Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1583734 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #2550 on: September 14, 2018, 02:29:46 PM »

Quote from: LarryBnDC usetab Knicks12 link=topic=55.msg68436#msg68436 date=15369434

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/allegations-celtics-guard-jabari-birds-domestic-violence-arrest-horrifying-185023790.html

Must be someone else's fault, right, Larry?

What does this have to do with the price of fish?

You are always ready to speak about injustice to members of the community.

Now, you've turned black feminist.

Was surprised you didn't toss that up there yourself.

Thought it would give you a chance to explain your pov on this matter, and the longstanding matter of physical and emotional abuse suffered by so many at the hands of the entitled within the black community.

I am and have been a “feminist.”

Harvey Weinstein, Les Moonves, Bill O’Reilly, David Sorensen and Rob Porter, to name just a few of the entitled within the white community...

Now have a heaping slice of Shut The Fuck Up, asshole.

Do you not know the difference between domestic violence and sexual harrassment? As a black feminist you should.

Consider: In 2010, more than one in three women reported experiencing relationship violence and nearly 70 percent of those reporting experienced these behaviors under the age of 25, reveals the National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey. African-American women are not only disproportionately affected by relationship violence, we are also more likely to die from it. Homicidal domestic violence is one of the leading causes of death among Black women between the ages of 15 and 35, according to statistics.

Source:
Essence.com

Of course, a part of the explanation for the high rate of domestic violence in the black community is due to historical poor relationship with the police, who are often not called in. Other resources for abused women in black community are not necessarily present, either, not to mention the economics that keep many women trapped in abusive relationships.

And, as far as calling the police in, many women would rather take the abuse than see another black man in jail.

It's a very thorny issue, not easily explained away simply through society's shortcomings, though.

The black church hasn't done enough to address the issue.

Most concerning, it's a serious problem that many within the community don't like to talk about.

That makes things worse because the silence, the failure to acknowledge the problem, or to only acknowledge it by criticizing institutional and historical constructs that surround the issue is only enabling the abusers.

Women are dying within your community, Larry, and you don't seem to care.

Guess we can count you among that group of silent enablers, since you wish to deflect from the topic.

Larry. Your outrage seems limited. Perhaps look inward at times.

And address it with blaming others.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 02:33:20 PM by MrUtley3 »
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: September 14, 2018, 02:38:40 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/14/politics/immigrant-children-kept-detention/index.html

Why are there more kids in federal detention than ever before?

Because they are releasing them more slowly and keeping them longer

Not because the kids have done anything worse to merit such treatment, just for political purposes.

Like I said, no need for anybody to make Trump look worse. He does it all on his own.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: September 14, 2018, 02:55:31 PM »

Meghan Markle was an actress from California when she met the Prince of England, Prince Harry, and she later married him. My buddy Jon's friend's Mom, Gigi Perreau, was one of her acting teachers here in California.

Grace Kelly was an actress who attended the same acting school that I attended, the American Academy of Dramatic Arts, when she met Prince Rainier of Monaco, and she later married him.

Princess Charlotte Casiraghi of Monaco is not married yet, she is pregnant, and she has a kid, but maybe I have a shot at dating her after she has her kid.

And I would love to go to Monte Carlo, Monaco, to try to get a financier to put up the money to make my movie, and if my movie is successful then I can cover the cost of my own dreams.

Of note, everyone loves Anaheim, maybe Princess Charlotte Casiraghi would like to come check out Anaheim, and go to Disneyland, and to go party at Club 33. And Malibu is close by. Etc. California is pretty great, maybe the Princess would like to come spend some time in California. And she can help me to make my movie. I will hire all of my friends and pay them huge amounts of money.

Anyhow, people love actors and filmmakers, the Princess might love me, and she might want to come spend some time right here in California. We can go to Europe later, after I make my movie here.

Salute,

Tony V.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #2554 on: September 14, 2018, 03:07:27 PM »

”Do you not know the difference between domestic violence and sexual harrassment?

Don’t you?

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2018/02/09/rob-porter-was-quintessential-golden-boy-from-belmont-now-accused-abuse-two-wives/NloiHioR0akJShDV2AqD4O/story.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/ex-wife-accused-wh-aide-rips-trump-suggesting-he-didn-n847531

Give it up. You bitch that I speak about the black experience in America but then want me to be responsible for all black people in America.

Why don’t you answer for all the white men who stalk others on the internet and threaten to dox them? You should know all about that.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: September 14, 2018, 03:13:56 PM »

Further -

Trump's statement, "They are just trying to make me look bad"

is true.

Trump's claim was that the numbers were generated by Democrats in order to make him look bad.  This is a lie.

As you yourself indicate, they were the result of a GWU study.  That those numbers make Trump look bad is what it is.  Facts have a way of stinging sometimes.  Particularly for liars who would do anything to avoid taking responsibility for their failures.

They arent facts.  Thats the problem

They are estimates - and everyone knows Trump means as a direct result of the hurricane

Now - again - please give specifics on how FEMA (and Trump) could have got the power on quicker, got insulin to the people quicker, etc

That's a fair question.  Here's one answer:

Trump could have done what he just did with the Coast Guard and FEMA*.  Pull money from another agency's budget.   And allocated it for rescue and recovery in Puerto Rico.  Due to it being a dire situation. 

*those monies have been re-allocated to ICE, for building more detention camps and expediting deportation.  See Rachel Maddow for specifics.  Or google Jeff Merkley ICE FEMA.

That ICE money cant be used for hurrican relief.  Maddow has it wrong.

MANPOWER was a problem.  FEMA was stretched.  Read ALL the stuff - not just what blasts the administration.  Could resources have been pulled from mainland work and sent to PR?  Maybe.  Lets look at that, justly - and stop with the "Trump hates Puerto Ricans" nonsense.

Yes.

And Trump mishandled the military's involvement.

Trump brags about the floating hospital.
https://www.cnn.com/2017/10/16/health/puerto-rico-hospital-ship/index.html

33 out of 250 beds were in use two weeks after the ship got there.

Failure to communicate effectively how to access the ship rests with FEMA.

On Sept. 19th, Trump promised aid:
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/910328626075389952?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E910328626075389952&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fthehill.com%2Fhomenews%2Fadministration%2F353238-a-look-back-at-trumps-response-to-the-humanitarian-crisis-in-puerto

Puerto Rico being hit hard by new monster Hurricane. Be careful, our hearts are with you- will be there to help!

A week later, he explained that it was a big ocean. A very big ocean.
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/352450-trump-to-travel-to-puerto-rico-to-survey-damage

He also revised how the disaster was to be handled - originally, he had set PR to split costs evenly with FEMA, but now made it just FEMA's.

On the 28th, Trump finally lifted (temporarily) the Jones Act, a "shipping law, which requires American-made and -operated vessels to transport cargo between U.S. ports" The shift only lasted for 10 days and went into effect immediately - but it allowed foreign aid to get there.

On the same day, it was observed that there were thousands of containers sitting at the port, filled with supplies that were not being distributed by FEMA.

Oh, right - what could have been done?
http://thehill.com/policy/defense/353137-not-enough-troops-equipment-in-puerto-rico-says-general-in-charge-of-relief

On the 29th, the general in charge of relief said they did not have enough people! He must have been seeking to embarrass Trump, too, right Kiid?! Sure, he said it in 2017, but so what? He knew a report would come out.
“We're certainly bringing in more [troops]," Buchanan said on CNN’s “New Day.”

"For example, on the military side, we're bringing in both Air Force, Navy and Army medical capabilities in addition to aircraft, more helicopters. ... [But] it's not enough, and we're bringing more in.”

The Pentagon has already allocated more than 4,000 troops to help in rescue and restoration efforts to the U.S. territories, but it wasn’t until Thursday, eight days after Maria slammed the Caribbean, that U.S. Northern Command sent Buchanan.

Homeland Security Advisor said there was no need for a commander before he was finally sent, 8 days after the storm. Clearly, that was false.

You asked what they could have done differently.

They could have had the Comfort ready to deploy faster - we knew the storm was coming, Kiid. But they had a 5-6 day delay on its deployment while they waited to get it up to staffing level.

They could have had the general there a week earlier so he could have figured out they were short of necessary people that much sooner. That would have allowed faster distribution of generators to stricken areas, getting temporary power up faster.

They could have taken over distribution from the poorly trained, physically unable FEMA employees, since they were healthier, stronger, and better trained.

I suspect that there would still have been a lot of deaths - but I also think they could have cut the number in half - whether you fucking like the GWU determination or not!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: September 14, 2018, 03:20:10 PM »

The Pentagon's effort to date remains smaller than relief operations marshaled after other major natural disasters, including Katrina in 2005 and the 2013 typhoon that devastated the Philippines. In those cases, the military established a joint task force led by a three-star general. Critics of the response to Maria have called for the Pentagon to do so in Puerto Rico, too.

9/27/2017

Why were the efforts smaller? They were also slower and smaller than our response to Haiti's earthquake.

They sure weren't smaller because of the media, Kiid, or the Democrats trying to make Trump look bad.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #2557 on: September 14, 2018, 03:28:35 PM »

The Pentagon's effort to date remains smaller than relief operations marshaled after other major natural disasters, including Katrina in 2005 and the 2013 typhoon that devastated the Philippines. In those cases, the military established a joint task force led by a three-star general. Critics of the response to Maria have called for the Pentagon to do so in Puerto Rico, too.

9/27/2017

Why were the efforts smaller? They were also slower and smaller than our response to Haiti's earthquake.

They sure weren't smaller because of the media, Kiid, or the Democrats trying to make Trump look bad.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/406692-trump-biographer-trump-doesnt-see-people-who-arent-white-as-people

“Donald does not see people who are not white as people,” Johnston said. “And he’s been like this for a long, long time. This not a newly acquired or strange thing.”

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: September 14, 2018, 03:31:57 PM »

Unrelated to the Trump, NFL, or Tennis wars is this bit from the news about the explosions (60-80 fires and explosions!) in Massachusetts:

NTSB says it’s involved because pipelines are a mode of transportation

Say what?!

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: September 14, 2018, 03:39:50 PM »

They want Trump to take more blame for PR.

That could only happen if he were actually president. Since he hasn’t won any elections and hasn’t been fulfilling any governmental functions, the buck obviously wouldn’t stop with him.

The republicans should have run a candidate for president in 2016.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: September 14, 2018, 03:58:16 PM »

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: September 14, 2018, 04:00:19 PM »

They couldn't explain it in 280 characters.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

barton

« Reply #2563 on: September 14, 2018, 04:01:10 PM »

Unrelated to the Trump, NFL, or Tennis wars is this bit from the news about the explosions (60-80 fires and explosions!) in Massachusetts:

NTSB says it’s involved because pipelines are a mode of transportation

Say what?!

Transport includes freight.   Any commodity,  whether it's trucked, flown,  shipped by rail, or piped,  is freight. 

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: September 14, 2018, 04:02:45 PM »

A team of researchers spent six months poring over death certificates, speaking to funeral home directors and interviewing doctors to arrive at a death toll of nearly 3,000 people as result of Hurricane Maria's devastation to Puerto Rico, according to the lead author of the study.

Sounds like they do have a list of actual names, Kiid.

The GWU researchers included epidemiologists, a demographer, a public health nutritionist, environmental health scientists, two public health research assistants, an anthropologist, a behavioral scientist and two health communication experts.

They interviewed doctors, health officials, funeral home directors, hospital directors, forensic pathologists and others involved with the death certification process to get a full picture of how deaths were classified after the storm and used guidelines set by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Along the way, their methodology was reviewed by a Johns Hopkins University researcher and by a panel of national and international experts in the field, Santos-Burgoa said.

He said the team was “obsessed” with getting as much peer input as possible.

"We were doing the project, but we had other eyes looking at us," Santos-Burgoa said.

The report concluded that doctors and forensic pathologists on the ground in Puerto Rico didn't have the correct guidance – from either the state or federal government – to accurately classify deaths, leading to the low figure.

Damned scientists, always getting in the way!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 04:04:17 PM by josh »
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 4288