Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 748 749 [750] 751 752 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1584622 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #11235 on: March 14, 2019, 04:06:07 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/14/us/college-admissions-scheme-lawsuit-class-action/index.html

Stanford students initiate a class action suit against the colleges exposed in this admissions scandal, claiming the value of their degrees has been lessened - future employers may question whether they got in on their own merits or by cheating.

I think the suit should be tossed - they are suing the wrong people. Plus, if they graduate, then how they got in ceases to be quite as much of a shadow on their aptness for the institution(s).
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #11236 on: March 14, 2019, 04:13:47 PM »

There's some hope...

Not all students are leaving school to protest...

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/year-12-student-joanne-tran-said-kids-were-being-used-as-pawns-by-climate-alarmists/news-story/3ddebf51b15526615fc0fb755f2cec2f

Year 12 student Joanne Tran said kids were being used as pawns by climate alarmists

. Students warned: Going to protest is breaking the law
. Why I won’t be bullied into joining climate change strike

Children are scared of coal because public school teachers have told them “mining is going to destroy you”.
Year 12 public high school student Joanne Tran said pupils were being used as pawns by climate­ alarmists because teachers had made them afraid of coal.

“I remember being in class (and told) ‘mining is bad’, ‘mining is going to be the end of us’ and ‘mining is going to destroy you’,” she said.

“We need to fix our education system, especially our curriculum right now. I think fundamentally there is something wrong with our education and how we teach what we teach kids in school.”

#####

Exactly what no1 radio host and his outraged listeners are saying.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 04:17:31 PM by bambu-wisdom »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11237 on: March 14, 2019, 04:16:06 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/13/politics/senate-vote-yemen-war-powers/

The Senate Democrats and 7 Republicans voted to restrain the administrations Yemen activities. It won't be enough to override a veto, but it's a start.

Well.....no,  That's GOVERNMENT

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #11238 on: March 14, 2019, 04:22:57 PM »

Ms Tran, 17, estimated 70 per cent of students at her public high school were expected to skip class today to attend a climate rally.

In an opinion piece in today’s paper, she said that students’ time was better spent in class learning the facts rather than parroting the views of activists.
“At the end of the day in Australia­, more than 50 per cent of our exports rely on commodities,” she said. “In fact (coal) is actually incredibly important to the Australian economy and economies around the world.”

Today’s strike comes amid plummeting results in writing, with one in five Year 9 students failing standard testing including NAPLAN last year.

She said her classmates needed to engage in facts rather than naively accept assertions the country could transition from coal-fired power to renewables immediately.

#####

Ms Tran is exactly correct.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 04:24:32 PM by bambu-wisdom »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11239 on: March 14, 2019, 04:25:53 PM »

Year 12 student Joanne Tran said kids were being used as pawns by climate alarmists

#####

Exactly what no1 radio host and his outraged listeners are saying.

Right.

After all, nobody in the media or in homes has pressured kids like Joanne Tran at all!

Tool.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #11240 on: March 14, 2019, 04:26:39 PM »

Ms. Tran sounds like a 17-year old Bambu.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11241 on: March 14, 2019, 04:27:57 PM »

The Senate Democrats and 7 Republicans voted to restrain the administrations Yemen activities. It won't be enough to override a veto, but it's a start.

The debate over whether the GOVERNMENT has overstepped in Yemen remains to be finished.

But there is no reason for you "well.....no." My comment is exactly right. Yours is not wrong, but neither is it a correction of mine.

and, just FYI, an ellipsis has three dots.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #11243 on: March 14, 2019, 05:05:10 PM »

There are plenty of us around. :)

Ms Tran has obviously been paying attention...half of bambuland's economy is indeed "digging stuff up and selling it".
Everything from iron ore to opals...uranium to coal.

The proposed Adani coal mine in Qld state that some of the protesters are holding up placards about should not be allowed to proceed...not because it's coal as such but because of the water table it will allegedly damage, and there are alleged problems with the company [Indian]...no1 radio host told us, gave us all the facts.
He: "I'm not against mining, we need mining...but I am against this [huge] mine."

Qld state is $80billion in debt, so who knows what will happen.

Politicians are arguing about it.
Same station radio hosts are 'arguing' about it [no 1 radio host [breakfast] doesn't want it...but morning radio host does want it, for the money it seems.]

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11244 on: March 14, 2019, 05:05:20 PM »

Several voted on this issue based on Trump's Koshoggi stance.  Issues shouldnt affect one another.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11245 on: March 14, 2019, 05:21:49 PM »

Who in turn sounds like a 12-year old Ms. Tran. It's the circle of life.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11246 on: March 14, 2019, 05:22:59 PM »

The debate over whether the GOVERNMENT has overstepped in Yemen remains to be finished.

But there is no reason for you "well.....no." My comment is exactly right. Yours is not wrong, but neither is it a correction of mine.

and, just FYI, an ellipsis has three dots.

A what?

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #11247 on: March 14, 2019, 05:42:55 PM »

So ,
Beto is a Capitalist!
Biden will have to run as one., too.
If I were AOC I wouldn’t rule out a return to bartending.

barton

« Reply #11248 on: March 14, 2019, 06:30:39 PM »

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/high-profile-vote-ncs-tillis-defends-principles-then-rejects-them

Conservative Fascism!

I see Nebraska senator Ben Sasse also lost most of his vertebrae today, too.  Not the first time he's experienced spinal trauma. 

barton

« Reply #11249 on: March 14, 2019, 06:36:13 PM »

Another, and older guy, said:  "I asked a woman at a 'climate change' stall in a mall, 'what is the percentage of CO2 in the atmosphere'?...'she said 30%'...and said 'I ought to know, I teach science at school'. !!!

Ya can't make this stuff up.

And yet you just did.  A more objective news source might have noted the INCREASE in CO2 has been around 30% and that this is likely to be what the science teacher actually said.  Hearsay from thirdhand sources: not how facts are preserved.

Twit.

Pages: 1 ... 748 749 [750] 751 752 ... 4288