Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1607290 times)

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #6735 on: November 30, 2018, 03:19:22 PM »

How perfectly predictable is it that after all their cries of voter fraud over the counting of absentee ballots, that the one candidate who could have very possibly benefited from fraudulent absentee balloting is a Republican:

http://www.wfae.org/post/nc-board-elections-votes-hold-december-public-hearing-potential-fraud

More info (for those smart enough to get past the pay wall)

The board is collecting sworn statements from voters in rural Bladen County, near the South Carolina border, who described people coming to their doors and urging them to hand over their absentee ballots, sometimes without filling them out. Others described receiving absentee ballots by mail that they had not requested. It is illegal to take someone else’s ballot and turn it in.

Among the allegations is that an individual who worked for the Harris campaign coordinated the effort to fill in, or discard, the ballots of Democratic voters who might have otherwise voted for McCready. Several of the affidavits come from elderly African-American voters.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/nc-election-officials-plan-hearing-over-fraud-concerns-in-us-house-race-raising-possibility-of-new-election/2018/11/30/d1fc0450-f4b7-11e8-aeea-b85fd44449f5_story.html?fbclid=IwAR3CW69BINlJd7Za1tEVpwNwTen80gmc2DJTE7zSzhFItJd94nvTe2qSoXM&noredirect=on&utm_term=.ab558c39d6f2

Republicans think fraud is rampant on the other side because hey "if we are doing it, surely they are too."

Though to be fair, the Harris campaign may have done this in the primaries too.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #6736 on: November 30, 2018, 03:31:06 PM »

George Washington kept slaves for virtually all of his life...317 on his property when he died.

Upper hypocrisy to tear down statues of Robert E Lee and not tear down statues of George Washington.

If I were a Black man in America with the name Washington I'd be changing it quick smart as soon as I could.
George Washington is not honored by statues because he led military forces against the United States in a rebellion fraught and designed to perpetuate slavery.
Neither did Lee.
Fuck revisionism. That is precisely what he did, allowing for my typing/proofing skills that gave us "fraught " instead of "fought." Every ground for southern secession comes down to slavery. Every one.
The revisionism is yours.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #6737 on: November 30, 2018, 03:35:50 PM »

George Washington kept slaves for virtually all of his life...317 on his property when he died.

Upper hypocrisy to tear down statues of Robert E Lee and not tear down statues of George Washington.

If I were a Black man in America with the name Washington I'd be changing it quick smart as soon as I could.
George Washington is not honored by statues because he led military forces against the United States in a rebellion fraught and designed to perpetuate slavery.
Neither did Lee.

Have a seat, fool.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #6738 on: November 30, 2018, 03:37:09 PM »

How perfectly predictable is it that after all their cries of voter fraud over the counting of absentee ballots, that the one candidate who could have very possibly benefited from fraudulent absentee balloting is a Republican:

http://www.wfae.org/post/nc-board-elections-votes-hold-december-public-hearing-potential-fraud

Yeah, but Voter ID!
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #6739 on: November 30, 2018, 04:16:57 PM »

Lyndon Johnson

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #6740 on: November 30, 2018, 05:01:12 PM »

LOL!  Ouch...

PM Shinzo Abe of Japan to Trump just now at G20: "I want to congratulate you on your historic victory in the midterm election in the United States."
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6741 on: November 30, 2018, 05:18:15 PM »

Neither did Lee.
Fuck revisionism. That is precisely what he did, allowing for my typing/proofing skills that gave us "fraught " instead of "fought." Every ground for southern secession comes down to slavery. Every one.
Nope. Slavery and the preservation of slavery was the root of.everything and they were clear about it at the time.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #6742 on: November 30, 2018, 05:18:26 PM »

LOL!  Ouch...

PM Shinzo Abe of Japan to Trump just now at G20: "I want to congratulate you on your historic victory in the midterm election in the United States."

Shade...

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #6743 on: November 30, 2018, 05:18:37 PM »

Neither did Lee.
  There are few, I believe, in this enlightened age, who will not acknowledge that slavery as an institution is a moral and political evil. It is idle to expatiate on its disadvantages. I think it is a greater evil to the white than to the colored race. While my feelings are strongly enlisted in behalf of the latter, my sympathies are more deeply engaged for the former. The blacks are immeasurably better off here than in Africa, morally, physically, and socially. The painful discipline they are undergoing is necessary for their further instruction as a race, and will prepare them, I hope, for better things. How long their servitude may be necessary is known and ordered by a merciful Providence.

Their emancipation will sooner result from the mild and melting influences of Christianity than from the storm and tempest of fiery controversy. This influence, though slow, is sure. The doctrines and miracles of our Saviour have required nearly two thousand years to convert but a small portion of the human race, and even among Christian nations what gross errors still exist! While we see the course of the final abolition of human slavery is still onward, and give it the aid of our prayers, let us leave the progress as well as the results in the hands of Him who, chooses to work by slow influences, and with whom a thousand years are but as a single day.”   
  - Lee,  in 1856 letter to wife.

But years later, in 1866, one former slave at Arlington House, Wesley Norris, gave his testimony to the National Anti-Slavery Standard. Mr. Norris said that he and others at Arlington were indeed told by Mr. Custis they would be freed upon his death, but that Lee had told them to stay for five more years.

So Mr. Norris said he, a sister and a cousin tried to escape in 1859, but were caught. “We were tied firmly to posts by a Mr. Gwin, our overseer, who was ordered by Gen. Lee to strip us to the waist and give us fifty lashes each, excepting my sister, who received but twenty,” he said.

And when the overseer declined to wield the lash, a constable stepped up, Mr. Norris said. He added that Lee had told the constable to “lay it on well.”

Dr. Foner said that after the war, Lee did not support rights for black citizens, such as the right to vote, and was largely silent about violence perpetrated by white supremacists during Reconstruction   
-- NYT,  8-18-2017 (in article on Lee's letter of 1858 to the NYT)

barton

« Reply #6744 on: November 30, 2018, 05:34:28 PM »

(more)

In January 1865, several months before the end of the war, Lee wrote that he believed “the relation of master and slave, controlled by humane laws and influenced by Christianity and an enlightened public sentiment [was] the best that can exist between the white and black races…”   

https://medium.com/@reevesjw/five-myths-about-robert-e-lee-d9d6fa331aa

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6745 on: November 30, 2018, 06:34:36 PM »

LOL!  Ouch...

With the sheer volume of crime and dirty tricks deployed across hundreds of jurisdictions to keep the GOP within 10% nationally, it’s easy to be impressed.

Imagine if they put a 1/10 of that energy into helping constituents. They’d be almost as popular as Democrats.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #6746 on: November 30, 2018, 06:48:43 PM »

Neither did Lee.
Nope. Slavery and the preservation of slavery was the root of.everything and they were clear about it at the time.
I hope you hit the law books harder than you did the history books.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6747 on: November 30, 2018, 06:52:09 PM »

Neither did Lee.

The proof that you are wrong has been presented here more than once.

The ongoing failure on your part to counter it when presented, then to deny it exists the next time the topic comes up, while showing perseverance, is otherwise a waste of perfectly good electrons.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6748 on: November 30, 2018, 06:55:28 PM »

Neither did Lee.
I hope you hit the law books harder than you did the history books.

I hope you hit the floor less hard than it seems you hit the bottle.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6749 on: November 30, 2018, 08:16:13 PM »

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/419208-pence-posts-photo-with-law-enforcement-officer-wearing-qanon-patch

Do your police allow non-police patches on their uniforms?

Is encouraging this level of conspiracy theory Pence's notion of a good idea?

And if there's nothing wrong with it, then why take it down and replace it w/ Q-less pic?
Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 4288