Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 391 392 [393] 394 395 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1585109 times)

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #5880 on: November 09, 2018, 02:12:06 PM »

Not-so-good results Tuesday for the Greens

Voters in::

Washington defeated a carbon tax for the second time in 2 years.(56%-44%)

Colorado defeated a proposal to effectively shut down oil and gas exploration in the state(57%-43%)

Arizona defeated aproposal to derive 50% of electricity from renewables by 2030(70%-30%)

Alaska defeated attempts to restrict development around salmon habitats(64%-36%)

Montana said no to new restrictions on hard rock mines(56%-44%)

And Elizabeth Warren’s dream of a Progressive take-over of the democrat party may have suffered a fatal blow on Tuesday. Despite her strong endorsement and campaigning Richard Cordray’ s bid to become Ohio Governor for came up short(as did every democrat in Ohio running for statewide office). In other races in competitive districts Warren’s Progressives went 0 for 9.

Americans have now seen the light.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5881 on: November 09, 2018, 02:21:54 PM »

Colorado defeated a proposal to effectively shut down oil and gas exploration in the state(57%-43%)

Arizona defeated aproposal to derive 50% of electricity from renewables by 2030(70%-30%)

Alaska defeated attempts to restrict development around salmon habitats(64%-36%)

And Elizabeth Warren’s dream of a Progressive take-over of the democrat party may have suffered a fatal blow on Tuesday. Despite her strong endorsement and campaigning Richard Cordray’ s bid to become Ohio Governor for came up short(as did every democrat in Ohio running for statewide office). In other races in competitive districts Warren’s Progressives went 0 for 9.

Sure have! That is why the Democrats gained 7 governor seats, took control of the House, and had far more people vote for their House and Senatorial candidates than Republicans!

Richard Cordray is a professional candidate who has not won anything since the last time he was.on Jeopardy.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 02:24:00 PM by whiskeypriest »
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #5882 on: November 09, 2018, 02:25:05 PM »

Finally IS terrorists have seemingly struck in Australia...was only a matter of time.
If only we in Australia had Trump as our leader.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/somali-born-terrorist-who-carried-out-bourke-street-attack-is-the-brother-of-an-isis-sympathiser-whose-bomb-plot-was-foiled/ar-BBPwqOa?li=AAgfYrC&OCID=AVRES000

Somali-born terrorist who carried out Bourke Street attack is the brother of an 'ISIS sympathiser whose bomb plot was foiled'

The brother of the knife-wielding Somali terrorist who stabbed three men, one fatally, in Melbourne's inner-city has been revealed as an 'ISIS sympathiser' who allegedly planned to execute a major terrorist attack.

#####

Immigration...don't ya just love it.

Stabbed people to death on London bridge...and now knife-wielding terrorists are doing the same thing on Australian soil.
No wonder Americans want to be able to carry guns!
Terrorists have knives and are stabbing innocent people to death on streets in Australia.

Am I allowed to carry a knife?
No.

Am I allowed to carry a gun?
No.

A sitting duck am I...just like the men who were stabbed in this Melbourne attack.

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #5883 on: November 09, 2018, 02:27:06 PM »

And Elizabeth Warren’s dream of a Progressive take-over of the democrat party may have suffered a fatal blow on Tuesday. Despite her strong endorsement and campaigning Richard Cordray’ s bid to become Ohio Governor for came up short(as did every democrat in Ohio running for statewide office).
Wait - Sherrod Brown lost? Somehow I think that would have been bigger news.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #5884 on: November 09, 2018, 02:28:55 PM »

LOL
Then compare the vote for Florida Governor to the vote reinstituting voting rights to former felons.

Ballot measure:  64.5 % YES

Governor:  dead heat, each meandering around 49%

Republican voters have more integrity and interest in democracy than Republican politicians once they are in power?  I'm sure there are multiple interpretations.  What's yours?
My guess is that 30 or so percent of Florida voters are independent and could well account for the difference. They split on Governor but voted for voting restoration. To which Espn will reply with either LOL or Uh huh. Sure. But not with actual argument.
J
DeSantis was labeled as racist by the Gillum campaign from the start.
Looking at the two vote totals, though, the Felon Amendment could not have gathered 65% per cent in favor without a healthy faction of DeSantis voters.
Just my observation that voters can filter out campaign noise and do so more often than they are given credit for.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #5885 on: November 09, 2018, 02:31:16 PM »

And Elizabeth Warren’s dream of a Progressive take-over of the democrat party may have suffered a fatal blow on Tuesday. Despite her strong endorsement and campaigning Richard Cordray’ s bid to become Ohio Governor for came up short(as did every democrat in Ohio running for statewide office).
Wait - Sherrod Brown lost? Somehow I think that would have been bigger news.
Brown was re-elected to the US Senate, a federal office, not a state office.

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #5886 on: November 09, 2018, 02:31:54 PM »

Wish I had Trump was my leader;

Yesterday (January 27), President Donald Trump signed an executive order banning immigration from seven countries, all of which are predominantly Muslim. The countries in question are Iraq, Syria, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia and Yemen.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #5887 on: November 09, 2018, 02:33:49 PM »

Sure have! That is why the Democrats gained 7 governor seats, took control of the House, and had far more people vote for their House and Senatorial candidates than Republicans!

Richard Cordray is a professional candidate who has not won anything since the last time he was.on Jeopardy.
Elizabeth Warren shares your pain. 

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #5888 on: November 09, 2018, 02:43:11 PM »

So do i.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5889 on: November 09, 2018, 02:54:44 PM »

Itz ME!

• View Profile
« Reply #5890 on: November 09, 2018, 02:55:16 PM »

Hi,

Can someone please explain to me how the Governor of a state (FL) can, after 8(?) years in office can turn around and blame anyone but himself for an effed up voting system?

It was the year 2000 that pointed out the problems in FL. This is 2018. It takes very little grasp of math to understand that they have had 18 years to fix the problems. Scott was the ...

There is no reasonable explanation for this! This event should disqualify Scott for any roll north of toilet paper!

IMHO.

Scott is a posturing prevaricating piece of political poop? 

Republicans only fix voting system problems that allow too many Democrats to vote. 

Best news is that 1.4 million ex-felons have had their franchise restored down there.  Given their demographic, we could be seeing the last of the close races in Florida.
LOL
Then compare the vote for Florida Governor to the vote reinstituting voting rights to former felons.

Trying to determine intent by percentage is problematic (especially in FL).

Why? Because the raw vote totals may be vastly different. There have been, what, 9+- votes cast for Senator/Governor in FL? split 50/50 (ish) but if the Floridians forgot to fill in the ballot for referenda there could conceivably be a 100% vote for the item even though only 25% of the people voted for it. (Hypothetically)

TBT, I don't know and I don't care. It has been 18 YEARS! You have been governor for 8 years, you didn't fix the election system (if anything, your admin worked to make the process more opaque, and problematic). Have you no shame? Are you not at all embarrassed?

Let's not forget that the R's kept Senator Franken from taking his seat for a number of MONTHS after the Senate reconvened in 2009.There is no justification to rush through the Florida recounts.   

It sure would be cool to see the Florida elections overturned. Because more people voted for the D than the R.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5891 on: November 09, 2018, 02:57:24 PM »

Yesterday (January 27), President Donald Trump signed an executive order banning immigration from seven countries, all of which are predominantly Muslim. The countries in question are Iraq, Syria, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia and Yemen.

He’ll be in Paris soon. Go tell him that Australia has a ton of big boobed blonds and that he can rape as many as he likes as often as he likes or tell him that it’s a long standing tradition in Australia for tired old men to marry their daughters.

Either way, he’ll dump the US in a heart beat (after all, he’s losing money here), and run right over to you.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #5892 on: November 09, 2018, 03:09:34 PM »

Wait - Snipes is a SISTER?

Keeps gettin more interestin.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #5893 on: November 09, 2018, 03:30:29 PM »

LuthOR. 

From a couple guys who worked for the special prosecutor back in Watergate, in today's NYT...

In a stunning move on the heels of the midterm election, President Trump has forced the resignation of Attorney General Jeff Sessions and appointed an outspoken critic of the Mueller investigation — Matthew Whitaker — as acting attorney general, shunting Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein to the sidelines. This raises the specter of a fearful president attempting to muzzle Special Counsel Robert Mueller or hinder him from revealing whether his 18-month-long grand jury investigation has turned up evidence of criminality implicating Donald Trump or his immediate family.

But a 44-year-old “road map” from the Watergate prosecution shows a potential route for Mr. Mueller to send incriminating evidence directly to Congress. The road map was devised in 1974 by the Watergate special prosecutor, Leon Jaworski, with our assistance. We wrote the road map — actually a report — to be conveyed to Congress; it was called “Report and Recommendation” and served as a guide to a collection of grand jury evidence contained in a single document. That evidence included still-secret presidential tape recordings that had been acquired through grand jury subpoena — but which had been withheld from Congress by President Nixon.

The recent decision by Washington’s Federal District Court chief judge, Beryl Howell, to release the document from the National Archives provides a historic legal precedent that could be a vehicle for Mr. Mueller and the grand jury assisting him to share the fruits of their investigation into possible criminal conduct within the Trump presidential campaign and subsequent administration.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/09/opinion/trump-whitaker-mueller-watergate.html

Bart

re Luthor

I'm reasonably sure I knew that at some point in my life, in a simpler time, when a bald-Russian dictator represented the greatest threat to this country, rather than a creamsicle-coiffed authoritarian wannabe from Queens.

those were the good old days.

Comics and commies.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #5894 on: November 09, 2018, 03:48:33 PM »

Such a SUCKER for corporate interests...

I would have to see the specific wording of the AZ legislative bill to really have an opinion on why it was defeated.  Referendum voting has several problems - one of them is the percentage of voters who don't fully understand the wording.

Arizona Proposition 127

A “YES” vote will replace Arizona’s current plan for transitioning nongovernmental electric utilities to renewable energy with a constitutional mandate that, irrespective of cost to consumers, 50% of the retail energy sales of these utilities come from certain types of renewable energy by 2030 (neither pre-1997 hydropower nor any nuclear generation counts for this percentage); the current plan increases use of the same types of renewable energy from 8% this year to 15% in 2025. A “YES” vote also will mandate that these utilities increase their use of distributed renewable energy (energy locally generated and distributed from customers’ premises) to 10% by 2030; will require the new mandates be met by obtaining renewable energy credits, which may be created through renewable energy production or purchased from others who own existing renewable energy credits; and will require the Arizona Corporation Commission to enact implementing regulations.

YES
A “NO” vote will preserve the existing rules that govern the required annual percentage of retail sales of renewable energy by nongovernmental electric utilities.

The NO vote was 70%.

Attorney Jim Barton, who represents Clean Energy for a Healthy Arizona, wrote to Roysden concerning the changes Aug. 30, and took issue with adding the language to say utilities would need to meet the requirement "irrespective of costs."

"It strongly suggests that there will be a cost to customers," Barton complained to Roysden. "Adding this language falsely creates an impression that the law does something it does not."

APS' parent company uses the phrase "irrespective of costs" in advertisements against the measure.

Supporters of the measure note that the costs of solar and wind energy have been falling, even with batteries backing them up so people get power when the sun sets and winds are calm.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/arizona/2018/09/18/arizona-elections-proposition-127-ballot-language-called-unfair/1335893002/
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 391 392 [393] 394 395 ... 4288