Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 420 421 [422] 423 424 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1584697 times)

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #6315 on: November 17, 2018, 06:10:32 PM »

GIRL - lay off the press.  Haven't you been listening to your fellow Democrats opinion of how media is being/should be handled?

And no - they aren't shooting your ass, you fucking egomaniac idiot.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/16/politics/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-clothing-criticism-tweet/index.html
So refrshing to see someone defending sexism. In a way.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #6316 on: November 17, 2018, 06:51:22 PM »

<i>The idea that the GOP gerrymandering after 2010 gave it a permanent majority is ridiculous since the political landscape is ever changing.</I>

Red finally accepts the pendulum.  Better late than never.
I think you miss the obvious.
Courts or commissions drawing districts solves nothing.
5-4 depending on a couple.swing districts. Instead of easy to manipulate five secure republican.seats. Close to an even split in the leg.

N9n-partisam commissions cannot end all gerrymandering, but they can take politics oit.
Take politics out of elections?
And replace it with what?
The Legislatures are charged by the Constitution to the job of drawing district lines every ten years. Appointing independent Commissions is a political process. So is delegating the job to State Justices who are, ahem, elected!
Take politics out of district drawing. Several states already do it, including mine.
LOL. Redistricting will always be a political process and it is best administered by politicians.

barton

« Reply #6317 on: November 17, 2018, 10:01:40 PM »

If by politicians you mean "independent non-partisan boards charged with districting that follows an objective compaction algorithm or similar, " then I agree.   If you mean, however, a group of partisan legislators, then no.   That's how states got districts like the one called Goofy Kicking Donald and other grotesqueries.   

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #6318 on: November 17, 2018, 10:34:02 PM »

If by politicians you mean "independent non-partisan boards charged with districting that follows an objective compaction algorithm or similar, " then I agree.   If you mean, however, a group of partisan legislators, then no.   That's how states got districts like the one called Goofy Kicking Donald and other grotesqueries.
Your post was proven a lie by last week’s democratic takeover of the House in districts largely drawn by GOP Legislatures after the 2010 Census.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #6319 on: November 17, 2018, 11:27:49 PM »

Your post was proven a lie by last week’s democratic takeover of the House in districts largely drawn by GOP Legislatures after the 2010 Census.

Now that there is some twisted, perverted logic.

“Because you successfully jumped through the hoops and leaped the barricades I put in your path, my attempts at obstruction don’t count. Therefore what you say is a lie.”

I bet you have no trouble sleeping you amoral fuck.

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #6320 on: November 18, 2018, 12:50:13 AM »

GIRL - lay off the press.  Haven't you been listening to your fellow Democrats opinion of how media is being/should be handled?

And no - they aren't shooting your ass, you fucking egomaniac idiot.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/16/politics/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-clothing-criticism-tweet/index.html

Egomaniac?

Please...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Driver125

• View Profile
« Reply #6321 on: November 18, 2018, 03:15:41 AM »

So refrshing to see someone defending sexism. In a way.
Hey….that’s just the Kid (or the Klid as he currently misspells it....)…..willing to go where most human beings fear to tread.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 03:17:32 AM by Driver125 »

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6322 on: November 18, 2018, 03:34:44 AM »

That would be true if republicans had more to offer voters than whatever got stuck to the bottom of their clown shoes.

Even the obscene amount of rigging the GOP put into preserving seats couldn’t stand up to the gravity of negligible accomplishments combined with the non stop disingenuous nastiness coming out of the party’s leadership. One can no longer tell whether the noxious flow is coming out of a republican ass or a republican face. There is no longer a discernible difference. 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 03:40:56 AM by facilitatorn »
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6323 on: November 18, 2018, 03:35:59 AM »

Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #6324 on: November 18, 2018, 09:29:27 AM »

Only in a mind that only cares about the final result and not fairness of the process.

barton

« Reply #6325 on: November 18, 2018, 11:31:29 AM »

Speaking of fair play....

https://apnews.com/ddb4230e61764f7e9a4b55680586e532

And kudos to Prof Hughes in Australia, for standing up to political hacks and getting out the facts about dying coral reefs.   The award should be a trophy with two balls of brass.   No,  that's sexist.   Ovaries are good,  too.   

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #6326 on: November 18, 2018, 02:32:56 PM »

Only in a mind that only cares about the final result and not fairness of the process.

What’s unfair about the process that’s been in use since the Constitutionwas adopted?
The democrats enjoyed House control for nearly 40 years through the end of last century despite often losing the total Congressional vote by 10'%. Eventually shifts in population trends began to favor the GOP and in 2010, helped by the dreadful enactment of ObamaCare by democrats, the GOP made great inroads. Yet despite liberal complaints of a pending “ autocracy” democrats regained the House and picked up state legislative seats by flipping districts “gerrymandered” by
republicans.
There is absolutely no evidence that the redistricting process is in need of an overhaul.

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #6327 on: November 18, 2018, 02:39:47 PM »

What’s unfair about the process that’s been in use since the Constitutionwas adopted?
The democrats enjoyed House control for nearly 40 years through the end of last century despite often losing the total Congressional vote by 10'%. Eventually shifts in population trends began to favor the GOP and in 2010, helped by the dreadful enactment of ObamaCare by democrats, the GOP made great inroads. Yet despite liberal complaints of a pending “ autocracy” democrats regained the House and picked up state legislative seats by flipping districts “gerrymandered” by
republicans.
There is absolutely no evidence that the redistricting process is in need of an overhaul.
Both parties do it? That is your defense?

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #6328 on: November 18, 2018, 02:43:02 PM »

Gerrymandering districts has ossified our political system. There are representatives left and right who have no incentive to work for bipartisan consensus because the only challenge they fear is from the activist fringes.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #6329 on: November 18, 2018, 02:50:55 PM »

There are many ways to divide people in order to work the groups against each other to gain or retain power, and one way that some people use to divide people is to put the working poor people against the poor people who are on government aid.

The poor person on aid might have reached the point where aid was their only choice and they were just holding on, and decided to accept help, and then they try to make the most of things, such as going back to school, improving your education, and maybe learning a trade.

The poor person who is working is told that they are supporting all of the poor people who do not work, when they pay their taxes, so they learn to resent the poor person on aid because they see them as being leeches which they need to support. So the working poor person may be miserable for a million other reasons, but it is easy to point to the people on aid as being a source of their misery.

The stupidest thing that I heard was a working poor person putting down a person on aid by acting like the person on aid was bad to accept a free education. The best thing that people can do is to retrain for a new economy, and an education is always good. Also, with job training and an education people can get off of aid and can start paying taxes.

The poor people are so tough that nothing anyone says can hurt them, as long as they have food, and shelter, and hope for the future, they focus on the good things and ignore the hate.

Of note too, is that Social Security is not Welfare, people pay into Social Security so it will be there if they become disabled, or for when they retire.

If we all loved each other the way that God wants us to, then they could never divide us, and there would never be wars, and all of the homeless people would receive aid. But not everyone is Christian, and many people are selfish and they do not want to share with their neighbors, they work and their neighbors should work too, according to them, I had a Grandfather like that, he used to say "When their belly hits their back-bone then they will get out and work like everyone else." Some people have no problem with children starving in Africa, and they do not even care about their own neighbors. Life can be sad.

So, we have our rules as a society, we have our community and we have rules and laws and taxes, and we get to decide what to do with our tax money, and people have been voting in recent years to help the poor and the homeless. The poor people who accept aid need to be strong, and they need to work hard in good ways, and they need to focus on the good things. And those who are working who are still poor need to stop hating other people, life does not need to be hard and cruel, and if you want more money then study and train, stop blaming the poor starving people who accept aid, and if you ever need aid then aid will be there for you too.

We need to stop the hate. And life does not have to be lonely and cruel.

And now Trump wants us to hate the Mexicans. It is the same old song and dance. We need to stop letting people divide us up to fight us against each other. All men are created equal.

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 03:01:16 PM by FlyingVProd »
Pages: 1 ... 420 421 [422] 423 424 ... 4288