Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1595505 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #2475 on: September 13, 2018, 10:27:36 PM »

The end of black politics?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/end-black-politics-revisited-090037927.html

Did you notice the number of times he referenced the relationship between Black people and the police? Naw, me neither. If you don’t see that gaping hole in this article you’re as clueless as Bai.

He also didn’t mention how the support for Obama dropped through the floor in July 2009 because he said a Cambridge street cop acted stupidly by being a bigger asshole than Skip Gates just because he could.
Obama is the one who “ acted stupidly in July of 2009 “because he didn’t verify the facts.
No matter how you respin the story.

The cop did not arrest a prominent academic in his house AFTER he knew the professor acting like an asshole was being an asshole in his own house and on his own porch?

Cop put him in his place and the country put Obama in his.

On your point about Obama’s not verifying the facts how does that stack up with the current occupant doing his best to disembowel the DOJ and the FBI in order to cover his own ass?

Obama called one cop stupid and the nation gave cops carte blanche. NFL players protest police brutality and y’all say they’re disrespecting the flag and the troops.

Shit, America is so racist, protesting racism and police brutality is seen as Un-American.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: September 13, 2018, 10:34:09 PM »

Did you notice the number of times he referenced the relationship between Black people and the police? Naw, me neither. If you don’t see that gaping hole in this article you’re as clueless as Bai.

He also didn’t mention how the support for Obama dropped through the floor in July 2009 because he said a Cambridge street cop acted stupidly by being a bigger asshole than Skip Gates just because he could.
Obama is the one who “ acted stupidly in July of 2009 “because he didn’t verify the facts.

The cop did not arrest a prominent academic in his house AFTER he knew the professor acting like an asshole was being an asshole in his own house and on his own porch?

On your point about Obama’s not verifying the facts how does that stack up with the current occupant doing his best to disembowel the DOJ and the FBI in order to cover his own ass?

Obama called one cop stupid and the nation gave cops carte blanche. NFL players protest police brutality and y’all say they’re disrespecting the flag and the troops.

Shit, America is so racist, protesting racism and police brutality is seen as Un-American.
Deflection from the facts. Obama was wrong in 2009. If he paid a political price he deserved it.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: September 13, 2018, 10:57:42 PM »

That's a good story,  Larry.   I am uncertain how it relates,  as an analogy,  to sportsmanship in tennis.

Larry just likes talking about Larry.

Beats talking about you.

Gee, Larry, you got your ass kicked on the tennis tantrum, and by several posters here.

Don't pout.

Just sdmit that you didn't see the match, you didn't know the facts, but you charged in ready for the another black-denied-justice moment, when that was never the situation.

Better pick your battles more wisely, and check your righteous indignation at the door.

No.

My righteous indignation is how I got be sixty... I never sit back and be quiet.  My argument was not just about the tennis match this weekend.

I still think there is a different standard in the world whether in sports or life in general. If you guys don’t get that am I not surprised.

Knicks

Now you are changing the argument. There are lots of double standards in the world (how many bubbles are in a bar of soap?)  No one argued that there aren't double standards.

But in this case, Team Serena admitted to signalling. She then escalated a lost point to a lost game, through her own actions.

She owns her behavior.

Perhaps your inability to get that others "get it" is shrouded by your righteous indignation.

Now there are lots of causes and reasons to wave your righteous indignation, but Serena trying to game a game, is probably not the best time to do it.

Tell that to Billie Jean King, but then again what would she know? Especially with the mighty wisdom you imparted to your girl.

My girl was an ice hockey goon in high school. Was an ok skater but a fierce competitor and filled a necessary role on her squad.

“As long as you play fair consider this a good place to channel your frustration through physicality.”

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/billie-jean-king-op-ed-serena-williams_us_5b9595b1e4b0162f472e68ef

”Ramos crossed the line. He made himself part of the match,” King wrote in a passionate op-ed for The Washington Post, published Sunday. “He involved himself in the end result. An umpire’s job is to keep control of the match, and he let it get out of control.”

She went on to argue that Williams ― despite her many wins ― is still treated differently than male athletes are.

“Did Ramos treat Williams differently than male players have been treated?” King wrote. “I think he did. Women are treated differently in most arenas of life. This is especially true for women of color. And what played out on the court yesterday happens far too often.”

Hey, it’s only her opinion. And it’s about tennis. And it’s about that particular match.

Not saying “I’m right!”

Not saying your wrong. I’m still sticking to my perspective... and I haven’t made any insinuations about your intelligence or sincerity.

Tell that to Mary Carillo. Or Martina Navratilova.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/09/10/serena-williams-was-out-of-line-say-martina-navratilova-and-mary-carillo/?utm_term=.88636902dbd7

Carillo, a former professional player who has gone on to a successful career as a sportscaster, defended Ramos’s reputation, saying he “has been doing big matches for decades” and is “very, very respected” in the tennis community. Noting that she had called the women’s final for the Tennis Channel with former U.S. Open winner and world No. 1 Lindsay Davenport, she said that, after Williams earned a point penalty for smashing her racket, Davenport told their audience that the next infraction would cost Williams a game.

“If you follow tennis at all, you know those rules. They are inviolate,” Carillo said.

Guess you missed that part of the Post.

But of course, Larry, you've been watching Serena for "twenty years", and yet, during that time, you've failed to pick up the rules of the game.

It's just Mary Carillo's opinion.

No insuation regarding your confirmation biases at work, of course.

Keep on keepin' on.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 11:02:31 PM by MrUtley3 »
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #2478 on: September 13, 2018, 11:17:55 PM »

Deflection from the facts. Obama was wrong in 2009. If he paid a political price he deserved it.

I gave you the facts. Cop arrested the guy after he knew the guy was being an asshole in his own house.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #2479 on: September 13, 2018, 11:24:09 PM »

That's a good story,  Larry.   I am uncertain how it relates,  as an analogy,  to sportsmanship in tennis.

Larry just likes talking about Larry.

Beats talking about you.

Gee, Larry, you got your ass kicked on the tennis tantrum, and by several posters here.

Don't pout.

Just sdmit that you didn't see the match, you didn't know the facts, but you charged in ready for the another black-denied-justice moment, when that was never the situation.

Better pick your battles more wisely, and check your righteous indignation at the door.

No.

My righteous indignation is how I got be sixty... I never sit back and be quiet.  My argument was not just about the tennis match this weekend.

I still think there is a different standard in the world whether in sports or life in general. If you guys don’t get that am I not surprised.

Knicks

Now you are changing the argument. There are lots of double standards in the world (how many bubbles are in a bar of soap?)  No one argued that there aren't double standards.

But in this case, Team Serena admitted to signalling. She then escalated a lost point to a lost game, through her own actions.

She owns her behavior.

Perhaps your inability to get that others "get it" is shrouded by your righteous indignation.

Now there are lots of causes and reasons to wave your righteous indignation, but Serena trying to game a game, is probably not the best time to do it.

Tell that to Billie Jean King, but then again what would she know? Especially with the mighty wisdom you imparted to your girl.

My girl was an ice hockey goon in high school. Was an ok skater but a fierce competitor and filled a necessary role on her squad.

“As long as you play fair consider this a good place to channel your frustration through physicality.”

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/billie-jean-king-op-ed-serena-williams_us_5b9595b1e4b0162f472e68ef

”Ramos crossed the line. He made himself part of the match,” King wrote in a passionate op-ed for The Washington Post, published Sunday. “He involved himself in the end result. An umpire’s job is to keep control of the match, and he let it get out of control.”

She went on to argue that Williams ― despite her many wins ― is still treated differently than male athletes are.

“Did Ramos treat Williams differently than male players have been treated?” King wrote. “I think he did. Women are treated differently in most arenas of life. This is especially true for women of color. And what played out on the court yesterday happens far too often.”

Hey, it’s only her opinion. And it’s about tennis. And it’s about that particular match.

Not saying “I’m right!”

Not saying your wrong. I’m still sticking to my perspective... and I haven’t made any insinuations about your intelligence or sincerity.

Tell that to Mary Carillo. Or Martina Navratilova.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/09/10/serena-williams-was-out-of-line-say-martina-navratilova-and-mary-carillo/?utm_term=.88636902dbd7

Carillo, a former professional player who has gone on to a successful career as a sportscaster, defended Ramos’s reputation, saying he “has been doing big matches for decades” and is “very, very respected” in the tennis community. Noting that she had called the women’s final for the Tennis Channel with former U.S. Open winner and world No. 1 Lindsay Davenport, she said that, after Williams earned a point penalty for smashing her racket, Davenport told their audience that the next infraction would cost Williams a game.

“If you follow tennis at all, you know those rules. They are inviolate,” Carillo said.

Guess you missed that part of the Post.

But of course, Larry, you've been watching Serena for "twenty years", and yet, during that time, you've failed to pick up the rules of the game.

It's just Mary Carillo's opinion.

No insuation regarding your confirmation biases at work, of course.

Keep on keepin' on.

Of course, it is all opinion

https://www.newyorker.com/news/sporting-scene/naomi-osakas-us-open-victory-against-serena-williams-nearly-ruined-by-a-call-is-redeemed-by-empathy-and-grace

A racquet smash followed—a second violation, and so a point penalty by the books. And then came the fuming. She wanted an apology. She couldn’t let it go. Williams is a player who can use anger as competitive fuel when she believes that she has been done wrong. It is true that Ramos could not do what she was demanding, which was to reverse his warning: warnings can’t be reversed, and, anyway, it was a violation, whether Williams read the signal or not. It is also true that Williams has been held to different standards throughout her career, criticized for her brashness, her body, her competitive drive—for being, when it comes down to it, unafraid to claim her own success.

Williams has repeatedly been subjected to patently racist and sexist criticism. Just this month, the French Open announced a dress code, and officials held up Williams’s tight catsuit as an example of an outfit that had gone “too far.” No matter that she says she wore the compression outfit for therapeutic purposes (she has a history of blood clots), or that it actually offered more coverage than your typical skimpy tennis dress. “One must respect the game and the place,” the president of the French Tennis Federation, Bernard Giudicelli, said. The implication was clear: Williams was disrespectful, and needed to be put in her place.

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: September 13, 2018, 11:34:06 PM »

---END OF ISIS: Final battle begins in bid to clear Islamic State from Syria---

Crazy Donald almost screwed it up by trying to get rid of Assad.

YES - Assad GOOD.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: September 13, 2018, 11:37:50 PM »

Ms King -

how many tennis players bust a racket without being docked a point?

After that - some self talk by Serena would have been prudent.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: September 13, 2018, 11:38:07 PM »

I gave you the facts. Cop arrested the guy after he knew the guy was being an asshole in his own house.
No.
You gave us YOUR facts.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: September 14, 2018, 02:04:17 AM »

---END OF ISIS: Final battle begins in bid to clear Islamic State from Syria---

Crazy Donald almost screwed it up by trying to get rid of Assad.

YES - Assad GOOD.

No, Assad BAD.

It's not even in question, Kiid.

Is he preferable to ISIS? In the minds of many, he is.

But he is far from good.

He's had well over 10,000 prisoners killed - not because they had been sentenced to death by the courts, but because he wanted them dead.

You're busy applauding a man guilty of myriad war crimes.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2017/04/06/syria-president-bashar-assad-war-criminal/100116828/
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: September 14, 2018, 02:05:40 AM »

No.
You gave us YOUR facts.

Was he not arrested?

Was it not after identity had been established?
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: September 14, 2018, 02:19:37 AM »

Shit, America is so racist, protesting racism and police brutality is seen as Un-American

That’s mainly on the wrong side of the tracks in the cracked-up part of towns. Most places see it every day and are ready to try new approaches and force old demons to either change or get out of the way. Roy Moore and Sheriff Joe stripped of power now must resort to taking it out on friends and family.

The tide of stupid bigotry has been coming in awful hard, but that’s no reason to stop swinging our buckets.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #2486 on: September 14, 2018, 02:35:12 AM »

This guy in Texas, shot in his own house by a cop, had the search warrant for his home published. He had weed and a grinder in his apartment... so?

I mean, SO? Dude was in his own house, not in a car, not on a park bench, he was in his house?

So why is he being criminalized? Because this way it can be established he got himself shot, and sets up why the cop was justified in shooting a guy in his own house.

But...

I should wait until I have more facts to work with so I can establish this guy got his fool ass shot... in his own house.

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: September 14, 2018, 03:05:19 AM »

The Nixon guys were very explicit in their retrospectives about the reasoning behind their decision to ratchet up the drug war. The White Caucus, which spans both parties but consumes the vast majority of the goons on the right, has held that line and cultivated those tools as it has evolved. The work to get America to disempower its racists is going to be like hunting pythons in the Everglades I’m afraid.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: September 14, 2018, 03:06:31 AM »

The IDC now fits on a tandem bicycle. Go New York go!

Richard P. Feynman

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: September 14, 2018, 08:48:26 AM »

This guy in Texas, shot in his own house by a cop, had the search warrant for his home published. He had weed and a grinder in his apartment... so?

I mean, SO? Dude was in his own house, not in a car, not on a park bench, he was in his house?

So why is he being criminalized? Because this way it can be established he got himself shot, and sets up why the cop was justified in shooting a guy in his own house.

But...

I should wait until I have more facts to work with so I can establish this guy got his fool ass shot... in his own house.

I think you have this ALLLLL wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 4288