Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1609143 times)

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #2535 on: September 14, 2018, 12:44:15 PM »

They want Trump to take more blame for PR.

I have no problem with this, though usually assigning blame is not what a government does.

On the contrary.  When Americans die, finding out what happened (assigning blame, if you like) is exactly what a government does:

https://www.npr.org/documents/2006/feb/katrina/house_report/katrina_report_full.pdf

And no, assigning a number of deaths to understand the scale of the disaster in Puerto Rico is not assigning blame.  Though I could understand how someone who knows they are guilty would think it so.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #2536 on: September 14, 2018, 12:44:52 PM »

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #2537 on: September 14, 2018, 12:46:42 PM »

I have no problem with this, though usually assigning blame is not what a government does.

On the contrary.  When Americans die, finding out what happened (assigning blame, if you like) is exactly what a government does:

https://www.npr.org/documents/2006/feb/katrina/house_report/katrina_report_full.pdf

And no, assigning a number of deaths to understand the scale of the disaster in Puerto Rico is not assigning blame.  Though I could understand how someone who knows they are guilty would think it so.

Benghazi - 4 dead... 10 congressional investigations.

Puerto Rico at least 1000 dead... 0 congressional investigations.

Come on, kid.

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: September 14, 2018, 12:55:03 PM »

It sounds like not only is Manafort flipping, he's doing the uneven parallel bars, the balance beam, and the vault.

He's a new age Olga Korbut.

I'm trying to figure out why he would do this.

He could have entered a plea without cooperation that would have resulted in more jail time, but by the time he finishes serving time from his convictions from the last trial, he had a reasonable expectation that Trump would pardon him.

Now, if he is providing information implicating the "President" he threw his Get Out Of Jail Free card out the window (without getting into the chances of he himself getting thrown out a window...)

Unless Manafort thinks Trump wouldn't actually issue that pardon (which would be contrary to what we know so far) the only explanation I can think of is that Mueller's team showed him that with or without his help, there is a very good chance that Trump will not be in a position to issue any pardons in the near future.

Would you trust Trump?

NO, but then, you couldn't even have paid me to vote for the guy.  Manafort worked unpaid to elect him.

Trump has a demonstrated willingness to issue politically motivated pardons, and let it be known to everyone that he was in discussions with his lawyers about pardoning Manafort.  This, on top of the tweets that praised him for "staying strong" and not "flipping."

Manafort must have had a reasonable expectation that he would be pardoned.  Not 100% of course, but measured against what he would be giving up without a plea that involved cooperation, I would guess a chance worth taking.

Now its possible that prosecutors never offered a plea without cooperation before this upcoming trial.  But even if that is true, I would still think there is more to this.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: September 14, 2018, 01:02:27 PM »

It sounds like not only is Manafort flipping, he's doing the uneven parallel bars, the balance beam, and the vault.

He could have entered a plea without cooperation that would have resulted in more jail time, but by the time he finishes serving time from his convictions from the last trial, he had a reasonable expectation that Trump would pardon him.

Now, if he is providing information implicating the "President" he threw his Get Out Of Jail Free card out the window (without getting into the chances of he himself getting thrown out a window...)

Unless Manafort thinks Trump wouldn't actually issue that pardon (which would be contrary to what we know so far) the only explanation I can think of is that Mueller's team showed him that with or without his help, there is a very good chance that Trump will not be in a position to issue any pardons in the near future.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiice.

heh

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #2540 on: September 14, 2018, 01:05:52 PM »

Would you trust Trump?

NO, but then, you couldn't even have paid me to vote for the guy.  Manafort worked unpaid to elect him.

Trump has a demonstrated willingness to issue politically motivated pardons, and let it be known to everyone that he was in discussions with his lawyers about pardoning Manafort.  This, on top of the tweets that praised him for "staying strong" and not "flipping."

Manafort must have had a reasonable expectation that he would be pardoned.  Not 100% of course, but measured against what he would be giving up without a plea that involved cooperation, I would guess a chance worth taking.

Now its possible that prosecutors never offered a plea without cooperation before this upcoming trial.  But even if that is true, I would still think there is more to this.

Manafort got on the campaign to try and make good his debts with the Russians, he also brought in Pence.

The writing is on the wall. Trump can’t pardon his way out everything. Barbara Underwood has him by the short hairs because of his company, the Foundation, and direct exposure to his family.
Manafort is no fool, he saw diminishing returns were involved in depending on Trump to do the right thing by him.

Trump demands loyalty but is loyal to no one. He is incapable of empathy.

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: September 14, 2018, 01:10:50 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/29/politics/san-juan-mayor-carmen-yulin-cruz-death-toll-cnntv/index.html

Looks like blame to me

But she blames PR politicians as well, at least.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: September 14, 2018, 01:11:05 PM »

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/allegations-celtics-guard-jabari-birds-domestic-violence-arrest-horrifying-185023790.html

Must be someone else's fault, right, Larry?

Worst. Serena. Analogy. EVER.

Now be sure and write 15 posts trolling me over that comment.  Otherwise, I'll think you're getting soft, champ.

Bite me. No, trolling. Just clarifying Larry's "perspective".

You may now resume your usual position, on the sidelines.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: September 14, 2018, 01:14:50 PM »

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/allegations-celtics-guard-jabari-birds-domestic-violence-arrest-horrifying-185023790.html

What does this have to do with the price of fish?

You are always ready to speak about injustice to members of the community.

Now, you've turned black feminist.

Was surprised you didn't toss that up there yourself.

Thought it would give you a chance to explain your pov on this matter, and the longstanding matter of physical and emotional abuse suffered by so many at the hands of the entitled within the black community.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 01:23:04 PM by MrUtley3 »
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: September 14, 2018, 01:25:32 PM »

Manafort just got a Get out of jail card, but it cost him about $46 million.

If Manafort cooperates with Mueller he will essentially receive a pardon, Trump could pardon him for the Fedderal crimes, but he still faces state charges that might keep a 70 YO guy in jail for the rest of his life.

So he probably saw the litany of Federal and state charges in front of him, and made a choice to spend some of his remaining years out of prison.

He just has to stay away from plutonium-infused vodka for awhile. 

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #2545 on: September 14, 2018, 01:49:17 PM »

Thought it would give you a chance to explain your pov on this matter, and the longstanding matter of physical and emotional abuse suffered by so many at the hands of the entitled within the black community.

I am and have been a “feminist.”

Harvey Weinstein, Les Moonves, Bill O’Reilly, David Sorensen and Rob Porter, to name just a few of the entitled within the white community...

Now have a heaping slice of Shut The Fuck Up, asshole.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 01:51:23 PM by LarryBnDC usetab Knicks12 »

Lyndon Johnson

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: September 14, 2018, 01:55:20 PM »

I am and have been a “feminist.”

Harvey Weinstein, Les Moonves, Bill O’Reilly, David Sorensen and Rob Porter, to name just a few of the entitled within the white community...

Now have a heaping slice of Shut The Fuck Up, asshole.

Knicks

Why is there air?

LOL

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: September 14, 2018, 02:17:55 PM »

"This was done by the Democrats in order to make me look as bad as possible when I was successfully raising Billions of Dollars to help rebuild Puerto Rico. If a person died for any reason, like old age, just add them onto the list. Bad politics. I love Puerto Rico!" he wrote.

Discuss.

Why didn't you discuss it?!

It is the same old garbage, Kiid, in which Trump dismisses any report he does not like.

He thinks that if somebody dies because their electrolysis machine stopped working from lack of electricity that reporting that as a death caused by the hurricane is somehow aimed at embarrassing him.

You think this is fine and good.

And you have yet to admit that maybe, just maybe, when the GAO and FEMA point fingers at FEMA that they might be right or that the president erred in delaying sending military aid for two weeks!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: September 14, 2018, 02:21:47 PM »

Further -

Trump's statement, "They are just trying to make me look bad"

is true.

No, it isn't.

This is the same model used for other such events.

And nobody needs to "make me look bad." He does that all by himself. You do help him along.
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 4288