Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392] 393 394 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1584766 times)

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #5865 on: November 09, 2018, 12:19:22 PM »

Not-so-good results Tuesday for the Greens

Voters in::

Washington defeated a carbon tax for the second time in 2 years.(56%-44%)

Colorado defeated a proposal to effectively shut down oil and gas exploration in the state(57%-43%)

Arizona defeated aproposal to derive 50% of electricity from renewables by 2030(70%-30%)

Alaska defeated attempts to restrict development around salmon habitats(64%-36%)

Montana said no to new restrictions on hard rock mines(56%-44%)

And Elizabeth Warren’s dream of a Progressive take-over of the democrat party may have suffered a fatal blow on Tuesday. Despite her strong endorsement and campaigning Richard Cordray’ s bid to become Ohio Governor for came up short(as did every democrat in Ohio running for statewide office). In other races in competitive districts Warren’s Progressives went 0 for 9.

I would have to see the specific wording of the AZ legislative bill to really have an opinion on why it was defeated.  Referendum voting has several problems - one of them is the percentage of voters who don't fully understand the wording.

As a general thing, AZ stands to gain from investing in a solar energy economy, given that it averages something like 320 days of sun per year, and has a huge market to its west to sell to when the system overproduces.  The key to intermittent energy sources is not state initiatives so much as interstate cooperative pacts that distribute different types of energy across high-voltage long distance grids.  Some days, for one example, it's cloudy in one place, but windy in another place and the windy place can sell you their overproduction.   There's talk in the energy industry of establishing a DC Grid of long distance lines.  Apparently DC current can transmit long distances better, with less loss, with new power line technology available.  Then it's converted to AC when it reaches its consumer local grid.  If you've heard talk about smartgrids (I'm guessing you don't follow this stuff as much as I do), they are the future.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5866 on: November 09, 2018, 12:26:23 PM »

Colorado defeated a proposal to effectively shut down oil and gas exploration in the state(57%-43%)

Arizona defeated aproposal to derive 50% of electricity from renewables by 2030(70%-30%)

Alaska defeated attempts to restrict development around salmon habitats(64%-36%)

And Elizabeth Warren’s dream of a Progressive take-over of the democrat party may have suffered a fatal blow on Tuesday. Despite her strong endorsement and campaigning Richard Cordray’ s bid to become Ohio Governor for came up short(as did every democrat in Ohio running for statewide office). In other races in competitive districts Warren’s Progressives went 0 for 9.

I would have to see the specific wording of the AZ legislative bill to really have an opinion on why it was defeated.
"They want to turn us into California!"
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

barton

« Reply #5867 on: November 09, 2018, 12:28:05 PM »

LOL
Then compare the vote for Florida Governor to the vote reinstituting voting rights to former felons.

Ballot measure:  64.5 % YES

Governor:  dead heat, each meandering around 49%

Republican voters have more integrity and interest in democracy than Republican politicians once they are in power?  I'm sure there are multiple interpretations.  What's yours?

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5868 on: November 09, 2018, 12:29:24 PM »

The Northeast region, which is getting fucked over by the GOP, pays for that AZ and CA electricity, and the water.
So, fuck you, AZ.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 12:34:14 PM by MrUtley3 »
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

barton

« Reply #5869 on: November 09, 2018, 12:31:02 PM »

Yep.  I expect a lot of voters were missing the information I provided in the rest of my post.  Political hacks like to encourage short-term thinking. 

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #5871 on: November 09, 2018, 12:35:32 PM »

LOL
Then compare the vote for Florida Governor to the vote reinstituting voting rights to former felons.

Ballot measure:  64.5 % YES

Governor:  dead heat, each meandering around 49%

Republican voters have more integrity and interest in democracy than Republican politicians once they are in power?  I'm sure there are multiple interpretations.  What's yours?
My guess is that 30 or so percent of Florida voters are independent and could well account for the difference. They split on Governor but voted for voting restoration. To which Espn will reply with either LOL or Uh huh. Sure. But not with actual argument.

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #5872 on: November 09, 2018, 12:39:16 PM »

Yep.  I expect a lot of voters were missing the information I provided in the rest of my post.  Political hacks like to encourage short-term thinking.
Several people ran against turning Arizona into California. I think if the do turn us into California, can we.get Big Sur?

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #5873 on: November 09, 2018, 12:43:13 PM »

Hi,

Can someone please explain to me how the Governor of a state (FL) can, after 8(?) years in office can turn around and blame anyone but himself for an effed up voting system?

It was the year 2000 that pointed out the problems in FL. This is 2018. It takes very little grasp of math to understand that they have had 18 years to fix the problems. Scott was the ...

There is no reasonable explanation for this! This event should disqualify Scott for any roll north of toilet paper!

IMHO.

He’s outraged because how dare they vote in numbers to overcome their voter suppression.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #5874 on: November 09, 2018, 12:45:18 PM »

I just read that the President is headed to Paris.  Right in the middle of an invasion of the homeland?  That doesn't set a very good example.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #5875 on: November 09, 2018, 12:50:09 PM »

Several people ran against turning Arizona into California. I think if the do turn us into California, can we.get Big Sur?

That might be might be a tough relo, but how about, a Summer of Love '67 tied shirt, some Beach Boy 45s, and an American Grafitti poster autographed by Ron Howard, Cindy Williams and Wolfman Jack?   

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #5876 on: November 09, 2018, 12:54:12 PM »

I just read that the President is headed to Paris.  Right in the middle of an invasion of the homeland?  That doesn't set a very good example.

But Trump has has acting AG Matt "Hot Tub" Whitaker on the job.

btw anyone else think the guy looks like Lex Luther? 

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #5877 on: November 09, 2018, 12:59:33 PM »

Amazing, state is 50/50 on everything.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

barton

« Reply #5878 on: November 09, 2018, 01:56:27 PM »

LuthOR. 

From a couple guys who worked for the special prosecutor back in Watergate, in today's NYT...

In a stunning move on the heels of the midterm election, President Trump has forced the resignation of Attorney General Jeff Sessions and appointed an outspoken critic of the Mueller investigation — Matthew Whitaker — as acting attorney general, shunting Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein to the sidelines. This raises the specter of a fearful president attempting to muzzle Special Counsel Robert Mueller or hinder him from revealing whether his 18-month-long grand jury investigation has turned up evidence of criminality implicating Donald Trump or his immediate family.

But a 44-year-old “road map” from the Watergate prosecution shows a potential route for Mr. Mueller to send incriminating evidence directly to Congress. The road map was devised in 1974 by the Watergate special prosecutor, Leon Jaworski, with our assistance. We wrote the road map — actually a report — to be conveyed to Congress; it was called “Report and Recommendation” and served as a guide to a collection of grand jury evidence contained in a single document. That evidence included still-secret presidential tape recordings that had been acquired through grand jury subpoena — but which had been withheld from Congress by President Nixon.

The recent decision by Washington’s Federal District Court chief judge, Beryl Howell, to release the document from the National Archives provides a historic legal precedent that could be a vehicle for Mr. Mueller and the grand jury assisting him to share the fruits of their investigation into possible criminal conduct within the Trump presidential campaign and subsequent administration.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/09/opinion/trump-whitaker-mueller-watergate.html

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #5879 on: November 09, 2018, 02:01:26 PM »

I would have to see the specific wording of the AZ legislative bill to really have an opinion on why it was defeated.  Referendum voting has several problems - one of them is the percentage of voters who don't fully understand the wording.

Arizona Proposition 127

A “YES” vote will replace Arizona’s current plan for transitioning nongovernmental electric utilities to renewable energy with a constitutional mandate that, irrespective of cost to consumers, 50% of the retail energy sales of these utilities come from certain types of renewable energy by 2030 (neither pre-1997 hydropower nor any nuclear generation counts for this percentage); the current plan increases use of the same types of renewable energy from 8% this year to 15% in 2025. A “YES” vote also will mandate that these utilities increase their use of distributed renewable energy (energy locally generated and distributed from customers’ premises) to 10% by 2030; will require the new mandates be met by obtaining renewable energy credits, which may be created through renewable energy production or purchased from others who own existing renewable energy credits; and will require the Arizona Corporation Commission to enact implementing regulations.

YES
A “NO” vote will preserve the existing rules that govern the required annual percentage of retail sales of renewable energy by nongovernmental electric utilities.

The NO vote was 70%.
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392] 393 394 ... 4288