Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1994682 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #2145 on: September 08, 2018, 03:47:48 AM »

Wow. There are already two full avenues of investigation for criminal culpability in what was digested of the first 7% so far. Brett was a hack and coverup artist for what, prior to this one, had been the most corrupt administration in US history. Going through the rest of his record, you’d expect to find at least two dozen more major crimes. Whatever height of judgeship he obtains, he’s not long for the courts.

kavanaugh is ugly and unworthy and we are sick of such people and most of all sick of trump. He is utter garbage and turns his supporters into garbage through their compliance to his advancing illness.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: September 08, 2018, 04:15:02 AM »

How far round the bend has Lou Dobbs gone?

Pretty damned far:
https://www.newsweek.com/fox-lou-dobbs-george-bush-liberal-1111686

He called George W. Bush a "radical liberal."
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: September 08, 2018, 04:30:39 AM »

Why is it important that documents come out?

As spelled out a couple posts ago, by facilitatorn, there are areas for criminal investigation from what little has been seen.

But at least as importantly, there is blatant evidence of perjury by Judge Kavanaugh in his 2004 and 2006 hearings with the Senate. Indisputable (other than by people who like lying, some of whom we have here, it seems).

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/09/judge-brett-kavanaugh-should-be-impeached-for-lying-during-his-confirmation-hearings.html

The standard for impeachment is not "beyond a shadow of a doubt" or even "reasonable doubt," but there is no reasonable doubt here. There is no shadow of doubt. Kavanaugh received documents he claimed never to have seen.

He lied under oath.

If he were a Democratic appointee, you can bet that Kiid and Reed would be all over it, but instead they remain silent, either pretending that they don't follow the news or unwilling to admit that Kavanaugh is unfit to be in his current seat, let alone join the Supremes.

If this is what's in the stuff the GOP thought was safe to share, just imagine what's in the rest of it.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #2148 on: September 08, 2018, 08:58:24 AM »

Why is it important that documents come out?

As spelled out a couple posts ago, by facilitatorn, there are areas for criminal investigation from what little has been seen.

But at least as importantly, there is blatant evidence of perjury by Judge Kavanaugh in his 2004 and 2006 hearings with the Senate. Indisputable (other than by people who like lying, some of whom we have here, it seems).

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/09/judge-brett-kavanaugh-should-be-impeached-for-lying-during-his-confirmation-hearings.html

The standard for impeachment is not "beyond a shadow of a doubt" or even "reasonable doubt," but there is no reasonable doubt here. There is no shadow of doubt. Kavanaugh received documents he claimed never to have seen.

He lied under oath.

If he were a Democratic appointee, you can bet that Kiid and Reed would be all over it, but instead they remain silent, either pretending that they don't follow the news or unwilling to admit that Kavanaugh is unfit to be in his current seat, let alone join the Supremes.

If this is what's in the stuff the GOP thought was safe to share, just imagine what's in the rest of it.

Grandstanding...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: September 08, 2018, 09:48:27 AM »

Why do you have a problem with my use of the term "grandstanding." ?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 09:53:32 AM by Yankguy1 »
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #2150 on: September 08, 2018, 10:07:21 AM »

That was you in here?

I was referring to the way Booker and Hirono were depicted in the media. That grandstanding put important information out here the GOP tried to keep under wraps.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: September 08, 2018, 10:09:03 AM »

https://www.facebook.com/EdJMarkey/videos/437046700150582/

More about documents.

The Democrats on the Judiciary Committee have only been allowed to see 7% of them.
I think the global moderator has finally snapped.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: September 08, 2018, 10:14:21 AM »

That was you in here?

I was referring to the way Booker and Hirono were depicted in the media. That grandstanding put important information out here the GOP tried to keep under wraps.
I think of Grandstanding as noise from Congressfolks who know that that nothing is going to come of it. And while it's nice to be right and get the information out it's better to have the votes. It would be so nice to let Reds of the world yell "scoreboard" at us.

The bottom line is who did we really think Trump was going to choose? William Brennan? And maybe, perhaps maybe, the next time the Democrats are the majority in Congress, they'll act with an awareness that they won't always be the majority. Because in the end the Republicans are far better at being unfair pricks than the Democrats.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 10:24:52 AM by Yankguy1 »
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #2153 on: September 08, 2018, 10:48:07 AM »

That was you in here?

I think of Grandstanding as noise from Congressfolks who know that that nothing is going to come of it. And while it's nice to be right and get the information out it's better to have the votes. It would be so nice to let Reds of the world yell "scoreboard" at us.

The bottom line is who did we really think Trump was going to choose? William Brennan? And maybe, perhaps maybe, the next time the Democrats are the majority in Congress, they'll act with an awareness that they won't always be the majority. Because in the end the Republicans are far better at being unfair pricks than the Democrats.

But was not just noise. It was damn fine maneuvering the Democrats and if this on the other side and it was GOP White guys they’d have been complimented for their ruthless tactics.

This nominee is more unpopular than Bork and Meyers and now looks like an un artful dodger after Harris eviscerated him.

This ain’t a done deal.

Lyndon Johnson

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: September 08, 2018, 10:51:51 AM »

Because in the end the Republicans are far better at being unfair pricks than the Democrats.

And that realization becomes the real danger to democracy. If the Dems return appropriate fire, and act as unethically as the Repubs and steal a future nomination, or otherwise subvert the will of the people, the Repubs retaliate.

Lather rinse repeat.

Except we get dirtier.

If the Dems play by the rules, the Repubs pervert the system, because as they see it demographics demand it, so they supress votes, normal people get outraged, but we can pretend a system is still in place.

Its a dangerous conundrum.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: September 08, 2018, 10:53:14 AM »

Regretfully, I think your wish is the father of your thought. I think this is a done deal. But November will be here soon.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: September 08, 2018, 11:57:37 AM »

That was you in here?

LOL

Cory Booker “ risked expulsion” from the Senate by threatening to release “ confidential documents that the American people desperately needed to see”.
How dare they be kept in the dark about the racist Judge Trump nominated to SCOTUS!
It is time to show everyone what that evil Kavanaugh wrote in an email about racial profiling while working in the Bush White House after 9/11.

Well.
The emails had been cleared for the public and Booker knew it.
And the words in the email revealed Kavanaugh was not proposing racial profiling.

Booker comes across as a cheap imitation of Trump which underscores the stupidity of the democrats.  Running for President requires a more thoughtful strategy than demonizing the opposition. Hillary proved that. 

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #2157 on: September 08, 2018, 12:04:06 PM »

Regretfully, I think your wish is the father of your thought. I think this is a done deal. But November will be here soon.

Something I wrote yesterday to my colleagues:

Noticing the coverage of yesterday’s events leaning toward Democrats grandstanding and running for president.

I think it misses three very obvious things:

1) Democrats thoroughly exposed GOP classifying documents committee confidential was total bullshit and a blatant attempt to conceal info.

2) This ain’t my Democratic Senate anymore. These guys are ready to fight and they bought real weapons to a gunfight. Throwing Cornyn’s bleats about decorum and process back in his face and saying, “you don’t like it? Do something, go ahead!”

3) The three Senators taking the committee head on are PoC, Hirono, Harris and Booker.

Another thing media does not mention is Kavanaugh is VERY UNPOPULAR nominee and that’s why GOP are trying to ram him through. Dude has less favorable than Harriet Myers and Robert Bork.

I don’t accept the conventional wisdom that GOP senators will fall in line or red state Dems will back Kavanaugh.

The Democrats are acting differently. Something is afoot.

There is something going on here like a swift current below the surface of a calm bay...

Kamala Harris already knew the answer to the yes or no question Kavanaugh took two days to answer, “No.”

If they prove the guy has perjured himself under oath ON MORE THAN ONE OCCASION during his last two confirmations he’s toast... even if the GOP Senate puts him on SCOTUS there’s no guarantee he stays there past the midterms.

Stay tuned...

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #2158 on: September 08, 2018, 12:05:47 PM »

That was you in here?

LOL

Cory Booker “ risked expulsion” from the Senate by threatening to release “ confidential documents that the American people desperately needed to see”.
How dare they be kept in the dark about the racist Judge Trump nominated to SCOTUS!
It is time to show everyone what that evil Kavanaugh wrote in an email about racial profiling while working in the Bush White House after 9/11.

Well.
The emails had been cleared for the public and Booker knew it.
And the words in the email revealed Kavanaugh was not proposing racial profiling.

Booker comes across as a cheap imitation of Trump which underscores the stupidity of the democrats.  Running for President requires a more thoughtful strategy than demonizing the opposition. Hillary proved that.

well, that settles it, right?

Lyndon Johnson

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: September 08, 2018, 12:18:41 PM »

Running for President requires a more thoughtful strategy than demonizing the opposition.]Running for President requires a more thoughtful strategy than demonizing the opposition.

You also need a conflicted FBI director to sand-bag the opposition candidate a week before the election, while sitting atop the knowledge of an ongoing investigation into a Russian conspiracy that would blow you out of the water, and you need red hats with a slogan that the deplorable racists can proudly wear proclaiming their deep patriotism and love for some of America.

If Hillary only had some red-hats...
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 4288