Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 468 469 [470] 471 472 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1584545 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #7035 on: December 09, 2018, 04:49:44 PM »

No one ever put it better than Micheal Ray Richardson:

“The ship be sinking.”

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #7036 on: December 09, 2018, 05:33:12 PM »

So a 74 years old song( Oscar winner to boot) Baby It’s Cold Outside now somehow  promotes “ date rape” to some in the @# metoo crowd?
In the PC world running amok is the only way to run.

barton

« Reply #7037 on: December 09, 2018, 06:14:20 PM »

So a 74 years old song( Oscar winner to boot) Baby It’s Cold Outside now somehow  promotes “ date rape” to some in the @# metoo crowd?

In this case,  I have to agree that this was an absurd overreach.   The song conjures a different time in our history,  when Dean Martin making amorous overtures was not interpreted as a sinister preamble to rape.   If people can't figure out historical context and come unglued over everything non PC in an old song or movie or story,  then we've really lost the value and nuances of cultural memory.   FFS,  MeTooers, get a grip and focus on the real PRESENT DAY problems of workplace harassment.   

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #7038 on: December 09, 2018, 06:30:54 PM »

French protests continue.
Macron to address the Nation Monday night.

Do you hear the people sing?
Singing the songs of angry men?
It is the music of the people
Who will not be slaves again!
When the beating of your heart
Echoes the beating of the drums
There is a life about to start
When tomorrow comes!

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #7039 on: December 09, 2018, 07:03:36 PM »

The UNICEF workers are all women, and they are raising the boys to be nerds and sissies. One worker just showed a photo of a boy who was bullied, and they enrolled him in an academics club which promoted healthy self esteem and "dignity." And they showed a picture of a 13 year old boy dressed like a little nerd. UNICEF needs more men to volunteer and work with the children. I told them to teach the boys boxing, and martial arts, and I told them to show the boys old Bruce Lee movies, and the "Rocky" movies, etc. 

When a school bully picked on me as a child, my Uncle Dennis taught me how to box, and I beat up the bully. And over the years I have been able to defend other people. I hate it when some children bully other children, and I always stood up against the bullies.

It is great that the children are learning academics, and teach them Shakespeare as well, etc, but also teach the boys the manly things, men are expected to be providers and protectors, and God made man bigger so that he can defend women and children. I do not mean to be sexist, but a man needs to be able to protect his family, etc, and it all begins as a child when he learns to defend himself against the bullies, and as he learns how to defend his friends, and as he learns to defend his little brother, and little sister, etc.

UNICEF is great, but they need to employ more men to teach the boys the manly stuff, and the boys need to learn boxing, and martial arts, etc.

Salute,

Tony V. 

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #7040 on: December 09, 2018, 07:32:34 PM »

In this case,  I have to agree that this was an absurd overreach.   The song conjures a different time in our history,  when Dean Martin making amorous overtures was not interpreted as a sinister preamble to rape.   If people can't figure out historical context and come unglued over everything non PC in an old song or movie or story,  then we've really lost the value and nuances of cultural memory.   FFS,  MeTooers, get a grip and focus on the real PRESENT DAY problems of workplace harassment.

Ya know, with all the cartoon characters in the culture notice you don’t see Pepe LePew anymore? Or Speedy Gonzales?

Times change, yo. It can’t hurt to take “your lips say no but your eyes say YES!” out of the culture.

There’s a reason folks want to remove monuments to the Confederacy.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #7041 on: December 09, 2018, 11:58:46 PM »

Not all centrists are in favor of out of control immigration. More for the radical left wing as a way to reinvent communism by destroying the capitalistic base.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7043 on: December 10, 2018, 12:07:58 AM »

Not all centrists are in favor of out of control immigration. More for the radical left wing as a way to reinvent communism by destroying the capitalistic base.

zzzzzzzzzzzz
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7044 on: December 10, 2018, 01:35:04 AM »

States with a smaller population than Los Angeles County:

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7045 on: December 10, 2018, 02:51:38 AM »

“Out of control immigration” and “radical terrorists” is how 9 out of 10 murderous dictators have seized or consolidated power in the last two decades.

It takes a lot of undocumented workers to keep the trumps in gilded toilet bowls.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7046 on: December 10, 2018, 07:33:28 AM »

Ya know, with all the cartoon characters in the culture notice you don’t see Pepe LePew anymore? Or Speedy Gonzales?

Times change, yo. It can’t hurt to take “your lips say no but your eyes say YES!” out of the culture.

There’s a reason folks want to remove monuments to the Confederacy.
I had the same thought while watching my DVD of Song of the South.

I suppose I should note that the song's two parts are not gender specific - they are labeled "Wolf" and "Mouse" z and the second time it is sung in Neptune's Daughter - the song won an Oscar for that movie - Betty Garrett sung the Wolf Part and Red Skelton was the Mouse. The song has not aged well.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

barton

« Reply #7047 on: December 10, 2018, 09:25:42 AM »

Larry,  Boswell,

Somehow Bing and Doris singing about a cold weather seduction didn't go to the level of statues of slavers or racist stereotyped speedy rodents.   While the song may not age well,  it doesn't seem worth banning from a radio station that I presume plays lots of oldies.   The subtext of date rape strikes me as a subtext imposed from the present and not actually about Bing preparing to administer a roofie and commit rape.   

Just saying, at some point we have to decide we're not a society where everyone scrutinizes everything people say or every work of art for possible offense.   That would be a society of Orwellian grimness and historical blindness.   
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 09:27:13 AM by Barton »

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #7048 on: December 10, 2018, 09:57:32 AM »

I’m ok with people “running amok” when the intention is to combat sexism, sexual harassment, and assault.  However that effort may overreach, I can live with that.

I cannot live with politicians whose running amok entails criminal actions that are only part of their efforts to weaken our Democracy so that they may be elected with the purpose of further self-enrichment and corrupt alignment of what was once a beacon for good in the world with the likes of Russia and Saudi-Arabia.  That is the kind of running amok that concerns me.  Partly, but not only because, the leader of that effort is himself a confessed sexual assaulter.

I can understand why, for purely partisan reasons, your priorities are different.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #7049 on: December 10, 2018, 09:58:35 AM »

I personally find gripes about "Baby, It's Cold Outside" to be just plain silly and I don't even like the song. 
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan
Pages: 1 ... 468 469 [470] 471 472 ... 4288