Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 859 860 [861] 862 863 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2005186 times)

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #12900 on: April 22, 2019, 04:53:55 PM »

Meanwhile, the logical result of the religious right's definition of tolerance, on a symbolic level...

"Our new law is okay because it's very hard to secure a conviction." 

Much easier to enforce the old don't-say-Jehovah law.   Ah crap, I said Jehovah.   Sorry!

barton

« Reply #12901 on: April 22, 2019, 05:01:17 PM »

Trump continues acting like just the creep depicted in the Mueller report...

If pay walls are bringing you down, the gist is hyphenated within the link.

On Monday, some legal experts were skeptical that the president’s tactic would succeed. They said courts generally have granted Congress fairly wide powers to investigate, even in cases where the investigation wasn’t connected to a pending bill.

“You can never say never because courts change and there are new judges, but this is way over the top,” said Kerry W. Kircher, who served as House counsel for the Republican majority from 2011 to 2016, referring to the suit. “I’m as confident as I can be that there’s no chance of success here on the merits.”

Kircher said that the courts would be “altering the whole arrangement of checks and balances” should they rule in favor of Trump.   

A man who is honest and has nothing to hide doesn't do stuff like this.  (I should get a macro key for that comment) 

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12903 on: April 22, 2019, 05:39:42 PM »

No-go zones around Christian churches for vehicles that don't belong to members (members must be thoroughly identified and background checked before being accepted as members, no fake Christians allowed.)

Who do you propose will pay for all this manpower to run the checkpoints and do the background checks? And what, pray tell, is your definition of a "fake Christian," besides yourself?
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12904 on: April 22, 2019, 05:44:22 PM »

[

Meanwhile, the logical result of the religious right's definition of tolerance, on a symbolic level:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj24IqZweThAhVwhuAKHURPAfMQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fworld%2F2019%2Fapr%2F22%2Fbrunei-defends-stoning-death-gay-sex-letter-eu&psig=AOvVaw19PeldReFvh02pnbCib_EX&ust=1556050293175423
The religious right?
Brunei is 80 per cent Muslim.

It's not Brunei's tolerance that either the article or Whiskey are discussing, Ward.

Way to miss the point.

"Kingdom’s mission to bloc calls for tolerance and understanding over penal code"

The request is for the EU to be tolerant.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #12905 on: April 22, 2019, 05:53:36 PM »

[

Meanwhile, the logical result of the religious right's definition of tolerance, on a symbolic level:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj24IqZweThAhVwhuAKHURPAfMQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fworld%2F2019%2Fapr%2F22%2Fbrunei-defends-stoning-death-gay-sex-letter-eu&psig=AOvVaw19PeldReFvh02pnbCib_EX&ust=1556050293175423
The religious right?

It's not Brunei's tolerance that either the article or Whiskey are discussing, Ward.

Way to miss the point.

"Kingdom’s mission to bloc calls for tolerance and understanding over penal code"

I suggest you go back to first grade and study harder.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12906 on: April 22, 2019, 05:55:49 PM »

Meanwhile, the logical result of the religious right's definition of tolerance, on a symbolic level...

"Our new law is okay because it's very hard to secure a conviction." 

Much easier to enforce the old don't-say-Jehovah law.   Ah crap, I said Jehovah.   Sorry!
You're only making it worse.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #12907 on: April 22, 2019, 05:56:37 PM »

No-go zones around Christian churches for vehicles that don't belong to members (members must be thoroughly identified and background checked before being accepted as members, no fake Christians allowed.)

Who do you propose will pay for all this manpower to run the checkpoints and do the background checks? And what, pray tell, is your definition of a "fake Christian," besides yourself?
One would rhyme with Monald Gay Jump.

whiskeypriest

• View Profile
« Reply #12908 on: April 22, 2019, 06:01:12 PM »

[

The religious right?
So you chose to ignore the six words before and seven words after religious right, and posit a question they answer. Granted you display little understanding of or talent for processing analogies or engaging in abstract thought, but behave as expected.

I was not aware."religious right" specified a particular religion.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12909 on: April 22, 2019, 06:04:43 PM »

[

The religious right?

Way to miss the point.

Your usual non-specific attempt at witty repartee because you were wrong and have nothing pertinent to say.

Ho hum.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #12910 on: April 22, 2019, 06:05:39 PM »

Trump continues acting like just the creep depicted in the Mueller report...

If pay walls are bringing you down, the gist is hyphenated within the link.

On Monday, some legal experts were skeptical that the president’s tactic would succeed. They said courts generally have granted Congress fairly wide powers to investigate, even in cases where the investigation wasn’t connected to a pending bill.

“You can never say never because courts change and there are new judges, but this is way over the top,” said Kerry W. Kircher, who served as House counsel for the Republican majority from 2011 to 2016, referring to the suit. “I’m as confident as I can be that there’s no chance of success here on the merits.”

Kircher said that the courts would be “altering the whole arrangement of checks and balances” should they rule in favor of Trump.   

A man who is honest and has nothing to hide doesn't do stuff like this.  (I should get a macro key for that comment)

I agree, and I don’t. 

I agree that there doesn’t seem to me to be any other reason in his case for doing this, but I can disagree by saying that there are perhaps some reasons out there for his wanting to keep his financial dealings secret that don’t necessarily point to impropriety.

But the thing is, those reasons don’t matter.  No one made him run for President, it was his choice.  Doing so should have meant real separation between himself and his business.  For the first time in our history, our “President” hasn’t done this.  If Trump and his cultists want to argue that despite a business history running from shady to outright criminal that everything he is doing now is above board, fine.  Prove it. 

If you say that he shouldn’t have to, you are saying that corruption doesn’t matter.  Period.  Which is a curious position for a guy who came to office on a pledge to “drain the swamp.”
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #12911 on: April 22, 2019, 06:12:03 PM »

[

The religious right?

Way to miss the point.

Your usual non-specific attempt at witty repartee because you were wrong and have nothing pertinent to say.

Ho hum.
Thats because you can’t read.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12912 on: April 22, 2019, 06:18:28 PM »

[

The religious right?

Way to miss the point.

Ho hum.
Thats because you can’t read.

To quote you, "LOL."

That's because you had no accurate point to explain and cannot admit it.

There is nothing from you to read, beyond your original bogus position that had nothing to do with the post to which you attempted to respond.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12913 on: April 22, 2019, 06:21:57 PM »

https://atlantablackstar.com/2019/04/22/michigan-city-moves-to-criminalize-calling-police-on-black-folks-for-simply-participating-in-their-lives/

A Michigan city is taking steps to criminalize dialing 911 on people of color for simply living their lives.

Leaders in Grand Rapids are set to vote on a proposed “bias crime reporting prohibition” in May that would make it a criminal misdemeanor to racially profile Black people and other minorities by calling the police for frivolous reasons,

A good, if belated, start.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12914 on: April 22, 2019, 06:24:49 PM »

Witch hunt!

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/butina-influence-secretary-state-sentencing-memo-825666/

Perhaps most disturbing, the memo highlights Butina’s claim that she was using her contacts within Trump World in late 2016 to help vet the new administration’s choice for secretary of state. The memo states that Butina “provided the Russian Official with the name of an individual she claimed was being considered for secretary of state” on November 11th, 2016. “She asked the Russian Official to seek the input of the Russian government on the name she provided and told him, ‘our opinion will be taken into consideration’ in the United States.’” The memo offers no further detail on the substance of this explosive claim. (Butina was not mentioned in the redacted Mueller report that detailed extensive contacts between Trump World and Russia. The White House did not immediately respond for a request for comment.)

The government memo explains to the public that “Butina was not a spy in the traditional sense,” but underscores that “[a]cquiring information valuable to a foreign power does not necessarily involve collecting classified documents or engaging in cloak-and-dagger activities.” It emphasizes that Butina’s actions will likely cause serious and ongoing harm.
Pages: 1 ... 859 860 [861] 862 863 ... 4288