Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 972 973 [974] 975 976 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1595131 times)

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #14595 on: June 02, 2019, 07:24:17 PM »

How do Maine and Nebraska get away with splitting their electoral votes, then?  Just asking.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #14596 on: June 02, 2019, 08:06:24 PM »

We need to build a high speed train between Las Vegas and Anaheim, and Disneyland just built a new Star Wars park. Tourism creates over 160,000 jobs in Orange County, California, alone, and having a high speed train between Vegas and Anaheim would be good for everyone.

The economies in both Anaheim and Vegas are booming because of tourism. Thank God for tourism, tourism is saving us.

http://nevadanewsandviews.com/as-the-economy-surges-vegas-is-cashing-in/

Salute,

Tony V.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #14597 on: June 02, 2019, 08:17:55 PM »

How do Maine and Nebraska get away with splitting their electoral votes, then?  Just asking.
Both deal in proportions.
Applied to Nevada in 2016 instead of the State’s 6 electoral votes going to Hillary she would have received 2.88 and Trump 2.12( or thereabouts)

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14598 on: June 02, 2019, 08:51:27 PM »

No they don't. They apportion by congressional district.
Applied to Nevada in 2016 instead of the State’s 6 electoral votes going to Hillary she would have received 2.88 and Trump 2.12( or thereabouts)
Nothing in the Constitution mandates how a state's electors vote. There is no requirement electoral votes be based on a popular election. That is why there are always faithless electors who vote for people who did not win the state's election. Indeed, sometimes even if they don't run. Faith Spotted Eagle got an electoral vote in 2016. So did Susan Collins.

Mind you, I think it is a bad idea to do it on a state by state basis. But your reason for arguing it's constitutionality is off.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #14599 on: June 02, 2019, 09:27:55 PM »

No they don't. They apportion by congressional district.
Nothing in the Constitution mandates how a state's electors vote.
Except that they vote for electors in their own state 
There is no requirement electoral votes be based on a popular election.[/ quote] all, except the electors for each candidate are chosen by party.
which never has made a difference

That is why there are always faithless electors who vote for people who did not win the state's election. Indeed, sometimes even if they don't run. Faith Spotted Eagle got an electoral vote in 2016. So did Susan Collins.
whoopee.
Mind you, I think it is a bad idea to do it on a state by state basis. But your reason for arguing it's constitutionality is off.
Not by anything you posted.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #14600 on: June 02, 2019, 09:35:12 PM »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #14601 on: June 02, 2019, 09:58:39 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/02/politics/navy-uss-mccain-shanahan/index.html

Truth comes out about ship.

The story doesn’t get any better, it just shifts the blame down to some anonymous kid.

"The fact some 23- or 24-year-old person on the advance team went to that site and said, 'Oh my goodness there's the John McCain, we all know how the President feels about the former senator, maybe that's not the best backdrop, can somebody look into moving it?' -- that's not an unreasonable thing to ask," Mulvaney told NBC's Chuck Todd on "Meet the Press."
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #14602 on: June 02, 2019, 10:04:12 PM »

Quote from: josh link=topic=55.msg91695#msg91695 date=

: "No, I have no basis for my claim that it is unconstitutional."
LOL!
The Constitution does not permit the direct election of a President by a national popular vote.
Your previous post confirmed that. That is why it was laughable.

But it doesn't prevent states from allocating their electors on that basis. So, no.
That is why your "reasoning" is laughable.
No

As the Nevada Governor observed with his veto:
Nevadans vote and their electoral votes will follow the Constitution and will be given, in toto, to the candidate who  finishes first in Nevada.

Amend the Constitution to change how we elect a President.

The Governor made a stupid decision for a dumb reason, but that’s probably why you agree with it. No, you agree because:

“...the system does (for now) make it easier for the Republican Party to win presidential elections without appealing to a majority of the national electorate. And it awards disproportionate influence over the Executive branch to the small fraction of states that happen to have a relatively similar number of Democratic and Republican residents.”

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/05/nevada-governor-vetoes-national-popular-vote-bill.html
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

arafura

• View Profile
« Reply #14603 on: June 02, 2019, 10:28:50 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/02/politics/navy-uss-mccain-shanahan/index.html

Truth comes out about ship.

Trump didn't do it, reportedly...but IMO he does and says some dumb things sometimes.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #14604 on: June 02, 2019, 11:04:21 PM »

LOL!
The Constitution does not permit the direct election of a President by a national popular vote.

But it doesn't prevent states from allocating their electors on that basis. So, no.
No

Nevadans vote and their electoral votes will follow the Constitution and will be given, in toto, to the candidate who  finishes first in Nevada.

The Governor made a stupid decision for a dumb reason, but that’s probably why you agree with it.

Hmm. The Governor defended his constituents right to have their constitutional rights to vote and have those  votes  counted for the candidate they chose. And you call that” dumb”?
Lol.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #14605 on: June 02, 2019, 11:49:03 PM »

LOL!

No

The Governor made a stupid decision for a dumb reason, but that’s probably why you agree with it.

Hmm. The Governor defended his constituents right to have their constitutional rights to vote and have those  votes  counted for the candidate they chose. And you call that” dumb”?
Lol

Yes. I do.

And fuck you with your ‘rights to vote and have those votes counted’ bullshit!

You know you don’t believe that shit for a minute considering your stance on GOP voter suppression. In fact you swore there is no ‘constitutional right to vote’ remember?

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #14606 on: June 03, 2019, 12:24:21 AM »

LOL!

No

Lol

Yes. I do.
please explain.

You know you don’t believe that shit for a minute considering your stance on GOP voter suppression. In fact you swore there is no ‘constitutional right to vote’ remember?
Voter Suppression ?Minority voting is at record levels.
But I can see why you want  to change the  subject.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #14607 on: June 03, 2019, 12:31:47 AM »

LOL!

No

Lol

Yes. I do.
please explain.

Voter Suppression ?Minority voting is at record levels.
But I can see why you want  to change the  subject.

Bitch, please.

You know you could take a second to correctly format your cut and paste talking points.

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14608 on: June 03, 2019, 01:16:23 AM »

Red can no more be honest than trump can.

Perpetual tax cheats are marked by their allergy to true statements.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14609 on: June 03, 2019, 01:45:28 AM »

Having more than $400.00 to access in case of emergency is a good start.

Those with high aptitude would certainly cover this

If they are lucky.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham
Pages: 1 ... 972 973 [974] 975 976 ... 4288