Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 563 564 [565] 566 567 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1584406 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #8460 on: January 15, 2019, 05:58:54 PM »

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/425377-Trump-shares-article-blasting-federal-workers-calling-for-long-shutdown

That Donnie Jr. thinks he is a high ranking administration official is wry.

That the author thinks firing the furloughed employees and not ever paying them is constitutional is disturbing (let alone the underlying wisdom of the action).

But that our president retweeted it is unfortunate, if unsurprising.
It's not Donnie Jr. who is claiming to be a high-ranking administration official.

Sure enough. Edited. Misread the tweet.

heh
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #8461 on: January 15, 2019, 06:00:22 PM »

Government workers can stay home

Just take those sick and vacation days.
You're okay with restoring them when the shutdown ends?
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #8462 on: January 15, 2019, 06:01:15 PM »

Justice Ginsberg may be more prescient than people give her credit for.

https://pjmedia.com/trending/new-poll-65-percent-of-americans-support-overturning-roe-v-wade/

barton

« Reply #8463 on: January 15, 2019, 06:45:41 PM »

Marist College has become a better poll since they moved away from their former land-line only system.   This poll does usefully show how being pro-choice doesn't necessarily mean being in unqualified support of late-term abortion.   That's why push-polls can garner such divergent results.  You have to ask specific questions to get at people's real thinking.

I meet a lot of pro-choice people who have qualms of conscience about the procedure after the embryo stage is passed and the fetus is closer to viability.  I don't judge - many have strong metaphysical beliefs about the state of consciousness of a later-term fetus.

I just wish that the more restrictive pro-choice position would also encompass improved access to birth control,  sex ed,  and other means to empower and dispel youthful ignorance.   If you REALLY don't like abortion,  then teach young men to respect and support women's choices,  and,  if contraception isn't available in the moment,  then keep it in their pants.   Make that happen and 90% of abortions Just. Don't.  Happen.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #8464 on: January 15, 2019, 06:51:03 PM »

Justice Ginsberg may be more prescient than people give her credit for.

https://pjmedia.com/trending/new-poll-65-percent-of-americans-support-overturning-roe-v-wade/

One wonders if Red reads or understands his links, or would rather just try to mislead on a very nuanced and complex subject.

The KOC/Marist poll found that even though 55 percent of Americans identify as "pro-choice," strong majorities of Americans in each party would restrict abortion to the first three months of pregnancy, or to cases of rape and incest or to save the life of the mother.

A full 60 percent of Democrats, 92 percent of Republicans, and 72 percent of independents support this kind of abortion restriction.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8465 on: January 15, 2019, 06:54:44 PM »

Quite a change from the 71 - 23 against overturning Roe in the NBC/WSJ poll last July. But then, my Brother Knights did not have the question asked that way. Only 16% in that poll wanted to have abortion made illegal. Supporting any restriction at all was viewed as the equivalent of wanting Roe overturned, even though a strong majority of both parties supported abortion. There is an advantage to actually reading beyond headlines.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8466 on: January 15, 2019, 07:10:47 PM »

If Red could read he wouldn’t be so far off the cliff. This may be true of republicans in general.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #8467 on: January 15, 2019, 08:22:35 PM »

Government workers can stay home

Just take those sick and vacation days.
You're okay with restoring them when the shutdown ends?

No

But that is not up to me

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #8468 on: January 15, 2019, 08:34:26 PM »

Marist College has become a better poll since they moved away from their former land-line only system.   This poll does usefully show how being pro-choice doesn't necessarily mean being in unqualified support of late-term abortion.   That's why push-polls can garner such divergent results.  You have to ask specific questions to get at people's real thinking.

I meet a lot of pro-choice people who have qualms of conscience about the procedure after the embryo stage is passed and the fetus is closer to viability.  I don't judge - many have strong metaphysical beliefs about the state of consciousness of a later-term fetus.

I just wish that the more restrictive pro-choice position would also encompass improved access to birth control,  sex ed,  and other means to empower and dispel youthful ignorance.   If you REALLY don't like abortion,  then teach young men to respect and support women's choices,  and,  if contraception isn't available in the moment,  then keep it in their pants.   Make that happen and 90% of abortions Just. Don't.  Happen.

The baby deserves to live if it has survived in the womb for 24 weeks.

But earlier than this - decisions of convenience are fine

Got it.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8469 on: January 15, 2019, 09:12:18 PM »

What the true believers are drinking for Kool-Aid today:

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #8470 on: January 15, 2019, 09:29:46 PM »

We may be reaching the point GOP senators recognize its too late to save their party but not too late to do right by the nation...

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/senate-republicans-rebuke-mcconnell-trump-on-russia-sanctions-resolution
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8471 on: January 15, 2019, 09:52:56 PM »

Gotta keep our essential national services up and running for the sake of the country and those at risk.

Like the hunters...

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/government-restaffs-wildlife-refuges-during-shutdown-to-allow-hunters-access
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #8472 on: January 15, 2019, 10:56:15 PM »

Quite a change from the 71 - 23 against overturning Roe in the NBC/WSJ poll last July. But then, my Brother Knights did not have the question asked that way. Only 16% in that poll wanted to have abortion made illegal. Supporting any restriction at all was viewed as the equivalent of wanting Roe overturned, even though a strong majority of both parties supported abortion. There is an advantage to actually reading beyond headlines.
Which you didn't do.
Overturning Roe v. Wade is not the equivalent of outlawing abortion.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8473 on: January 15, 2019, 11:29:37 PM »

Which you didn't do.
Overturning Roe v. Wade is not the equivalent of outlawing abortion.
LOL. A large majority in that poll supported the continued legal protection of abortion. The poll never asked if Roe should be overturned. They just lumped people who favored any restrictions as being anti Roe. It was an intellectually dishonest reading of the results.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 11:32:46 PM by whiskeypriest »
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8474 on: January 15, 2019, 11:38:10 PM »

We're up to 35 credible or quasi-credible candidates for the Democratic nomination.

Declared and running
Julian Castro
John Delaney
Tulsi Gabbard
Jay Inslee
Maj. Richard Ojeda (Ret.)

Scheduled Announcement
Kamala Harris
Marianne Williamson

Exploratory Committees
Kirsten Gillibrand
Elizabeth Warren

Declared, but while more credible than the other 130ish unknowns, pretty low profile
Michael Arth
Harry Braun (Ran thrice before, twice as Dem)
Ken Nwadike, Jr.
Robby Wells (Ran twice before, not as a Dem)
Andrew Yang

And 21 others...
18* current or past elected office holders (7 current senators, 2 current US Reps plus Beto, 3 current and 1 former mayor, 2 current and 2 former mayors, and 1 ex-VP), plus...
Eric Holder,
Angelina Jolie,
and
Oscar de la Hoya

*Michael Baker, Bloomberg, Booker, Brown, Bullock, Buttigieg, Casey Jr., De Blasio, Garcetti, Hickenlooper, Klobuchar, McAuliffe, Merkley, O'Rourke, Tim Ryan, Sanders, and Eric Swalwell

Who's your favorite among those?!

Italics in that bottom list means I think nobody has heard of them and that that is not going to change, even if they run.
Pages: 1 ... 563 564 [565] 566 567 ... 4288