Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 575 576 [577] 578 579 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1583570 times)

Driver125

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #8640 on: January 18, 2019, 02:28:54 PM »

Trump Russia: Seven legal headaches for the president:
There he would be, all alone in his cell……boo hoo. I would imagine the White House might be looking a bit better after some time behind bars.
    But I don’t think he will spend any time in jail. Nobody from the Bush crowd did (except Scooter Libby). I believe he will make a deal. I think they will offer not to prosecute on the Russia stuff if he agrees to leave the WH within a week. They would most likely leave the financial stuff in place with the State of New York, but Trump is an old hand fighting off that kind of thing. He would spend the rest of his life in courtrooms, but it would beat prison time. Normally you would expect him to hold on like a wolverine with its teeth sunk in your leg because losing is such anathema to him. But he also is capable of recognizing a hopeless situation (witness his many bankruptcies).

barton

« Reply #8641 on: January 18, 2019, 03:02:40 PM »

Investors seem increasingly confident that a China trade deal will happen but not necessarily a blockbuster like the above report.
Still, the news of a Chinese buying spree added a little hot sauce to the Dow Jones and broader stock market rally on Friday.

Look,  there goes a squirrel!

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8642 on: January 18, 2019, 03:03:48 PM »

The shutdown, if goes long enough, as it seems set to do, is set to cause a break in the reporting of economic data.

I think Individual 1’s cronies have caused the shutdown because they see this as some sort of opportunity to monkey with the books along with further wounding the IRS.

It’s the oligarchs & kleptocrats vs. the people’s government which is why we need to boot oligarchs & kleptocrats from the government.

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/1/18/18188262/government-shutdown-economy-recession-workers-gdp
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

barton

« Reply #8643 on: January 18, 2019, 03:27:17 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1D2ynASqe4&feature=youtu.be

(you can skip ahead about 4 minutes - the con man's name is Trump.   A weirdly prescient episode from a 1958 TV show)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #8645 on: January 18, 2019, 03:49:05 PM »

- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

barton

« Reply #8646 on: January 18, 2019, 03:55:49 PM »

Impenetrable guano barrier.   Sorry,  can't read it.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #8647 on: January 18, 2019, 03:58:54 PM »

Trump Russia: Seven legal headaches for the president:
There he would be, all alone in his cell……boo hoo. I would imagine the White House might be looking a bit better after some time behind bars.
    But I don’t think he will spend any time in jail. Nobody from the Bush crowd did (except Scooter Libby). I believe he will make a deal. I think they will offer not to prosecute on the Russia stuff if he agrees to leave the WH within a week. They would most likely leave the financial stuff in place with the State of New York, but Trump is an old hand fighting off that kind of thing. He would spend the rest of his life in courtrooms, but it would beat prison time. Normally you would expect him to hold on like a wolverine with its teeth sunk in your leg because losing is such anathema to him. But he also is capable of recognizing a hopeless situation (witness his many bankruptcies).

Libby never went to prison

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #8648 on: January 18, 2019, 04:32:25 PM »

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/largest-single-group-migrants-tunnels-border-wall-arizona/story?id=60462672

Cough.

CBP Yuma Border Sector Chief Anthony Porvaznik said his unit needs better border barriers, but more urgently it needs funding to provide for these families.

yep

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #8649 on: January 18, 2019, 05:34:44 PM »

(JTA) — Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz said she “must walk away” from the national Women’s March organization over the alleged failure of its leaders to condemn anti-Semitism.

Wasserman Schultz, D-Fla., who participated in the first Women’s March in 2017 in protest against President Donald Trump, made her remarks in an op-ed published Friday in USA Today.

At “almost every turn,” she wrote, Women’s March co-leader Tamika Mallory ”has failed to clearly denounce” Louis Farrakhan, the leader of the Nation of Islam group, who has a “long history of anti-Semitism.”

“Instead, she has attended Farrakhan’s speeches and posted her support for him on social media, referring to him as the ‘GOAT’ — or, the Greatest Of All Time,” the congresswoman wrote.

“While I still firmly believe in its values and mission, I cannot associate with the national march’s leaders and principles, which refuse to completely repudiate anti-Semitism and all forms of bigotry.”

Linda Sarsour, another Women’s March leader, wrote last year about “folks who masquerade as progressives but always choose their allegiance to Israel over their commitment to democracy and free speech,” Wasserman Schulz said in the op-ed.

“This rhetoric is hurtful and shames the Jewish women who have stood for equality and inclusiveness since before the Women’s March even came into being,” she wrote.

Sarsour and other Women’s March leaders have apologized to what they acknowledged were missteps in tackling anti-Semitism, but some Jewish groups nonetheless have distanced themselves from the movement ahead of its third annual march planned for Saturday in Washington, D.C., and simultaneously in other cities across the country.

https://www.jta.org/quick-reads/debbie-wasserman-schultz-breaks-with-womens-march-over-anti-semitism-failures

You can't denounce Farrakhan?  He's your GOAT? WTF?

All politics is local.

Farrakhan has the juice of a 25 watt bulb these days. His influence peaked with Million Man March in 1995... but he is still strong locally and in pockets around the country especially in cities where black communities face economic and enforcement “challenges.”

Forcing black activists to publicly denounce the motherfucker is akin to saying, “well you for sure ain’t going to organize the folks in Clifton Terrace!” because in places where the citizens were caught between the police and the criminals without distinguishing who is who, the young men in the suits, ties and haircuts is what allowed ordinary people to get through the day to day.

That was twenty years ago, now there is one guy selling bean pies and the NOI newspaper at the corner of East Capitol and Benning NE and he’s been at it for FIVE years.

But as Farrakhan has done with every black activist since Jesse Jackson, he is making hay out of this attention.

Bullshit. Because the excuse you contrived us akin to Trump saying "both sides" were to blame in Charlottesville.

There is right and there is wrong. You can't be both.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8650 on: January 18, 2019, 06:13:59 PM »

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/largest-single-group-migrants-tunnels-border-wall-arizona/story?id=60462672

Cough.
Note that having breached the wall they turned themselves in. Because they are making the claim of asylum, a legal immigration status.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #8651 on: January 18, 2019, 06:44:24 PM »

By the time the govt shutdown ends Trump won't have many friends left, let alone many voters left who are happy to vote for him.
Shutting down the govt was a dumb thing to do.

oilcan

« Reply #8652 on: January 18, 2019, 06:47:12 PM »

Cough.
Note that having breached the wall they turned themselves in. Because they are making the claim of asylum, a legal immigration status.

Yes,  to still support Trump's wall requires an utter contempt for the facts regarding how,  and why,  people are coming in.   

oilcan

« Reply #8653 on: January 18, 2019, 06:48:51 PM »

Regarding the fifties TV show - the parallels are truly eerie.

"Trackdown” aired on CBS between 1957 and 1959 and took place in Texas following the Civil War. The series followed Texas Ranger Hoby Gilman, played by Robert Culp, on his adventures protecting the people of the Lone Star State. The 30th episode of the show, titled “The End of The World,” premiered on May 9, 1958, and saw a con man named Walter Trump, played by Lawrence Dobkin, attempt to scam the entire town.

The fictional Trump warned the Texans that apocalyptic meteors would strike the town at midnight, but he could protect everyone. “I bring you a message,” he said. “A message few of you will be able to believe…but be not afraid my friends: I also bring you the means with which to save yourself.”

His solution was to build a wall made of magical metal that would repel the meteors and keep everyone safe. As the citizens started to believe Trump, he offered to give them walls for $50 each. However, Ranger Gilman wasn’t convinced. Pandemonium erupted in the town, but in the end Gilman arrests Trump for grand theft and fraud.

https://variety.com/2019/politics/news/trackdown-1950s-tv-show-border-wall-trump-1203106000/

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #8654 on: January 18, 2019, 07:07:57 PM »

Cough.

Yes,  to still support Trump's wall requires an utter contempt for the facts regarding how,  and why,  people are coming in.

Big picture.  Don't just look at things currently.

Big expenditure but helps border patrol

I can see why the IDEA is a problem for some.  What it makes us look like.  For most it has little to do with the dollars.
Pages: 1 ... 575 576 [577] 578 579 ... 4288