Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1599248 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #2745 on: September 18, 2018, 05:34:03 PM »

So....

what do we all think?

Is Kavanaugh toast?

I didn't think so. I was pretty sure that the combination of lack of witnesses to support her story and his having the supposed nd guy there say no such thing happened ever - not even anything consensual with this woman - was going to take care of it for him.

Then I read this:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/17/politics/mark-judge-brett-kavanaugh-high-school/index.html

Judge wrote the book "Wasted: Tales of a Gen X Drunk," where he details his experiences of extensive drinking while attending Georgetown Preparatory School.

Judge writes that he is "shocked" about what he got away with in high school -- recalling beach parties that hundreds of people would attend.

At another point he describes his high school as "positively swimming in alcohol."

Judge also references a "Bart O'Kavanaugh," who he writes vomited in someone's car. It has not been confirmed whether this is a reference to Kavanaugh.

And this:
In 2015, Judge writes in Splice Today about what he calls "damseling," which he describes as "making a woman a passive damsel in distress who needs rescuing."

"Of course, a man must be able to read a woman's signals, and it's a good thing that feminism is teaching young men that no means no and yes means yes. But there's also that ambiguous middle ground, where the woman seems interested and indicates, whether verbally or not, that the man needs to prove himself to her. And if that man is any kind of man, he'll allow himself to feel the awesome power, the wonderful beauty, of uncontrollable male passion," he wrote.

I think Kavanaugh is toast.

I think if they let Mark Judge speak to the Senate Judiciary Committee, he is burnt toast.

A blackout drunk who wrote that kind of stuff and was Kavanaugh's "alibi" and wingman? Burn toast with a picture of Elvis on it.

Could be

The yearbook sure doesnt work in his favor.

If a new appointee is needed we will see if Dems were being honest in their just worrying about Roe v Wade

Likely not.

They likely go after the new nominee just as hard.

Merrick Garland?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: September 18, 2018, 05:34:10 PM »

yeah, old news.

waitin on monday and if ms ford will follow thru

just 2 will be questioned, not sure why you thought the friend would be up

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: September 18, 2018, 05:35:42 PM »

So....

what do we all think?

Is Kavanaugh toast?

I didn't think so. I was pretty sure that the combination of lack of witnesses to support her story and his having the supposed nd guy there say no such thing happened ever - not even anything consensual with this woman - was going to take care of it for him.

Then I read this:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/17/politics/mark-judge-brett-kavanaugh-high-school/index.html

Judge wrote the book "Wasted: Tales of a Gen X Drunk," where he details his experiences of extensive drinking while attending Georgetown Preparatory School.

Judge writes that he is "shocked" about what he got away with in high school -- recalling beach parties that hundreds of people would attend.

At another point he describes his high school as "positively swimming in alcohol."

Judge also references a "Bart O'Kavanaugh," who he writes vomited in someone's car. It has not been confirmed whether this is a reference to Kavanaugh.

And this:
In 2015, Judge writes in Splice Today about what he calls "damseling," which he describes as "making a woman a passive damsel in distress who needs rescuing."

"Of course, a man must be able to read a woman's signals, and it's a good thing that feminism is teaching young men that no means no and yes means yes. But there's also that ambiguous middle ground, where the woman seems interested and indicates, whether verbally or not, that the man needs to prove himself to her. And if that man is any kind of man, he'll allow himself to feel the awesome power, the wonderful beauty, of uncontrollable male passion," he wrote.

I think if they let Mark Judge speak to the Senate Judiciary Committee, he is burnt toast.

A blackout drunk who wrote that kind of stuff and was Kavanaugh's "alibi" and wingman? Burn toast with a picture of Elvis on it.

Could be

If a new appointee is needed we will see if Dems were being honest in their just worrying about Roe v Wade

Likely not.

Merrick Garland?

Guiliani

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #2748 on: September 18, 2018, 05:41:56 PM »

Probably why Judge has informed the Committee that he won't testify.

And now I see the committee vote on Thursday has been canceled.

They don’t have the votes to get him through the committee or they would bring him to the full senate.

Each day they don’t vote on this guy is BAD for the GOP and if they hold a hearing and don’t keep Hatch and Cornyn in check it’ll motivate more white women to make up for voting Trump after he said he would only appoint judges who will overturn Roe.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #2749 on: September 18, 2018, 05:43:56 PM »

So....

what do we all think?

Is Kavanaugh toast?

Then I read this:

And this:

Could be

Likely not.

Merrick Garland?

Guiliani

Oh, Prunella!

Giuliani has turned himself into a caricature!

You’re joking, right?

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: September 18, 2018, 05:46:03 PM »

yeah, old news.

Because if I were the Senate Judiciary Committee and I were not going to have an FBI investigation, then I would want the only witness that the Ford says was there present to testify.

Wouldn't you think so, too? Doesn't it potentially get it out of the realm of he said/she said?

Mind you, his saying he doesn't remember it has very little credibility at this point, based on his own words.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: September 18, 2018, 05:48:51 PM »

So....

what do we all think?

Is Kavanaugh toast?

Then I read this:

And this:

Could be

Likely not.

Merrick Garland?

Guiliani

Oh, I would love to see a Giuliani nomination!

I think he's despicable with how he lied to the first responders about the toxic air around the Towers, but he's 74... and the hearings could be sooooooo much fun!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: September 18, 2018, 05:50:50 PM »

and she was 15.
The reaction from some conservatives was swift -- and appealed directly to male fears and male interests. A lawyer close to the White House, speaking anonymously to Politico, said that the nomination would not be withdrawn because "If somebody can be brought down by accusations like this, then you, me, every man certainly should be worried. We can all be accused of something." Ari Fleischer, the former White House press secretary to George W. Bush, asked on Fox whether committing sexual assault in high school should "deny us chances later in life." Conservative blogger and radio host Erick W. Erickson declared on Twitter that "If the GOP does not stand up to this character assassination attempt on Kavanaugh, every judicial nominee moving forward is going to suffer last minute sexual assault allegations" -- as if sexual assault allegations are all simply some kind of plot against our boys.
Tom Nichols, a conservative professor at the US Naval War College and author of "The Death of Expertise," initially sided with Kavanaugh — and then, reconsidered. As he perceptively explained on Twitter: "Listen, I'm a middle-aged man seeing a middle-aged man get nuked w/accusations from high school. It put me in a defensive crouch."

Because every guy does this sort of thing.

Got it.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: September 18, 2018, 05:53:36 PM »

Probably why Judge has informed the Committee that he won't testify.

And now I see the committee vote on Thursday has been canceled.

They don’t have the votes to get him through the committee or they would bring him to the full senate.

Each day they don’t vote on this guy is BAD for the GOP and if they hold a hearing and don’t keep Hatch and Cornyn in check it’ll motivate more white women to make up for voting Trump after he said he would only appoint judges who will overturn Roe.

I am sure you will watch the proceedings (or video - or get some of the transcript) and have an opinion AFTERWARD, as will we all.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: September 18, 2018, 05:55:16 PM »

and she was 15.
The reaction from some conservatives was swift -- and appealed directly to male fears and male interests. A lawyer close to the White House, speaking anonymously to Politico, said that the nomination would not be withdrawn because "If somebody can be brought down by accusations like this, then you, me, every man certainly should be worried. We can all be accused of something." Ari Fleischer, the former White House press secretary to George W. Bush, asked on Fox whether committing sexual assault in high school should "deny us chances later in life." Conservative blogger and radio host Erick W. Erickson declared on Twitter that "If the GOP does not stand up to this character assassination attempt on Kavanaugh, every judicial nominee moving forward is going to suffer last minute sexual assault allegations" -- as if sexual assault allegations are all simply some kind of plot against our boys.
Tom Nichols, a conservative professor at the US Naval War College and author of "The Death of Expertise," initially sided with Kavanaugh — and then, reconsidered. As he perceptively explained on Twitter: "Listen, I'm a middle-aged man seeing a middle-aged man get nuked w/accusations from high school. It put me in a defensive crouch."

Because every guy does this sort of thing.

Got it.

Of course the GOP is standing up to it.

And of course there could be defections.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: September 18, 2018, 05:58:49 PM »

yeah, old news.

Because if I were the Senate Judiciary Committee and I were not going to have an FBI investigation, then I would want the only witness that the Ford says was there present to testify.

Wouldn't you think so, too? Doesn't it potentially get it out of the realm of he said/she said?

Mind you, his saying he doesn't remember it has very little credibility at this point, based on his own words.

Nah, man

Just see what transpires with the "he said, she said"

Funny things can happen - and we avoid the circus

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: September 18, 2018, 06:01:25 PM »

I can picture the GOP extremists burning their "Seinfeld" DVDs, now.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/julia-louis-dreyfus-went-christine-180800739.html

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: September 18, 2018, 06:02:13 PM »

So....

what do we all think?

Is Kavanaugh toast?

Then I read this:

And this:

Could be

Likely not.

The "new nominee" will more than likely look just as unfavorably at Roe v. Wade.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: September 18, 2018, 06:04:21 PM »

So....

what do we all think?

Is Kavanaugh toast?

Then I read this:

And this:

Could be

Likely not.

The "new nominee" will more than likely look just as unfavorably at Roe v. Wade.

The Heritage Foundation has a deep bench of women haters.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #2759 on: September 18, 2018, 06:15:08 PM »

Nunes has been at the forefront of driving Trump’s defense against the Russia investigation. That defense has centered on a single issue: that the FBI and Department of Justice acted in an inappropriate or corrupt way to try to undermine Trump’s presidential campaign. The text messages and new declassifications have a single obvious goal: bolster that case by any means possible.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/09/18/devin-nunes-explains-antifa-all-these-riots-because-were-winning/

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 4288