Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1597391 times)

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #2610 on: September 15, 2018, 03:39:03 PM »

Some of my neighbors are out doing public service by knocking on doors to discuss issues for the up-coming election. I agree with them on the issues.

Measure L in Anaheim will require employers who receive a subsidy from the tax payers to pay employees at least 15 dollars per hour, and it will also require employers to allow valets and waitresses and others to keep their tips. I fully support Measure L. 

And they told me that Jose Moreno is running for re-election, and they want to make sure that I support him. Jose attended Harvard, he is a smart guy, and I fully support Jose Moreno.

http://anaheim.net/3523/Mayor-Pro-Tem-Jose-F-Moreno

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: September 15, 2018, 04:00:40 PM »

Some of my neighbors are out doing public service by knocking on doors to discuss issues for the up-coming election. I agree with them on the issues.

Measure L in Anaheim will require employers who receive a subsidy from the tax payers to pay employees at least 15 dollars per hour, and it will also require employers to allow valets and waitresses and others to keep their tips. I fully support Measure L.

And they told me that Jose Moreno is running for re-election, and they want to make sure that I support him. Jose attended Harvard, he is a smart guy, and I fully support Jose Moreno.

http://anaheim.net/3523/Mayor-Pro-Tem-Jose-F-Moreno

Salute,

Tony V.

Measure L is sort of like Prevailing Wage on government jobs. People support Prevailing Wage on government jobs, so they should support a living wage being paid to workers at Disneyland, etc, if the corporations receive subsidies from the tax payers. And when you pay huge amounts of money to go to Disneyland and stay at the hotels, and eat at the restaurants, etc, you want the workers to be paid fair, and you want the workers to be able to keep the tips that they earn, etc.

Salute,

Tony V.

oilcan

« Reply #2612 on: September 15, 2018, 04:04:59 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/15/politics/kfile-sinema-flyers/index.html

From the article...

Reflecting on the rally a year later, in an interview with local media KTAR, Sinema said the war was about American access to oil.
"So this is not about the United States doing the right and moral thing by a toppling an evil dictator," she said. "This is more about the United States having access to the oil and the power and control and world stature that it's seeking. It's not about the individuals in Iraq."   

True.  Sounds like a smart cookie.   Also sounds like she's veered more Moderate,  in order to survive politically in Arizona.  So?

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: September 15, 2018, 04:09:33 PM »

LEAD makes you wear your underwear out

- Josh

heh

Thank you for further reminder of your lack of humanity and your racist proclivities.

That that was all you got from what I wrote is typical of you.

No news.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: September 15, 2018, 04:24:04 PM »

Reflecting on the rally a year later, in an interview with local media KTAR, Sinema said the war was about American access to oil.
"So this is not about the United States doing the right and moral thing by a toppling an evil dictator," she said. "This is more about the United States having access to the oil and the power and control and world stature that it's seeking. It's not about the individuals in Iraq."   

heh

yeah - the prevailing "wisdom" of the time.

Even more ridiculous now
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 04:27:18 PM by kiidcarter8 »

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: September 15, 2018, 04:25:53 PM »

LEAD makes you wear your underwear out

- Josh

heh

Thank you for further reminder of your lack of humanity and your racist proclivities.

That that was all you got from what I wrote is typical of you.

No news.
Sorry, Josh. You're cut off after 280.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

barton

« Reply #2616 on: September 15, 2018, 04:29:57 PM »

Kid is Benjamin Button of this Board.

I looked at his lead joke and had the same basic thought.   I'm sure that joke would play  well in middle school.   

Heavy metal toxicity - boy,  what a thigh-slapper. 

barton

« Reply #2617 on: September 15, 2018, 04:33:50 PM »

heh

yeah - the prevailing "wisdom" of the time.

Even more ridiculous now

I'm sure we would have done just the same to help Iraq if their main export had been pottery and wicker.  Jesus,  you're naive.   

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: September 15, 2018, 04:46:53 PM »

You can just call me Kid.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: September 15, 2018, 05:06:16 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/14/myrtle-beach-poorest-evacuating-costly-hurricane-florence

What poverty means when confronted with a storm like Florence.   I wonder what political party the landlord mentioned in the article belongs to.  He boards up just the windows on his own unit,  and then leaves the rest of the complex to fend for itself.   I mean,  wow.   

Regarding black bootstrap tugging... Josh points out some aspects that that nice (Utley quoted,  prev.  page)  pep talk won't fix.   I would add that gangs,  terrible as they are,  are a response to urban government and law enforcement which has caused a lack of trust in marginalized communities in said governance and policing.   Ethnic groups subject to bigotry and abuse,  including Italians,  Irish,  Latinos,  have all formed gang subcultures when they fear a more powerful ruling class.  We are all part of the solution,  if there is to be one.

As a Christian, and being involved with Youth For Christ, and the Burbank YMCA, etc, I was taught that I am third. God is first, and everyone else but me is second, and I am third. And even on the farm as a kid, you feed the animals before you eat, and you learn to take care of a living thing outside of yourself. The same with managing a dog kennel, etc. Many people are selfish, and then selfishness attracts depression, and you have tons of people committing suicide, etc. The answer is to get outside of yourself, and take care and help a living thing outside of yourself. Then as we all help each other then we will all be happier, and things improve. 

And like here at my apartment complex, I would help the neighbors all board up, and then I would board mine up last. That is just the way I was raised.

(And I am sort of scared on my apartment complex, we have new owners and they are raising the rent. That is how the housing crisis happened, people are buying the housing and they are raising rent, and people are all into flipping houses, they want to buy low and sell high, and the poor people are ending up homeless. And we also have gentrification in Anaheim, everyone wants to live in Anaheim, and so they can charge high rents. Please add me to your prayers if you pray. I need for a lot of good things to happen.)

On the issue of gangs, and Godfathers, you also have the issue of the immigrants being afraid of the police, and being afraid of ICE, etc. They cannot go to the police, so they go to the Godfather, or whomever. We need to make our immigrants legal so that they are not afraid to call the police and so they can legally work and join unions, etc.

Salute,

Tony V.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: September 15, 2018, 06:09:49 PM »

Shit you don't want to hear:

In the 1980s, as a young black male living in Los Angeles, I belonged to a gang, wore its colors, and protected its turf. So many of my friends were getting killed that I attended funerals weekly. It became devastating. Now, when I hear some people say that once a person joins a gang, they can't get out, I know it's not true - it can be done.

I have tried to give back to my community as a counselor of teens and young men in several U.S. cities. The dysfunctional social and cultural norms are the biggest problems to tackle. Machismo can be transformed into a positive sense of pride in one's body, reinforced through healthy nutrition and exercise. The sense of hopelessness, animated by attendance at funerals of one's relatives and friends, can be transmuted into a sense of anger and "enough is enough" sentiment to take responsibility for one's destiny. 

Based upon my discussions with D.C. public school teachers and their peers in other cities, I am convinced that improper dress, particularly showing off one's underwear, is more than just a wrong aesthetic choice; it manifests a lack of self-respect. If we disrespect ourselves, we cannot gain the respect of others.

But none of this would work without a major effort by the black leadership to abandon the blame game and dedicate themselves to helping their communities. Having community leaders live in the inner cities, rather than the suburbs, would be a good start. Trust in police would be enhanced if they lived amongst the people they protect. Black pastors would be more effective if they lived among their parishioners and expanded their churches' outreach to young males on the streets.

http://thehill.com/opinion/civil-rights/406077-its-on-us-to-end-black-on-black-crime-hopelessness

It's pretty wry, Utley.

You hide your racism better than Kiid and Redd do, but certain topics bring it out almost as surely as a win by a Boston sports team brings out your anti-Boston rhetoric.

In this case, I posted an article about ripple effects from police shootings. You felt compelled to bring out an article about black-on-black violence. Has nothing to do with what I presented, but it let you drum your same old tune.

But you are just as clueless as Kiid is when it comes to your obsessions. This is one of those times.

VIolence in our cities is a major problem. Violence committed by blacks, violence done to blacks. Violence done by whites and to whites. And violence to every other racial group and by every other racial group.

What Greg Raleigh and you don't seem to understand is that it is not a problem that can be solved solely by the African-American community by itself because it is not a problem caused solely by the African-America community. Would that it were that simple.

There are 3,810 neighborhood areas with recently recorded childhood lead poisoning rates at least double those found across Flint, Michigan, during the peak of that city’s water contamination crisis in 2014 and 2015. Some 1,300 of these hotspots had a rate of elevated blood tests at least four times higher than Flint’s.
[/size]

Lead poisoning is harmful to humans in bunches of ways. And, unsurprisingly in hindsight, the creation of leaded gas was followed, 16 years later, with a rise in violence. With the phasing out of leaded gas, a drop in violence. But phasing out of the gas doesn't mean lead is gone, merely that that source of it is gone. The pipes still have lead in them in far too many places, mostly cities and mostly in the poorer neighborhoods.

Where do we see lead poisoning? Funny you should ask:
New York City.
Chicago, with more risk areas than NYC on a percentage basis.

LA is not as bad, about half the percentage of Chicago's risk areas. Neither is Miami, with a 10th of NYC's or a 6th of LA's.

Lead isn't the only factor. We know other pollutants have a reductive effect on cognitive capacity. We also know that the areas with greater pollutants in the air are racially imbalanced, sometimes by seeming happenstance, but other times blatantly intentionally, as with East St. Louis.

We are also learning about the epigenetics of poverty, seeing that poverty can increase the vulnerability to both some kinds of mental illness and to addiction.

Add in poorer educational opportunities, fewer job opportunities, population density, and systemic racism. None of those are within the control of the inner city residents. Unfulfilled promises*, short-sighted political programs*, drug policies*, and so much more can get added to the mix. Gangs come as a response to conditions*. They don't spring up so readily where the youth feel served and supported.

It's a massive problem without simple short term solutions. Leadership is needful, but part of what that leadership must do is be educated about the full situation. Greg Raleigh has seen the surface of the problem. He needs to look deeper at it.

*From LBJ through Nixon to Bill Clinton, as well as before and after them, and from Model Cities to the War on Drugs, our presidents and our Congresses have failed the inner cities. Some of it was well-meaning, like Model Cities or even the mandatory sentencing. Some of it, like the War on Drugs, were mean-spirited at best and evil in all likelihood. But their impact has been to leave a dispirited kind of learned helplessness for some of the adults in these communities, which makes them even less capable of building the resilience these places need.

Nice diversion. Besides the fact that, as a committed Masshole, you like to sling the racist label onto anyone who wants to have an honest conversation about the black community, I think the author has a lot more understanding of what is happening within his community than you do.

And he seemed to state it very clearly.

You didn't even address his points.

Which is typical of your style of posting. Move the core of the conversation to something other than it was so you can attempt to demonize those with whom you disagree.

Sad that you can't disarm your own bias and consider Raleigh's opinion as informed and worth careful consideration.

Instead, you've launched into the usual uberliberal kneejerk garbage you've posted here.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 06:14:01 PM by MrUtley3 »
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: September 15, 2018, 06:12:14 PM »

Fucking TRump!  6 dead already.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/hurricane-florence-dle/index.html

Your inability to follow sequences when they offend your preferred politics is stupid.

AFTER STORM vs. DURING STORM.

Is that really that hard for you?

Or are you so caught up in your pro-Trumpian blather that you have to defend him even when you know you are wrong?
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: September 15, 2018, 06:16:14 PM »

Instead, you've launched into the usual uberliberal kneejerk garbage you've posted here.

Yeah, that "uberliberal kneejerk garbage," like epigenetics, lead from gasoline, lead from pipes, and effects of pollution.

Damned uberliberal scientists.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: September 15, 2018, 06:17:26 PM »

Nice diversion. Besides the fact that, as a committed Masshole, you like to sling the racist label onto anyone who wants to have an honest conversation about the black community, I think the author has a lot more understanding of what is happening within his community than you do.

This is a hilarious argument coming from you, given that you refuse to give Larry the same credit you want me to give Greg!
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 4288