Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1608884 times)

Yankguy1

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #3810 on: October 02, 2018, 04:48:22 PM »

Trump says it’s a “Scary time for young men in America!”
We need bambu-"wisdom" to weigh in on this. 
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 04:57:29 PM by Yankguy1 »
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3811 on: October 02, 2018, 04:54:00 PM »

And this from a conservative, a man who has known him for 20 years:
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/10/why-i-wouldnt-confirm-brett-kavanaugh/571936/

The Brett Kavanaugh who showed up to Thursday’s hearing is a man I have never met, whom I have never even caught a glimpse of in 20 years of knowing the person who showed up to the first hearing. I dealt with Kavanaugh during the Starr investigation, which I covered for the Washington Post editorial page and about which I wrote a book. I dealt with him when he was in the White House counsel’s office and working on judicial nominations and post–September 11 legal matters. Since his confirmation to the D.C. Circuit, he has been a significant voice on a raft of issues I work on. In all of our interactions, he has been a consummate professional. The allegations against him shocked me very deeply, but not quite so deeply as did his presentation. It was not just an angry and aggressive version of the person I have known. It seemed like a different person altogether.

My cognitive dissonance at Kavanaugh’s performance Thursday is not important. What is important is the dissonance between the Kavanaugh of Thursday’s hearing and the judicial function. Can anyone seriously entertain the notion that a reasonable pro-choice woman would feel like her position could get a fair shake before a Justice Kavanaugh? Can anyone seriously entertain the notion that a reasonable Democrat, or a reasonable liberal of any kind, would after that performance consider him a fair arbiter in, say, a case about partisan gerrymandering, voter identification, or anything else with a strong partisan valence? Quite apart from the merits of Ford’s allegations against him, Kavanaugh’s display on Thursday—if I were a senator voting on confirmation—would preclude my support.

Perhaps if I believed Kavanaugh’s testimony in its totality, if I believed his denial—and thus his anger—to be entirely righteous, I could see fit to look past the impropriety of his performance. If Kavanaugh is, in fact, wholly innocent, after all, what has happened to him is so monstrous that perhaps we might forgive him the excess in view of the pressures he is under and the wrongs he would clearly have suffered—though the outburst was part of his prepared statement and thus should be seen as his considered decision about what he wanted to say.

But there are reasons to worry about the integrity of Kavanaugh’s testimony.

No, this was the man who through a drink in somebody else's face. This is the kind of man who can be full of rage when he drinks... and possibly not remember it.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #3812 on: October 02, 2018, 04:58:11 PM »

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #3813 on: October 02, 2018, 05:01:25 PM »

Worth repeating:

What is important is the dissonance between the Kavanaugh of Thursday’s hearing and the judicial function. Can anyone seriously entertain the notion that a reasonable pro-choice woman would feel like her position could get a fair shake before a Justice Kavanaugh? Can anyone seriously entertain the notion that a reasonable Democrat, or a reasonable liberal of any kind, would after that performance consider him a fair arbiter in, say, a case about partisan gerrymandering, voter identification, or anything else with a strong partisan valence? Quite apart from the merits of Ford’s allegations against him, Kavanaugh’s display on Thursday—if I were a senator voting on confirmation—would preclude my support.

Of course, for Conservatives the fact that no pro-choice woman or reasonable Democrat would get a fair hearing in front of Kavanaugh is a feature, not a bug.  Hence, the renewed determination to confirm him we are seeing post-hearing.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #3814 on: October 02, 2018, 05:05:11 PM »

I think you're wrong. Handle it.

I could be wrong. However, you stepped out and said I was wrong but offered the same ol same ol that has resulted in the GOP controlling all branches of government, whereas the coalition I tout has delivered all the victories in the last decade.

No, I didn't make that offer at all. And you are wrong about how to expand the scope and effectiveness of the party. It's not rooted in hissy fits and whining.
Tout away.

Well, it works for white men...

”The sexual assault allegations against Supreme Court nominee Brett M. Kavanaugh have sparked a wave of unbridled anger and anxiety from many Republican men...”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/the-trauma-for-a-man-male-fury-and-fear-rises-in-gop-in-defense-of-kavanaugh/2018/10/01/f48499a2-c595-11e8-b2b5-79270f9cce17_story.html
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #3816 on: October 02, 2018, 05:05:45 PM »

And he is 100% correct.

Not only young men...the mee-too brigade seem intent on making every man who has ever 'tried something' from the age 10 onwards...pay.
Pay bigtime, be exposed as a predator, and have their lives ruined.
Then a celebration dance done on their 'graves'.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3817 on: October 02, 2018, 05:19:48 PM »

And he is 100% correct.

Not only young men...the mee-too brigade seem intent on making every man who has ever 'tried something' from the age 10 onwards...pay.

Yeah, that groping shouldn't be a problem!

And that? That was only attempted sexual assault! She got away, so nothing happened.

Bambi, don't go near any women, including your wife. Who knows what might happen?

And be careful of the AI robots, as I hear they are being programmed to report aberrant behavior!

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #3818 on: October 02, 2018, 05:29:56 PM »

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/stormy-daniels-takes-down-donald-trump-in-tell-all-australian-interview/ar-BBNPluJ?li=AAgfYrC&OCID=AVRES000

Stormy Daniels takes down Donald Trump in tell-all Australian interview

Adult entertainer Stormy Daniels created a global scandal when she revealed she’d had an affair with the most powerful man on earth, US President Donald Trump, in 2006.
And now, for the first time in an exclusive 60 Minutes interview, Australian audiences will hear every salacious details of her night with the man who she is now determined to “take down”.

“Everything’s on the table,” she tells reporter Liz Hayes in a preview of Sunday’s exclusive.
“Only from now on I’ll have my pants on.”

Up until now, Daniels hasn’t been able to speak about her experience with the President as openly as she can with Hayes.

“The entire universe has seen my butt hole, like, I’m pretty hard to embarrass,” she tells Hayes.

#####

Oh dear.

One of the first things many people in Australia will be saying about her will be "home-wrecker"...is my guess.
As well as 'double-crosser' and "kiss and teller" or words to that effect.

About 3 of the worst things you can be in Australia.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 05:32:40 PM by bambu-wisdom »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #3819 on: October 02, 2018, 05:34:02 PM »

It sounded to me like Kavanaugh put on a performance, added a Trumpian in your face element, plus tears and outrage.  Seemed calculated and rehearsed, and I was wondering how much of that is the real Kavanaugh. 
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #3820 on: October 02, 2018, 05:36:00 PM »

The endless sniffling was a nice touch.   

An AI robot government starting to look PRETTY GOOD right now.   

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #3821 on: October 02, 2018, 05:36:53 PM »

And he is 100% correct.

There is nobody more in tune with the trials and tribulations of American male youth than an Australian pensioner who hides in his house watching FOX News and listening to talk-radio all day.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #3822 on: October 02, 2018, 05:36:59 PM »

It sounded to me like Kavanaugh put on a performance, added a Trumpian in your face element, plus tears and outrage.  Seemed calculated and rehearsed, and I was wondering how much of that is the real Kavanaugh.

I dunno, but I’d hate to be around that guy when he’s drunk.

Lyndon Johnson

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #3823 on: October 02, 2018, 05:45:02 PM »

And he is 100% correct.

Yeah, that groping shouldn't be a problem!

And that? That was only attempted sexual assault! She got away, so nothing happened.

Bambi, don't go near any women, including your wife. Who knows what might happen?

And be careful of the AI robots, as I hear they are being programmed to report aberrant behavior!

Hope you've never looked a few seconds too long at any woman, in high school, college, the workplace or on a plane etc.
Or you could be the next 'leering predator' exposed.
No man is safe.
Accused, men are automatically guilty today.
Trump said it true.

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #3824 on: October 02, 2018, 05:50:25 PM »

And he is 100% correct.

There is nobody more in tune with the trials and tribulations of American male youth than an Australian pensioner who hides in his house watching FOX News and listening to talk-radio all day.

Exactly!
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 4288