Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 543 544 [545] 546 547 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1612462 times)

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #8160 on: January 08, 2019, 03:06:06 PM »

I don’t support my arguments, Needs. because I am not arguing.  Unlike some here I don’t feel the need to be agreed with or to appear smarter than someone.

Then you are admitting that your posts here have no value.  It isn’t interesting in and of itself that you a have a stupid opinion.  Lots of people do.  If you were able to articulate reasons and point to facts that support your stupid opinion, now that would be interesting. 

And that you have no requirement for your personal opinions to be based on fact, that tells us all we need about their value.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #8161 on: January 08, 2019, 03:11:09 PM »

Everyone becomes entrenched, feces are flung, and there is no real meeting of minds.  (If you think someone has no mind to meet, then why are you posting to them in the first place?)

It’s a fair question, as I don’t post here expecting anyone’s mind to change.  See my response to kiidcarter8…I see it more as poking and prodding; testing their opinions to see if there is some merit to them.  Unlikely to change my mind, but if I can see there is some truth to their argument I can at least put myself in their shoes, and make better sense of the current state of politics, the world, whatever.

Here, that poking and prodding has never produced that result, so, I guess I should know better than to try.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #8162 on: January 08, 2019, 03:12:49 PM »

I cannot see a good reason for not putting up a fence-wall. Good for the economy and workers. Does prevent illegal migration and FDR is remembered for public building.

Exactly.

All of a sudden they like the New Deal!

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #8163 on: January 08, 2019, 04:01:22 PM »

There is evidence of collusion.  It has only been that the evidence was conclusive, that the collusion hasn't been proven.

The needle on where we are on that line between unproven and proven just moved significantly.

And...worth saying about this...

That anyone telling you "Mueller hasn't found anything..." is full of it.  We have no idea what Mueller has found.  Not a sniff of this contact was leaked, and we know it only now because Manafort's lawyers fucked up.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8164 on: January 08, 2019, 05:11:20 PM »

I wouldn’t say fucked up so much as tipped off other conspirators in a way they’ll try to say was an “oops” at their disbarment proceedings.

Otherwise, I agree with your post.

Trump is getting ready to knock another 2-3 points off his favorability rating with his publicity tour in his deepening shutdown this week. He’s set to lose some more voters he’ll never get back.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

barton

« Reply #8165 on: January 08, 2019, 06:40:07 PM »

And some farmers out here - first the trade war killed some of their soy market,  plus other ag products,  and now they can't collect their subsidy checks (which was supposed to compensate) due to the shutdown. 

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #8166 on: January 08, 2019, 07:19:11 PM »

“and won’t prevent border crossings or drugs”

Heh.  Good one.  Unwrgw
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8167 on: January 08, 2019, 07:36:45 PM »

Heh.  Good one.  Unwrgw

You’re slow. You’re late, but you got there.

It won’t prevent border crossings or drugs. It will serve no useful purpose at all. It may allow you to pretend for a minute that your loser won something, and that your tiny dictator is closer to John Wayne than Jerry Lewis. It’s false and it’s cheap and even you don’t believe it.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #8168 on: January 08, 2019, 07:50:27 PM »

Heh.  Good one.  Unwrgw

It won’t prevent border crossings or drugs. It will serve no useful purpose at all. It may allow you to pretend for a minute that your loser won something, and that your tiny dictator is closer to John Wayne than Jerry Lewis. It’s false and it’s cheap and even you don’t believe it.

Smart take I read today (will try to find it) that basically a reason (the reason) it is so hard to negotiate over the wall is that even hardline anti-immigration people on the Right recognize that it is useless, so don’t want to give up anything valuable to get it.  Trump had a deal for wall money from the Dems in exchange for DACA.  Miller killed it, because he would be giving up something that would have a real impact for something illusory.  Hence the demand to also cut legal immigration by 50%.

And that DACA deal could potentially be on the table now but for some reason isn’t…we know the reason.  If your intent is to prevent foreigners from coming in to the country (legally or illegally) you aren’t going to make concessions for something that doesn’t actually do that.  It’s an admission from the Right that the wall is absurd.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #8169 on: January 08, 2019, 08:00:09 PM »

Heh.  Good one.  Unwrgw

Smart take I read today (will try to find it) that basically a reason (the reason) it is so hard to negotiate over the wall is that even hardline anti-immigration people on the Right recognize that it is useless, so don’t want to give up anything valuable to get it.  Trump had a deal for wall money from the Dems in exchange for DACA.  Miller killed it, because he would be giving up something that would have a real impact for something illusory.  Hence the demand to also cut legal immigration by 50%.

And that DACA deal could potentially be on the table now but for some reason isn’t…we know the reason.  If your intent is to prevent foreigners from coming in to the country (legally or illegally) you aren’t going to make concessions for something that doesn’t actually do that.  It’s an admission from the Right that the wall is absurd.

https://www.vox.com/2018/12/28/18158873/wall-shutdown-trump-dreamers-deal

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8170 on: January 08, 2019, 08:01:46 PM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8171 on: January 08, 2019, 08:04:28 PM »

This is a very good explication of Dunning-Kruger, complete with why the WaPo piece on it was in error.

https://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/misunderstanding-dunning-kruger/
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8172 on: January 08, 2019, 08:24:58 PM »

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/jan/8/stormy-daniels-fold-laundry-her-underwear-instagra/

Alternative programming for the speech, promted by the Wash Times, of all papers!

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #8173 on: January 08, 2019, 08:30:09 PM »

It doesn’t matter how many statistics and facts you present, those fellows on the right have no fucks to give. The fear and hate of the others is what Trump has tapped into and regardless how fucking stupid, venal or criminal he is theyre with him.

Achtung...

”He’s not hurting the people he needs to be hurting.”

—Crystal Minton, Trump supporter from Florida in NYT

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/10/the-cruelty-is-the-point/572104/
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #8174 on: January 08, 2019, 08:33:18 PM »

Awesome. Princess Charlotte Casiraghi of Monaco broke up with her boyfriend, so now I can date her.

Link...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-6569187/Grace-Kellys-granddaughter-Charlotte-Casiraghi-split-fianc-theyre-incompatible.html

Now is my chance.

:)

Salute,

Tony V.
Pages: 1 ... 543 544 [545] 546 547 ... 4288