Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 656 657 [658] 659 660 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1583798 times)

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #9855 on: February 13, 2019, 04:00:32 PM »

So About Burr...

https://www.justsecurity.org/62573/richard-burr-leadership-senates-russia-investigation-disintegrate/

From Aug. 11 to Sept. 6, 2016, the C.I.A. organized “a series of urgent, individual briefings for [the] eight top members of Congress.” The C.I.A. informed Burr and the others that the U.S. intelligence community had discovered the Kremlin was working to help elect Trump and that “unnamed advisers to Mr. Trump might be working with the Russians.”

With this information in hand, Burr decided not only to join the Trump campaign and tie his political fate to Trump. Burr also took the now difficult-to-explain step of publicly repudiating suggestions that the Russians were acting in support of Trump. In an Oct. 3, 2016 interview, Burr said, “I have yet to see anything that would lead me to believe” Russia was interfering to benefit Trump. It was also a notable exception to Burr’s reputation for avoiding speaking with the press.

He could have not said anything.  Instead he lied to provide cover for Trump.

Put the latest quotes from Burr regarding the existence of "direct" evidence of collusion in that context.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #9856 on: February 13, 2019, 04:01:22 PM »

The Path for Dreamers was killed by the Dems.

Nope.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #9857 on: February 13, 2019, 04:02:24 PM »

Revisionist history.

"Revisionist" implies there may be some basis in the history on which to make that revision.  There isn't.  Its pure fantasy history.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #9858 on: February 13, 2019, 04:05:02 PM »

Tony, sounds like LA would be better off with ANY rail, be it slower trolleys or middling trains or whatever gets butts out of cars.  Oily's article sheds light on America's problems with HS rail, geographic, legal, political, and too many consultants.... but it might be possible to have middle speed systems in dense urban corridors that are still way better than driving in gridlock.  Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Also decreasing obesity will help.  If people are okay with walking a few blocks to a station, then transit lines are more feasible even if they don't go everywhere.  Walking, as adjunct to mass transit, should be promoted by communities.   When i have been in Europe, I've seen thinner healthier people walking way more and going on foot to transit stations.

I agree, any improvements are better than no improvements. And also becoming more bicycle friendly would be great, etc, etc. And you are right about health.

Oddly enough, Los Angeles used to have a great trolley system, and they took it out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_Railway

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Electric

You are right, any improvement will help. Some progress has been made with the slow trains and subways, and buses, and more progress is being made, and yes, all progress helps.

Salute,

Tony V.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 04:39:43 PM by FlyingVProd »

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9859 on: February 13, 2019, 04:47:11 PM »

Why do you insist on spouting absurdity?
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9860 on: February 13, 2019, 04:53:38 PM »

Revisionist history.

"Revisionist" implies there may be some basis in the history on which to make that revision.  There isn't.  Its pure fantasy history.

There were Democrats. There were Dreamers. The path for them was killed.

That is the basis in history upon which I made my comment about revisionist history.

It is also pure fantasy, just as fantasy on the streets of New York City in the 1920s is revisionist and also pure fantasy.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9861 on: February 13, 2019, 05:15:59 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/11/us/louisiana-climate-relocation-weir-wxc/index.html

98% of their island has slipped into the Gulf of Mexico. It isn't stopping.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9862 on: February 13, 2019, 05:27:40 PM »

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/02/republicans-admit-everything-they-said-about-obama-was-a-lie.html

Everything the GOP said during the Obama years was a lie - we know this because they are admitting it. They are also admitting they were obstructionist, not because they opposed the policies but because they opposed Obama.

MULVANEY: Well, we didn’t get very much done. Listen, I’ll be the first to admit that when the tea party wave, of which I was one, got here in 2011, the last thing we were interested in was giving President Obama legislative successes.

or
Mulvaney casually confessed last week that nobody cares about the deficit. Mulvaney of course spent the Obama era claiming to care about the deficit a lot — so much, indeed, that he was willing to shut down the government or even default on the national debt in order to reduce it. The debt hysteria was manufactured to cover a different agenda. Republicans wanted to force Obama to reduce popular domestic spending programs so they could cut taxes for the affluent.

The goal was to obstruct Obama and enrich the rich.

The latter goal has remained. Everything else is smoke and mirrors, with the possible exception of advancing the white "race."

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #9863 on: February 13, 2019, 05:53:38 PM »

Nah, the path for dreamers was killed by 2045... it’s the only reason Trump killed DACA in the first place.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #9864 on: February 13, 2019, 05:57:24 PM »

Tony, sounds like LA would be better off with ANY rail, be it slower trolleys or middling trains or whatever gets butts out of cars.  Oily's article sheds light on America's problems with HS rail, geographic, legal, political, and too many consultants.... but it might be possible to have middle speed systems in dense urban corridors that are still way better than driving in gridlock.  Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Also decreasing obesity will help.  If people are okay with walking a few blocks to a station, then transit lines are more feasible even if they don't go everywhere.  Walking, as adjunct to mass transit, should be promoted by communities.   When i have been in Europe, I've seen thinner healthier people walking way more and going on foot to transit stations.

Biggest problem with US Rail is the system is backwards. Freight companies own the right of ways and rails. Feds operate the passenger system. Freight companies have no incentive to upgrade their right of ways to 21st C tech as opposed to 19th.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star

Lyndon Johnson

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #9866 on: February 13, 2019, 07:15:34 PM »

Biggest problem with US Rail is the system is backwards. Freight companies own the right of ways and rails. Feds operate the passenger system. Freight companies have no incentive to upgrade their right of ways to 21st C tech as opposed to 19th.

Here is a list of the freight train companies in California...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_California_railroads 

Which means if we want to get the freight companies on board with building high speed trains, then we have to win over guys like Warren Buffett...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkshire_Hathaway

And we have people in the train business such as Richard Branson and Virgin trains, Richard is getting involved in the USA...

------------

High-speed trains are finally coming to the US

Lilit Marcus, CNN • Updated 25th December 2018

(CNN) — Japan has its famed Shinkasens, Russia its Maglevs, France its TGVs.
But what about the United States?

One train company has high hopes of bringing high-speed rail travel to America. Brightline Trains, which bills itself as "America's first new major private intercity passenger railroad in over a century," has just gotten a major vote of confidence from Richard Branson's Virgin Group.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/virgin-trains-usa/index.html

-----------

So, with the help of Richard Branson we can make some progress in the field of high speed trains in the USA. Maybe Richard Branson can win over Warren Buffett. And if we can have a combination of federal money for infrastructure, and state money, etc, combined with business power-houses like Richard Branson and Warren Buffett, maybe we can make progress on high speed rail.

And Elon Musk wants to build underground subways, maybe we can combine tax money with private money to advance subways in Los Angeles and in other areas where subways are needed. We have a couple of subways already, and many more are needed.

We can make progress with mass transit, including subways, and high speed trains, if we can get the public and private sectors to work together as a team. And we have brilliant people to design everything, and great people to build everything. 

We need to keep dreaming, maybe we can make high speed trains happen still. It is just a shame that we will not finish the California high speed train that was already being built, it would have been great to get that done, and then expand high speed rail to other routes. 

Salute,

Tony V.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9867 on: February 13, 2019, 07:23:07 PM »

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2019/2/11/18220082/insects-extinction-bological-conservation

The mass die off of insects hurts far more than just insects.

So. What can you do about the upcoming insect apocalypse?

YOU CAN ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS ONE, FOLKS.

No, seriously. You can. This isn't like global warming. You, personally, can do this one.

If you own property, even a small urban yard, get rid of your lawn.

There you go. That's it.

Plant shrubs, a small tree, and native plants for your part of the world. Don't bag your leaves in autumn, pile them on your shrubs.

Done.

Lawns are an invasive monoculture requiring damaging amounts of water and chemicals. Almost no insects can live on them. Take some small part of your yard - the back fence? Around the patio or deck? A border with a neighbor? Along the garage? - and plant native plants.

If you don't have property, offer to help out folks who do. Talk to your parents, siblings, friends and family. Talk to your neighbors. Tell them how easy it is to fix this one. Do you have a neighborhood organization? Talk to them.

barton

« Reply #9868 on: February 13, 2019, 07:45:58 PM »

I've been saying for decades, why does America take one of its major crops, mow it down and then throw it away.  Sometimes on a weekly basis, with massive investment of gasoline, water, fertilizer.  If we must keep some patches of grass, we should at least have goats or sheep roaming around neighborhoods so that all the organic material can be made into milk or wool or mutton.  Good article, good ideas for not only saving our vitally needed insect ecosystems but saving water and fossil fuels and chemical treatments that leach into our creeks and rivers and aquifers. 

We encouraged wasps on our land, once we understood that the species is utterly non-aggressive and helps control the population of other more noxious species.  They are gentle -  if one gets in the house, I like to amaze guests by letting it crawl onto my hand and then carrying it outside.  Never been stung.  Lots of myths about wasps out there.
Like they all drink too much and cheat on their wives and act like John Cheever characters. 

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #9869 on: February 13, 2019, 08:08:33 PM »

In any case, I plan to ride the high speed train between Bakersfield and Merced when they become operational. It would be cool to go see what they built and ride it. 

And maybe the route will be finished later, along with more routes, once we can get more support for high speed rail.

On the issue of slow trains, I want to go coast to coast on a train, I think it would be great. 

Salute,

Tony V. 
Pages: 1 ... 656 657 [658] 659 660 ... 4288