Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 775 776 [777] 778 779 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1583531 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #11640 on: March 20, 2019, 08:13:14 PM »

Trump's definitive statement on McCain

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1108481610305933312

Press - you can stop fucking asking now.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #11641 on: March 20, 2019, 08:27:06 PM »

I suppose you don't think "why can't you act like a decent and gracious hunan being?" is a fair question to be asked.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11642 on: March 20, 2019, 08:28:47 PM »

Trump's definitive statement on McCain

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1108481610305933312

Press - you can stop fucking asking now.
No, he.made his definitive statement on McCain when he mocked him for being a POW.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #11643 on: March 20, 2019, 08:29:38 PM »

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #11644 on: March 20, 2019, 08:30:38 PM »

I suppose you don't think "why can't you act like a decent and gracious hunan being?" is a fair question to be asked.

I was going to say...asking if our "President" has completely lost his marbles?  Because this is the obvious question that comes to mind.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #11645 on: March 20, 2019, 08:50:00 PM »

Whoa.....

https://twitter.com/Cocoa_Bean10/status/1108396897205661696
Good old-fashioned nullification. I'm sure our resident expert on the Constitution will have a lot to say about the validity of this proposed law.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

barton

« Reply #11646 on: March 20, 2019, 08:51:00 PM »

Another attack from Republicans on our Democracy.  This time, they get it coming and going:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/03/florida-republicans-felon-voting-rights-amendment-4.html

"Poll tax  how I love ya, how I love ya, my dear old poll tax..."  - Tom Lehrer, I Wanna Go Back to Dixie

Appalling.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 08:52:58 PM by Barton »

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11647 on: March 20, 2019, 08:51:17 PM »

I was going to say...asking if our "President" has completely lost his marbles?  Because this is the obvious question that comes to mind.

It’s already very clear all his supporters have lost their balls.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kiidcarter8

• View Profile

barton

« Reply #11649 on: March 20, 2019, 08:58:16 PM »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11650 on: March 20, 2019, 09:01:23 PM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

barton

« Reply #11651 on: March 20, 2019, 09:11:18 PM »

https://twitter.com/Distinct_Words/status/1108459646522667008

TBH, Beto doesn't look like a strong candidate - the recent hagiography in Vanity Fair makes clear that he is more style than content.  So all this Beto twitter-quake stuff seems to me like a candidate for March Squirrel of the Month.

Regarding the live birth situation, I think this depends on the neurological status of the fetus.  If it's "viable" but anencephalic or some other case of not being capable of a conscious existence, then it would be merciful not to prolong its life.  We really need to get legislators to write better laws that really deal with fetal status after 24 weeks of gestation.  I personally am troubled by both infringement on a woman's medical decisions AND on the rights of a fetus that may be viable and conscious.  Which is why this issue will remain a horrible mess for....centuries. 

barton

« Reply #11652 on: March 20, 2019, 09:14:14 PM »

....or until contraception and reproductive care and counseling achieve the social status of sacraments.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #11653 on: March 20, 2019, 09:18:11 PM »

SCOTUS  again overturned the 9th Circuit yesterday, this time  on an Immigration question.
The five conservative Justices read the law as written by Congress. The Liberals made up their own version.
Understandable that the Clown Car democrats running for President want to pack the Court with those who would make up other laws.

It isn't the job of our Supreme Court to decide cases on the law as written by Congress, but to decide on the constitutionality of the law as written by Congress.
Wanna try that one again?

No.  Knowing that there isn't any way you would acknowledge the obvious flaw in your analysis.  And Whiskeypriest has it covered, I think.

Generally, for your info, SCOTUS is not required to take the lead from Congress in the cases they consider.  Their job is not to rule on the law as written by Congress.  Their job is to evaluate the constitutionality of said law, and by their ruling, require that any portion of said law that runs afoul of the Constitution be amended.

If you did not intend, through your analysis, to demonstrate a lack of understanding of this basic role of the highest court, you are free to "try that one again."
I don’t have to.
You explained your ignorance of our Checks and Balances all by yourself.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 775 776 [777] 778 779 ... 4288