Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1995532 times)

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #2370 on: September 12, 2018, 10:41:17 AM »

Pick one

Natural disasters kill people.  Fact.

You pick one, kiidcarter8, as the question was asked of you.  What metric are you using to evaluate the response, the "hard work" you speak of?
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #2371 on: September 12, 2018, 11:09:15 AM »

Interesting perspective from the Head of The Baldwin School...

First, celebrating Williams' 31 Grand Slam final — this one, exactly a year after she gave birth to her first child — reminds kids that healthy competitiveness is an asset and that girls shouldn't stop themselves from being aggressive and ambitious. While boys seem to naturally absorb that idea, it's something that we shy away from encouraging in young women — and is one reason why, by age 14, girls stop playing competitive sports twice as often as boys. This despite the fact that embracing one's competitive spirit is critical for career success, particularly at senior leadership levels. Serena Williams is exactly the role model our girls need, showing them that inner competitiveness is a good thing.

http://www2.philly.com/philly/opinion/commentary/serena-williams-naomi-osaka-us-open-grand-slam-feminism-20180910.html

Um...this isn't a question of style. This was about breaking rules, having them applied, and acting as though one should be exempt from those rules.

Wonder what Serena would've said about her daughter and the next gen and women, if her opponent had been the one to throw that tantrum.

She probably would’ve been cool with her opponent’s passion and competitive spirit.

Did you read the article or just the pull quote? If you recognize where this perspective is com8ng from, the head of an all girl independent school on the Main Line, you would understand this goes beyond “rules.”

But then again, you’ve spent years screaming about “Deflategate.”
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: September 12, 2018, 11:22:17 AM »

Pick one

You pick one, kiidcarter8, as the question was asked of you.  What metric are you using to evaluate the response, the "hard work" you speak of?

Not a metric.  Common sense.

FEMA was stretched.  We got crushed as a nation.

FEMA didnt have enough available employees that speak Spanish - is one thing I have heard.  But then again - if PR wants to be the 51st state maybe they should learn English.

Puerto Rico's leadership and infrastructure is appalling. 

Does anyone still need bottled water?  Its there.  Now - can it be distributed without truckers from the mainland donating their rigs and their time?

No?

No?

Yeah.  Has to be Trump's fault.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: September 12, 2018, 11:38:09 AM »

First, celebrating Williams' 31 Grand Slam final — this one, exactly a year after she gave birth to her first child — reminds kids that healthy competitiveness is an asset and that girls shouldn't stop themselves from being aggressive and ambitious. While boys seem to naturally absorb that idea, it's something that we shy away from encouraging in young women — and is one reason why, by age 14, girls stop playing competitive sports twice as often as boys. This despite the fact that embracing one's competitive spirit is critical for career success, particularly at senior leadership levels. Serena Williams is exactly the role model our girls need, showing them that inner competitiveness is a good thing.

http://www2.philly.com/philly/opinion/commentary/serena-williams-naomi-osaka-us-open-grand-slam-feminism-20180910.html

Um...this isn't a question of style. This was about breaking rules, having them applied, and acting as though one should be exempt from those rules.

Wonder what Serena would've said about her daughter and the next gen and women, if her opponent had been the one to throw that tantrum.

She probably would’ve been cool with her opponent’s passion and competitive spirit.

Did you read the article or just the pull quote? If you recognize where this perspective is com8ng from, the head of an all girl independent school on the Main Line, you would understand this goes beyond “rules.”

Gee, Larry, you really don't get it.

My perspective doesn't come from an article or what someone else is telling me. Unlike you, I watched the match.

Try reading Martina's take.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

barton

« Reply #2375 on: September 12, 2018, 11:39:08 AM »

Batting around statistics and trying to precisely apportion the blame for PR is beside the point:  it's Trump's character I have a problem with.  He doesn't own up to error or generally ever let the buck stop at his desk.  He doesn't apologize or express real regret.  He just finds a way to boast or at least minimize any tarnish to his self-image.  I don't think it works in business, either, to be a narcissist.  Trump gives the illusion that it did work, due to Daddy's money, mob connections, Russian squeeze on Deutschebank, bilking contractors, and his overall power to bully and intimidate.  Stop letting this demagogue fool you, Kid C.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #2376 on: September 12, 2018, 11:40:05 AM »

Pick one

Not a metric.  Common sense.

FEMA was stretched.  We got crushed as a nation.

FEMA didnt have enough available employees that speak Spanish - is one thing I have heard.  But then again - if PR wants to be the 51st state maybe they should learn English.

Puerto Rico's leadership and infrastructure is appalling. 

Does anyone still need bottled water?  Its there.  Now - can it be distributed without truckers from the mainland donating their rigs and their time?

No?

No?

Yeah.  Has to be Trump's fault.

The buck stops at the President... or, nah?

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: September 12, 2018, 12:00:50 PM »

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #2378 on: September 12, 2018, 12:26:28 PM »

My perspective doesn't come from an article or what someone else is telling me. Unlike you, I watched the match.

I presented a perspective.

I’ve also watched Serena since she had braces and wore beads in her hair. I’ve seen Serena get blown off the court in the first set and be down big in the second; express her fury and frustration (scream to the heavens, smash her racket and stamp her feet) then take the set and blow out her opponent in the third.

Serena has been the same player with the same temperament for more than twenty years and yes, I dropped in on the match from time to time and was thoroughly impressed with Osaka’s tenacity and drive... I thought she was gonna win her first major, but... we know Serena’s record.

The rationale of the Chair ump saying she “received coaching” from the stands is something I found staggering. After TWENTY years at the HIGHEST level what could anyone tell her during a match?

That’s a warning at best. At that point the ump says “play on.” Nah, he then inserted himself into the match. She would’ve been beaten by Osaka who was young scrappy and hungry as was Serena twenty years ago and she should have been celebrated as such.

But no, the ump escalated the shit because HE was gonna show the GOAT who was in charge, despite the fact he and everyone else in women’s tennis gets exponentially more money on the tour because of the Williams sisters.

I agree with a lot of what Martina wrote, but she seems to have forgotten what happened when her doubles partner, Pam Shriver, beat her at the US Open in ‘82 denying her the grand slam and $500k bonus and Martina, after the match, said she was suffering from exposure to a cat.

I just think the Chair Ump went out of his way to make the match about him and not the players. The reactions to Serena, (meltdown, tantrum, hissy fit) demonstrates a tremendous lack of respect.

Hell, McEnroe got endorsements for his temperament, Ilie Nastase earned his nickname, Ana Kournikova and other players got huge endorsements for winning... nothing.

I get it, Utley. I just don’t agree because as I often say here, I view the world through a different prism.

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #2379 on: September 12, 2018, 12:35:48 PM »

Regarding Utley's posted NYT opinion piece:

I see the point there.  Men being excused by linemen for bad behavior, or getting a pass, might be a problem that needs fixing.  But that doesn't mean a woman player therefore has a special pass to act out.  Or that we should make excuses for her, on that basis.  (it's helpful to imagine that dubious logic being tried in other areas of life - or, more to the point, other sports....think about soccer matches - Serena was definitely going for her "red card" there)  Think about how many tennis players get a call they don't like, one that turns a game, and they manage to keep a firm grip on their racket, not insult the lineman, and get on with the game.  And, as I learned when I looked further into the story, the illegal coaching call is correct in that it's a violation whether or not the player responds or appears to notice.  In which case, the "thief" insult could only be directed at her coach.  And the lineman was just doing his job.  If we are going to encourage "healthy competitiveness" in women, I would suggest that "healthy sportsmanship" goes hand in hand with that.  That would mean lodging legitimate protest, if there is one to be made, AFTER the game, and bringing evidence.

Serena may be a money maker for tennis, she may be a veteran, she may be many good things, but none of them make her a chair umpire or somehow larger than the rules and principles of sportsmanship that American sports so desperately need right now.  And I would add, if my kids were watching me, I would make DOUBLE sure to keep my temper in check.  And I bloody well would have given McEnroe or Nastase or anyone else the same advice.  Grow the fuck up.  You're getting millions to play a fun game.   We should all be so lucky. 

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #2380 on: September 12, 2018, 12:39:19 PM »

Regarding Utley's posted NYT opinion piece:

I see the point there.  Men being excused by linemen for bad behavior, or getting a pass, might be a problem that needs fixing.  But that doesn't mean a woman player therefore has a special pass to act out.  Or that we should make excuses for her, on that basis.  (it's helpful to imagine that dubious logic being tried in other areas of life - or, more to the point, other sports....think about soccer matches - Serena was definitely going for her "red card" there)  Think about how many tennis players get a call they don't like, one that turns a game, and they manage to keep a firm grip on their racket, not insult the lineman, and get on with the game.  And, as I learned when I looked further into the story, the illegal coaching call is correct in that it's a violation whether or not the player responds or appears to notice.  In which case, the "thief" insult could only be directed at her coach.  And the lineman was just doing his job.  If we are going to encourage "healthy competitiveness" in women, I would suggest that "healthy sportsmanship" goes hand in hand with that.  That would mean lodging legitimate protest, if there is one to be made, AFTER the game, and bringing evidence.

Serena may be a money maker for tennis, she may be a veteran, she may be many good things, but none of them make her a chair umpire or somehow larger than the rules and principles of sportsmanship that American sports so desperately need right now.  And I would add, if my kids were watching me, I would make DOUBLE sure to keep my temper in check.  And I bloody well would have given McEnroe or Nastase or anyone else the same advice.  Grow the fuck up.  You're getting millions to play a fun game.   We should all be so lucky.

Lucky? We should all have such hard earned skill against all the odds.

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: September 12, 2018, 12:53:59 PM »

But no, the ump escalated the shit because HE was gonna show the GOAT who was in charge, despite the fact he and everyone else in women’s tennis gets exponentially more money on the tour because of the Williams sisters.

Well, no - he was going to umpire the match.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #2382 on: September 12, 2018, 01:19:22 PM »

Well, no - he was going to umpire the match.

So the buck stops with him. He is control of the match. I agree.

Trump takes the blame for fucking up the relief efforts in Puerto Rico, because he is in charge.

I have no problem with Serena getting docked. I have no problem with her being defeated by a better player on that day.

I have a problem with women held to a different standard than their male peers. I agree with the Head of the Baldwin school’s perspective.

It is precisely why I sent my youngest daughter to a private Independent all girls school.
Today she is a fierce leader and outspoken advocate for children and their families.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: September 12, 2018, 01:33:37 PM »

I presented a perspective.

I’ve also watched Serena since she had braces and wore beads in her hair. I’ve seen Serena get blown off the court in the first set and be down big in the second; express her fury and frustration (scream to the heavens, smash her racket and stamp her feet) then take the set and blow out her opponent in the third.

Serena has been the same player with the same temperament for more than twenty years and yes, I dropped in on the match from time to time and was thoroughly impressed with Osaka’s tenacity and drive... I thought she was gonna win her first major, but... we know Serena’s record.

The rationale of the Chair ump saying she “received coaching” from the stands is something I found staggering. After TWENTY years at the HIGHEST level what could anyone tell her during a match?

That’s a warning at best. At that point the ump says “play on.” Nah, he then inserted himself into the match. She would’ve been beaten by Osaka who was young scrappy and hungry as was Serena twenty years ago and she should have been celebrated as such.

I agree with a lot of what Martina wrote, but she seems to have forgotten what happened when her doubles partner, Pam Shriver, beat her at the US Open in ‘82 denying her the grand slam and $500k bonus and Martina, after the match, said she was suffering from exposure to a cat.

I just think the Chair Ump went out of his way to make the match about him and not the players. The reactions to Serena, (meltdown, tantrum, hissy fit) demonstrates a tremendous lack of respect.

Hell, McEnroe got endorsements for his temperament, Ilie Nastase earned his nickname, Ana Kournikova and other players got huge endorsements for winning... nothing.

I get it, Utley. I just don’t agree because as I often say here, I view the world through a different prism.

The prism of self-righteous anger apparently distorts reality. Because your version of the events are not the events themselves.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: September 12, 2018, 01:41:39 PM »

Because your version of the events are not the events themselves.

I'm afraid that this is true.  That there was coaching is not disputed.  And honestly, I want to take Serena's word that she didn't see the signs (as if that would matter) but the GIF I see here (in a piece that is very informative re: the rules) it looks like her Coach is acknowledging that the sign was received:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/10/sports/the-coaching-rule-that-upset-serena-williams-explained.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fsports&action=click&contentCollection=sports&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=13&pgtype=sectionfront

Anyway, I've said what I think.  Serena at fault, the umpire too though less so, no sexism involved really, and no racism till some idiot Australian cartoonist had his say.

"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 4288