Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1584002 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #2505 on: September 14, 2018, 11:22:53 AM »

Further -

Trump's statement, "They are just trying to make me look bad"

is true.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: September 14, 2018, 11:23:25 AM »

"This was done by the Democrats in order to make me look as bad as possible when I was successfully raising Billions of Dollars to help rebuild Puerto Rico. If a person died for any reason, like old age, just add them onto the list. Bad politics. I love Puerto Rico!" he wrote.

Discuss.
Our President is a solipsistic, mendacious piece of shit.

I remember as a kid coming home from school for lunch, putting on the TV and watching local TV personality "Big Bother" Bob Emery instruct us to drink our milk in toast to then Pres Eisenhower, while "Hail to the Chief" was played. I'm pretty sure the spot was sponsored by a local dairy.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: September 14, 2018, 11:26:54 AM »

Well, no -

he just has to see the distinction between "died in the hurricane" and "died because of the hurricane".

There is no distinction.  Why would there be?
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: September 14, 2018, 11:29:00 AM »

:'(
Well, no -

he just has to see the distinction between "died in the hurricane" and "died because of the hurricane".

There is no distinction.  Why would there be?
Because Trump.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: September 14, 2018, 11:29:13 AM »

Further -

is true.

Trump's claim was that the numbers were generated by Democrats in order to make him look bad.  This is a lie.

As you yourself indicate, they were the result of a GWU study.  That those numbers make Trump look bad is what it is.  Facts have a way of stinging sometimes.  Particularly for liars who would do anything to avoid taking responsibility for their failures.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

oilcan

« Reply #2510 on: September 14, 2018, 11:29:55 AM »

I guess Bart has knowledge of the GWU model used to assess Puerto Rico.

I'd like to hear more.

Thank you for asking. 

My Master's was in Information Science, and I did some statistical analysis and database design for a couple of government agencies back in the 80s.  Not sure what I can add to my earlier post.  Probably the key fact is that this GWU analysis is about indirect causes from a storm and not just direct (a tree fell on the person, a tidal surge carried them away, etc.) cause.  Most deaths happen later when the most vulnerable segments of the population are unable to get vital medicines and/or treatments, become ill from contaminated water supplies, get heat stroke when AC systems don't work, and so on.  The coroners, when writing death certificates for such deaths, tend to give what's called the proximate cause, e.g. diabetic shock, heart failure from heat stroke, septicemia, etc. 

Basically, when modern technological civilization falters, lots of people who were dependent on technology will die. 

So that's why GWU uses a comparative method of statistical analysis, rather than relying on a list.  And their method is sound, and gives a good estimate of storm-related deaths.  3000 is not precise, but it's very much in the ballpark.  No one questioned this SAME ANALYSIS when it was used after Katrina. 

oilcan

« Reply #2511 on: September 14, 2018, 11:31:18 AM »

Some of us are open about our sock puppets.

barton

« Reply #2512 on: September 14, 2018, 11:32:06 AM »

Don't listen to that idiot.

They just smoked a big bong at GWU, then tossed some chicken bones on the floor, and tried to read a pattern into it.  When that gave too low a figure, they used I Ching sticks and a Rubik's Cube dipped in molasses. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 11:36:18 AM by Bart »

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: September 14, 2018, 11:33:07 AM »

Further -

is true.
Nobody has to try to make Trump look bad.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: September 14, 2018, 11:36:18 AM »

Further -

is true.

Trump's claim was that the numbers were generated by Democrats in order to make him look bad.  This is a lie.

As you yourself indicate, they were the result of a GWU study.  That those numbers make Trump look bad is what it is.  Facts have a way of stinging sometimes.  Particularly for liars who would do anything to avoid taking responsibility for their failures.

They arent facts.  Thats the problem

They are estimates - and everyone knows Trump means as a direct result of the hurricane

Now - again - please give specifics on how FEMA (and Trump) could have got the power on quicker, got insulin to the people quicker, etc

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: September 14, 2018, 11:37:57 AM »

Mueller has Manafort.

This could get interesting.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #2516 on: September 14, 2018, 11:38:20 AM »

Unfortunately it always comes down to who “deserves” help and respect.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: September 14, 2018, 11:39:07 AM »

Further -

is true.
Nobody has to try to make Trump look bad.

Defending trump makes kid look bad, so someone is looking worse because of trump.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

barton

« Reply #2518 on: September 14, 2018, 11:40:50 AM »

Further -

is true.

They arent facts.  Thats the problem

They are estimates - and everyone knows Trump means as a direct result of the hurricane

Now - again - please give specifics on how FEMA (and Trump) could have got the power on quicker, got insulin to the people quicker, etc

That's a fair question.  Here's one answer:

Trump could have done what he just did with the Coast Guard and FEMA*.  Pull money from another agency's budget.   And allocated it for rescue and recovery in Puerto Rico.  Due to it being a dire situation. 

*those monies have been re-allocated to ICE, for building more detention camps and expediting deportation.  See Rachel Maddow for specifics.  Or google Jeff Merkley ICE FEMA.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 11:43:20 AM by Bart »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: September 14, 2018, 11:51:02 AM »

So........

this is true then? -

That horrific hurricane, hitting that tine island with a ridiculously poor infrastructure - should only have killed 300 Puerto Rican residents.

(For they are saying - 90% of the 2975 deaths were preventable)

Really?

No.  Really?

NOT just a potshot at Trump?  NOT trying to make him look bad?

Gimme a break.
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 4288