Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 740 741 [742] 743 744 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1597196 times)

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #11115 on: March 12, 2019, 06:15:58 PM »

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/our-parents-fled-wars-to-avoid-death-only-to-bury-their-children-in-another-land/ar-BBUFzGP?li=AAgfYrC&OCID=AVRES000

'Our parents fled wars to avoid death, only to bury their children in another land'

The cousin of a young Sudanese-Australian man allegedly shot dead by a childhood friend in a Springvale alley has pleaded with youths in his community to "stop fantasising about the gang life" and work to end the violence.

Winis Apet, 20, was found in a pool of blood with a single gunshot wound to his chest in a lane off Springvale Road just before midnight on Sunday.
Homicide detectives arrested Paguir Pan, 19, one of Mr Apet's childhood friends, the morning after the shooting and charged him with one count of murder.

Mr Apet's cousin Jacques Dhieu, who was born in a refugee camp in Kenya, said it was heartbreaking to wake on Monday to learn his cousin hadn't made it home.
"Isn’t it sad that our parents fled wars to avoid death, only to bury their children in another land," Mr Dhieu said.

"How many mothers have to keep losing their sons till we had enough? When are we youths going to wake up and stop fantasising the gang life? Really wish people would be better in this world, it doesn’t take much."

#####

Well there you go.
Wise words indeed.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 06:17:53 PM by bambu-wisdom »

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #11116 on: March 12, 2019, 06:20:44 PM »

Jared Kushner's dad got his son, who was a mediocre student, into Harvard with a $2.5 million donation to the school in 1998.
Shocking!
Just Shocking!
And yet, if an African American student gets diversity credit everyone in your bubble blows a vein.
I think you aren’t thinking straight. The Univerities grant both. Make $ billions off the rich AND Uncle Sam. In return the bulk of students/Alums are paying off student loan debt into their 40’s and 50’s( or default and dump it on the rest of us)thanks to Obama.

LOL. Obama is the reason people who went to college 20 years ago are still paying off their student loans...

Someone here isn't thinking straight.  It ain't whiskeypriest.
More likely both of you. Obama federalized Student Loans. To the detriment of everyone.

We point out the double-standard in your attitude toward college admission preferences, and you want to argue (poorly) about Student Loans.

The Forum’s squirrel in action.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #11117 on: March 12, 2019, 06:33:14 PM »

I was glad to hear Obama was President in 1999, btw.  Red teaches us so much!
In 1999 student loan debt was a FRACTION of what it was after Obama fucked us over.

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #11118 on: March 12, 2019, 06:36:07 PM »

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/lori-loughlins-daughter-said-she-doesnt-really-care-about-school-only-interested-in-game-days-and-partying/ar-BBUGO8U?li=AAgfYrC&OCID=AVRES000

#####

Oops.
A long way to go in life.
Will mommy be going to prison?

A good education is a must, especially in America...so many people, so much competition.
To do well or even half well one needs every advantage possible...a college degree and skills...youth and beauty don't jast forever.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 06:48:01 PM by bambu-wisdom »

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #11119 on: March 12, 2019, 06:37:59 PM »

I was glad to hear Obama was President in 1999, btw.  Red teaches us so much!
In 1999 student loan debt was a FRACTION of what it was after Obama fucked us over.

Yes!  True! 

The Obama Bump in student loan debt is as identifiable (and existent) as the Trump Bump in the employment rate.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #11120 on: March 12, 2019, 06:38:59 PM »

Jared Kushner's dad got his son, who was a mediocre student, into Harvard with a $2.5 million donation to the school in 1998.
Shocking!
Just Shocking!
And yet, if an African American student gets diversity credit everyone in your bubble blows a vein.
I think you aren’t thinking straight. The Univerities grant both. Make $ billions off the rich AND Uncle Sam. In return the bulk of students/Alums are paying off student loan debt into their 40’s and 50’s( or default and dump it on the rest of us)thanks to Obama.

LOL. Obama is the reason people who went to college 20 years ago are still paying off their student loans...

More likely both of you. Obama federalized Student Loans. To the detriment of everyone.

We point out the double-standard in your attitude toward college admission preferences, and you want to argue (poorly) about Student Loans.
I didn’t  point out any double standard.

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #11121 on: March 12, 2019, 06:46:29 PM »

Prosecutors said Loughlin and her fashion designer husband, Mossimo Giannulli, paid $500,000 in bribes to have their daughters listed as potential recruits for the USC crew team — despite the fact that they do not participate in the sport — to boost the likelihood of their admittance.

Andrew Lelling, U.S. attorney for the District of Massachusetts, said in a news conference Tuesday that families paid a combined $25 million, mostly funneled through charitable accounts, to bribe coaches and university administrators between 2011 and 2018.

Loughlin and her husband are both facing charges of conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud.

#####

That looks like big trouble.
Mail fraud, that's the federal govt?
More lives ruined.
Gee I hate seeing people ruin their lives.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 06:50:15 PM by bambu-wisdom »

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11122 on: March 12, 2019, 06:53:38 PM »

Shocking!
Just Shocking!

Not shocking at all.  Quite common, in fact.  Which was the point.

Funny how conservatives are never bothered by the wealthy getting advantages over the rest of us (see above, corporate welfare, lower tax rates, etc)  but if someone who has almost nothing gets an opportunity they wouldn’t otherwise get?  Whoo boy.  Whole movements are started within Conservatism to prevent that from happening.

It's the policy of my first boss [bank manager] in the workplace, that he advised me to have...
"Look after yourself first in this world, son...because nobody else will".
You don't have Kushner's or Trump's advantage: daddy looked after them.

Exactly.

They have that policy..."Look after yourself first in this world, because nobody else will".

Who will look after you whiskeyman first in this world...if not you or yours?
It takes a village. Or in your case, village idiot.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11123 on: March 12, 2019, 06:57:30 PM »

Shocking!
Just Shocking!

Non sequitur! 15 - love.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #11124 on: March 12, 2019, 07:04:14 PM »

Shocking!
Just Shocking!

Conservatives should never, ever yap about Affirmative Action or argue we live in a meritocracy.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #11125 on: March 12, 2019, 07:09:03 PM »

When thinking about how the access that the wealthy have to paths to cheating their kids into elite colleges can only add to the lack of upward mobility of the middle-class and poor and the dissolution of our meritocracy remember that there are perfectly legal ways of doing this very same thing.

So, daddy gets you into a top university by whatever means...but if you're a mediocre student how do you pass the exams and graduate?

Ask Donald Trump.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11126 on: March 12, 2019, 07:38:38 PM »

Jared was clearly above what they were teaching at Frisch

Do you really think the most impressive future earners/leaders are always in the top 5-10%, even 20-25% in HS GPA?  Please.

I guess all of us could have made 20 mil DURING our college years (at an Ivy level of studying to go with it) - if given the stake he was handed.

heh

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #11127 on: March 12, 2019, 08:31:13 PM »

Do you really think the most impressive future earners/leaders are always in the top 5-10%, even 20-25% in HS GPA? 

No. But students accepted to Harvard are. Which is what we are talking about. Keep up.

And no, I don’t think it so impressive that Kushner “made “ money at Harvard when the money he invested in Somerville real estate was his dad’s.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #11128 on: March 12, 2019, 08:38:53 PM »

Lyndon Johnson

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #11129 on: March 12, 2019, 09:06:29 PM »

Senator Marco Rubio

3 hrs · 

The Iranian regime sentenced human rights lawyer Nasrin Sotoudeh to 38 years in prison & 148 lashes simply for defending the basic rights of Iranians. This is an outrage and the intl community must put intense pressure on Iran until she & other political prisoners are released.

-----------------

My response...

The hot-spot for Persian Jews in the USA is Beverly Hills, California, they even elected an Iranian Jew as Mayor of Beverly Hills. I am sure that they would all want to help on the issue of improving human rights in Iran, etc, etc, etc. The Persian Jews have been very successful in Beverly Hills. Refer to past articles in the Los Angeles Times if you want more information. 

Salute,

Tony V. ​
Pages: 1 ... 740 741 [742] 743 744 ... 4288