Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1595961 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #2715 on: September 18, 2018, 01:27:00 PM »

Her lawyer is calling it attempted rape.
Saying that he was too inebriated to be successful.

Things are so charged with partisan strife right now that I truly don't know what to think, but I do know there's something really wrong when the admin doesn't have the FBI look into this.  George HW at least got that ball in motion during the Anita Hill thing.  If Ford's allegation is true, then he wasn't too inebriated to trap her in a room, make sure her scream would be muffled, and pin her down and commence attempts at ripping off clothes.  The "attempted" part, in that case, would only be due to the intervention of whoever "jumped on" them and broke it up.  So this would be a pretty serious case of sexual assault, "successful" or not. 

As for Bill Maher, fuck him.  If taking a woman's report of attempted rape seriously makes any defined partisan group look "bad," then I wanna be bad.

And a circus ensued.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: September 18, 2018, 01:27:16 PM »

As for Maher, I do agree with the part about "shaming without governing" vs. "governing without shame."  Again, that's why I think Biden would have won, had he run in 2016.  He has a coherent and positive idea of governance.

Clinton's weakness in 2016 was not that she did not have a coherent and positive idea of governance.  And I have to wonder how anyone who contrasts Republican led governments with ones led by Democrats could conclude that somehow Democrats have less interest in governing.  Thats pretty dumb. 

And look at the 2018 campaigns...Democrats are running for the ACA, against Trump's Tax Cuts, and against the cuts to lower and middle class spending those cuts will demand.  Republicans are all culture wars.   

Dems really have this tendency to self-flagulate, creating the false impression of balance between the two parties.  Republicans are open about looking out for the interests of white people, yet Democrats should not speak out against the resulting marginalization of minorities...no.  Conceding that ground is actually the opposite of responsible governance.

"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: September 18, 2018, 01:27:45 PM »

Her lawyer is calling it attempted rape.
Saying that he was too inebriated to be successful.

Things are so charged with partisan strife right now that I truly don't know what to think, but I do know there's something really wrong when the admin doesn't have the FBI look into this.  George HW at least got that ball in motion during the Anita Hill thing.  If Ford's allegation is true, then he wasn't too inebriated to trap her in a room, make sure her scream would be muffled, and pin her down and commence attempts at ripping off clothes.  The "attempted" part, in that case, would only be due to the intervention of whoever "jumped on" them and broke it up.  So this would be a pretty serious case of sexual assault, "successful" or not. 

As for Bill Maher, fuck him.  If taking a woman's report of attempted rape seriously makes any defined partisan group look "bad," then I wanna be bad.

And a circus ensued.

A "circus" that would have had a very different outcome if it occurred today.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: September 18, 2018, 01:28:57 PM »

Rape and attempted rape have to involve intercourse - at least in Maryland.

You'll need to expand on what you are saying here.  If the attempted rape "involved intercourse" then it isn't attempted, is it.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: September 18, 2018, 01:35:01 PM »

Correct.

This "locker room talk" and its equivalent bullshit is infuriating.  Never heard anyone talk about grabbing pussy in a locker room, and attempted rape is not normal high school hijinks that should be dismissed because it happened so long ago.

A guy (whatever his age) holding down a girl, trying to rip off her clothing, and covering her mouth and turning up music to muffle the screams for help is fucking sick.  And I would in no way assume that its true that the 30 year old behavior in no way says something inherent about his character and is therefore irrelevant to the current judge.

If the allegation is true its disqualifying.  Bill Maher's position here is ridiculous.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: September 18, 2018, 01:35:22 PM »

As for Maher, I do agree with the part about "shaming without governing" vs. "governing without shame."  Again, that's why I think Biden would have won, had he run in 2016.  He has a coherent and positive idea of governance.

Clinton's weakness in 2016 was not that she did not have a coherent and positive idea of governance.  And I have to wonder how anyone who contrasts Republican led governments with ones led by Democrats could conclude that somehow Democrats have less interest in governing.  Thats pretty dumb. 

And look at the 2018 campaigns...Democrats are running for the ACA, against Trump's Tax Cuts, and against the cuts to lower and middle class spending those cuts will demand.  Republicans are all culture wars.   

Dems really have this tendency to self-flagulate, creating the false impression of balance between the two parties.  Republicans are open about looking out for the interests of white people, yet Democrats should not speak out against the resulting marginalization of minorities...no.  Conceding that ground is actually the opposite of responsible governance.

yeah....... I think you'd be wise to stay away from running against the tax cuts.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: September 18, 2018, 01:37:22 PM »

yeah....... I think you'd be wise to stay away from running against the tax cuts.

I'm not running for office.

And if what you say is true, that running against unpopular tax cuts is not a good strategy for getting elected, then why are Republicans not running on the tax cuts?

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: September 18, 2018, 01:54:06 PM »

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: September 18, 2018, 02:00:10 PM »

It is time to seal the borders, not to immigrants but to illegal foreign money. We must seize those shady assets and detain them indefinitely. They are the immediate threat to our security and to our democracy. Failing to act, we see our way of life ruined in the spin cycle of the Trump money laundry. This bag man for dictators and thugs is fueled by a leak in the fence that is letting blood money rule our nation. One undocumented farm worker is worth more to the United States than all the filthy rubles keeping Donald Trump afloat.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 02:12:16 PM by facilitatorn »
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: September 18, 2018, 02:24:57 PM »

You'll need to expand on what you are saying here.  If the attempted rape "involved intercourse" then it isn't attempted, is it.

Said it exactly as I meant

Had to have the intent of intercourse.  Or it could not be considered he was attempting it.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: September 18, 2018, 02:34:17 PM »

Had to have the intent of intercourse.  Or it could not be considered he was attempting it.

That may have been what you meant but it isn't what you said.  What you said is that attempted rape involved intercourse.

Now the question to you is, what is there in the incident as relayed by the alleged victim that can tell us that intercourse was not the intent?

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: September 18, 2018, 02:48:57 PM »

It does involve intercourse.

The attempt to engage in intercourse.

Its right there in MD code.

Anything lesser is attempted sexual assault - and still carries up to 10 years, rather than max 20.

I think if she does testify, which I am highly doubting at this point, the question of "did he whip it out?" might come to the forefront.  I could see Ms Harris - who seems to be collecting much desired minutes from other senators - framing that nicely - heh.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 03:21:54 PM by kiidcarter8 »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #2727 on: September 18, 2018, 02:57:29 PM »

Bullshit!
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: September 18, 2018, 02:58:47 PM »

You may want.to check the poll numbers on that. There is a reason Repos rarely mention it in their campaigns.

As far as I can tell McSorley is running on a platform of Sinema protested the Iraq war in 2003 wearing a pink tutu. McSorley's tax vote has not come up at all.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

barton

« Reply #2729 on: September 18, 2018, 03:05:06 PM »

A man pins a woman down on a bed,  clamps his hand over her mouth, and tries to remove her clothes -- what on God's green earth do you think he was intending,  the administration of lotions for possible dermatitis?   The annual asymmetric mole inspection?   If the allegations are credible,  I don't think we need to establish "whipping it out" to disqualify him as a justice on Scotus. 

That said,  without some corroboration from someone else at the party,  we're in he-said,  she-said territory and people will mostly believe in accordance with their ideology. 
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 4288