Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 447 448 [449] 450 451 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1604795 times)

kiiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #6720 on: November 30, 2018, 09:21:05 AM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-trump-administration-is-taking-bold-action-to-combat-the-evil-of-human-trafficking/2018/11/29/3e21685c-f411-11e8-80d0-f7e1948d55f4_story.html

I was very excited to read this headline - I would love a reason to cheer for my president, instead of being angry with him all the time.

Then I saw it was an op-ed.

Then I saw it was written by Ivanka.

Future Madam President....if she desires

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #6721 on: November 30, 2018, 09:38:47 AM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-trump-administration-is-taking-bold-action-to-combat-the-evil-of-human-trafficking/2018/11/29/3e21685c-f411-11e8-80d0-f7e1948d55f4_story.html

I was very excited to read this headline - I would love a reason to cheer for my president, instead of being angry with him all the time.

If she doesn’t end up imprisoned...

and what’s with the kiid and kiiid doppelgängers?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #6722 on: November 30, 2018, 11:01:57 AM »

I’ve found kiidcarter8’s confidence in a Trump dynasty to be curious.  Where does this come from? 

Their demonstrated competence?  Ivanka used private email to conduct government business after her father conducted an entire campaign excoriating that practice,  then claimed she didn’t know she wasn’t allowed.  No.   Not competent.  Jr. is known for the stupid shit he reposts on twitter, Eric for running a corrupt foundation…none have ever come close to even running for an elected position in government.

The popularity of their father?  Around 40% approval right now, and soon to fall even more (along with his prospects for reelection, should he finish his first term.)  And may have missed it, but the Democrats had their best midterm in history on what was essentially a referendum on Trump.  But I'm sure the kids are electable...

Their sparkling records?  Ivanka and Jr would have been indicted for misleading investors on a project if their father hadn’t intervened.  Ivanka’s husband has, at the very least (and probably more than the least) very shady connections to a corrupt regime in Saudi Arabia that just killed a US Resident and chopped up his body into little pieces.  Jr is about to be charged with lying to congress.

But the Presidency is theirs for the taking, you know, if they want it…

Not into slang, but I think this meets the definition of a “homer.”

« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 11:03:43 AM by NeedsAdjustments »
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #6723 on: November 30, 2018, 11:27:12 AM »

I love Ivanka, she is great, and I have been telling her to send all of the business-women to California, we need to create five hundred thousand new jobs just to catch up from the jobs we lost to China alone.

Here is a post that Ivanka just posted about our new trade deal with Mexico and with Canada, and my response is below her post...

----------

Ivanka Trump posted 2 photos.
2 hrs · Instagram · 
A warm and proud congratulations to POTUS, Ambassador Lighthizer/Team USTR, Jared and so many others whose contributions were critical in reaching a great new trade agreement with our neighbors, Canada and Mexico, that will grow our economies and help our workers flourish! #USMCA

Felicitaciones a POTUS, Embajador Lighthizer/Equipo USTR, Jared y tantos otros cuyas contribuciones fueron críticas para llegar a un gran acuerdo comercial con nuestros vecinos, Canadá 🇨🇦 y Mexico 🇲🇽, que crecerá nuestras economías y empoderará a nuestros trabajadores! #USMCA

------------

New trade deals are very much needed, including with CHINA, and a new trade deal locally with Canada and Mexico is a good start. 

Of note, we need to have a special GOOD NEIGHBOR policy with Mexico and with Canada, and we need to allow our people to travel freely within our nations, and we need to make it easy for Mexicans and Canadians to live in the USA and attend our schools, and work, etc, and we need to give them an easy path to citizenship, etc. And we do not need any walls, we have won two world wars without building any walls, and we do not need any walls now.

Good first step on the local trade deal with our neighbors!

And we especially need a new trade deal with CHINA!

Salute,

Tony V.

barton

« Reply #6724 on: November 30, 2018, 11:40:14 AM »

oilcan

« Reply #6725 on: November 30, 2018, 12:16:48 PM »

https://psyarxiv.com/pv2ab/

All about "competence downshifting."  As I said to my friend LaShondra, "these permutations of patronizing down-translation and verbal reduction prestidigitation must, in the final analysis, be forcefully repudiated as the relics of faux-egalitarian ethos that they truly are."

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6726 on: November 30, 2018, 12:30:04 PM »

I’ve found kiidcarter8’s confidence in a Trump dynasty to be curious.  Where does this come from? 

Their demonstrated competence?  Ivanka used private email to conduct government business after her father conducted an entire campaign excoriating that practice,  then claimed she didn’t know she wasn’t allowed.  No.   Not competent.  Jr. is known for the stupid shit he reposts on twitter, Eric for running a corrupt foundation…none have ever come close to even running for an elected position in government.
It is my fervent hope that if nothing else the governing incompetence of the Trump administration will cure all of us, left and right, of the desire to see rank amateurs as President. The presidency is not an entry level position.

The popularity of their father?  Around 40% approval right now, and soon to fall even more (along with his prospects for reelection, should he finish his first term.)  And may have missed it, but the Democrats had their best midterm in history on what was essentially a referendum on Trump.  But I'm sure the kids are electable...
For 2hat it is worth, the Democrats polled over 8% more than Republicans in congressional races this year. In 2010, which Red will hold up as the sine qua non of shellackings, Repos only got 6.6%.

Their sparkling records?  Ivanka and Jr would have been indicted for misleading investors on a project if their father hadn’t intervened.  Ivanka’s husband has, at the very least (and probably more than the least) very shady connections to a corrupt regime in Saudi Arabia that just killed a US Resident and chopped up his body into little pieces.  Jr is about to be charged with lying to congress.

But the Presidency is theirs for the taking, you know, if they want it…

Not into slang, but I think this meets the definition of a “homer.”
I think the Trumpettez will regret some aspects of their dad's rise to power. There seem to be.a.lot.of things people might otherwise ignored without Trump becoming president.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #6727 on: November 30, 2018, 12:58:29 PM »

It is my fervent hope that if nothing else the governing incompetence of the Trump administration will cure all of us, left and right, of the desire to see rank amateurs as President. The presidency is not an entry level position.

Personally, while it shouldn’t be their first elected position, I’d still be open to considering a relative amateur.  POTUS  doesn’t have to be open only to Governors or five term Senators.   Obama’s inexperience was overstated by his critics but his first job in an executive position was indeed the presidency, and we haven’t had a more competently run administration in my lifetime.

My problem with Trump was never his inexperience, but his immorality, ignorance and laziness.  He doesn’t know anything, has no interest in putting in the effort in getting to know it, and ultimately the decisions he makes will be what is right for him, not the country.  In an interview he referred to tariffs as “interest rates” was corrected, and two sentences later goes right back to calling them “interest rates” again.  The guy just isn’t smart.

A moral and competent person getting their advice from other competent and experienced advisors can, I think, be trusted to make decisions for the nation.   Trump spends 8 hours a day getting his policy advice from FOX news.  He is the opposite of all those things. 

I do hope we can put aside what is the very American idea that being a successful business man qualifies you for a leadership position in government.  Not that Trump meets that qualification either. But that was the selling point to the rubes.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #6728 on: November 30, 2018, 01:15:33 PM »

George Washington kept slaves for virtually all of his life...317 on his property when he died.

Upper hypocrisy to tear down statues of Robert E Lee and not tear down statues of George Washington.

If I were a Black man in America with the name Washington I'd be changing it quick smart as soon as I could.
George Washington is not honored by statues because he led military forces against the United States in a rebellion fraught and designed to perpetuate slavery.
Neither did Lee.

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #6729 on: November 30, 2018, 01:58:59 PM »

George Washington kept slaves for virtually all of his life...317 on his property when he died.

Upper hypocrisy to tear down statues of Robert E Lee and not tear down statues of George Washington.

If I were a Black man in America with the name Washington I'd be changing it quick smart as soon as I could.
George Washington is not honored by statues because he led military forces against the United States in a rebellion fraught and designed to perpetuate slavery.
Neither did Lee.
Fuck revisionism. That is precisely what he did, allowing for my typing/proofing skills that gave us "fraught " instead of "fought." Every ground for southern secession comes down to slavery. Every one.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6730 on: November 30, 2018, 02:13:32 PM »

Here is a post that Ivanka just posted about our new trade deal with Mexico and with Canada, and my response is below her post...

New trade deals are very much needed, including with CHINA, and a new trade deal locally with Canada and Mexico is a good start.

Of note, we need to have a special GOOD NEIGHBOR policy with Mexico and with Canada, and we need to allow our people to travel freely within our nations, and we need to make it easy for Mexicans and Canadians to live in the USA and attend our schools, and work, etc, and we need to give them an easy path to citizenship, etc. And we do not need any walls, we have won two world wars without building any walls, and we do not need any walls now.

Have you bothered reading the differences between NAFTA and the "new"trade deal, Tony?

I believe in actually comparing documents before lauding one over another.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6731 on: November 30, 2018, 02:15:45 PM »

Neither did Lee.

Bullshit, as ever, Redd.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #6732 on: November 30, 2018, 02:25:20 PM »

How perfectly predictable is it that after all their cries of voter fraud over the counting of absentee ballots, that the one candidate who could have very possibly benefited from fraudulent absentee balloting is a Republican:

http://www.wfae.org/post/nc-board-elections-votes-hold-december-public-hearing-potential-fraud

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #6733 on: November 30, 2018, 02:37:37 PM »

Have you bothered reading the differences between NAFTA and the "new"trade deal, Tony?

Trump Just Ripped Up Nafta. Here’s What’s in the New Deal.
Changes for automakers, dairy farmers, labor unions and large corporations headline the renegotiated U.S.M.C.A., which is poised to replace Nafta.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/01/business/trump-nafta-usmca-differences.html

--------------

California is going to win in every aspect of the new trade deal, including with California wine and California cheese. 

Unions are also going to win with the new trade deal, as will financiers, which will help to create more good paying union jobs, so the Middle Class is going to win big.

It looks like a good job done by the Trump team on this project, now we need to move on to the big trade deal with China. 

Salute,

Tony V. 

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #6734 on: November 30, 2018, 02:43:26 PM »

Trump Just Ripped Up Nafta. Here’s What’s in the New Deal.
Changes for automakers, dairy farmers, labor unions and large corporations headline the renegotiated U.S.M.C.A., which is poised to replace Nafta.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/01/business/trump-nafta-usmca-differences.html

--------------

California is going to win in every aspect of the new trade deal, including with California wine and California cheese.

Unions are also going to win with the new trade deal, as will financiers, which will help to create more good paying union jobs, so the Middle Class is going to win big.

It looks like a good job done by the Trump team on this project, now we need to move on to the big trade deal with China.

Salute,

Tony V.
Most of the provisions you like were already negotiated before Trump took office.  The car and dairy provisions were essentially identical to what was in the TPP. The only rely new thing is the unpronounceable acronym.
Pages: 1 ... 447 448 [449] 450 451 ... 4288