Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 524 525 [526] 527 528 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1600681 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #7875 on: December 31, 2018, 02:24:56 PM »

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2017/5/10/15589038/top-100-solutions-climate-change-ranked?utm_campaign=vox.social&utm_content=voxdotcom&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

This is about a new book that looks at ways to curtail climate change.

I believe some of these would meet with DimBulb's approval as well as mine.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7877 on: December 31, 2018, 03:00:49 PM »

https://ucommblog.com/section/national-politics/trump-proposes-ending-federal-pensions

Trump proposes ending federal pensions  among other things.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7878 on: December 31, 2018, 03:18:28 PM »

Of course, it is true. The majority of federal employees are members of the Democratic Party.

But Trump is wrong that that plus the furlough would be reason enough vote for the Wall and give in to Trump's blackmail. Among other things, if they did that, what would stop Trump from going to the shutdown every fucking time he wanted something?

kiiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #7879 on: December 31, 2018, 03:22:17 PM »

https://ucommblog.com/section/national-politics/trump-proposes-ending-federal-pensions

Trump proposes ending federal pensions  among other things.

Yeah...just 24 months left...gotta get crackin.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7880 on: December 31, 2018, 04:54:12 PM »

No winners in our poll. Closer to below 23k than above 24k, but today finished up, not down.

Bets on what it does, overall, in 2019? Will the DJIA beat its 2018 high or its 2018 low? Both? Neither?

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
2019 Predictions
« Reply #7881 on: December 31, 2018, 05:21:07 PM »

Besides the DJIA, what are your predictions for 2019.

Yeah, silliness abounds in these things, but give it a straight shot if you can.

How long will the shutdown last?

Will the Dems pass $5 million or will Trump let something through without that or will the Dems get enough GOP votes to override a presidential veto? With McConnell insisting that he will bring no bill to the floor that Trump won't sign, it could be a long shutdown.

Will the US troops leave Syria any time soon?

Will Florida respect the vote of the people on re-enfranchising felons?

Will a court overthrow the Wisconsin law that reduces the governor's power the way that the North Carolina law got rejected?

Will SCOTUS embrace the notion of excessively politically gerrymandered districts or reject it or apply it selectively?

Will the newer extreme anti-abortion laws get traction? Will it revert to state-by-state laws?

Will the economy hit a recession, as it has following every other period of wild gyrations in the stock market or is this a false positive?

What will happen in the three gubernatorial races of 2019 and their respective state legislatures?

Will Putin continue expansionist policies?

How will the U.S. handle Russia's plans to build a base in the Caribbean?

Will Kim Jong Un's nuclear plans continue apace or will he back off them?

Does Brexit get cancelled or does it happen?

Can Brazil get its act together?

How many Democratic Party candidates will we see?

Will any serious (i.e. realistic) efforts spring up in 2019 to defeat President Trump's reelection campaign?

Does Robert Mueller either bring charges against the President or release a report, sans indictment, that spells out specific wrongdoing by him? Does it involve collusion with the Russians?

How many more charges does he file, beyond those already in play?

Does Mike Pence (who has had an attorney for this stuff for a while now) suddenly appear to have a target on his back, legally or will he continue to appear largely uninvolved?

Will the American people see House hearings as Trump wishes them to or as the Democrats would like them to?

Other COTUS cases we know are pending in 2019?

World War I memorial and separation of church and state;

Citizenship on the 2020 Census forms;

The block on undoing DACA;

The block on eliminating transgender people in the military;

How much deferrence by courts to federal agencies is appropriate in deciding legal challenges to ambiguous regulations;

Why do I feel as if I have fallen into a giant Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman episode?!

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

barton

« Reply #7883 on: December 31, 2018, 05:53:34 PM »

Removed the giant cartoon.   SM boards are fussy about html sizing instructions, I'll figure it out in 2019.  Bruce MacKinnon,  of Halifax's Chronicle Herald is great, if you get the chance.  See his Dec. 14 toon on brexit.

Many conundra,  Josh.   I predict alien anthropologists will land and begin asking questions like,  why do we grow grass and then throw away the crop we harvest with our mowers.   

With Kelly gone,  I'm not sure there's anyone to restrain Trump from escalating levels of insane acting out.  So I think impeachment becomes more likely,  as reality seeps ever so slowly into some GOP brainpans.   

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 Predictions
« Reply #7884 on: December 31, 2018, 06:05:13 PM »

Besides the DJIA, what are your predictions for 2019.

Yeah, silliness abounds in these things, but give it a straight shot if you can.

How long will the shutdown last? MID JANUARY

Will the Dems pass $5 million or will Trump let something through without that or will the Dems get enough GOP votes to override a presidential veto? With McConnell insisting that he will bring no bill to the floor that Trump won't sign, it could be a long shutdown. TRUMP WILL CALL AN INCREASE IN SECURITY FUNDING THE CONTINUES TO PROVIDE FOR FENCING REPAIRS A WALL.

Will the US troops leave Syria any time soon? TRUMP WILL BACK DOWN AGAIN.

Will Florida respect the vote of the people on re-enfranchising felons? IN THE MOST LIMITED WAY POSSIBLE

Will a court overthrow the Wisconsin law that reduces the governor's power the way that the North Carolina law got rejected? YES

Will SCOTUS embrace the notion of excessively politically gerrymandered districts or reject it or apply it selectively? REJECT

Will the newer extreme anti-abortion laws get traction? Will it revert to state-by-state laws? UNTIL THE NEW.COURT RULES.

Will the economy hit a recession, as it has following every other period of wild gyrations in the stock market or is this a false positive? RECESSION

What will happen in the three gubernatorial races of 2019 and their respective state legislatures?

Will Putin continue expansionist policies? YES

How will the U.S. handle Russia's plans to build a base in the Caribbean? THA K YOU SIR MAY I HAVE ANOTHER

Will Kim Jong Un's nuclear plans continue apace or will he back off them? CONTINUE

Does Brexit get cancelled or does it happen? CANCEL

Can Brazil get its act together? NO

How many Democratic Party candidates will we see? <20

Will any serious (i.e. realistic) efforts spring up in 2019 to defeat President Trump's reelection campaign? REPOS? NO. MAYBE FLAKE

Does Robert Mueller either bring charges against the President or release a report, sans indictment, that spells out specific wrongdoing by him? Does it involve collusion with the Russians? NO YES YES

How many more charges does he file, beyond those already in play? >5 PEOPLE

Does Mike Pence (who has had an attorney for this stuff for a while now) suddenly appear to have a target on his back, legally or will he continue to appear largely uninvolved? LARGELY UNINVOLVED

Will the American people see House hearings as Trump wishes them to or as the Democrats would like them to? DESMS

Other COTUS cases we know are pending in 2019?

World War I memorial and separation of church and state;

Citizenship on the 2020 Census forms;

The block on undoing DACA;

The block on eliminating transgender people in the military;

How much deferrence by courts to federal agencies is appropriate in deciding legal challenges to ambiguous regulations;

Why do I feel as if I have fallen into a giant Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman episode?!
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #7885 on: December 31, 2018, 08:07:06 PM »

I am grateful for the mid term election results. Now at least we have a fighting chance and remaining decent. We are good, decent people, who welcome immigrants, and we do not take little children away from their parents and lock little children in cages. 

We also are not going to poison our planet without a fight. And if we are smart we can keep some of the new jobs created by the green economy here in the USA, we can invent the new equipment and we can manufacture it. And France needs jobs too, along with other allies.

I am also against building the wall. It is a racist, bullshit plan, and if it was not racist it would be built on the border with Canada. Trump is racist against people with brown skin. Trump's wife Melania was born in Slovenia, and Ivana was born in the Czech Republic, so obviously Trump is not racist against foreign people with white skin, but for some reason he hates people with brown skin. I personally think that Salma Hayek is hotter than any of the Trump women, along with Shakira, and Sofia Vergara.

On the issue of Ivanka Trump, I like her better than I like her father. Ivanka has been working tirelessly to help our nation, and women and people around the world. And I support women owning and running businesses, I invite them to create jobs here in California. I have had women bosses, including when I worked for Suzanne Pleshette, women make great bosses.

I like the new president in Colombia, President Ivan Duque Marquez, whom attended Harvard, the USA should continue to have good relations with Colombia, and we should expand trade. We have made great strides to reduce the cocaine trade, and now people are more interested in the growing coffee trade. Charities and groups and government programs to educate the children in Colombia are also bearing fruit, and programs need to be expanded in terms of educating the children, etc. Colombia can also be a wonderful ally in terms of handling the situation in Venezuela.

On the issue of Venezuela, we cannot let the children starve. We need to feed the children and people of Venezuela. And the people of Venezuela need to rebuild their economy, and the women can help to create jobs right along with the men, they should all be given small business loans to create jobs, etc. And Venezuela needs to grow more food, and they need to raise more animals for food, and they need to expand fishing, etc, the people of Venezuela need to feed their own nation. And teachers need to go to Venezuela to teach them economics, and business, etc. And Venezuela can expand trade with Australia, etc.

On the issue of the Philippines, the current leader, Duterte, is loved by his people, even though many think that some of his ideas are harsh. The Philippines needs to expand trade with the world, and also they can invite the Greek businesses to invest in companies in the Philippines, etc, the Greeks do not have a big workforce, but they can use the Philippines and the huge workforce in the Philippines. The Philippines can also grow their tourism industry, like Hawaii and Tahiti. I also recommend that American companies hire Filipino immigrants, they are good, hard-working, English speaking, Christian, people, the USA can hire truck drivers from the Philippines, and also Filipino doctors and nurses. The same with Australia, and France, and Italy, they can hire doctors and nurses from the Philippines, and truck drivers, etc, and Filipinos can work in the vineyards too, etc.

In the USA, I expect great things for Nevada. A lot of clean healthy growth has been happening in Nevada. And Nevada is a good place for the new immigrants to come to.

California is bouncing back slowly, California lost over five hundred thousand jobs to China alone, but California is going to be okay because of innovation, education, tourism, etc, etc, etc, along with aerospace and defense, etc, etc, etc, and the movie business, etc, etc, etc.

France is starving right now, and they are desperate, but they will bounce back. They need to renegotiate their trade deals, including with China, and they need to export cologne, perfume, lingerie, clothing, shoes, etc, etc, etc, around the world and especially in China, they need to open China up to French perfume, etc. Also the French can sell wine in China, and globally, and cheese, and French films, etc. 

Italy is doing better than France, and the Italian wine industry is doing great. Italy and France both benefit from tourists. The Italians are very industrious and creative, and their products are always high quality, and Italian products are popular all over the world. Italian exports will sell anywhere people can afford to buy the best, highest quality items, such as Italian suits, Italian shoes, Italian cars, etc, etc, etc.

On the issue of Russia, they all want to be Americans, like the Japanese. They love American clothes, American shoes, American music and American entertainment, etc. Metallica could fill auditoriums in Russia every day of the week. Russians love fast food, and pizza, etc. The Russians are also big in the arts, they helped to invent modern acting, and theatre, as well as making contributions in Ballet, etc. The Russians make good immigrants here in the USA, they are hard workers, and they would be good in places such as Detroit, and Cleveland, etc, and they can handle the cold areas. On the issue of marketing vacations to the Russians, I would recommend offering them vacations in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and also in Australia, as the Russians make more money they will be able to spend more money on vacations and travel. We need to help to guide the Russians in the right direction.

On the issue of China... China needs labor unions which are independent of the government, and the workers of China need fair pay and good treatment. China also need freedom, and democracy, along with improved human rights. It will take wisdom and patience to help China to evolve peacefully, but it can happen, just as with the USSR. And China can be a good ally and friend once they have freedom, democracy, and improved human rights, and once the issues are worked out with trade, etc, etc, etc.

On the issue of California... Democrat Sabrina Cervantes is rising fast as a popular player in state government, and she is helping to bring more jobs to Southern California...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabrina_Cervantes

Those are some thoughts as we end 2018. I wish you all of the best in 2019.

Salute,

Tony V.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7886 on: December 31, 2018, 09:23:08 PM »

Thanks Tony. Happy New Year!
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

barton

« Reply #7887 on: December 31, 2018, 09:32:43 PM »

How long will the shutdown last? MID JANUARY

...or until whenever air traffic control staff say "going home now - back when we see a paycheck. "   

Have a good new year,  everyone.  Just remember:  friends don't let friends vote Republican. 

kiiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #7888 on: December 31, 2018, 10:13:07 PM »

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.
Pages: 1 ... 524 525 [526] 527 528 ... 4288