Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1584095 times)

Yankguy1

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #2520 on: September 14, 2018, 11:53:45 AM »

I'm glad you agree it makes him look bad.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: September 14, 2018, 12:03:42 PM »

Further -

Trump's statement, "They are just trying to make me look bad"

is true.

Trump's claim was that the numbers were generated by Democrats in order to make him look bad.  This is a lie.

As you yourself indicate, they were the result of a GWU study.  That those numbers make Trump look bad is what it is.  Facts have a way of stinging sometimes.  Particularly for liars who would do anything to avoid taking responsibility for their failures.

They arent facts.  Thats the problem

They are estimates - and everyone knows Trump means as a direct result of the hurricane

Now - again - please give specifics on how FEMA (and Trump) could have got the power on quicker, got insulin to the people quicker, etc

That's a fair question.  Here's one answer:

Trump could have done what he just did with the Coast Guard and FEMA*.  Pull money from another agency's budget.   And allocated it for rescue and recovery in Puerto Rico.  Due to it being a dire situation. 

*those monies have been re-allocated to ICE, for building more detention camps and expediting deportation.  See Rachel Maddow for specifics.  Or google Jeff Merkley ICE FEMA.

That ICE money cant be used for hurrican relief.  Maddow has it wrong.

MANPOWER was a problem.  FEMA was stretched.  Read ALL the stuff - not just what blasts the administration.  Could resources have been pulled from mainland work and sent to PR?  Maybe.  Lets look at that, justly - and stop with the "Trump hates Puerto Ricans" nonsense.

barton

« Reply #2522 on: September 14, 2018, 12:08:19 PM »

So........

this is true then? -

That horrific hurricane, hitting that tine island with a ridiculously poor infrastructure - should only have killed 300 Puerto Rican residents.

(For they are saying - 90% of the 2975 deaths were preventable)

Really?

No.  Really?

NOT just a potshot at Trump?  NOT trying to make him look bad?

Gimme a break.

Nope.  The deaths estimate is from post-storm causes that the government, at ALL levels, was responsible for intercepting.  Instead of whining "It's an island, you know," you allocate funds from other agencies, including the DoD, for airlifting in supplies and getting them distributed.  You suspend import/export regulations that are gumming up the works.  You get reliable and knowledgeable contractors to restore power, not some inexperienced startup from fucking Montana.  You establish emergency funding for the Red Cross, the Coast Guard, the CDC, whatever it takes.  You don't take the day off and go play golf.  And yes, money from other agencies, can be used for hurricane relief.  Money is reallocated between agencies all the time.  It's a routine part of our system. 

Who can say precisely how many lives would have been saved. That's not the point.  The point is that it's the proper role of the Chief Executive of our government to own up, and take responsibility when any government agency falters and screws up.  What makes Trump so odious is that he seems to see "strength" as consisting only in boasting and never admitting error. 

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: September 14, 2018, 12:08:38 PM »

That's a good story,  Larry.   I am uncertain how it relates,  as an analogy,  to sportsmanship in tennis.

Larry just likes talking about Larry.

Beats talking about you.

Gee, Larry, you got your ass kicked on the tennis tantrum, and by several posters here.

Don't pout.

Just sdmit that you didn't see the match, you didn't know the facts, but you charged in ready for the another black-denied-justice moment, when that was never the situation.

Better pick your battles more wisely, and check your righteous indignation at the door.

No.

My righteous indignation is how I got be sixty... I never sit back and be quiet.  My argument was not just about the tennis match this weekend.

I still think there is a different standard in the world whether in sports or life in general. If you guys don’t get that am I not surprised.

Knicks

Now you are changing the argument. There are lots of double standards in the world (how many bubbles are in a bar of soap?)  No one argued that there aren't double standards.

But in this case, Team Serena admitted to signalling. She then escalated a lost point to a lost game, through her own actions.

She owns her behavior.

Perhaps your inability to get that others "get it" is shrouded by your righteous indignation.

Now there are lots of causes and reasons to wave your righteous indignation, but Serena trying to game a game, is probably not the best time to do it.

Tell that to Billie Jean King, but then again what would she know? Especially with the mighty wisdom you imparted to your girl.

My girl was an ice hockey goon in high school. Was an ok skater but a fierce competitor and filled a necessary role on her squad.

“As long as you play fair consider this a good place to channel your frustration through physicality.”

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/billie-jean-king-op-ed-serena-williams_us_5b9595b1e4b0162f472e68ef

”Ramos crossed the line. He made himself part of the match,” King wrote in a passionate op-ed for The Washington Post, published Sunday. “He involved himself in the end result. An umpire’s job is to keep control of the match, and he let it get out of control.”

She went on to argue that Williams ― despite her many wins ― is still treated differently than male athletes are.

“Did Ramos treat Williams differently than male players have been treated?” King wrote. “I think he did. Women are treated differently in most arenas of life. This is especially true for women of color. And what played out on the court yesterday happens far too often.”

Hey, it’s only her opinion. And it’s about tennis. And it’s about that particular match.

Not saying “I’m right!”

Not saying your wrong. I’m still sticking to my perspective... and I haven’t made any insinuations about your intelligence or sincerity.

Tell that to Mary Carillo. Or Martina Navratilova.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/09/10/serena-williams-was-out-of-line-say-martina-navratilova-and-mary-carillo/?utm_term=.88636902dbd7

Carillo, a former professional player who has gone on to a successful career as a sportscaster, defended Ramos’s reputation, saying he “has been doing big matches for decades” and is “very, very respected” in the tennis community. Noting that she had called the women’s final for the Tennis Channel with former U.S. Open winner and world No. 1 Lindsay Davenport, she said that, after Williams earned a point penalty for smashing her racket, Davenport told their audience that the next infraction would cost Williams a game.

“If you follow tennis at all, you know those rules. They are inviolate,” Carillo said.

Guess you missed that part of the Post.

But of course, Larry, you've been watching Serena for "twenty years", and yet, during that time, you've failed to pick up the rules of the game.

It's just Mary Carillo's opinion.

No insuation regarding your confirmation biases at work, of course.

Keep on keepin' on.

Of course, it is all opinion

https://www.newyorker.com/news/sporting-scene/naomi-osakas-us-open-victory-against-serena-williams-nearly-ruined-by-a-call-is-redeemed-by-empathy-and-grace

A racquet smash followed—a second violation, and so a point penalty by the books. And then came the fuming. She wanted an apology. She couldn’t let it go. Williams is a player who can use anger as competitive fuel when she believes that she has been done wrong. It is true that Ramos could not do what she was demanding, which was to reverse his warning: warnings can’t be reversed, and, anyway, it was a violation, whether Williams read the signal or not. It is also true that Williams has been held to different standards throughout her career, criticized for her brashness, her body, her competitive drive—for being, when it comes down to it, unafraid to claim her own success.

Williams has repeatedly been subjected to patently racist and sexist criticism. Just this month, the French Open announced a dress code, and officials held up Williams’s tight catsuit as an example of an outfit that had gone “too far.” No matter that she says she wore the compression outfit for therapeutic purposes (she has a history of blood clots), or that it actually offered more coverage than your typical skimpy tennis dress. “One must respect the game and the place,” the president of the French Tennis Federation, Bernard Giudicelli, said. The implication was clear: Williams was disrespectful, and needed to be put in her place.
. There you go again.

What isn't opinion is she violated rules she understood. What isn't opinion is her reaction was over the top and disingenuous to her opponent and the tournament officials.

Tournament officials for all the open championshis are free to decide the decorum for their events.

That's not racist or mysogynist. That's protecting the brand.

All of what you just wrote is opinion...

You call all this negative attention and controversy over the Chair ump rousting the face of Women’s tennis, merely because he could, “protecting the brand?”

You really don’t see the contradiction, do you? Of course not.

Well, that's not what I said.

So go back and read it again.

No contradiction. It's their tournament, not hers. Players come and go.

The rules were known to her. They were enforced.

The rest was her doing.

That you wish to continue to excuse her behavior and attempt to make it rational, logical, and acceptable indicates your inhetent bias.

And once more. Those of is who watched the actual match see it for what it is, not what you and others wish had happened.

Too bad you can't admit when you're wrong.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: September 14, 2018, 12:10:01 PM »

So........

this is true then? -

That horrific hurricane, hitting that tine island with a ridiculously poor infrastructure - should only have killed 300 Puerto Rican residents.

Really?

No.  Really?

Gimme a break.

Nah, give me a break.  You are the one dismissing arrived at by an independent source using a proven statistical methodology that has been used to make similar estimates in the past out of hand, in favor of an assumption arrived at with no evidence that the number comes from statisticians with professional reputations sitting around a table and saying "Lets make up some numbers to make Trump look bad."

That you find the latter scenario more likely says all that needs be said about your judgment.

And no, I don't know for sure what might have been done better at a Federal level (though I've already pointed to some likely failures) any more than you know for sure that everyone was "working really hard" and nothing could have prevented those deaths.

What I do know for sure is that Trump and Republicans in Congress are making no effort to find out what could have been done better.  And that is unacceptable.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: September 14, 2018, 12:10:40 PM »

So........

this is true then? -

Really?

No.  Really?

Gimme a break.

Nope.  The deaths estimate is from post-storm causes that the government, at ALL levels, was responsible for intercepting.  Instead of whining "It's an island, you know," you allocate funds from other agencies, including the DoD, for airlifting in supplies and getting them distributed.  You suspend import/export regulations that are gumming up the works.  You get reliable and knowledgeable contractors to restore power, not some inexperienced startup from fucking Montana.  You establish emergency funding for the Red Cross, the Coast Guard, the CDC, whatever it takes.  You don't take the day off and go play golf.  And yes, money from other agencies, can be used for hurricane relief.  Money is reallocated between agencies all the time.  It's a routine part of our system. 

Who can say precisely how many lives would have been saved. That's not the point.  The point is that it's the proper role of the Chief Executive of our government to own up, and take responsibility when any government agency falters and screws up.  What makes Trump so odious is that he seems to see "strength" as consisting only in boasting and never admitting error.
But Benghazi.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: September 14, 2018, 12:11:43 PM »

MANPOWER was a problem.  FEMA was stretched.  Read ALL the stuff - not just what blasts the administration.  Could resources have been pulled from mainland work and sent to PR?  Maybe.  Lets look at that, justly - and stop with the "Trump hates Puerto Ricans" nonsense.

Yes!  Lets look at that.

It is Trump and Congressional Republicans who don't want to.

And while I've never said "Trump hates Puerto Ricans" I find it unfathomable that 3,000 deaths would be left unexamined had they occurred in Florida.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

barton

« Reply #2527 on: September 14, 2018, 12:13:28 PM »

Heh.

Kid, here's an example of a reallocation statute (there are several of them, of course)

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/22/2675

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: September 14, 2018, 12:13:54 PM »

It sounds like not only is Manafort flipping, he's doing the uneven parallel bars, the balance beam, and the vault.

He's a new age Olga Korbut.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: September 14, 2018, 12:15:03 PM »

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

barton

« Reply #2530 on: September 14, 2018, 12:21:36 PM »

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/allegations-celtics-guard-jabari-birds-domestic-violence-arrest-horrifying-185023790.html

Must be someone else's fault, right, Larry?

Worst. Serena. Analogy. EVER.

Now be sure and write 15 posts trolling me over that comment.  Otherwise, I'll think you're getting soft, champ.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: September 14, 2018, 12:36:43 PM »

It sounds like not only is Manafort flipping, he's doing the uneven parallel bars, the balance beam, and the vault.

I'm trying to figure out why he would do this.

He could have entered a plea without cooperation that would have resulted in more jail time, but by the time he finishes serving time from his convictions from the last trial, he had a reasonable expectation that Trump would pardon him.

Now, if he is providing information implicating the "President" he threw his Get Out Of Jail Free card out the window (without getting into the chances of he himself getting thrown out a window...)

Unless Manafort thinks Trump wouldn't actually issue that pardon (which would be contrary to what we know so far) the only explanation I can think of is that Mueller's team showed him that with or without his help, there is a very good chance that Trump will not be in a position to issue any pardons in the near future.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: September 14, 2018, 12:37:22 PM »

They want Trump to take more blame for PR.

I have no problem with this, though usually assigning blame is not what a government does.

Now - Puerto Rico's politicians, lets hear from you.  How is it your infrastructure is so poor.  And who took some of that relief money?  Come on - hands up.

Better yet - hands up if you didnt take any.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #2533 on: September 14, 2018, 12:41:51 PM »

Further -

Trump's statement, "They are just trying to make me look bad"

is true.

Trump's claim was that the numbers were generated by Democrats in order to make him look bad.  This is a lie.

As you yourself indicate, they were the result of a GWU study.  That those numbers make Trump look bad is what it is.  Facts have a way of stinging sometimes.  Particularly for liars who would do anything to avoid taking responsibility for their failures.

They arent facts.  Thats the problem

They are estimates - and everyone knows Trump means as a direct result of the hurricane

Now - again - please give specifics on how FEMA (and Trump) could have got the power on quicker, got insulin to the people quicker, etc

That's a fair question.  Here's one answer:

Trump could have done what he just did with the Coast Guard and FEMA*.  Pull money from another agency's budget.   And allocated it for rescue and recovery in Puerto Rico.  Due to it being a dire situation. 

*those monies have been re-allocated to ICE, for building more detention camps and expediting deportation.  See Rachel Maddow for specifics.  Or google Jeff Merkley ICE FEMA.

That ICE money cant be used for hurrican relief.  Maddow has it wrong.

Benghazi.  4 dead... 10 congressional investigations.

Puerto Rico at least 1000 dead... 0 congressional investigations.

Trump and GOP make themselves look bad because they suck.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #2534 on: September 14, 2018, 12:43:28 PM »

I'm trying to figure out why he would do this.

He could have entered a plea without cooperation that would have resulted in more jail time, but by the time he finishes serving time from his convictions from the last trial, he had a reasonable expectation that Trump would pardon him.

Now, if he is providing information implicating the "President" he threw his Get Out Of Jail Free card out the window (without getting into the chances of he himself getting thrown out a window...)

Unless Manafort thinks Trump wouldn't actually issue that pardon (which would be contrary to what we know so far) the only explanation I can think of is that Mueller's team showed him that with or without his help, there is a very good chance that Trump will not be in a position to issue any pardons in the near future.

Would you trust Trump?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 4288