Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 904 905 [906] 907 908 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1601434 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #13575 on: May 09, 2019, 01:22:36 AM »

If it quacks like a duck it must sell chicken.

Red needs to turn down his meds.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #13577 on: May 09, 2019, 01:40:21 AM »

So far the best thing that can be said about trump’s usurpation of the presidency is that he hasn’t been smart enough to do many of the things he thinks are smart even if he only goes so far as to think they are smart as gimmicks.

This misadministration needs to get taken off life support before it gets a head on itself and becomes even more dangerous.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 02:02:33 AM by facilitatorn »

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #13579 on: May 09, 2019, 02:39:03 AM »

I glance in here now and then.  And whenever I see mention of China here, it's usually not well informed.

Chinese investment is largely directed by the gov't and gov't banks.  China has been putting massive capital into the awkwardly-named Belt and Road projects, building ports and roads and such in central Asia, Africa and South America.  This is Xi JinPing's signature economic policy -- use Chinese investment to open new markets and gain global influence.  China diversifying away from just selling goods to the US and Europe.  I'd say this is the main reason investment in the US has dwindled.  While the gov't has also made it more difficult for Chinese to extract their money from China, and most who have that kind of capital have already found landing spots.

As for selling wine and cheese to Chinese.
Cheese is rather a strange novelty here and kind of a complicated not well-understood food.  Think of tofu in the US and how long it took to be semi-accepted. (in China there are many kinds of tofu).  Chinese aren't big dairy consumers.  There won't be a major cheese market here for a long time if ever.  Plus competition from AUS, France, Italy, etc.  I've been seeing a lot of cheap discount cheese these years, stuff that didn't sell.  I almost bought some Danish Camembert the other day for next to nothing, but I rarely eat cheese -- which is still more than most Chinese.

Wine has become hip among the urban professionals, but that's a somewhat limited, though wealthy market.  Also CA has to compete with many other countries.  Basically the wine market in Shanghai is flooded, with wine shops everywhere, and prices have dropped significantly.  Typical how everyone jumps into a new business here and then it becomes oversaturated.  The wine boom was 10+ years ago.  Now there's more being sold, but often at 1/3 or 1/4 of the prices of before.  With lots of competition.

For CA, computer chips, nuts, fruit are better bets.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #13580 on: May 09, 2019, 07:13:21 AM »

I thank you for clarifying what goes on in the Middle Kingdom, Bo. California has its fruits, its nuts, and chips as well. Our billionaires tend to make rather than lose billions, which apparently is not always the case.

The Art of the Comeback is a sad story of a broken man documenting his psychotic break from reality. It is set to be reissued under the new more accurate title Vampire on Thin Ice. 

Richard P. Feynman

barton

« Reply #13581 on: May 09, 2019, 09:55:01 AM »

Careful, you could be charged with a salt battery....

https://apnews.com/bc43ae5cbbed4c459a543b6fd4b5ee7b

Germany making progress on getting steady power from intermittent types of energy sources. 

barton

« Reply #13582 on: May 09, 2019, 10:01:43 AM »

Wasnt the CEO of Chick a Fellate the guy who said gay people were an offense to God and his family donated tons of money to antiLGBT causes?   I think his smugly righteous and hateful comments are what really disgusts God.  That, and anyone who uses God as a cover for being a bigot.  Fuck them.

You are stepping out of your zone, Barton.  Just be yourself.  You are accepted here.

News for you:

If I need advice on post content, I will ask for it.

Funny no coment from you on my second post, citing quotes from Cathy that demonstrate his bigotry, as well as the fact of donating to "conversion" group.  You prefer gibes to an argument with substance.  Pity.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #13583 on: May 09, 2019, 10:27:27 AM »

Wasnt the CEO of Chick a Fellate the guy who said gay people were an offense to God and his family donated tons of money to antiLGBT causes?   I think his smugly righteous and hateful comments are what really disgusts God.  That, and anyone who uses God as a cover for being a bigot.  Fuck them.

You are stepping out of your zone, Barton.  Just be yourself.  You are accepted here.

News for you:

big·ot·ry
/ˈbiɡətrē/
noun
intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #13584 on: May 09, 2019, 10:55:08 AM »

So after his hour long conversation with Putin which was reportedly largely about the situation in Venezuela, Trump is now bucking his advisors and espousing a view on the situation (including tacit support for Maduro) that would bring US policy more in line with Russia's.  Huh.

Trump is well known to parrot the opinions of whomever he last talks to on any given subject.  But there might be more here than that.  This wouldn't be the first time Trump pushes US policy to one more favorable to Russia's interests.

But the GOP got their tax cuts, so...
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #13585 on: May 09, 2019, 11:21:46 AM »

Having unashamedly used my children as political props... I have to bring attention to this clip from Trump’s rally where someone yelled about shooting migrants.

There is some questionable parenting going on in this clip. Watch all the adults, then look st the three black children behind the President.

Yeah, right.

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1126293204993703936?s=21
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #13586 on: May 09, 2019, 12:36:22 PM »

News for you:

big·ot·ry
/ˈbiɡətrē/
noun
intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself.

It's not bigotry to reject snidery directed at you personally.  I have absolutely nothing against him expressing his opinions.  So long as he understands I don't want advice on how to write my posts or define my "zone" or be myself.  In actual debates, the kind where people offer evidence (as I did to you recently, to no avail), his post would be called "ad hominem." 
You do you, I'll do me.  Thanks.

barton

« Reply #13587 on: May 09, 2019, 12:44:46 PM »

Having unashamedly used my children as political props... I have to bring attention to this clip from Trump’s rally where someone yelled about shooting migrants.

There is some questionable parenting going on in this clip. Watch all the adults, then look st the three black children behind the President.

Yeah, right.

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1126293204993703936?s=21

Jokes about killing refugees who are fleeing for their lives. 

Some of your Trumpies will wake up from your infatuation with your cult leader one day, and you will feel nauseated as you realize how far he took you from basic human decency and the actual teachings of Christ. 

oilcan

« Reply #13588 on: May 09, 2019, 12:48:47 PM »

Just dropped in to see what condition the nation's condition was in.  Two words:

Fuck Alabama

In Alabama, this is what freedom of religion means:  the freedom to force everyone to obey my religion. 

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #13589 on: May 09, 2019, 01:28:03 PM »

Thanks Bo, it is cool that the web is global and that you are able to join in from China.

How free are they now in China? Is the middle class growing? How about the working hours, do they get leisure time? Are conditions improving for the common man in China as their economy improves? Is the money making it to the workers?

Sometimes the bosses are all getting rich, while the workers starve, which is why unions are so important.

I would like to see the workers get paid fair, and then I want their markets to be open to American products, and Americans make good stuff that the Chinese will enjoy and which can compete.

Here is some old news on projects which the Chinese have been doing in Los Angeles...

---
They built towering new cities in China. Now they're trying it in downtown L.A.

By DAVID PIERSON
AUG 26, 2016 | 3:10 PM

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-0825-china-dtla-snap-story.html

-----------------

And it is good that the Chinese are doing business in South America, and with Africa, and others. The Colombians would love to sell the Chinese coffee I bet.

Do you see a lot of American products? American entertainment?

I would rather see the USA and China be allies, instead of adversaries. And I would like to see them be free, wealthy, and happy, and to be consumers whom we can sell to.

And I saw on television that some firms in Idaho are making computer chips now, and they are exporting computer chips around the world.

Here is one article about technology in Idaho...

----

This Boise firm has developed bendable computer chips. They may be on your body soon.
BY JOHN SOWELL
FEBRUARY 23, 2018 08:19 PM

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/business/business-insider/article201925359.html

----------------

And yes, California has a lot of fruit and nuts to send to the Chinese, we have had a good winter so far as rain and snow, and we have a lot of water for the growers. And that is good that the Chinese are drinking wine, they will like California wine if it is available for them, and Californians are great at marketing and Californians can have the Chinese eating California cheese in no time. :)

Salute,

Tony V.
Pages: 1 ... 904 905 [906] 907 908 ... 4288