I felt betrayed by him.)

When he told that woman "No No No, he's a good man! We just see things differently, but he loves his country." (or words to that effect.) That reasonable guy who looked hatred in the eye and knew that it was really just fear. Fear that had been whipped up in his own service by the people he served shoulder to shoulder with. He knew it was bad.

Godspeed, John McCain.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: August 27, 2018, 11:49:06 PM »

No proof except those quotes from myriad Republican politicians explaining the precise reason for ID laws. For approximately the 12,465,233rd time since these discussions began.Why enact these laws?

Why are ID’s needed?
To prove the identity of the voter and simplify the voting process.
You got a better way?

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: August 28, 2018, 12:10:45 AM »

Why are IDs needed?

To catch the 19 foreign nationals in North Carolina, while at the same time threatening to disenfranchise tens of thousands of legitimate voters?

Sounds like a Republican scheme to weed out the undesirables and gerrymander without the messy need of redrawing lines.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: August 28, 2018, 01:00:45 AM »

Why are ID’s needed?
To prove the identity of the voter and simplify the voting process.
You got a better way?

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: August 28, 2018, 01:30:40 AM »

USDA to buy $1.2B in goods, offer $5B in aid to farmers hurt by trade war
By STEPHANIE EBBS
Aug 27, 2018, 4:12 PM ET

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/usda-buy-12-billion-goods-offer-billion-aid/story?id=57425001

-------------

On the bright side, the food will be going to feed the children for their school lunches, etc. I fully support feeding the children healthy food at school. And I support every program that helps to feed hungry people. 

Salute,

Tony V.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: August 28, 2018, 01:50:05 AM »

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/403426-florida-candidate-i-was-abducted-by-aliens-but-that-doesnt

Your GOP, hard at work.

I can hear you, now, telling us that this doesn't define you.

Just like the alien abduction doesn't define her.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: August 28, 2018, 02:41:27 AM »

You could point out that the rights enshrined in The Constitution are the yardstick, but Red lost his copy long ago and won’t know what you are talking about.

When the government is ready to issue free IDs and free replacement IDs to all citizens, then they can become part of a just process for administering a basic right. Otherwise, it’s just a weapon in the race and class war the GOP is waging.

Any voter ID states issuing free IDs?

Didn’t think so. 

Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: August 28, 2018, 05:06:32 AM »

Trump just had his GHW Bush moment. No, not, “David Cop-a-feel”. That was earlier and spawned a whole mire of criminal activity to cover it up, as well as bringing us the delightful and charming Michael Avanatti, et al.. It was trump’s GHWB grocery shopping moment; trying to patch through an incoming call. If, after 18 months on the job, between your tech and your staff, you are unable to easily patch through an incoming telephone call, how much work can you really say you’ve been doing? Do they take official phone calls so infrequently that they are catastrophically out of practice? Maybe he just calls people and they never call him back. He’s not the kind of guy you’d want to talk to unless, like Putin and Pecker, you had a whole safe of blackmail material to make him heel, sit, fetch, roll over, and play dead.

It’s hilarious how terrified trump is of Almo. It’s a good thing though, because it got him to throw up the white flag and surrender his trade war with Mexico. Hurray for our historic return to the status quo! Trump is sure strong on weakness. It’s his long suit to go with his long tie.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: August 28, 2018, 05:26:38 AM »

One for the emoluments and public corruption pile,

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5b849b9be4b0cf7b002e516c

Richard P. Feynman

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: August 28, 2018, 08:41:35 AM »

The President is a class CRASS act.

FTFY

No, no, no.

The President is an ASS.  Act!
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: August 28, 2018, 08:43:03 AM »

Red, the Populist, using the always effective "I know you are, but what am I?" defense.
Defense? Of what?
The Constitution is full of ways to guard against the abuses of the majority.
Please explain how Voter ID laws run afoul of any of them.

As a defender of originalism, please find in the Constitution where voters need ID.

Then post it here.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 08:49:39 AM by MrUtley3 »
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #1573 on: August 28, 2018, 09:28:39 AM »

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/feature/stolen-elections-voting-dogs-and-other-fantastic-fables-from-the-gop-voter-fraud-mythology

Voter fraud bullshit...

“Republican Kris Kobach, the Kansas Secretary of State who had pushed for strict voter ID laws around the country, served as the vice chair. Vice President Mike Pence was the chair. But few state election officials wanted anything to do with it. When the commission reached out to states for sensitive voter information, Mississippi Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann, a Republican, memorably replied that “they can go jump in the Gulf of Mexico, and Mississippi is a great state to launch from.” Even Kobach’s own Kansas office refused to hand over the information the commission requested, which included partial social security numbers.

The unenthusiastic response likely reflected officials’ understanding that the fraud commission wouldn’t turn up much. Numerous studies have found that voter fraud is far from a major issue in the U.S., and in-person fraud of the sort Trump and Kobach like to talk about — things like non-citizens showing up to vote or people returning to vote multiple times under different names — is vanishingly rare. A 2007 study by NYU’s Brennan Center for Justice memorably found that an individual American is more likely to get struck by lightning than to commit in-person voter fraud.

And yet, as of last summer, 68 percent of Republicans thought millions of illegal immigrants had voted in 2016, and almost three quarters said voter fraud happens “somewhat” or “very often.” The same survey found that nearly half of Republicans believed Trump had won the popular vote.”@
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: August 28, 2018, 09:40:03 AM »

THe only significant voter fraud committed in '16 was fraud perpetrated on the American people by the Russian/Trump Crime family conspiracy to subvert the will of most Americans. 
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 4288