Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 860 861 [862] 863 864 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2004645 times)

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #12915 on: April 22, 2019, 06:38:45 PM »

Trump continues acting like just the creep depicted in the Mueller report...

If pay walls are bringing you down, the gist is hyphenated within the link.

On Monday, some legal experts were skeptical that the president’s tactic would succeed. They said courts generally have granted Congress fairly wide powers to investigate, even in cases where the investigation wasn’t connected to a pending bill.

“You can never say never because courts change and there are new judges, but this is way over the top,” said Kerry W. Kircher, who served as House counsel for the Republican majority from 2011 to 2016, referring to the suit. “I’m as confident as I can be that there’s no chance of success here on the merits.”

Kircher said that the courts would be “altering the whole arrangement of checks and balances” should they rule in favor of Trump.   

A man who is honest and has nothing to hide doesn't do stuff like this.  (I should get a macro key for that comment)

I agree, and I don’t. 

I agree that there doesn’t seem to me to be any other reason in his case for doing this, but I can disagree by saying that there are perhaps some reasons out there for his wanting to keep his financial dealings secret that don’t necessarily point to impropriety.

But the thing is, those reasons don’t matter.  No one made him run for President, it was his choice.  Doing so should have meant real separation between himself and his business.  For the first time in our history, our “President” hasn’t done this.  If Trump and his cultists want to argue that despite a business history running from shady to outright criminal that everything he is doing now is above board, fine.  Prove it. 

If you say that he shouldn’t have to, you are saying that corruption doesn’t matter.  Period.  Which is a curious position for a guy who came to office on a pledge to “drain the swamp.”
The President, the Vice President, and all employees of the IRS are audited every year.
Why not call theIRS Commissioner to appear before  Congress?

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #12916 on: April 22, 2019, 07:14:45 PM »

On Monday, some legal experts were skeptical that the president’s tactic would succeed. They said courts generally have granted Congress fairly wide powers to investigate, even in cases where the investigation wasn’t connected to a pending bill.

“You can never say never because courts change and there are new judges, but this is way over the top,” said Kerry W. Kircher, who served as House counsel for the Republican majority from 2011 to 2016, referring to the suit. “I’m as confident as I can be that there’s no chance of success here on the merits.”

Kircher said that the courts would be “altering the whole arrangement of checks and balances” should they rule in favor of Trump.   

A man who is honest and has nothing to hide doesn't do stuff like this.  (I should get a macro key for that comment)

I agree, and I don’t. 

I agree that there doesn’t seem to me to be any other reason in his case for doing this, but I can disagree by saying that there are perhaps some reasons out there for his wanting to keep his financial dealings secret that don’t necessarily point to impropriety.

But the thing is, those reasons don’t matter.  No one made him run for President, it was his choice.  Doing so should have meant real separation between himself and his business.  For the first time in our history, our “President” hasn’t done this.  If Trump and his cultists want to argue that despite a business history running from shady to outright criminal that everything he is doing now is above board, fine.  Prove it. 

If you say that he shouldn’t have to, you are saying that corruption doesn’t matter.  Period.  Which is a curious position for a guy who came to office on a pledge to “drain the swamp.”
The President, the Vice President, and all employees of the IRS are audited every year.

Because the questions, obviously, go well beyond whether or not Trump filed his taxes correctly.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #12917 on: April 22, 2019, 07:25:31 PM »

I agree, and I don’t. 

Because the questions, obviously, go well beyond whether or not Trump filed his taxes correctly.
LOL.
No, the reason is Congress has no non-political reason to call the IRS Commissioner.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #12918 on: April 22, 2019, 08:11:48 PM »

Watched the Klobuchar town hall.  She is impressive.

Skipping Warren for now.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12919 on: April 22, 2019, 08:26:25 PM »

Congress has a very good reason to insure that the laws as currently executed can give the public confidence that officials subject to automatic audit are receiving scrutiny sufficient to dissuade them from committing tax fraud or other financial crimes. That if they are committing such violations, the public is informed so action can be taken against them. The IRS is a little machine that congress writes the rules for. Congress has every right to check on how those rules are being followed.

An entity or twit being under audit does not in anyway impede the IRS from following the “shall” language triggered by congressional requests for documents.

We should look at Pence’s taxes while we’re at it. Thanks for the reminder Red. Congress has to be thorough.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12920 on: April 22, 2019, 09:46:31 PM »

I agree, and I don’t. 

LOL.
No, the reason is Congress has no non-political reason to call the IRS Commissioner.

Yeah, they do.

But while they do, the reason for the request of Trump's taxes go beyond "Is the IRS performing those audits in an unbiased and fair fashion," which might yet get the IRS Commissioner before them.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #12921 on: April 22, 2019, 09:57:50 PM »

So.....

now we are going to check to see when Obama's people talked him out of actions that may have been ill-advised

Right?

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #12922 on: April 22, 2019, 10:11:43 PM »

Skipping Warren for now.

Figures...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #12923 on: April 22, 2019, 10:13:55 PM »

So.....

now we are going to check to see when Obama's people talked him out of actions that may have been ill-advised

Right?

No.

He isn’t president...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #12924 on: April 22, 2019, 10:21:17 PM »

Skipping Warren for now.

Figures...
Warren is being skipped by most democrats.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #12925 on: April 22, 2019, 10:22:02 PM »

When the hell are they gonna impeach President Clinton?

https://twitter.com/existentialfish/status/1120498559604994048?s=21

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #12926 on: April 22, 2019, 10:22:59 PM »

Skipping Warren for now.

Figures...
Warren is being skipped by most democrats.

I don’t care as long her policy proposals get through... and they will.

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #12927 on: April 22, 2019, 10:27:24 PM »

Skipping Warren for now.

Figures...

Yeah.... mind pretty much made up on Liz.

But I will still watch it in time.

arafura

• View Profile
« Reply #12928 on: April 22, 2019, 10:41:00 PM »

No-go zones around Christian churches for vehicles that don't belong to members (members must be thoroughly identified and background checked before being accepted as members, no fake Christians allowed.)

Who do you propose will pay for all this manpower to run the checkpoints and do the background checks? And what, pray tell, is your definition of a "fake Christian," besides yourself?

Islamic suicide bombers trying to infiltrate.
Armed volunteers from the churches would run the checkpoints, security, ...and special divisions within the churches would do the background checks.
Better than doing nothing, being sitting ducks, and getting blown to bits in your own church by Islamic terrorists.
There are fences, and locked gates during school hours around Jewish schools in Sydney...armed guards at the gates.
How do I know?
I, in a white van, mrs arafura on board, took the wrong exit off a roundabout one day...the only place it went was to the front gate of a Jewish school.
The armed guard, six gun visible, looked very suspicious of us. He wasn't smiling.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12929 on: April 22, 2019, 10:42:11 PM »

So.....

Right?

It would be consistent with how the GOP is handling things. And if they find insufficient incidence, then at Bill Clinton. Anything but admit the culpability of the current president.

But Kiiid - false equivalence, much?

Look for when Obama's people talked him out of ILLEGAL actions. And more to the point, simply refused to follow orders that they knew were wrong. Even they knew the orders were wrong.

Happy hunting. Wake me when you are ready to admit that you found nothing.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham
Pages: 1 ... 860 861 [862] 863 864 ... 4288