Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 419 420 [421] 422 423 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1594902 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #6300 on: November 17, 2018, 02:50:29 AM »

I hear people are going to be withholding state taxes in Georgia until they dump Kemp and get a legitimately elected government.

Folks should do the same in Florida till they jettison DeSantos.

If republicans put half as much energy into making policy as they do into stealing power they’d make terrible policy which would only hurt their chances. Republicans are terrible people who make the worst possible government officials.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #6301 on: November 17, 2018, 11:53:33 AM »

Open immigration is a terrible policy.

---But Kemp’s problems were ameliorated, if not solved, when Abrams was taped giving a speech last week during a joint appearance with Massachusetts senator Elizabeth Warren in Jonesboro.

In an expansive prediction of how Democrats would sweep the country with a “blue wave,” Abrams said the following:

The thing of it is, is that blue waves aren’t blue. . . . The blue wave is African-American. It’s white, it’s Latino, it’s Asian, Pacific Islander. It is disabled. It is differently abled. It is LGBTQ. It is law enforcement. It is veterans. It is made up of those who have been told they are not worthy of being here. It is comprised of those who are documented and undocumented. It is comprised of those who have been told they’re successful and those who have been left behind.

Perhaps Abrams was just on automatic pilot, signaling her loyalty to identity politics and expressing solidarity with every possible segment of the electorate. There is nothing unusual about Democrats’ vowing to protect the “undocumented” (an inaccurate euphemism for illegal immigrants when some states give them driver’s licenses). But saying that a blue wave of Democrats will include “documented” and “undocumented” voters, as if those two categories were just two different ethnic groups with equal rights to the ballot, was astounding.---

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/10/stacey-abrams-undocumented-voters-blue-wave/
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

barton

« Reply #6302 on: November 17, 2018, 12:19:25 PM »

Stacey Abrams concedes defeat in Georgia.
But despite getting fewer votes she maintains
“ democracy lost”.

Sure.

And what would Redd have said, had it been a Democratic Secretary of State who locked away tons of voting machines, creating artificial shortages; who had deleted hundreds of thousands of voters' names from the register, claiming they had moved when they had not; and who then was overseeing the vote count process?
Horrible, if it happened.
It didn’t.

There,  there,  Reddy.  Of course none of those things happened.  It was all a bad dream.   Go back to sleep.   

barton

« Reply #6303 on: November 17, 2018, 12:32:03 PM »

Two different stories of gerrymander...Pennsylvania and NC. 

https://apnews.com/3b4e63717b164dc199d02bd21aa17307

oilcan

« Reply #6304 on: November 17, 2018, 01:00:35 PM »

http://hill.cm/AyDGFAj

Broward County's recount is being ignored by the state of Florida, which says it was two minutes late.

Thanks for the memo

Being ignored because those are the fucking RULES

In late because it was intentional, Republicans having been aided by the new count.

Drrrrrr (durrrr) Snipes is a snake

If you were going to be late,  so as to invalidate votes,  wouldn't you make it a little more than two minutes? 

oilcan

« Reply #6305 on: November 17, 2018, 01:06:31 PM »

Clever of everyone to wait and do Josh's new poll AFTER the winner was declared in AZ.

I think I know who one of the 2 wiseguys might be.

But Boyd...

I didn't say a word about the election! That's not the question at issue.

Ahh.  Got it.   If anyone in the state really cares about a few days of seniority,  then I expect they will be avoiding sidewalk cracks and getting in the first "slugbug! " when they spot a Volkswagen. 

oilcan

« Reply #6306 on: November 17, 2018, 01:09:25 PM »

I hope the Slugbug game is not just a Missouri thing,  because I don't want to try and explain it to rational human beings.  I could google and find out I guess.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #6307 on: November 17, 2018, 01:26:55 PM »

Two different stories of gerrymander...Pennsylvania and NC. 

https://apnews.com/3b4e63717b164dc199d02bd21aa17307
Two other stories are California and New Jersey where GOP representatives are widely underrepresented given the breakdown in share of the statewide votes.
As to the effect of gerrymandering nationwide democrats won 53 per cent of the total vote and will have 53 per cent of the House. ( 7 per cent more of the vote, 7 per cent more of the current seats)
In about three dozen races democrats ran unopposed, far more than the GOP.
The idea that the GOP gerrymandering after 2010 gave it a permanent majority is ridiculous since the political landscape is ever changing.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #6308 on: November 17, 2018, 01:47:12 PM »

The idea that the GOP gerrymandering after 2010 gave it a permanent majority is ridiculous since the political landscape is ever changing.

Red finally accepts the pendulum.  Better late than never. 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 02:15:27 PM by Yankguy1 »
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #6309 on: November 17, 2018, 02:09:23 PM »

<i>The idea that the GOP gerrymandering after 2010 gave it a permanent majority is ridiculous since the political landscape is ever changing.</I>

I think you miss the obvious.
Courts or commissions drawing districts solves nothing.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6310 on: November 17, 2018, 03:49:45 PM »

<i>The idea that the GOP gerrymandering after 2010 gave it a permanent majority is ridiculous since the political landscape is ever changing.</I>

5-4 depending on a couple.swing districts. Instead of easy to manipulate five secure republican.seats. Close to an even split in the leg.

N9n-partisam commissions cannot end all gerrymandering, but they can take politics oit.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #6311 on: November 17, 2018, 04:35:04 PM »

5-4 depending on a couple.swing districts. Instead of easy to manipulate five secure republican.seats. Close to an even split in the leg.

N9n-partisam commissions cannot end all gerrymandering, but they can take politics oit.
Take politics out of elections?
And replace it with what?
The Legislatures are charged by the Constitution to the job of drawing district lines every ten years. Appointing independent Commissions is a political process. So is delegating the job to State Justices who are, ahem, elected!

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #6312 on: November 17, 2018, 04:37:28 PM »

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/how-police-foiled-melbournes-deadliest-terror-plot/ar-BBPO1XV?li=AAgfYrC&OCID=AVRES000

How police foiled Melbourne's deadliest terror plot

© Paul Jeffers   Ibrahim Abbas arrives at the Supreme Court.

Ibrahim Abbas stood smug and proud in the dock, laughing as he described how he and three accomplices tried to avoid detection while they stood at Federation Square on December 20, 2016, planning how to kill people with bombs and knives on Christmas Day.

CCTV shows dozens of people including a number of children standing nearby, oblivious, as the group tried to be secretive while discussing their plans on the steps of central Melbourne's unofficial meeting place.

During his two-week long testimony to the Supreme Court, Ibrahim — the group's ringleader — revealed his sickening plot in detail.

#####

They're out there, lurking, plotting, to turn bambulanders into ash and slit our throats.
We are not allowed to carry weapons of any type.
Sitting ducks are we...waiting for the slaughter.

Americans are so lucky, they can carry guns.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6313 on: November 17, 2018, 05:17:52 PM »

GIRL - lay off the press.  Haven't you been listening to your fellow Democrats opinion of how media is being/should be handled?

And no - they aren't shooting your ass, you fucking egomaniac idiot.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/16/politics/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-clothing-criticism-tweet/index.html

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6314 on: November 17, 2018, 06:09:31 PM »

Take politics out of elections?
And replace it with what?
The Legislatures are charged by the Constitution to the job of drawing district lines every ten years. Appointing independent Commissions is a political process. So is delegating the job to State Justices who are, ahem, elected!
Take politics out of district drawing. Several states already do it, including mine.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.
Pages: 1 ... 419 420 [421] 422 423 ... 4288