Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1584019 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #4650 on: October 19, 2018, 08:15:55 AM »

https://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/election/article220180385.html

Another GOP former governor of Kansas has endorsed the Democratic Party candidate, Laura Kelly, over Kris Kobach.

Nice. You got that goin for ya.

barton

« Reply #4651 on: October 19, 2018, 09:43:22 AM »

Are ANY polling places (across the US)  being eliminated in Republican heavy districts?  Have you researched it?  Has anyone?

I have.   The closings are almost entirely in districts with large populations of Latinos and blacks,  or Native Americans,  which tend to vote Democrat.  The GOP knows it must cheat to win.   

In 2016, Arizona GOP ramped up the cheating...

https://www.thenation.com/article/there-are-868-fewer-places-to-vote-in-2016-because-the-supreme-court-gutted-the-voting-rights-act/

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4652 on: October 19, 2018, 10:07:48 AM »

ND is a Republican state.

Ms Heitkamp did quite well in winning her seat (by 1%).  But reelection was always going to be a tough go.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #4653 on: October 19, 2018, 10:13:30 AM »

Are ANY polling places (across the US)  being eliminated in Republican heavy districts?  Have you researched it?  Has anyone?

I have.   The closings are almost entirely in districts with large populations of Latinos and blacks,  or Native Americans,  which tend to vote Democrat.  The GOP knows it must cheat to win.   

https://www.thenation.com/article/there-are-868-fewer-places-to-vote-in-2016-because-the-supreme-court-gutted-the-voting-rights-act/
It is always comforting to read one more post citing one more  faux reason to explain the poor performance of the dems in elections over the last decade.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4654 on: October 19, 2018, 10:15:17 AM »

The PARTY OF LINCOLN…..
Rewatched the excellent movie ‘LINCOLN’ last night starring Daniel Day-Lewis. Among other things, I couldn’t help but think about the small, empty little man who now lives in the same house Lincoln lived and worked in.
I was thinking about that movie the other day, when talking with friends about why Trump has no problem with a religious fundamentalist theocracy that murders and dismembers journalists but is afraid of four year old Guatamalens. It is the part where TL Jones, as Thaddeus Stevens, tells Lincoln something like, white people cannot bear the thought of sharing America's infinite.riches with black people. Trump and the Republicans are afraid of someone who if brought here legally would work hard, pursue their dream, and take nothing more than their due.

Also, I watched that movie for.the second time the night before my colonoscopy. The Moviprep kicked in right after Lincoln left his last cabinet meeting saying, I have to go, though I really would prefer to stay and.walked down the hall. Between what sounded like the deafening roars of a firehouse, I thought, by leaving when i did I have made a better movie than Steven Spielberg did.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4655 on: October 19, 2018, 10:19:20 AM »

A better choice than all the Amendment back and fourth is just to take 50-70 million people from the most beleaguered places on earth, expedite their citizenship and settle them in Nebraska, Oklahoma, Indiana, Idaho, Alabama, Tennessee, Mississippi, South Carolina, Alaska, etc. that should be the final nail in the coffin of the GOP. From Lincoln to nothing, R.I.P.

I'd let natural attrition (old age+) trim the ranks of the old white racist party, the rest will likely leave for Argentina or Germany, And the unfortunate social Republicans will likely die prematurely from either opiate addiction and/or the gutting of healthcare and other social programs.

Then the democrats will fix the mess created by the racist greedy Republican pigs

As they have done repeatedly in the past.

Obamacare was a dismal failure.
Obamacare was a qualified success.ike all pieces of major legislation, its actual operation revealed the need for fixes. In a normal political climate, that would have been fairly quickly done. But Republicans invested.heavily in demonizing their ideas, like the individual mandate, for political reasons, for normalcy.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #4656 on: October 19, 2018, 10:34:07 AM »

Ms Heitkamp did quite well in winning her seat (by 1%).  But reelection was always going to be a tough go.

Yes, it was gonna be a tough go so the GOP is trying to take away her margin of victory, indigenous folks on the rez’.

Now they need to have a street address on their photo IDs except, they all use P.O. Boxes because there aren’t dedicated streets. They don’t live in suburban subdivisions.

Cheating motherfuckers.

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #4657 on: October 19, 2018, 10:42:58 AM »

It is always comforting to read one more post citing one more  faux reason to explain the poor performance of the dems in elections over the last decade.

When your party’s electoral strategy depends on fewer people voting it means they know their policies suck for most people.

The GOP runs on hate, fear and resentment. It does not care about governing it only wants to extract as much wealth and power for its donor base.

History is gonna look unkindly to the Republicans of this era... unless of course it is written by Skynet.

Speaking of history...

https://thinkprogress.org/4-things-that-were-supposed-to-happen-by-2015-because-obama-was-reelected-83346a4cda5a/
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4658 on: October 19, 2018, 11:16:15 AM »

Yes, it was gonna be a tough go so the GOP is trying to take away her margin of victory, indigenous folks on the rez’.

Now they need to have a street address on their photo IDs except, they all use P.O. Boxes because there aren’t dedicated streets. They don’t live in suburban subdivisions.

Cheating motherfuckers.

Meanwhile, The Bismarck Tribune reports that a Native American organization is working to come up with a last-minute solution for voters who would otherwise be turned away:

"Bret Healy, a consultant for Four Directions, which is led by members of South Dakota's Rosebud Sioux Tribe, said the organization believes it has a common-sense solution.

"The group is working with tribal leaders in North Dakota to have a tribal government official available at every polling place on reservations to issue a tribal voting letter that includes the eligible voter's name, date of birth and residential address."

A state official told tribal leaders that such letters will be accepted as proof of residency, the Tribune reports.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #4659 on: October 19, 2018, 11:17:53 AM »

I dont think the Heitkamp race will be close enough to even complain about suppression.

But we shall see.

barton

« Reply #4660 on: October 19, 2018, 11:22:19 AM »

Yes, polls are being closed in Republican states IN PRECINCTS THAT ARE PREDOMINANTLY MINORITIES that strongly lean Democrat.  That's what the article was referring to, and that is what "district" meant in the context it was used.  Shutting down a polling station on a reservation with a low population density means (I live in this part of the country, so I know whereof I speak) that the next nearest station can be several hours drive away.  The closing of polling stations, as my article documented (Red said it was false, but notice his lack of documentation or specific facts), has been selectively directed at the poor and minorities that vote Democrat in large proportion.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #4661 on: October 19, 2018, 11:23:44 AM »

Speaking of history...
https://thinkprogress.org/4-things-that-were-supposed-to-happen-by-2015-because-obama-was-reelected-83346a4cda5a/
I guess it meant nothing to voters who rejected Obama’s choice to carry on his half-baked economic plans.

barton

« Reply #4662 on: October 19, 2018, 11:29:09 AM »

Oglala Lakota County, 2016 election:

Clinton: 86%

Trump   8%

Just in case there are any lingering doubts about how Indians vote....

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #4663 on: October 19, 2018, 11:31:53 AM »

A better choice than all the Amendment back and fourth is just to take 50-70 million people from the most beleaguered places on earth, expedite their citizenship and settle them in Nebraska, Oklahoma, Indiana, Idaho, Alabama, Tennessee, Mississippi, South Carolina, Alaska, etc. that should be the final nail in the coffin of the GOP. From Lincoln to nothing, R.I.P.

I'd let natural attrition (old age+) trim the ranks of the old white racist party, the rest will likely leave for Argentina or Germany, And the unfortunate social Republicans will likely die prematurely from either opiate addiction and/or the gutting of healthcare and other social programs.

Then the democrats will fix the mess created by the racist greedy Republican pigs

As they have done repeatedly in the past.

Obamacare was a dismal failure.k
Obamacare was a qualified success.ike all pieces of major legislation, its actual operation revealed the need for fixes. In a normal political climate, that would have been fairly quickly done. But Republicans invested.heavily in demonizing their ideas, like the individual mandate, for political reasons, for normalcy.
A hysterical re-write of the history of ObamaCare passed only  by democrats (who immediately lost the House at the next election) and ended Obama’s legislative agenda for his remaining  six years in office.

barton

« Reply #4664 on: October 19, 2018, 11:38:08 AM »

Cheating motherfuckers.

Meanwhile, The Bismarck Tribune reports that a Native American organization is working to come up with a last-minute solution for voters who would otherwise be turned away:

"Bret Healy, a consultant for Four Directions, which is led by members of South Dakota's Rosebud Sioux Tribe, said the organization believes it has a common-sense solution.

"The group is working with tribal leaders in North Dakota to have a tribal government official available at every polling place on reservations to issue a tribal voting letter that includes the eligible voter's name, date of birth and residential address."

A state official told tribal leaders that such letters will be accepted as proof of residency, the Tribune reports.

You understand that this time-consuming method is a last-ditch effort to counteract a policy designed to suppress Native American voters, right?  It's a great idea, but wouldn't have been necessary if North Dakota hadn't suddenly decided that a PO Box was no longer a valid indicator of residency. 

Don't you think it's odd that this horrible PO Box situation with its frightening potential for mass voter fraud was never brought up in regard to white voters with PO Boxes?  Plenty of white folks who live in cabins in the Black Hills and other national forest lands, who don't have legal address but do have PO Boxes.  State never worried about them as potential fraudsters.  What's up with that, Kid?  Please put my mind at rest. 
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 4288