Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1584412 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #3090 on: September 23, 2018, 12:33:30 PM »

Welp!

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2378023118801096

Hi, Larry -

The charts show weighting with a range from 1 to 2. I'll confess to not understanding how that translates into anything I already know. I can see the steel rise in "gotten more than they deserve, for example, but as I don't know what a 1 means, I certainly don't know what a 2 means.

Do you have an understanding of this?

If not, I can do more digging, but if so it would make our lives easier and give other readers who are even less proficient at math and stats than I am a fighting chance of pretending to disagree with its findings!

Thanks!

I'd also note that the graphs shift from an every 2 year measure from 1986 - 1994 to a 4 year measure from 2000 - 2016, with nothingfor 1996 or 1998 at all. That makes the rises to the right of these charts look steeper than they would be if they were elongated by the same intermediate periods that the left side is at.

I don't expect you to know what's with that, but it looks as if I am going to have to write to these people to understand what they are doing! I had misleading graphs with a passion, even (especially!) when they support information I already suspected! It makes it easier to dismiss what they have to say and undermine the entire discussion!

Grrrr!

Hell, they’re going to disagree with the findings anyway.  But no, I’d have to see the methodology for charting the research written out before I could make an opinion that wasn’t bullshit.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 12:50:29 PM by LarryBnDC usetab Knicks12 »
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #3091 on: September 23, 2018, 12:40:08 PM »

Larry, is the piece from your son's classmate online somewhere, so I can share it with some folks out there who might care?

Josh,

Please feel free to share it anywhere...

https://exjournalistsunite.wordpress.com/2018/09/23/brett-kavanaugh-and-the-rape-culture-of-d-c-s-all-male-prep-schools/
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3092 on: September 23, 2018, 12:48:39 PM »

Welp!

Hi, Larry -

The charts show weighting with a range from 1 to 2. I'll confess to not understanding how that translates into anything I already know. I can see the steel rise in "gotten more than they deserve, for example, but as I don't know what a 1 means, I certainly don't know what a 2 means.

If not, I can do more digging, but if so it would make our lives easier and give other readers who are even less proficient at math and stats than I am a fighting chance of pretending to disagree with its findings!

Thanks!

I'd also note that the graphs shift from an every 2 year measure from 1986 - 1994 to a 4 year measure from 2000 - 2016, with nothingfor 1996 or 1998 at all. That makes the rises to the right of these charts look steeper than they would be if they were elongated by the same intermediate periods that the left side is at.

I don't expect you to know what's with that, but it looks as if I am going to have to write to these people to understand what they are doing! I had misleading graphs with a passion, even (especially!) when they support information I already suspected! It makes it easier to dismiss what they have to say and undermine the entire discussion!

Grrrr!

Hell, they’re going to disagree with the findings anyway.

I'll take that as, "No, I neither understand the terminology nor think it is worth worrying about the poor scholarship in the graphic representations," unless you offer me some other way to take your response.

Not everybody is Red or Kiid, refusing to consider (let alone accept) evidence staring them in the face.

I've written to the author to seek an explanation. My reading of Odds Ratios makes his scale look really peculiar, given that they are not restricted to 1 to 2.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: September 23, 2018, 12:49:16 PM »

Larry, is the piece from your son's classmate online somewhere, so I can share it with some folks out there who might care?

Josh,

Please feel free to share it anywhere...

https://exjournalistsunite.wordpress.com/2018/09/23/brett-kavanaugh-and-the-rape-culture-of-d-c-s-all-male-prep-schools/

Thanks!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #3094 on: September 23, 2018, 12:52:09 PM »

Welp!

Hi, Larry -

Thanks!

Grrrr!

Hell, they’re going to disagree with the findings anyway.

I'll take that as, "No, I neither understand the terminology nor think it is worth worrying about the poor scholarship in the graphic representations," unless you offer me some other way to take your response.

Not everybody is Red or Kiid, refusing to consider (let alone accept) evidence staring them in the face.

I've written to the author to seek an explanation. My reading of Odds Ratios makes his scale look really peculiar, given that they are not restricted to 1 to 2.

Full response...

Hell, they’re going to disagree with the findings anyway.  But no, I’d have to see the methodology for charting the research written out before I could make an opinion that wasn’t bullshit.

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

barton

« Reply #3097 on: September 23, 2018, 03:12:10 PM »

Well,  if there's a turkey,  I guess not everyone is fighting for a right wing this year.   

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: September 23, 2018, 06:08:37 PM »

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/9/23/1797888/-The-Oil-Companies-not-only-knew-fossil-fuels-caused-climate-change-they-knew-how-bad-it-would-get

In 1982, for example, Exxon predicted that by about 2060, CO2 levels would reach around 560 parts per million – double the preindustrial level – and that this would push the planet’s average temperatures up by about 2°C over then-current levels (and even more compared to pre-industrial levels).

Shell’s internal projections, made in 1988, were even more ominous, finding that CO2 levels could double as early as 2030.

Exxon’s 1982 internal projections of the future increase in carbon dioxide levels.

Shell’s assessment foresaw a one-meter sea-level rise, and noted that warming could also fuel disintegration of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet, resulting in a worldwide rise in sea level of “five to six meters.”

They knew. They've known for decades.

The only people who don't know are folks who swallowed the GOP line.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #3099 on: September 23, 2018, 07:44:28 PM »

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/9/23/1797888/-The-Oil-Companies-not-only-knew-fossil-fuels-caused-climate-change-they-knew-how-bad-it-would-get

In 1982, for example, Exxon predicted that by about 2060, CO2 levels would reach around 560 parts per million – double the preindustrial level – and that this would push the planet’s average temperatures up by about 2°C over then-current levels (and even more compared to pre-industrial levels).

Shell’s internal projections, made in 1988, were even more ominous, finding that CO2 levels could double as early as 2030.

Exxon’s 1982 internal projections of the future increase in carbon dioxide levels.

Shell’s assessment foresaw a one-meter sea-level rise, and noted that warming could also fuel disintegration of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet, resulting in a worldwide rise in sea level of “five to six meters.”

They knew. They've known for decades.

The only people who don't know are folks who swallowed the GOP line.

Just like Wall Streeters,

“IBGYBG, I’ll Be Gone You’ll Be Gone. I do shit to make as much as I can and fuck anyone who gets hurt. By the time the shit hits I’ll be dead and my descendants will have enough to be comfortable... or they won’t.”1

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3100 on: September 23, 2018, 08:04:46 PM »

https://twitter.com/michaelavenatti/status/1044006928416825344?s=21

Meanwhile, Michael Avenatti says he has a witness - not to the event, but with information about the two (then) teen males.

Can't imagine why Kavanaugh didn't want an FBI investigation and Judge didn't want to testify.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #3101 on: September 23, 2018, 08:07:21 PM »

Meanwhile, Michael Avenatti says he has a witness - not to the event, but with information about the two (then) teen males.

Can't imagine why Kavanaugh didn't want an FBI investigation and Judge didn't want to testify.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/senate-democrats-investigate-a-new-allegation-of-sexual-misconduct-from-the-supreme-court-nominee-brett-kavanaughs-college-years-deborah-ramirez

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3102 on: September 23, 2018, 08:33:39 PM »

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/senate-democrats-investigate-a-new-allegation-of-sexual-misconduct-from-the-supreme-court-nominee-brett-kavanaughs-college-years-deborah-ramirez

From the New Yorker piece:
Senate Democrats are investigating a new allegation of sexual misconduct against Kavanaugh. The claim dates to the 1983-84 academic school year, when Kavanaugh was a freshman at Yale University. The offices of at least four Democratic senators have received information about the allegation, and at least two have begun investigating it. Senior Republican staffers also learned of the allegation last week and, in conversations with The New Yorker, expressed concern about its potential impact on Kavanaugh’s nomination. Soon after, Senate Republicans issued renewed calls to accelerate the timing of a committee vote.

Such a predictable, craven approach by the Senate Republicans.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #3104 on: September 23, 2018, 08:46:05 PM »

From the New Yorker piece:
Senate Democrats are investigating a new allegation of sexual misconduct against Kavanaugh. The claim dates to the 1983-84 academic school year, when Kavanaugh was a freshman at Yale University. The offices of at least four Democratic senators have received information about the allegation, and at least two have begun investigating it. Senior Republican staffers also learned of the allegation last week and, in conversations with The New Yorker, expressed concern about its potential impact on Kavanaugh’s nomination. Soon after, Senate Republicans issued renewed calls to accelerate the timing of a committee vote.

Such a predictable, craven approach by the Senate Republicans.

This is the GOP end game they’ve been working toward for fifty years. Sew up The Supreme Court for several decades to take us back to the gilded age.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 4288