Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 493 494 [495] 496 497 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1583785 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #7410 on: December 18, 2018, 12:03:02 AM »

Quote from: josh link=topic=55.msg78276#msg78276 date

Same old DimWard: anti-democractic, racism apologist liar.
Racism apologist ?
Want to explain that?
You apologize for racism and for those that have no respect for democracy when the vote goes against them. I realize you have trouble with simple English but even you should have gotten that.
I understand your definition of a racist is anyone who disagrees with you. Without personal insults you have nothing to say.

I understand that you refuse to address the specific issues, as I predicted.

Lie, deny, and obfuscate.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7411 on: December 18, 2018, 12:03:51 AM »

I certainly wouldn't want to post someplace where people think me a racist or an apologist for racists.
thats the difference between me and you.  I’m not running away from false accusers.

If there were any, that is.

But there aren't. You are the only false one in this discussion.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7412 on: December 18, 2018, 12:08:44 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/17/politics/donald-trump-rudy-giuliani-robert-mueller/index.html

GIULIANI: "And the Southern District says you can get out of jail if you do this, you've got three years now. There's a real motivation to sing like crazy. He's got to do a lot of singing to get out of the three years and he will say whatever he has to say. He's changed his story four or five times."

STEPHANOPOULOS: "So has the President."

GIULIANI: "The President's not under oath. And the President tried to do the best he can to remember what happened back at a time when he was the busiest man in the world."

We should be okay with Trump's lying all the time.

Given that he lies more in a year than any previous president (Nixon included) in any four year term, we should just be used to it, right?

He even lies more than DimWard does.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7413 on: December 18, 2018, 12:38:37 AM »

Meanwhile, in Maine, another sore loser tries to overturn the people's will, though differently than Walker just did in Wisconsin.

https://bangordailynews.com/2018/12/17/politics/poliquin-appeals-ruling-that-rejected-his-legal-challenge-to-ranked-choice-voting/

The Federal judge ruled against him, point by point, refuting not just the arguments but some of the claims of underlying facts, like folks who only voted for one candidate were somehow denied their voting rights.

It's predicted that he won't fair better in the 1st Circuit Court of Appeals because they are liberal - but it also looks like they won't do better with SCOTUS: the judge who just ruled last week against Poliquin was a Trump appointee.

It may be that the only type of judge that would take Poliquin would be himself, were he ever on the bench.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7414 on: December 18, 2018, 01:08:39 AM »

How much more winning can you take, Kiiid?!

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/17/investing/stock-market-today-dow/index.html

The Dow fell 508 points, or 2.1%. The S&P 500 lost 2.1% and retreated to its lowest level of the year. And the Nasdaq joined the Dow & S&P 500 in negative territory for 2018. All three indexes have plunged nearly 8% so far this December.

And the Russell 2000 index of small-cap stocks tumbled into a bear market, marking a decline of more than 20% from the record highs notched in late August.

It feels like only yesterday that I reported the Dow was at its lowest since sometime in May.

Now it's since March 23rd, and less than 60 points above that low for the year. The drop has averaged 1000+ per month. The climb going into the September peak has been greater than the drop so far - it would take another six months at that rate to return us to the 2016 election's level.

That couldn't happen on Trump's watch, could it?!

For context, this starts in response to a question "about Xi's consolidation of power, compared with Trump entering China, with Xi coming off a very successful run":

"Excuse me, so am I. Highest stock market in history, lowest unemployment in 17 years, a military that's rapidly rebuilding, ISIS is virtually defeated in the Middle East. We are coming off some of the strongest numbers we've ever had, and he knows that and he respects that and he's a friend of mine. We're friends.

"Now, with that being said, he represents China, I represent the United States. But we're going in with tremendous strength. We're going in with a stock market that's higher than ever before. We literally Friday closed at the highest point in the history of the stock market. You look at the unemployment numbers—we picked up 5.5 trillion dollars since my election in market value. These are tremendous numbers. Whether it's China or anybody else, these are massive numbers."

Then Trump is asked how he wants China to view the U.S. at the end of the trip:

"Well I think he's viewing us very, very strong, and also very friendly. But we have to do better with trade with China, because it's a one-way street right now and it has been for many years. And we will.

"But the reason our stock market is so successful is because of me. I've always been great with money, I've always been great with jobs, that's what I do. And I've done it well, I've done it really well, much better than people understand and they understand I've done well. But we have a tremendous amount of strength because of what's happened. You know, think of it -- $5.5 trillion worth of value.

It's because of him.

(The latter set of quotes is from November 2017, in Axios.)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 01:12:43 AM by josh »

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #7415 on: December 18, 2018, 03:57:23 AM »

Trump can pardon himself;

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/can-trump-pardon-himself/ar-BBR6zkE?li=AAgfYrC&OCID=AVRES000

On June 4, President Donald Trump tweeted, “As has been stated by numerous legal scholars, I have the absolute right to PARDON myself, but why would I do that when I have done nothing wrong?”

#####

Well there you go.
Game over.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7416 on: December 18, 2018, 05:21:51 AM »

Things are as true because Individual 1 tweets them as they are when you post about something. If the two of you wrote things down on paper they’d at least have value as something to wipe your ass with. Now you just spew noise from the bad end of the continuum.

I’m looking forward to seeing Reince, Mike Pompeo, Mike Pence, and Don McGahn sweating in front of microphones figuring out how to reply to the extensive list of pointed and probing questions posed by inquisitive Congresspeople intent on getting the whole truth. It was nice of the Senate and the Southern District to lay out such explicit road maps to the nexus of organizational corruption and overt criminal acts.

The Bannon and Parscalle chapters haven’t been written yet. Cambridge Analytica is going to be among the most benign operations embroiled in this mess. I won’t be surprised to see the young go getter Ayers elbow deep in this cookie jar as well, making kissy face with Jared and anyone else on that tier who needed a fluff.

Who put party or power or money above country and for what?

The Bibi link is going to be unfortunately very very weird.

At times like this crackers should retreat to the vast Australia of the mind.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kiiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #7417 on: December 18, 2018, 07:27:51 AM »

Predictably, now the market becomes the be all and tell all of Trump's economy.

Heh.

Morning Joe embarrassingly starts with "after Obama had the economy in such great shape...."

No shame.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #7418 on: December 18, 2018, 07:37:22 AM »

Yep. The economy is kicking was and taking names. You got a new car last year!
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #7419 on: December 18, 2018, 07:58:39 AM »

Sounds like he's not the one who is baked.

He's got a "bad grasp on the big picture", as Don Henley put it.

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #7420 on: December 18, 2018, 08:00:13 AM »

I certainly wouldn't want to post someplace where people think me a racist or an apologist for racists.

Unless you were part of the Russian spy network set up to do just that.

Which I doubt.

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #7421 on: December 18, 2018, 08:09:43 AM »

Heh.

Morning Joe embarrassingly starts with "after Obama had the economy in such great shape...."

No shame.

Over the span of the Obama years I reaped 11% return on my investments, which are somewhat conservative in nature. 

Trump has a real issue, and the GOP will reap what he's sewed, which is more debt, rising interest rates in the face of that debt, and a revamped tax system that is designed to ride the backs of the middle class and ease the "burden" on the top 5%.

So, invest in consumer staples, because everyone still needs toothpaste, shampoo, and toilet paper, and in Disney, because everyone will need entertainment to distract them from the shitstorm that is making landfall on the shores of their 401K.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #7422 on: December 18, 2018, 08:56:46 AM »

Heh.

No shame.

Predictably, you only discredit the market as an indicator of Trump's economy when it is in freefall.  Its Trump who touted the market as evidence of his masterful stewardship.  You can try to have it both ways, kiidcarter8, but doesn't mean we will let you.

And yes, Obama did have the economy in good shape.  As Trump would tell you if he were honest, as he was touting increases in GDP and employment growth that were continuation of Obama era trends.

Meanwhile, what has Tariff Man done?  He's spent $1.5 Trillion on tax cuts for the already wealthy with little discernible benefit to the economy.  It has led to record buybacks which are artificially floating stock prices, while the bond markets are predicting that we've already seen the best of this cycle and some are predicting a recession as early as next year.  Trump's tariffs?  Auto plant closings, and giving tens of billions on farmers who are getting killed by totally predictable and Trump-caused retaliation.  And to top it all off, a ballooning deficit accrued over a period of economic expansion that will make us less capable of recovering when the recession hits.

Winning!
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #7423 on: December 18, 2018, 09:54:52 AM »

Heh.

No shame.

Predictably, you only discredit the market as an indicator of Trump's economy when it is in freefall.  Its Trump who touted the market as evidence of his masterful stewardship.  You can try to have it both ways, kiidcarter8, but doesn't mean we will let you.

And yes, Obama did have the economy in good shape.  As Trump would tell you if he were honest, as he was touting increases in GDP and employment growth that were continuation of Obama era trends.

Meanwhile, what has Tariff Man done?  He's spent $1.5 Trillion on tax cuts for the already wealthy with little discernible benefit to the economy.  It has led to record buybacks which are artificially floating stock prices, while the bond markets are predicting that we've already seen the best of this cycle and some are predicting a recession as early as next year.  Trump's tariffs?  Auto plant closings, and giving tens of billions on farmers who are getting killed by totally predictable and Trump-caused retaliation.  And to top it all off, a ballooning deficit accrued over a period of economic expansion that will make us less capable of recovering when the recession hits.

Winning!

Nearly half of US CFOs fear a 2019 recession

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/12/economy/recession-economy-cfos-duke/index.html

America's finance chiefs fear the economic expansion is nearly over.

Almost half (48.6%) of US chief financial officers believe the United States will be in recession by the end of next year, according to the Duke University/CFO Global Business Outlook survey released on Wednesday.

And 82% of CFOs surveyed by Duke believe that a recession will begin by the end of 2020.

"The end is near for the near-decade-long burst of global economic growth," Duke finance professor John Graham said in a statement.

The CFO survey's pessimism about 2019 will raise eyebrows because mainstream economists are still projecting steady, albeit slower, growth next year...

Last week, S&P Global Ratings warned "signs of cooling could be emerging" in the US economy. The credit ratings firm raised its odds of a recession in the next 12 months to a range of 15% to 20%, up from 10% to 15% in August.

"This cycle is either in -- or fast approaching -- its latter stages," S&P said.

But...but....those tax cuts...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 09:57:45 AM by NeedsAdjustments »
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

barton

« Reply #7424 on: December 18, 2018, 11:50:45 AM »

Trump "charity" to be dissolved.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-agrees-to-shut-down-his-charity-amid-allegations-he-used-it-for-personal-and-political-benefit/2018/12/18/dd3f5030-021b-11e9-9122-82e98f91ee6f_story.html?utm_term=.13fd2cf843c0

Underwood said Tuesday that her investigation found “a shocking pattern of illegality involving the Trump Foundation — including unlawful coordination with the Trump presidential campaign, repeated and willful self-dealing, and much more.”

My only editorial quibble with that quote might be the word "shocking." 
Pages: 1 ... 493 494 [495] 496 497 ... 4288