Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1584221 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #2655 on: September 16, 2018, 06:47:21 PM »

opinion[/color]/andrew-bolt/lefts-growing-violence-will-not-end-well/news-story/d258db89de1c3f7f335ddd1e9338c398]https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/opinion/andrew-bolt/lefts-growing-violence-will-not-end-well/news-story/d258db89de1c3f7f335ddd1e9338c398

Left’s growing violence will not end well

Andrew Bolt, Herald Sun
Well there you go.

What's being done about the violent Left?    nothing much it seems.

Over the last decade, 71% of domestic extremist related killings in the US were linked to right-wing extremists

Majority of 2017 extremist murders in US were committed by right-wingers: Report

Because your author's opinion has nothing to do with the United States and quite likely little to do with your own country.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: September 16, 2018, 06:53:08 PM »

opinion[/color]/andrew-bolt/lefts-growing-violence-will-not-end-well/news-story/d258db89de1c3f7f335ddd1e9338c398]https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/opinion/andrew-bolt/lefts-growing-violence-will-not-end-well/news-story/d258db89de1c3f7f335ddd1e9338c398

Andrew Bolt, Herald Sun
Well there you go.

Over the last decade, 71% of domestic extremist related killings in the US were linked to right-wing extremists

Majority of 2017 extremist murders in US were committed by right-wingers: Report

Because your author's opinion has nothing to do with the United States and quite likely little to do with your own country.

Nor with the UK:
"White suspects accounted for 38 per cent of terror-related arrests, followed by those of Asian appearance on 37 per cent and black suspects on 9 per cent.

“This was the first time, since the year ending June 2005, that the proportion of white people arrested has exceeded the proportion of Asian people arrested,” the report said.

“It was the second highest number of arrests of white people in a year since the data collection began in 2001.”"
and

"The demographics of terrorists in prison, where Islamists make up the majority, is also changing, as the number of far-right extremists jailed rises."
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: September 16, 2018, 08:12:26 PM »

Masshole

And every time you use that term, you just prove my point.

Booooooooring.

Still dodging the original post, I see.

With every diversion, you underscore the Trump-like ways you've put in play.

So sad what you've become.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: September 16, 2018, 08:46:18 PM »

Tony

I will indeed pray for you, sir.

But two things about your passage:

Selfishness causes depression?  Really?

And as for the immigrants "afraid to go to the police" - too much made of this.  Someone does you wrong - you say so.

Probably not if you're in the country illegally.

So when you report a crime the first thing they do is see if you are a citizen?

I dont think so.

What they might do is ask you for ID.
They do seem to like to know if reports are genuine.

I would imagine the last thing an illegal alien would do is engage law enforcement of any description.

/faints/

If I were an illegal alien in America the very last thing I'd ever be doing would be contacting the cops.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: September 16, 2018, 10:01:22 PM »

Andrew Bolt, Herald Sun
Well there you go.

And.....?

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: September 16, 2018, 11:27:24 PM »

I have been asked on multiple occasions to substantiate claims that Trump is a bigot.

Here's a new one to me:
https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-braille-blind-people-1118601

He (illegally) had the Braille removed from Trump Tower because he said "no blind person is every going to live (there)."

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: September 16, 2018, 11:28:24 PM »

Andrew Bolt, Herald Sun
Well there you go.

And.....?

I know.

It's so hard to follow reasoned statements.

Consider your head patted, Kiid. Maybe Red will explain it to you. Or Bambi.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: September 17, 2018, 12:37:57 AM »

Seems like Brett is hitting a few road bumps on his way to a stolen seat.

http://www.politico.com/story/2018/09/16/kavanaugh-allegation-anonymous-republicans-825855

One candidate, staffer, and nominee after another, trump is having a harder time normalizing rapey behavior and rapey individuals than he thought he would.

Porter, Moore, and Kavanaugh are all peas in a pod.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #2663 on: September 17, 2018, 12:43:42 AM »

This will set some tongues to wagging and some heads to exploding, but DAMN!

There is a tendency, when talking about these things, to wring our hands about “both sides.” But the truth is that this is not a symmetrical problem. We should be clear about this: The increasing radicalism and irresponsibility of the Republican Party, including decades of demeaning government, demonizing Democrats, and debasing norms, is what gave us Donald Trump. Whether it was abusing the filibuster and stealing a Supreme Court seat, gerrymandering congressional districts to disenfranchise African Americans, or muzzling government climate scientists, Republicans were undermining American democracy long before Trump made it to the Oval Office.

Now we must do all we can to save our democracy and heal our body politic.

[
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/09/american-democracy-is-in-crisis/570394/
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: September 17, 2018, 02:19:43 AM »

She makes a lot of damn good points. It’s no wonder most of those who voted in 2016 wanted her to be President.

Defanging fascist billionaires is the project of the decade, starting with Mercers and Kochs.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: September 17, 2018, 03:42:41 AM »

She makes a lot of damn good points. It’s no wonder most of those who voted in 2016 wanted her to be President.

Defanging fascist billionaires is the project of the decade, starting with Mercers and Kochs.

About the Kochs...

https://www.tampabay.com/florida-politics/buzz/2018/09/13/koch-funded-group-supports-voting-rights-for-felons-in-florida/?link_id=33&can_id=07eacbbfede2c683c4563a3201f538b8&source=email-voting-rights-roundup-new-yorks-progressive-primary-wins-may-pave-the-way-to-expand-voting-rights&email_referrer=email_418365&email_subject=voting-rights-roundup-new-yorks-progressive-primary-wins-may-pave-the-way-to-expand-voting-rights

A group they fund is supporting the measure, Amendment 4 on the Florida ballot — the proposal to restore voting rights to most convicted felons without hearings or delays.

It's got a lot of folks scratching their heads, trying to figure out what they're missing.

I can't blame them.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: September 17, 2018, 05:55:02 AM »

Shouldn't the Dems always be talking about voting rights, voter access, voter turnout?

They should make sure folks associate them with the issue, the way the GOP is linked with tax cuts.

They should make it part of their core identity.
Talk about citizenship and the right to vote as an essential part of freedom.  Talk about the true majority finally being represented, etc.

Anything that increases turnout usually favors the Dems, which is why the Repubs are the party of limiting voter access.  Dems have to constantly hammer away at the importance of voting, voting rights/access.  Especially need to up midterm turnouts.
But Hillary could have won the last election with some better turnout figures.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: September 17, 2018, 06:04:19 AM »

Also, Dems need to run more on issues -- health care, environment, education, corporate/financial regulation, worker pay, abortion rights -- where their positions are popular. 

And less on identity politics, which has resulted in a reactionary white backlash. 

Look at Hillary's otherwise very good summation of the Trump dangers.  She lists transgender rights in the military as one Trump horror.  Sorry, but isn't that a very minor issue, that frankly few care about and many are probably troubled by.  Why does that make it into a summation of the Trump presidency.  It's like when Bill acted on gays in the military very early in his presidency, instead of waiting a while and slipping it through later.  Need to have priorities and perspective.  Work on big issues that affect most people's lives and livelihood and standard of living. 
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: September 17, 2018, 08:04:07 AM »

Excellent post, Bo, and similar to what I've been posting here for a long time; usually as a preface to one of my posts pining for the days of political bosses.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: September 17, 2018, 08:55:00 AM »

I have been asked on multiple occasions to substantiate claims that Trump is a bigot.

Here's a new one to me:
https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-braille-blind-people-1118601

He (illegally) had the Braille removed from Trump Tower because he said "no blind person is every going to live (there)."

Trump deep down did not expect that the architect would take out the braille, according to Res. She brought up the incident, of which the date is unknown, because it drew a resemblance to absurd alleged exchanges detailed by investigative journalist Bob Woodward in his new book Fear: Trump in the White House, and in an anonymous op-ed by a senior Trump administration member published in The New York Times last week.

Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 4288