Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 566 567 [568] 569 570 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1583829 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #8505 on: January 16, 2019, 01:04:16 PM »

We're up to 35 credible or quasi-credible candidates for the Democratic nomination.

Declared and running
Julian Castro
John Delaney
Tulsi Gabbard
Jay Inslee
Maj. Richard Ojeda (Ret.)

Scheduled Announcement
Kamala Harris
Marianne Williamson

Exploratory Committees
Kirsten Gillibrand
Elizabeth Warren

Declared, but while more credible than the other 130ish unknowns, pretty low profile
Michael Arth
Harry Braun (Ran thrice before, twice as Dem)
Ken Nwadike, Jr.
Robby Wells (Ran twice before, not as a Dem)
Andrew Yang

And 21 others...
18* current or past elected office holders (7 current senators, 2 current US Reps plus Beto, 3 current and 1 former mayor, 2 current and 2 former mayors, and 1 ex-VP), plus...
Eric Holder,
Angelina Jolie,
and
Oscar de la Hoya

*Michael Baker, Bloomberg, Booker, Brown, Bullock, Buttigieg, Casey Jr., De Blasio, Garcetti, Hickenlooper, Klobuchar, McAuliffe, Merkley, O'Rourke, Tim Ryan, Sanders, and Eric Swalwell

Who's your favorite among those?!

Italics in that bottom list means I think nobody has heard of them and that that is not going to change, even if they run.

Swalwell is a regular on MSNBC...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8506 on: January 16, 2019, 01:13:30 PM »

The Tax Foundation threw some cold water on the Progressive/leftists in the democrat party and their desire to raise the marginal tax rate...

Well, of course they would, since their whole reason for existing is to argue against tax increases.

I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

barton

« Reply #8507 on: January 16, 2019, 01:15:43 PM »

"6" - snort!

Re:  party of 35:  Hickenlooper.

He'd know how to handle a beer-mergency.  (he's a craft beer brewer)

Oilcan - still in Susy Sunshine mode today, I'm seeing a shift back towards bipartisanship in the interests of sanity.

Meanwhile....

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) on Wednesday asked President Trump to postpone his State of the Union address — or deliver it in writing — citing security concerns related to the partial federal government shutdown.

The suggestion, which could deny Trump an opportunity to make his case for border wall funding in a prime-time televised address, came as White House officials were urging Republican senators to hold off on signing a bipartisan letter that would call for an end to the government shutdown, now in its 26th day.

As an occasional chess player, I have to say I might lose to Mme. Speaker.  That was a nice move.  Real finesse.  (there is, btw, an actual set of checkmates in chess called "smothered King"...)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #8508 on: January 16, 2019, 01:32:00 PM »

Meanwhile, some GOP Senators are getting back to basics:

WASHINGTON — A group of 11 Republican senators broke ranks with their leadership and the administration on Tuesday to side with Democrats in a showdown over sanctions on Russia, underscoring the political sensitivity of the issue amid questions about President Trump’s relationship with Moscow.

The Republicans voted with Democrats seeking to keep sanctions in place on companies controlled by an influential Russian oligarch with connections to President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia.

The 11 Republican votes allowed Senate Democrats to advance a measure that would reverse a decision last month by the Treasury Department to lift sanctions that it imposed last year on companies controlled by the oligarch, Oleg V. Deripaska, including the aluminum giant Rusal.

Cool.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #8509 on: January 16, 2019, 01:40:17 PM »

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #8510 on: January 16, 2019, 02:37:05 PM »

The Tax Foundation threw some cold water on the Progressive/leftists in the democrat party and their desire to raise the marginal tax rate...

Well, of course they would, since their whole reason for existing is to argue against tax increases.
Pretty obvious anyone would argue against that tax increase given it would be a disaster for taxpayers.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #8511 on: January 16, 2019, 02:40:42 PM »

Oh, right wing heads are exploding across the nation as a nightmare is realized...

Aunty Maxine recognizes talent...

https://www.businessinsider.com/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-gets-house-financial-services-committee-seat-2019-1?utm_content=buffer0214f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer-bi
Cant hurt to put Ocasio-Cortez on a Committee where she might actually learn something about financial matters.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #8512 on: January 16, 2019, 02:41:03 PM »

Pretty obvious anyone would argue against that tax increase given it would be a disaster for taxpayers.

Have to wonder how it would be a “disaster” for taxpayers if it raises so little revenue....
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8513 on: January 16, 2019, 02:42:03 PM »

Not for me it wouldn't. Not for.anyone I know.

I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #8514 on: January 16, 2019, 02:42:40 PM »

Oh, right wing heads are exploding across the nation as a nightmare is realized...

https://www.businessinsider.com/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-gets-house-financial-services-committee-seat-2019-1?utm_content=buffer0214f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer-bi
Cant hurt to put Ocasio-Cortez on a Committee where she might actually learn something about financial matters.

As opposed to all those white male congressmen we assume know something about financial matters because they are white and male, despite the fact that they have misstated something as basic as the marginal tax rates since the day AOC made her proposal.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #8515 on: January 16, 2019, 02:47:29 PM »

And then she can teach Steve Scalise.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8516 on: January 16, 2019, 03:03:57 PM »

In an argument between a patriot and a pimp, Red will back the pimp every time.

http://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/01/trump-russia-interactions-four-questions.html

If the invasion force at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. keeps digging, the Special Council will still be working on his assignment long after the voters have removed trump.

Chairman Waters has a member on her committee who can insure everyone under 40 in this country will know and care about the contents of trump personal and business tax returns as soon as she is done dissecting them. 
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

barton

« Reply #8517 on: January 16, 2019, 03:28:58 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jan/16/karen-pence-teach-school-bans-lgbt-students-teachers

Why we don't want Trump convicted and forced out of office...unless Pencil goes with.

More pseudo-Christians that would have Jesus face-planting.  The cruelty and misogyny of the vice-bigot's cult is not something to be shrugged off.   Read the part about how anyone teaching at the school must submit to their husbands.  If they offer you kool-aid just say no.   

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #8518 on: January 16, 2019, 03:45:19 PM »

Looks like the tide is about to wash away the revisionist myth of the “Noble Lost Cause.”

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/15/685672038/judge-throws-out-alabama-law-that-protects-confederate-monuments?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20190115

Rip those fuckers down... every last one of them.

Lyndon Johnson

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #8519 on: January 16, 2019, 03:46:52 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jan/16/karen-pence-teach-school-bans-lgbt-students-teachers

Why we don't want Trump convicted and forced out of office...unless Pencil goes with.

More pseudo-Christians that would have Jesus face-planting.  The cruelty and misogyny of the vice-bigot's cult is not something to be shrugged off.   Read the part about how anyone teaching at the school must submit to their husbands.  If they offer you kool-aid just say no.
What do you want? We live in the Christian West.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan
Pages: 1 ... 566 567 [568] 569 570 ... 4288