Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1593377 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #2700 on: September 18, 2018, 08:48:46 AM »

So....

what do we all think?

Is Kavanaugh toast?

barton

« Reply #2701 on: September 18, 2018, 09:42:20 AM »

Good anecdote of the Nuke plant,  Bo.  If I see a jpg will post it.  The plant effluent water must churn up more food,  because otherwise fish generally migrate to cooler water which has more dissolved oxygen.  So there has to be a nutritive motivation to go into warmer water.   I know the cooling towers do cool it somewhat, but iirc it's always a few degrees warmer than what came in.   

Josh,  I notice Oilcan also posted the same caustically funny Alexa Petri column.   Every man should be worried.   Heh.   

barton

« Reply #2702 on: September 18, 2018, 10:03:09 AM »

So....

what do we all think?

Is Kavanaugh toast?

Per AP news...

Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California, the top Democrat on the Judiciary panel, said in a statement Monday night that she was disappointed the FBI and White House “are failing to take even the most basic steps to investigate this matter” and that the process was being rushed. She said President George H.W. Bush had asked the FBI to investigate Anita Hill’s allegations against Thomas.

Another Democrat on the panel, Sen. Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut, said staging the hearing without the FBI investigation would make it a “sham.”   

Without a proper investigation, the hearing is unlikely to persuade any of Kavanaugh's supporters to reconsider.  The hearing will indeed be a sham, with two people giving widely different accounts of an event that happened decades ago.   

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: September 18, 2018, 11:27:17 AM »

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/09/16/bill-maher-scolds-loser-libs-over-kavanaugh-high-school-allegation-makes-us-look-bad.html?intcmp=ob_article_footer_text&intcmp=obnetwork
That's some hard-hitting journalism right there. 

I wonder if Maher would still call her an "anonymous source."  I wonder what Maher would say if the allegation was, you know, true. 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 11:31:58 AM by Yankguy1 »
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: September 18, 2018, 12:15:15 PM »

I know the cooling towers do cool it somewhat, but iirc it's always a few degrees warmer than what came in.   

Not sure how warm the everyday discharge water was, but there were a number of Oops! incidents over the years where water as hot as 96F was released and would kill everything within a given radius.

The warm water also meant that certain fish could be caught year round, as they would stick around instead of migrating or going dormant.  I think there were reports that all of this was bad for oysters and clams and frogs near the plant.

There were also incidents of tritium leaking into the groundwater.

Nuclear is such a poor proposition nowadays.
There's no safe way to store spent fuel rods.  So there's radioactive waste piled up all over the US (and the world).
Fukushima showed what danger there is in something as simple as the power going out and backup generators unable to work (due to flooding in that case).  If you can't pump in lots of water things can overheat disastrously.

Natural gas is cheap.  But solar and wind are competitive and are clearly the future.  Non-polluting, renewable, and going to continue to get cheaper.  That's another thing Dems should be doing -- talking up wind and solar as much as possible.  And electric vehicles.  These are clearly the future.  The goal should not just be less pollution, but also developing new industries which will and already do employ many people.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: September 18, 2018, 12:15:49 PM »

I expect there will be at least 3 accusers by Monday with 20 years or more between Kavanaugh’s attack Dr. Ford and the most recent sex crime that gets brought to light.

Does his nomination ultimately wind up with him being sterilized instead of being confirmed?
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: September 18, 2018, 12:35:26 PM »

Her lawyer is calling it attempted rape.
Saying that he was too inebriated to be successful.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

oilcan

« Reply #2710 on: September 18, 2018, 12:41:25 PM »

Doesn't pinning someone down on a bed, gagging them with your hand, and trying to remove all their clothes, constitute attempted rape??  What would you call it if some guy did that to your daughter?  I have a feeling you wouldn't be shrugging and saying youthful pecadillos la di da.

Attempted rape is a form of sexual assault - correct me if I'm wrong, Melba lawyers.

As for Maher, I do agree with the part about "shaming without governing" vs. "governing without shame."  Again, that's why I think Biden would have won, had he run in 2016.  He has a coherent and positive idea of governance. 

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: September 18, 2018, 12:42:31 PM »

There is a rumor round 2 was during his clerkship and that his victim has been contemplating coming forward for some time.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: September 18, 2018, 01:07:51 PM »

Latest is that Ms Ford and her advisors have not yet agreed to attend the session Monday.

barton

« Reply #2713 on: September 18, 2018, 01:15:46 PM »

Her lawyer is calling it attempted rape.
Saying that he was too inebriated to be successful.

Things are so charged with partisan strife right now that I truly don't know what to think, but I do know there's something really wrong when the admin doesn't have the FBI look into this.  George HW at least got that ball in motion during the Anita Hill thing.  If Ford's allegation is true, then he wasn't too inebriated to trap her in a room, make sure her scream would be muffled, and pin her down and commence attempts at ripping off clothes.  The "attempted" part, in that case, would only be due to the intervention of whoever "jumped on" them and broke it up.  So this would be a pretty serious case of sexual assault, "successful" or not. 

As for Bill Maher, fuck him.  If taking a woman's report of attempted rape seriously makes any defined partisan group look "bad," then I wanna be bad. 

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: September 18, 2018, 01:25:07 PM »

Doesn't pinning someone down on a bed, gagging them with your hand, and trying to remove all their clothes, constitute attempted rape??  What would you call it if some guy did that to your daughter?  I have a feeling you wouldn't be shrugging and saying youthful pecadillos la di da.

Attempted rape is a form of sexual assault - correct me if I'm wrong, Melba lawyers.

As for Maher, I do agree with the part about "shaming without governing" vs. "governing without shame."  Again, that's why I think Biden would have won, had he run in 2016.  He has a coherent and positive idea of governance.

I think we need a much more detailed account from Ms Ford.  We are told the LETTER has the more detailed description of what (may have) occurred.

Rape and attempted rape have to involve intercourse - at least in Maryland.

Sounds like this could have been attempted  sexual assault.
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 4288