Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 774 775 [776] 777 778 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1585128 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #11625 on: March 20, 2019, 02:54:03 PM »

Illegitimate administration appoints illegitimate justices who misinterpret the law.

Trump failures multiply.

Red can’t read but is happy to let Hannity pretend to read for him.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11626 on: March 20, 2019, 03:42:31 PM »

Huh?

Wanna try that one again?

Say what?

Meanwhile...

Robert Mueller is becoming the watched tea kettle of American politics.  Every week, new reports he's about to issue the report.  Then, today, one of his crew says they're still really busy. 
SCOTUS  again overturned the 9th Circuit yesterday, this time  on an Immigration question.
The five conservative Justices read the law as written by Congress. The Liberals made up their own version.
Understandable that the Clown Car democrats running for President want to pack the Court with those who would make up other laws.
What an interesting analysis of the legal issues. Glad to know you approve of holding lawful US residents without charges after their jail sentence is over.
That the Law clearly allows that was not in dispute.
Except the issue was whether the statute should be read so as to avoid the constitutional violation of denying bond.
  I eagerly await your anger when the District Court strikes down the entire statute based on the constitutional violation the 9th Circuit tried to avoid. I believe the term for this type of win is "Pyrrhic".
I doubt you have read the case or understand the effects of the decision.
Bzzzt. Oh, I am terribly sorry, wrong again. But thank you for playing our game! Aas a consolation prize we have a years supply of Rice-a-roni. Rice-a-roni, the San Francisco treat! Try it for dinner tonight.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11627 on: March 20, 2019, 03:44:49 PM »

Well, that worked!

Devin Nunes' Cow Twitter Account Gets More Followers Than Nunes
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/devin-nunes-cow-twitter-followers_n_5c925039e4b0dbf58e46be21
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #11628 on: March 20, 2019, 04:01:58 PM »

Huh?

Say what?

Meanwhile...

Robert Mueller is becoming the watched tea kettle of American politics.  Every week, new reports he's about to issue the report.  Then, today, one of his crew says they're still really busy. 
SCOTUS  again overturned the 9th Circuit yesterday, this time  on an Immigration question.
The five conservative Justices read the law as written by Congress. The Liberals made up their own version.
Understandable that the Clown Car democrats running for President want to pack the Court with those who would make up other laws.
What an interesting analysis of the legal issues. Glad to know you approve of holding lawful US residents without charges after their jail sentence is over.
That the Law clearly allows that was not in dispute.
Except the issue was whether the statute should be read so as to avoid the constitutional violation of denying bond.
  I eagerly await your anger when the District Court strikes down the entire statute based on the constitutional violation the 9th Circuit tried to avoid. I believe the term for this type of win is "Pyrrhic".
I doubt you have read the case or understand the effects of the decision.
Bzzzt. Oh, I am terribly sorry, wrong again. But thank you for playing our game! Aas a consolation prize we have a years supply of Rice-a-roni. Rice-a-roni, the San Francisco treat! Try it for dinner tonight.
LOL

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #11631 on: March 20, 2019, 05:11:41 PM »

It isn't the job of our Supreme Court to decide cases on the law as written by Congress, but to decide on the constitutionality of the law as written by Congress.

And not sure you want to hype the competence of the five conservatives on a day when one of them asked his first question in three years, and it was an irrelevant "what-about-ist" inquiry that was easily cast aside:

Yes, the defense struck white jurors in the Curtis Flowers case.   Because those were the only jurors that were left after the prosecutor struck the black ones.  And it would be an irrelevant point regardless, as the question before the court is re: the history of this particular prosecutors suspicious tendency to strike black jurors.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #11632 on: March 20, 2019, 05:12:17 PM »

I had a friend who was killed by a member of a white supremacist group, the Nazi Lowriders.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_Lowriders

My friend was an Italian-American.

http://theavtimes.com/2017/03/07/murder-charge-filed-in-lancaster-stabbing-death/

Salute,

Tony V.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #11633 on: March 20, 2019, 06:01:46 PM »

It isn't the job of our Supreme Court to decide cases on the law as written by Congress, but to decide on the constitutionality of the law as written by Congress.

barton

« Reply #11634 on: March 20, 2019, 06:33:35 PM »

Well, that worked!

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/devin-nunes-cow-twitter-followers_n_5c925039e4b0dbf58e46be21

Ha!  Teat-ering on the edge of hysterics.  The stein, the Holstein, and nothing but the stein!  Now I have to Guernsey what that cow is posting today....

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11635 on: March 20, 2019, 06:42:55 PM »

Turn off fake news. Find Schoolhouse Rock on YouTube. Post when you’ve caught up, if you can get that far in your diminished state.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #11636 on: March 20, 2019, 06:50:43 PM »

I had a friend who was killed by a member of a white supremacist group, the Nazi Lowriders.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazi_Lowriders

My friend was an Italian-American.

http://theavtimes.com/2017/03/07/murder-charge-filed-in-lancaster-stabbing-death/

Salute,

Tony V.

Sorry about your friend, Tony.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #11637 on: March 20, 2019, 07:38:26 PM »

No.  Knowing that there isn't any way you would acknowledge the obvious flaw in your analysis.  And Whiskeypriest has it covered, I think.

Generally, for your info, SCOTUS is not required to take the lead from Congress in the cases they consider.  Their job is not to rule on the law as written by Congress.  Their job is to evaluate the constitutionality of said law, and by their ruling, require that any portion of said law that runs afoul of the Constitution be amended.

If you did not intend, through your analysis, to demonstrate a lack of understanding of this basic role of the highest court, you are free to "try that one again."
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #11638 on: March 20, 2019, 07:49:40 PM »

Well, that worked!

Ha!  Teat-ering on the edge of hysterics.  The stein, the Holstein, and nothing but the stein!  Now I have to Guernsey what that cow is posting today....

I wonder if in some way the absurdity of this lawsuit is the point.  They could not have been unaware of the (mocking) attention it would get.  And now Trump has been given another chance to loudly (falsely) declare that social media sites are silencing conservative voices while amplifying liberal ones. 

Its the same gaming of the refs that Conservatives partook in for thirty years with their "liberal media" taunts, and it worked.  Mainstream news gave far more credulity to the fever dreams and conspiracy theories of the right-wing all throughout Obama's tenure and through the 2016 election than they deserved.  And look at how they have treated proven foundation abuses and lax security protocols of the other side.  If some loudmouth wing-nut isn't making a bad faith argument about it, its not news.

Now, knowing full well that the real "fake news" on Facebook that fueled Trump's win is under scrutiny, they are preemptively calling foul so that FB and others will be skittish about dealing with it.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #11639 on: March 20, 2019, 07:56:06 PM »

Another attack from Republicans on our Democracy.  This time, they get it coming and going:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/03/florida-republicans-felon-voting-rights-amendment-4.html

Pages: 1 ... 774 775 [776] 777 778 ... 4288