Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 957 958 [959] 960 961 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1700576 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile

Yankguy1

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #14371 on: May 29, 2019, 08:33:02 AM »

"Kiid Whatabout"
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14372 on: May 29, 2019, 08:39:10 AM »

Just pointing out the nature of the beast, pal.

barton

« Reply #14373 on: May 29, 2019, 09:14:08 AM »

In a 20-page opinion on the Indiana provision, Justice Clarence Thomas, who supports overturning Roe v Wade, warned that abortion was in danger of “becoming a tool of modern-day eugenics”   

In the 1950s and 60s, this was actually a commonly held position of the Left.  Interesting how ideology and our definitions of left and right can be fluid, over time.   Thomas, in 2019, weirdly echoes the concerns of old school Leftists that abortion would be pushed at certain classes of people.  For him, the whole feminist perspective never happened.  I.e. that women can be trusted to make their own medical decisions. 

barton

« Reply #14374 on: May 29, 2019, 09:16:12 AM »

Missouri health investigators seem to be taking a page from the Joe McCarthy playbook....

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/may/28/missouri-abortion-clinic-closure-first-state-roe-v-wade

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #14375 on: May 29, 2019, 10:43:28 AM »

Just pointing out the nature of the beast, pal.

Yeah, that lady is such a beast that she is slow-walking impeachment when half of her caucus is for it (+ one vocal and persuasive GOP Rep.)   What would McConnell be doing in this position right now?

And no, stealing a SCOTUS seat, ignoring the Democratic voice of the people while cynically claiming you are giving those people a voice, is not only not the "nature of the beast" it is unprecedented and uniquely beastly, to McConnell and the partisan party-over-country GOP.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #14376 on: May 29, 2019, 10:44:41 AM »

In a 20-page opinion on the Indiana provision, Justice Clarence Thomas, who supports overturning Roe v Wade, warned that abortion was in danger of “becoming a tool of modern-day eugenics”   

In the 1950s and 60s, this was actually a commonly held position of the Left.  Interesting how ideology and our definitions of left and right can be fluid, over time.   Thomas, in 2019, weirdly echoes the concerns of old school Leftists that abortion would be pushed at certain classes of people.  For him, the whole feminist perspective never happened.  I.e. that women can be trusted to make their own medical decisions.

More scary, Thomas continually put birth control in the same basket as abortion in this respect.  He really would have us go back to the 1950s.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #14377 on: May 29, 2019, 10:52:54 AM »

McConnell is a lying, cheating piece of scum.

It's no wonder he is supported by his party.

"But all politicians are!" the transparent excuse coming from the enablers.  Never mind that kiidcarter8 can not come up with one example of so open a lie from Pelosi, let alone one that is so significant and damaging to our democratic process.

Like Trump..."They are all ignorant and corrupt self-dealing dullards."  OK, if you say so.  Except didn't Trump run on "draining the swamp?"

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #14378 on: May 29, 2019, 10:56:46 AM »

What about "West Wing"??!!!!
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #14379 on: May 29, 2019, 11:21:23 AM »

Mueller has produced the script it’s up to the Committees to put on the show. Mueller won’t testify but there’s a shitload of personnel and witnesses who can and will.

A matter of when, not if... this Administration is done. How will all those God loving gun toting “patriots” take it?

Achtung, bitches.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #14380 on: May 29, 2019, 11:45:32 AM »

Mueller has produced the script it’s up to the Committees to put on the show. Mueller won’t testify but there’s a shitload of personnel and witnesses who can and will.

A matter of when, not if... this Administration is done. How will all those God loving gun toting “patriots” take it?

Achtung, bitches.

To clarify, Mueller didn't say he wouldn't testify, only that his testimony will not go beyond the report.  And I would say that given the number of Congresspeople who have evidently not read the report (not even getting into a certain AG) there is value to that even if it is behind closed doors.

I have an enormous amount of respect for Mueller but his reticense to "translate" his report for the American People is, I think, a failure to part of his job.  Even today, it was enormously valuable to hear him a) back up the importance of the investigation (as a response to the "witchunt" claims that will potentially motivate the AG to unmask sources) and b) explain clearly that he did not make a decision on obstruction only because you can't bring a sitting President to trial.

We know after the Clinton experience how even not bringing charges can still give your political opponents ammo when you get in front of the camera to tell the country what you think (thanks Comey) but Mueller need not do that.  Just say what is in the report.  People don't like to read and don't understand what they are reading anyway.

And while again, I wish I shared your optimism that Trump will be brought to justice, his fate will be decided in the election.  It shouldn't be, but it will.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #14381 on: May 29, 2019, 12:42:58 PM »

Achtung, bitches.

To clarify, Mueller didn't say he wouldn't testify, only that his testimony will not go beyond the report.  And I would say that given the number of Congresspeople who have evidently not read the report (not even getting into a certain AG) there is value to that even if it is behind closed doors.

I have an enormous amount of respect for Mueller but his reticense to "translate" his report for the American People is, I think, a failure to part of his job.  Even today, it was enormously valuable to hear him a) back up the importance of the investigation (as a response to the "witchunt" claims that will potentially motivate the AG to unmask sources) and b) explain clearly that he did not make a decision on obstruction only because you can't bring a sitting President to trial.

We know after the Clinton experience how even not bringing charges can still give your political opponents ammo when you get in front of the camera to tell the country what you think (thanks Comey) but Mueller need not do that.  Just say what is in the report.  People don't like to read and don't understand what they are reading anyway.

And while again, I wish I shared your optimism that Trump will be brought to justice, his fate will be decided in the election.  It shouldn't be, but it will.

“You come at the king...”

https://exjournalistsunite.wordpress.com/2019/05/28/lesson-for-democrats-just-take-your-time-and-get-it-right/

Relevant links

https://www.vox.com/2019/5/24/18637163/trump-pelosi-democrats-bills-congress

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/12/republican-party-obstructionism-victory-trump-214498

http://edition.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/10/30/elec02.fallout.memorial/index.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/opinions/2002/11/01/memorial-rally/9ff74bd8-3995-4fad-9b1a-266319428fe2/

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/25/politics/trump-house-committee-agreement-stay-subpoena/index.html
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #14382 on: May 29, 2019, 12:54:03 PM »

No witch hunt, no exoneration, no mas...

Lyndon Johnson

oilcan

« Reply #14383 on: May 29, 2019, 01:58:11 PM »

Silent Bob finally speaks*.  Good he clarified the procedural block to bringing a prez to trial.  One of those facts you can't point out too much, given how many blinkered folk are out there still believing there was some sort of "exoneration."  Do I wish Bob would speak a little more pointedly, would "translate" ?  Yes, but I think he comes from a culture whose professional code just won't let him do that. 

Maybe someday a mike will accidentally be left on and Bob, unwittingly, will share "Trump's a scumbag."  Fantasy?  Yes.

*but doesn't strike back. ;-(

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #14384 on: May 29, 2019, 03:59:52 PM »

Silent Bob finally speaks*.  Good he clarified the procedural block to bringing a prez to trial.  One of those facts you can't point out too much, given how many blinkered folk are out there still believing there was some sort of "exoneration."  Do I wish Bob would speak a little more pointedly, would "translate" ?  Yes, but I think he comes from a culture whose professional code just won't let him do that. 

Maybe someday a mike will accidentally be left on and Bob, unwittingly, will share "Trump's a scumbag."  Fantasy?  Yes.

*but doesn't strike back. ;-(

I can see  Mueller getting all hype introducing the greatest band ever, “Morris Day and the motherfucking Time!”

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 957 958 [959] 960 961 ... 4288