Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 876 877 [878] 879 880 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1993725 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #13155 on: April 28, 2019, 01:43:35 AM »

"Collusion, obstruction of justice, impeachment or not, greedy tax breaks, medical care for all or none, refugees seeking compassion at our borders — as a citizen, I care deeply about all these things. But I also fail to see how any of it will matter without a planet to live on."

Robert Redford's words express my thoughts.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #13156 on: April 28, 2019, 11:29:21 AM »

You are correct.  The key figure is 39%, which is the STRONGLY DISAPPROVE, down from a high of 50.  More voters are considering Trump now.

Hell, if you’re this confident you must have gotten down on some 2020 action. You go bigly?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #13157 on: April 28, 2019, 12:59:47 PM »

Amusing that "I don't STRONGLY disapprove" would be construed as possible endorsement of a candidate. 

I don't strongly disapprove of Sen. Rounds but I'm far from "considering" him in 2020.

538's average of major polls shows disapproval at 53% - and approval at 41% - more meaningful figures in terms of voting.  Probably will take more vote suppression and Russian meddling to get Orange Mousse O'Leany back for another round of planet killing.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #13158 on: April 28, 2019, 01:17:03 PM »

I still think Obama was a huge disappointment, as he was too cautious and centrist.  Never tried to shift the party and country leftward.  Left the Dem party in poor shape.

The fact Trump was chosen to replace Obama should give you pause about this. The party bucked and hamstrung him on the ACA (The Four Senate Dems and the Independent Senator from the great state of Aetna) kept watering it down to entice Republicans and then Baucus slow walked the bill through the summer of 2009 while the TEA Party gathered steam. Obama called a cop stupid in July 2009 and lost white support across the board and never really got it back.

The party wasn’t ready and it squandered its best opportunity in the 2010 midterms when they ran scared and ran away from Obama. The progressives protest to “punish” Obama for not fighting for the public option gave the GOP control of the House and states.

It’s been uphill ever since...

Some will say the above is revisionist bullshit or just bullshit but y’all know I’ve been consistent with my bullshit.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #13159 on: April 28, 2019, 01:26:40 PM »

Six months to the day after the Tree of Life shooting another synagogue was attacked near San Diego and on that same day a bunch white nationalists crashed a book talk marching and chanting, “This land is OUR land! AIM! AIM! AIM!”

AIM is the American Identity Movement which used to be known as Identity Europa.

Where are the folks in here yelling about a “primitive belief matrix?”

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13160 on: April 28, 2019, 02:00:26 PM »

I still think Obama was a huge disappointment, as he was too cautious and centrist.  Never tried to shift the party and country leftward.  Left the Dem party in poor shape.

The fact Trump was chosen to replace Obama should give you pause about this. The party bucked and hamstrung him on the ACA (The Four Senate Dems and the Independent Senator from the great state of Aetna) kept watering it down to entice Republicans and then Baucus slow walked the bill through the summer of 2009 while the TEA Party gathered steam. Obama called a cop stupid in July 2009 and lost white support across the board and never really got it back.

The party wasn’t ready and it squandered its best opportunity in the 2010 midterms when they ran scared and ran away from Obama. The progressives protest to “punish” Obama for not fighting for the public option gave the GOP control of the House and states.

It’s been uphill ever since...

Some will say the above is revisionist bullshit or just bullshit but y’all know I’ve been consistent with my bullshit.

I thought that Obama was largely exactly who he told us he would be.

I think the so-called progressives are still seeking to punish the folks they call liberal or neo-liberal for failing to be in favor of their all or nothing view vs. the incrementalist stance that HRC took.

And I think the world will burn, partially because of that.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13161 on: April 28, 2019, 02:45:06 PM »

Is burning.

Primitive belief matrix.

Obama was the final republican president. A notch below Teddy and Ike.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #13162 on: April 28, 2019, 02:49:20 PM »

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #13163 on: April 28, 2019, 03:09:31 PM »

Some people are proposing that Notre Dame be rebuilt as a greenhouse, with a glass roof, and that it be finished in 5 years. My answer is "NO!" Notre Dame needs to be rebuilt as it was, and if it takes 100 years to rebuild it, then so be it. It needs to be rebuilt as one of the most amazing buildings in the world. They need to hire the best designers and the best craftsmen, and they need to retain the splendor of the original Notre Dame Cathedral.

Salute,

Tony V. 

« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 03:42:10 PM by FlyingVProd »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #13164 on: April 28, 2019, 03:24:15 PM »

Yep, which is why I didn't support him.
He let too much U of Chicago market ideology seep into his cranium. Also, I thought he would have been more ready after 8 years of Hillary. 

As for health care, Obama started in the middle with an old GOP market-based plan (Romney-/Heritage-care).  Obama mistakenly believed he could get moderate Repubs and the insurance companies and everybody on board.  He was wrong about bi-partisanship. 

I think the fact that Obama didn't crack the whip and get the full stimulus package and banking regs he wanted when there was a major crisis allowed Dems to feel they could stand up to him and derail healthcare if they weren't specially catered to. 

What was he even doing wasting his time with the beer summit?  Talk in broad strokes about social problems and leave local incidents to the locals.

But Obama got played and out-flanked consistently.  Two years of his presidency were wasted on a fake concern over the deficit.  How ridiculous that seems now (yet I recall Obama repeating the dumb analogy of a family budget).  His Supreme Court nominee was simply ignored.  He failed to bring up Bush and his myriad disasters -- the GOP brand should have been tarnished for decades.  Worse, Obama inexplicably extended the awful Bush tax cuts for a few years.  And the entire national DEM party fell into shambles on his watch.

Obama was a centrist in a right-wing era -- so yeah sort of a Rockefeller Republican.  He didn't try to move the pendulum leftward.  To be a Reagan of the Left -- a new Kennedy.  Instead he was a good government moderate.  Yawn.  Leading to Trump, when the far right GOP and the establishment Bush types should have been eviscerated, and fully countered.  Sad.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #13165 on: April 28, 2019, 03:34:45 PM »

As for Veep, it's basically proven it doesn't matter at all.  But there are plenty to choose from.

Bern would benefit from a female Veep.  Warren, Kamala, Amy Kornflake, Gillibrand.  Or a black male -- Booker, LeBron, etc.
Biden essentially the same.
Both could use somebody young.  I'd keep an eye on Kamala and Gillibrand. 

Warren (and other female candidates) would need a male.  Not sure who, but a Biden type.  Evan Bayh, Cuomo or whomever.  I guess there aren't any prominent Florida Dems (?)  There hasn't been a DEM Florida Governor this century!  Someone from the Midwest could be a good idea.  Sherrod Brown is all I can come up with -- not exactly a household name, but seems respected.
There seems a real gap in prominent white male Dems from age 55-70.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 03:49:30 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #13166 on: April 28, 2019, 03:59:48 PM »

Yep, which is why I didn't support him.
He let too much U of Chicago market ideology seep into his cranium. Also, I thought he would have been more ready after 8 years of Hillary. 

As for health care, Obama started in the middle with an old GOP market-based plan (Romney-/Heritage-care).  Obama mistakenly believed he could get moderate Repubs and the insurance companies and everybody on board.  He was wrong about bi-partisanship. 

I think the fact that Obama didn't crack the whip and get the full stimulus package and banking regs he wanted when there was a major crisis allowed Dems to feel they could stand up to him and derail healthcare if they weren't specially catered to. 

What was he even doing wasting his time with the beer summit?  Talk in broad strokes about social problems and leave local incidents to the locals.

But Obama got played and out-flanked consistently.  Two years of his presidency were wasted on a fake concern over the deficit.  How ridiculous that seems now (yet I recall Obama repeating the dumb analogy of a family budget).  His Supreme Court nominee was simply ignored.  He failed to bring up Bush and his myriad disasters -- the GOP brand should have been tarnished for decades.  Worse, Obama inexplicably extended the awful Bush tax cuts for a few years.  And the entire national DEM party fell into shambles on his watch.

Obama was a centrist in a right-wing era -- so yeah sort of a Rockefeller Republican.  He didn't try to move the pendulum leftward.  To be a Reagan of the Left -- a new Kennedy.  Instead he was a good government moderate.  Yawn.  Leading to Trump, when the far right GOP and the establishment Bush types should have been eviscerated, and fully countered.  Sad.

Obama wasn’t the doe eyed waif leaping rainbow as astride a glitter farting unicorn liberals  thought he was nor was he the Warrior King progressives demanded.

To the right he was nigger.

Your entire analysis let’s the centrist Democrats, Republicans and the media entirely off the hook.

https://exjournalistsunite.wordpress.com/2019/01/30/we-the-media-have-to-do-better-than-grabbing-for-the-latest-shiny-object/

Lyndon Johnson

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #13167 on: April 28, 2019, 04:24:33 PM »

Paul Robeson was a communist, until he discovered the Catholic church...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Robeson

If we were all Christians then we would all be loving our neighbors, and we would be feeding the hungry, and we would be housing the homeless, etc.

Salute,

Tony V.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #13168 on: April 28, 2019, 04:41:50 PM »

Performed in a church. Never seemed to renounce communism at all. Great American.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #13169 on: April 28, 2019, 04:59:54 PM »

http://theintercept.com/2019/04/28/mueller-report-trump-russia-questions/

Congress and the press and eventually the public will find they turned the whole GOP and its associated grotesque appendages.
Pages: 1 ... 876 877 [878] 879 880 ... 4288