Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1584987 times)

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #2925 on: September 20, 2018, 01:03:14 PM »

The pleas are, in part, an attempt to apply political pressure: Some evangelical leaders are warning that religious conservatives may feel little motivation to vote in the midterm elections unless Senate Republicans move the nomination out of committee soon and do more to defend Judge Kavanaugh from what they say is a desperate Democratic ploy to prevent President Trump from filling future court vacancies.

“One of the political costs of failing to confirm Brett Kavanaugh is likely the loss of the United States Senate,” said Ralph Reed, the founder of the Faith and Freedom Coalition who is in frequent contact with the White House.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/20/us/politics/brett-kavanaugh-religious-voters.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Obviously, due to their understanding that Kavanaugh believes that Roe V. Wade "cannot be overturned."

LOL.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: September 20, 2018, 01:15:31 PM »

Ginsberg believes Roe v Wade “ short circuited” the process of making abortion legal and took the decision to have an abortion away from women and gave it to doctors.
Her only agreement with Roe is that it declared a Texas Law unconstitutional. She has argued for years that SCOTUS went too far with Roe.

Each of the above sentences is false, and I have not hope of you ever admitting that here. 
Each of those statements is true and easily researched.
There is nothing in Ginsberg's history that indicates that she would overturn Roe v. Wade if given the opportunity, but is only being constrained by precedent. 
I never argued otherwise.

No, an agreement that Roe v Wade cannot be overturned.

There is no reason to assume that Ginsberg and Kavanaugh see the binding power of Roe v. Wade the same way.  Kavanaugh has, at no point, said it "cannot be overturned." 
Those are my words you are quoting, not Kavanaughs. Like any law expert Kavanaugh knows that any precedent can be overturned by a future court. His testimony however indicates he understands the strength of Roe v Wade precedent. But it is the standard of each party to sow the seeds of fear that abortion somehow be the litmus test of all SCOTUS nominees.  Which is the point made when Ginsburg says Roe went too far.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 01:17:13 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: September 20, 2018, 01:21:53 PM »

Of course you did.  Your entire argument is that Ginsburg's beliefs on Roe demonstrate the constraining power of court precedent.  If you don't argue that she would otherwise overturn Roe, you have no argument.

Those are my words you are quoting, not Kavanaughs. Like any law expert Kavanaugh knows that any precedent can be overturned by a future court.

So contrary to your previous post, when you said Kavanaugh  believes "Roe v Wade cannot be overturned." you now say (correctly) he believes the opposite. 

Good.  Glad our discussion here has done some good.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: September 20, 2018, 01:23:17 PM »

You say it is false? How would you know?

LOL.

How would he know?

No one has talked with more people, of more different backgrounds?  Trump?

Kavanaugh certainly is no stranger to the workings of the White House vis a vis SCOTUS.

LOL.

No president....  Kavanaugh has been privy to the workings of the White House for over 200 years?
You mean there are no law books, history books, nor other forms of research writings like the Library of Congress, the SCOTUS Library, the National Archives, Presidential Libraries, etc. that a potential Supreme Court Justice would not spend a lot of time studying the history of the Court and the Presidency?
Really?

LOL!

Even if those "law books" compared the number of people consulted and the backgrounds of each of those people that were consulted in each and every SCOTUS nomination (and of course, they do not) Kavanaugh is certainly not as privy to that process when it came to his own nomination.

And even if you believe that somehow Kavanaugh after exhaustive research that would take years is in possession of the  information he would need to have to make that statement, if you really believe that it would be true of any process headed up by Donald Trump you are hopeless.
Exhaustive research?  What are you talking about? It would hardly take exhaustive research by a Justice’s staff and law clerks to perform.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #2929 on: September 20, 2018, 01:24:26 PM »

No. You didn't. You just think you did.

Your perception has been tainted by the assumptions you've made, and the lies and distortions you've both created and been fed.

So, run along and play your role.

Everything I need to know about you is in what you post.

Whatever you say, Larry.

Because rating anyone here by what they post is like judging a fine wine by it's label, only.

Ciao, chump.

Um, I’m supposed to “know” you by what you DON’T write?

What, I’m supposed to uncork you and let you breathe before I discover what I already know, you’re rancid vinegar?

Get the fuck out of here with that nonsense!

The point is, dim one, you don't truly know anyone here, anymore than you know George Will or Maureen Dowd or Bret Stephens.

You're delusional, if you think otherwise.

Well, I did have a nice conversation over cocktails some years back with George Will and C. Boydon Gray at Cleta Mitchell’s House... that would have been in early aughts.

If what you post is not what you truly think or believe than I am positive I know your one most important attribute, you’re totally full of shit.

Sure, Larry. You turn every conversation into a referendum on black history, no matter the case, then spin it to talking ALL ABOUT YOU, and other people are the ones who are "full of shit".

Fuck off, loser.

From primary grades we are taught to “write what you know.”

I know a fair amount of history and that knowledge informs my opinions which are also formed by my experiences.

You say what you write does not reflect the real you. Therefore you’re so full of shit 5he whites of your eyes are brown.

Go suck your thumb.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: September 20, 2018, 01:34:14 PM »

Of course you did.  Your entire argument is that Ginsburg's beliefs on Roe demonstrate the constraining power of court precedent.  If you don't argue that she would otherwise overturn Roe, you have no argument.

Those are my words you are quoting, not Kavanaughs. Like any law expert Kavanaugh knows that any precedent can be overturned by a future court.

So contrary to your previous post, when you said Kavanaugh  believes "Roe v Wade cannot be overturned." you now say (incorrectly) he believes the opposite.
FIFY
If you prefer to debate by changing my statements I’ll just sit back and watch.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: September 20, 2018, 01:36:15 PM »

Exhaustive research?  What are you talking about? It would hardly take exhaustive research by a Justice’s staff and law clerks to perform.

Yes.  For his statement to be true Kavanaugh would have had to task his staff and law clerks to research over 200 years of Supreme Court nominations, tally up the total number of consultations on those nominations (assuming such a thing is even recorded), research the “backgrounds” of each of the people consulted (however that is defined, and again assuming that information is recorded somewhere) , and then rank them by the “diversity” of said backgrounds.  He and his staff then compared those numbers to Trump’s process for finding a nominee and were able to because they were somehow privy even to those consultations that did not recommend  him.  And then it would have to also be true, despite everything we know about the man, that Trump’s process proved to be more exhaustive than that of any president over those 200 years.

Or Kavanaugh just pulled that statement out of his ass to please Trump, and you won’t admit the obvious because you are a partisan douche who will make any argument no matter how absurd if it supports the Republican position.

I know which way I am going on this.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 01:39:20 PM by NeedsAdjustments »

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: September 20, 2018, 01:38:16 PM »

So contrary to your previous post, when you said Kavanaugh  believes "Roe v Wade cannot be overturned." you now say (incorrectly) he believes the opposite.
FIFY

I didn't change any of your statements.  You said that Kavanaugh believes Roe cannot be overturned.  Then you said of course he believes it can be overturned.

And no thanks, I won't hang out to watch you pretend there was no obvious contradiction in what you posted.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: September 20, 2018, 01:54:29 PM »

Your perception has been tainted by the assumptions you've made, and the lies and distortions you've both created and been fed.

Whatever you say, Larry.

Because rating anyone here by what they post is like judging a fine wine by it's label, only.

Ciao, chump.

What, I’m supposed to uncork you and let you breathe before I discover what I already know, you’re rancid vinegar?

The point is, dim one, you don't truly know anyone here, anymore than you know George Will or Maureen Dowd or Bret Stephens.

Well, I did have a nice conversation over cocktails some years back with George Will and C. Boydon Gray at Cleta Mitchell’s House... that would have been in early aughts.

If what you post is not what you truly think or believe than I am positive I know your one most important attribute, you’re totally full of shit.

Sure, Larry. You turn every conversation into a referendum on black history, no matter the case, then spin it to talking ALL ABOUT YOU, and other people are the ones who are "full of shit".

Fuck off, loser.

I know a fair amount of history and that knowledge informs my opinions which are also formed by my experiences.

You say what you write does not reflect the real you. Therefore you’re so full of shit 5he whites of your eyes are brown.

Go suck your thumb.

You've willfully misinterpreted again.

If only you could manage to keep opposing points of view in mind, without accepting either one as the whole truth.

Since primary school, at least, it appears that you have yet to learn how to do so. Which makes you very much the partisan,  paranoid, pedantic Putz you've become.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: September 20, 2018, 02:02:20 PM »

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: September 20, 2018, 02:14:32 PM »

FIFY

I didn't change any of your statements.  You said that Kavanaugh believes Roe cannot be overturned.  Then you said of course he believes it can be overturned.

And no thanks, I won't hang out to watch you pretend there was no obvious contradiction in what you posted.
LOL.
Do you even read news coverage?

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #2936 on: September 20, 2018, 02:19:02 PM »

Whatever you say, Larry.

Ciao, chump.

Fuck off, loser.

Go suck your thumb.

You've willfully misinterpreted again.

If only you could manage to keep opposing points of view in mind, without accepting either one as the whole truth.

Since primary school, at least, it appears that you have yet to learn how to do so. Which makes you very much the partisan,  paranoid, pedantic Putz you've become.
Good. But not quite,

Watch me paste this pathetic palooka with a powerful paralyzing perfect pachyderms percussion pitch.

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: September 20, 2018, 02:32:35 PM »

In an emailed statement, Chua told the Guardian: “For the more than 10 years I’ve known him, Judge Kavanaugh’s first and only litmus test in hiring has been excellence. He hires only the most qualified clerks, and they have been diverse as well as exceptionally talented and capable.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: September 20, 2018, 03:26:26 PM »

Yes.  For his statement to be true Kavanaugh would have had to task his staff and law clerks to research over 200 years of Supreme Court nominations, tally up the total number of consultations on those nominations (assuming such a thing is even recorded), research the “backgrounds” of each of the people consulted (however that is defined, and again assuming that information is recorded somewhere) , and then rank them by the “diversity” of said backgrounds.  He and his staff then compared those numbers to Trump’s process for finding a nominee and were able to because they were somehow privy even to those consultations that did not recommend  him.  And then it would have to also be true, despite everything we know about the man, that Trump’s process proved to be more exhaustive than that of any president over those 200 years.

Or Kavanaugh just pulled that statement out of his ass to please Trump, and you won’t admit the obvious because you are a partisan douche who will make any argument no matter how absurd if it supports the Republican position.

I’ll let you keep your place in the gutter. You clearly are experienced down there.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: September 20, 2018, 03:30:25 PM »

I’ll let you keep your place in the gutter. You clearly are experienced down there.
Red never concerned himself much with gutters when he referred to certain members of Congress as "socialist cocksuckers."
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 4288