Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1583697 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #2775 on: September 18, 2018, 07:46:26 PM »

So....

what do we all think?

Is Kavanaugh toast?

I didn't think so. I was pretty sure that the combination of lack of witnesses to support her story and his having the supposed nd guy there say no such thing happened ever - not even anything consensual with this woman - was going to take care of it for him.

Then I read this:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/17/politics/mark-judge-brett-kavanaugh-high-school/index.html

Judge wrote the book "Wasted: Tales of a Gen X Drunk," where he details his experiences of extensive drinking while attending Georgetown Preparatory School.

Judge writes that he is "shocked" about what he got away with in high school -- recalling beach parties that hundreds of people would attend.

At another point he describes his high school as "positively swimming in alcohol."

Judge also references a "Bart O'Kavanaugh," who he writes vomited in someone's car. It has not been confirmed whether this is a reference to Kavanaugh.

And this:
In 2015, Judge writes in Splice Today about what he calls "damseling," which he describes as "making a woman a passive damsel in distress who needs rescuing."

"Of course, a man must be able to read a woman's signals, and it's a good thing that feminism is teaching young men that no means no and yes means yes. But there's also that ambiguous middle ground, where the woman seems interested and indicates, whether verbally or not, that the man needs to prove himself to her. And if that man is any kind of man, he'll allow himself to feel the awesome power, the wonderful beauty, of uncontrollable male passion," he wrote.

I think Kavanaugh is toast.

I think if they let Mark Judge speak to the Senate Judiciary Committee, he is burnt toast.

A blackout drunk who wrote that kind of stuff and was Kavanaugh's "alibi" and wingman? Burn toast with a picture of Elvis on it.

Could be

The yearbook sure doesnt work in his favor.

If a new appointee is needed we will see if Dems were being honest in their just worrying about Roe v Wade

Likely not.

They likely go after the new nominee just as hard.
The "new nominee" will more than likely look just as unfavorably at Roe v. Wade.

heh

In your eyes? I am sure
Heh? Do you actually believe that Trump would choose somebody not dedicated to getting rid of Roe v. Wade?

Yep.

Not saying it wouldnt happen.  Folks that lobby for stuff can be powerful.  And it IS - I will give you that -  an issue with a close split.

But no - not as a means to an end.  Kavanaugh isnt that either.

barton

« Reply #2776 on: September 18, 2018, 07:51:01 PM »

I hope your party continues to use those implied air quotes in discussing the situation. You are already underwater with suburban women. Wonder how low that number can go.   

The air quotes and the "only one complainant."  Wow.   I'm really going to enjoy "Bart" getting grilled on Monday.   

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: September 18, 2018, 08:03:13 PM »

So....

what do we all think?

Is Kavanaugh toast?

I didn't think so. I was pretty sure that the combination of lack of witnesses to support her story and his having the supposed nd guy there say no such thing happened ever - not even anything consensual with this woman - was going to take care of it for him.

Then I read this:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/17/politics/mark-judge-brett-kavanaugh-high-school/index.html

Judge wrote the book "Wasted: Tales of a Gen X Drunk," where he details his experiences of extensive drinking while attending Georgetown Preparatory School.

Judge writes that he is "shocked" about what he got away with in high school -- recalling beach parties that hundreds of people would attend.

At another point he describes his high school as "positively swimming in alcohol."

Judge also references a "Bart O'Kavanaugh," who he writes vomited in someone's car. It has not been confirmed whether this is a reference to Kavanaugh.

And this:
In 2015, Judge writes in Splice Today about what he calls "damseling," which he describes as "making a woman a passive damsel in distress who needs rescuing."

"Of course, a man must be able to read a woman's signals, and it's a good thing that feminism is teaching young men that no means no and yes means yes. But there's also that ambiguous middle ground, where the woman seems interested and indicates, whether verbally or not, that the man needs to prove himself to her. And if that man is any kind of man, he'll allow himself to feel the awesome power, the wonderful beauty, of uncontrollable male passion," he wrote.

I think if they let Mark Judge speak to the Senate Judiciary Committee, he is burnt toast.

A blackout drunk who wrote that kind of stuff and was Kavanaugh's "alibi" and wingman? Burn toast with a picture of Elvis on it.

Could be

If a new appointee is needed we will see if Dems were being honest in their just worrying about Roe v Wade

Likely not.

The "new nominee" will more than likely look just as unfavorably at Roe v. Wade.

heh

In your eyes? I am sure
Heh? Do you actually believe that Trump would choose somebody not dedicated to getting rid of Roe v. Wade?

Yep.

Not saying it wouldnt happen.  Folks that lobby for stuff can be powerful.  And it IS - I will give you that -  an issue with a close split.

Given his prior rulings in the topic, I don't know how you came to that conclusion.

Yeah, it's your party's talking points, but that's all it is.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: September 18, 2018, 08:18:47 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/18/politics/ford-letter-fbi/index.html

In a letter addressed to Senate Judiciary Chairman Chuck Grassley of Iowa, and obtained by CNN's "Anderson Cooper 360," Christine Blasey Ford's attorneys argue that "a full investigation by law enforcement officials will ensure that the crucial facts and witnesses in this matter are assessed in a non-partisan manner, and that the Committee is fully informed before conducting any hearing or making any decisions."

The letter from Ford's lawyers notes that despite receiving a "stunning amount of support from her community," Ford has also "been the target of vicious harassment and even death threats" and has been forced to leave her home.

"We would welcome the opportunity to talk with you and Ranking Member Feinstein to discuss reasonable steps as to how Dr. Ford can cooperate while also taking care of her own health and security," the letter from Ford's lawyers said.

"What we're saying is there should be an investigation because that's the right thing to do," Ford's attorney Lisa Banks told Cooper.

Granting Kiid's and Red's GOP talking points that there would be nothing for the FBI to find, just for the sake of the discussion, what would the loss be were the FBI allowed to actually do the investigation?

What's the risk?

Only one, for the GOP: That they find something.

And that is what the GOP and President Trump fear.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: September 18, 2018, 08:25:59 PM »

So....

what do we all think?

Is Kavanaugh toast?

Then I read this:

And this:

Could be

Likely not.

heh

In your eyes? I am sure

Yep.

I have no idea what this means so I guess you're right.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: September 18, 2018, 08:48:06 PM »

Her lawyer is calling it attempted rape.
Saying that he was too inebriated to be successful.
Things are so charged with partisan strife right now that I truly don't know what to think, but I do know there's something really wrong when the admin doesn't have the FBI look into this.     

The FBI is not an investigative body into alleged state crimes that were never reported. They do, however, vet Supreme Court nominees. As you know.
Of course. Which has nothing to do with investigating reported crimes of rape.
As you know
What is the FBI supposed to “ investigate” 36 years after a “ event” that has only one complainant?
Well there are two parties, a witness, and notes.indicating Ford talked to her therapist in detail about the event six years before any motivation to fabricate arose. Tbat would be a starting point.
Notes? Notes from whom?
We have an account from one person with scant details strongly denied by her alleged “ attacker” and a third party who says there was no such “ event”.  The only “ corroborating “ evidence comes from the alleged “ victim” contained in notes by a marriage counselor dictated by the “ victim”.
You act as if investigations into similar circumstances are not routine. They are. It is not a question of he said/ She said, but of using normal methods of determining credibility.  Like discussing the matter with someone when there was no motive to fabricate.
I hope your party continues to use those implied air quotes in discussing the situation. You are already underwater with suburban women. Wonder how low that number can go.
As we just learned Mrs. Ford won’t testify next week until an FBI investigation is completed.
Her intentions are now clear. Delay Kavanaugh a seat on SCOTUS until after the mid-terms.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 08:52:10 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: September 18, 2018, 09:05:58 PM »

Things are so charged with partisan strife right now that I truly don't know what to think, but I do know there's something really wrong when the admin doesn't have the FBI look into this.     

The FBI is not an investigative body into alleged state crimes that were never reported. They do, however, vet Supreme Court nominees. As you know.
As you know
What is the FBI supposed to “ investigate” 36 years after a “ event” that has only one complainant?
Well there are two parties, a witness, and notes.indicating Ford talked to her therapist in detail about the event six years before any motivation to fabricate arose. Tbat would be a starting point.
Notes? Notes from whom?
We have an account from one person with scant details strongly denied by her alleged “ attacker” and a third party who says there was no such “ event”.  The only “ corroborating “ evidence comes from the alleged “ victim” contained in notes by a marriage counselor dictated by the “ victim”.
You act as if investigations into similar circumstances are not routine. They are. It is not a question of he said/ She said, but of using normal methods of determining credibility.  Like discussing the matter with someone when there was no motive to fabricate.
As we just learned Mrs. Ford won’t testify next week until an FBI investigation is completed.
Her intentions are now clear. Delay Kavanaugh a seat on SCOTUS until after the mid-terms.

Would have already been underway had the President okayed it and the vote done before midterms.

His intentions are now clear. Protect Kavanaugh.

Your intentions are equally clear. Misrepresent things any way you can.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #2782 on: September 18, 2018, 09:10:20 PM »

As you know
Notes? Notes from whom?

Nah, her intentions are to have the investigation go forward before she goes before the committee so Orin Hatch doesn’t act the fool at her hearing.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: September 18, 2018, 09:13:49 PM »

Diane Feinstein
I can’t say everything is truthful

Debra Katz, the attorney for the woman accusing Brett Kavanaugh of sexual assault:
is not her client’s job to corroborate her claims.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 09:16:53 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: September 18, 2018, 09:15:16 PM »

Diane Feinstein:
(I)
 (/i)
Debra Katz, the attorney for the woman accusing Brett Kavanaugh of sexual assault:
( i )it is not her client’s job to corroborate her claims.(/i)

Poor Red.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #2785 on: September 18, 2018, 09:19:32 PM »

Diane Feinstein

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: September 18, 2018, 09:22:36 PM »

It sounds like the FBI should be investigating Georgetown Prep and that publicly held companies should be investigating any alumni they employ.

This country will be so much better governed when republican support finishes its glide down to the mid-teens. Red and Kid are showing the way and republican misrepresentatives are picking up the banner causing all sane people to spit on them, punch them in the face, or simply turn their backs and cross the street.

Stonewalling investigations into important facts, graft on the public dime, gross general incompetence, gross general grossness, and elevating dick heads - even stumpy mushroom ones. There you have it folks, the GOP in 2018
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: September 18, 2018, 09:25:02 PM »

In the case of an emergency such as a hurricane, some good items to send are cans of Chef Boyardee Beef Ravioli, and Kellogg's Pop Tarts. You can live on that. Oh, and also cans of Dinty Moore Beef Stew.

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 10:08:19 PM by FlyingVProd »

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: September 18, 2018, 09:51:19 PM »

Diane Feinstein

LOL
I thought you were supposed to know politics.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #2789 on: September 18, 2018, 10:10:08 PM »

Diane Feinstein

LOL
I thought you were supposed to know politics.

You do know Dr. Ford and her counsel are now running this show. Chuck Grassley doesn’t know what is going on and neither do you.

"Asking her to come forward in four or five days and sit before the Judiciary Committee on national TV is not a fair process. If they care about doing the right thing here and treating this seriously as they have said, then they will do the right thing and they will properly investigate this, and she will work with them in that investigation and also to share her story with the committee," Banks said Tuesday night.”

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 4288