Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1611531 times)

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #2400 on: September 12, 2018, 05:24:23 PM »

When a complete fucking moron calls someone a “wise man” it’s very likely he is talking about another fucking moron.

LOL

A man who rips up the Paris climate change agreement...thereby saving his country billions of dollars every year...certainly is a wise man...a man dripping with wisdom.
Under 'Paris' the UN was going to collect US$100 billion...that's B for Billion...from OECD countries every year by 2020.
Now it's saying that developing countries will need more...up to $500 billion per annum.
The wise man in charge of America said "No thanks" and tossed 'Paris' in the bin.

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: September 12, 2018, 05:40:57 PM »

The 'Coco Pops' cereal girl is in Britain.

Downunder, we have a 9 yr old girl, who's not happy too.
She's not happy with the National Anthem.
Says it only represents White Australians.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/rendezview/the-problem-with-a-9yearolds-anthem-protest/news-story/a453871f94731f2d59b6a80c58356b4d

Pauline Hanson labels anthem schoolgirl 'a brat'

#####

Yes, what happens in America often arrives in Australia soon after.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 05:43:31 PM by bambu-wisdom »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #2402 on: September 12, 2018, 05:55:06 PM »

Yeah, it’s always about me. How I see something, how I feel about something, it’s called having an opinion. You may have noticed I never said Serena was correct in her actions, though we’ve seen her for twenty years. Yeah, the ump could have given her a warning before he docked her the point, but he didn’t.

I can only liken this to the pine tar at bat with George Brett... like he needed extra pine tar to hit a homer and look at the ultimate outcome of that game.

I guess this would have been around 1990 or so, but I was walking up 8th Avenue away from the Garden after the Knicks played the Bulls on MLK day. Me and my buds were sky high because Jordan played on earth that day and Trent Tucker won the game on some kind of humbug, but no matter we were high on weed and celebrating two of us approaching the end of our bachelor hood.

A guy walking in front of us suddenly stopped and then fell over face first. Just crumpled to the ground gasping and shaking,. Well the last thing people need in an emergency is four drunk and high folks trying to help but we did our best. We rolled the guy on his back and I took my coat and put in under his head. Ronnie ran for a phone booth, Miles up chucked in the gutter and Milorad tried to flag a cop.

This woman pulls her car to the curb, jumps out and basically shoved me aside and proceeded to save this guy’s life.

Meanwhile, Miles has recovered and he is arguing with a Brownie tow truck drive who is hooking up the woman’s car. Mil jumped on her hood and refused to move so the guy couldn’t drive off with car.

She’s pumping the guy’s chest and I’m following her intstructions as to when to blow air into the guy. EMS arrives on scene and takes over saying we saved the guy and I’m like no SHE saved the guy now tell this Brownie to leave her car alone.

By now there’s a crowd gathered and the guy has locked himself in the tow truck. Everyone is screaming to let her car go. Finally a couple cops arrive on the scene and tell the guy to unhook the woman’s car because she shouldn’t go through impound yard hell for saving a man’s. A WCBS mobile ENG crew pulled up to see what was happening and were rolling tape on the guy sitting in the cab of his truck repeating the only thing he said throughout the ordeal.

“Rules Is Rules!”

The driver finally relented but he kept repeating that same three word phrase...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 05:57:59 PM by LarryBnDC usetab Knicks12 »
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #2403 on: September 12, 2018, 06:25:27 PM »

NEWS ITEM

Middle-class income rose to the highest recorded levels in 2017 and the national poverty rate declined as the benefits of the strong economy lifted the fortunes of more Americans, the U.S. Census reported Wednesday.
Thanks Obama!

....and thanks 3 powerful hurricanes last year that produced a manufacturing and construction boom to start replacing myriad damaged goods, vehicles,  homes,  and infrastructure.    Must be why 45 wants to promote lots more atmosphere carbon.   He positively shines at handling disasters.  Have you seen him toss paper towel?   

barton

« Reply #2404 on: September 12, 2018, 06:27:22 PM »

That's a good story,  Larry.   I am uncertain how it relates,  as an analogy,  to sportsmanship in tennis.   

barton

« Reply #2405 on: September 12, 2018, 06:33:59 PM »

Is someone going to point out that Reds "highest recorded levels" of income is not inflation adjusted?   OK,  I will.   

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle-class_squeeze
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 06:41:33 PM by Bart »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #2406 on: September 12, 2018, 06:34:27 PM »

That's a good story,  Larry.   I am uncertain how it relates,  as an analogy,  to sportsmanship in tennis.

There were two stories, Bart. About following the rules... period.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: September 12, 2018, 06:42:15 PM »

heh

knicks apparently it is always about you.

You just turned Serena's situation into your situation.

That was pretty funny.

You and your friends were good samaritans and should be commended for your good intentions.

Serena not so much.

You and your friends made a decision with nothing to gain and you helped save a life.

And saved the lady the towing charge and inconvenience.

Team Serena also made a decision to break a rule to gain an advantage, but she lost a point and a game.

Knicks as best as I can tell the post below was your first take on the Serena situation.

In it you made several factually incorrect observations about the situation.

The ump did not accuse Serena of cheating, he said her coach was illegally signal her.

She did have a tantrum, destroying her racket in anger

And you dismis her a possibily cheating when we learned that her coach admitted he tried to signal her.

You assign her no responsibility or share of blame for her actions.

Serena did not look or act like the strong woman she is, but rather a spoiled child.

I could make further observations but lets leave it at: You were wrong.

Game-set-match

Heh.   TBH,  I have a revulsion for poor sportsmanship no matter how good the excuse,  so I am a little conflicted on this cartoon.   Cartoonists caricature everyone,  so it's possible that there really is no intent to demean Ms Williams on the basis of anything but her tantrum.  In the US,  it would be hideously clueless,  given the vile stain in our history of African caricatures.  In Oz,  it may be clueless but perhaps not as culpably so.   Sorry if that's not PC here,  but that's my impression.   

Then why is the other player depicted as small, white and blonde?

Thing is, she didn’t have a tantrum. At no point did she jump up and down, but she did bec9me indignant when accused of cheating. That her coach was coaching from the stands.
She’s been playing for more than twenty years and here she was getting beaten in the FINALS of the US Open and she needs to check with her coach?

Nah, the guy called her a cheater and she called him a thief for taking a point and then a game and she was royally pissed.

Nah, the chair ump made himself bigger than the match yet, black folks always MUST remain in total control or we get viewed as aggressive and threatening.

Meanwhile, everyone involved in the open is making exponentially more money because of twenty years of Serena Williams...

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #2408 on: September 12, 2018, 06:58:15 PM »

Yeah, it’s always about me.

How I see something,

how I feel about something,

it’s called having an opinion.

You may have noticed I never said Serena was correct in her actions, though we’ve seen her for twenty years. Yeah, the ump could have given her a warning before he docked her the point, but he didn’t.

I can only liken this to the pine tar at bat with George Brett... like he needed extra pine tar to hit a homer and look at the ultimate outcome of that game.

heh

That was pretty funny.

You and your friends were good samaritans and should be commended for your good intentions.

Serena not so much.

You and your friends made a decision with nothing to gain and you helped save a life.

Team Serena also made a decision to break a rule to gain an advantage, but she lost a point and a game.

Knicks as best as I can tell the post below was your first take on the Serena situation.

The ump did not accuse Serena of cheating, he said her coach was illegally signal her.

And you dismis her a possibily cheating when we learned that her coach admitted he tried to signal her.

Serena did not look or act like the strong woman she is, but rather a spoiled child.

Game-set-match

Heh.   TBH,  I have a revulsion for poor sportsmanship no matter how good the excuse,  so I am a little conflicted on this cartoon.   Cartoonists caricature everyone,  so it's possible that there really is no intent to demean Ms Williams on the basis of anything but her tantrum.  In the US,  it would be hideously clueless,  given the vile stain in our history of African caricatures.  In Oz,  it may be clueless but perhaps not as culpably so.   Sorry if that's not PC here,  but that's my impression.   

Thing is, she didn’t have a tantrum. At no point did she jump up and down, but she did bec9me indignant when accused of cheating. That her coach was coaching from the stands.
She’s been playing for more than twenty years and here she was getting beaten in the FINALS of the US Open and she needs to check with her coach?

Nah, the guy called her a cheater and she called him a thief for taking a point and then a game and she was royally pissed.

Nah, the chair ump made himself bigger than the match yet, black folks always MUST remain in total control or we get viewed as aggressive and threatening.

Meanwhile, everyone involved in the open is making exponentially more money because of twenty years of Serena Williams...

It wasn’t me or my actions, it was the tow truck guy being an asshole while yelling Rules is Rules.

It was Billy Martin using a bullshit rule against the Royals and ultimately losing anyway.

I’m not trying to win, anything. It is always the same thing, I give you my perspective, a perspective few of you even have consider and you have to make it a matter of winning or losing.

Behave as expected.

Banks, I’m glad I can help you have your moment.

Serena acted out. Serena lost. Osaka deserved the win. Serena had the grace to put the win on her opponent.

That’s my take, that has been my take. If you feel you must go and parse my posts have at it.

I have a column to finish and it has nothing to do with tennis. It’s about the Bonwit Teller Art Deco sculptures. The working title is,

“Midas in Reverse: Everything Trump Touches Turns To Shit.”
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 07:02:33 PM by LarryBnDC usetab Knicks12 »

Lyndon Johnson

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: September 12, 2018, 06:58:51 PM »

NEWS ITEM

Middle-class income rose to the highest recorded levels in 2017 and the national poverty rate declined as the benefits of the strong economy lifted the fortunes of more Americans, the U.S. Census reported Wednesday.
Thanks Obama!

No, REDSTATEWARD credits tax cuts that weren't implemented yet during the time of this recording.

Rise in average household pay mostly due to more people working or working more hours, not wage growth.  Not a bad thing overall, of course, but we know employment rose steadily in Obama's last few years and Trump's numbers only a continuation (with a slight decrease) of that trend.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: September 12, 2018, 07:09:47 PM »

heh

That was pretty funny.

Serena not so much.

Game-set-match

It wasn’t me or my actions, it was the tow truck guy being an asshole while yelling Rules is Rules.

It was Billy Martin using a bullshit rule against the Royals and ultimately losing anyway.

I’m not trying to win, anything. It is always the same thing, I give you my perspective, a perspective few of you even have consider and you have to make it a matter of winning or losing.

Behave as expected.

Banks, I’m glad I can help you have your moment.

Serena acted out. Serena lost. Osaka deserved the win. Serena had the grace to put the win on her opponent.

That’s my take, that has been my take. If you feel you must go and parse my posts have at it.

I have a column to finish and it has nothing to do with tennis. It’s about the Bonwit Teller Art Deco sculptures. The working title is,

“Midas in Reverse: Everything Trump Touches Turns To Shit.”

Upon review, the point stands.

Despite Serena's coach admitting he was signalling her, and your factually incorrrect interpretations, you assign her no responsibility for her actions.

Serena knew the rules, she chose or her coach chose to play around them.

There are consequences to getting caught bending rules.

And Knicks your dismissive "behave as expected"  carries no weight.

You netted it.

Game over.

Good luck with your article.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #2411 on: September 12, 2018, 07:31:30 PM »

I didn’t know we’re in a match, Banks.

The behave as expected Bsnks is because when there is a disagreement you have a habit of making it more competitive than contemplative. You like to get personal as if you’re actually winning something.

Fine, whatever floats your boat.

Lyndon Johnson

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: September 12, 2018, 07:50:27 PM »

I didn’t know we’re in a match, Banks.

The behave as expected Bsnks is because when there is a disagreement you have a habit of making it more competitive than contemplative. You like to get personal as if you’re actually winning something.

Fine, whatever floats your boat.

I used the construct of a tennis match: point-game-set-match, as illustative of our going back and forth.
I didn't think it was a tought concept to grasp.

I pointed out your use of factual mistakes that you thought supported your position. But they didn't as they were not true.

And its not so much as winning, but rather effectively supporting a position with relevant facts as opposed to deflecting with an irrelvant personal story about you.

Knicks you were passed at the net.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: September 12, 2018, 08:04:51 PM »

Larry just likes talking about Larry.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: September 12, 2018, 08:08:08 PM »

Larry forgot when Serena was called on the foot foul in 2009.

And using Larry language verbally threatened physical violence on the line judge.

Which also cost her the match.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 4288