Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 984 985 [986] 987 988 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1584157 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #14775 on: June 06, 2019, 04:31:38 PM »

Presented not to convince those of you who are full of shit, but to provide those already conscious of the climate related security issues with additional information to share with those grappling with why these are important issues.

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/148cb0_a1406e0143ac4c469196d3003bc1e687.pdf

Existential climate-related security risk:
A scenario approach

OVERVIEW

● Analysis of climate-related security threats
depends significantly on understanding the
strengths and limitations of climate science
projections. Much scientific knowledge produced
for climate policy-making is conservative and
reticent.

● Climate change now represents a near- to
mid-term existential threat to human civilisation.
A new approach to climate-related security
risk-management is thus required, giving
particular attention to the high-end and
difficult-to-quantify “fat-tail” possibilities.

● This may be most effectively explored by
scenario analysis. A 2050 scenario is outlined in
which accelerating climate- change impacts
pose large negative consequences to humanity
which might not be undone for centuries.

● To reduce such risks and to sustain human
civilisation, it is essential to build a zeroemissions industrial system very quickly. This
requires the global mobilisation of resources on
an emergency basis, akin to a wartime level of
response.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14776 on: June 06, 2019, 04:36:29 PM »

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/emilyhoerner/police-facebook-racist-violent-posts-comments-philadelphia

A review of the Facebook accounts of thousands of officers around the US — the largest database of its kind — found officers endorsing violence against Muslims, women, and criminal defendants.

Of the pages of officers whom the Plain View researchers could positively identify, about 1 in 5 of the current officers, and 2 in 5 of the retired officers, made public posts or comments that met that threshold — typically by displaying bias, applauding violence, scoffing at due process, or using dehumanizing language. The officers mocked Mexicans, women, and black people, celebrated the Confederate flag, and showed a man wearing a kaffiyeh scarf in the crosshairs of a gun.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

barton

« Reply #14777 on: June 06, 2019, 05:35:47 PM »

Presented not to convince those of you who are full of shit, but to provide those already conscious of the climate related security issues with additional information to share with those grappling with why these are important issues.

Good paper, and the section on scientific reticence is worth reviewing.   My work touches on climate data a little, so I'm aware how climate change models often downplay rapid feedback loops and make fairly conservative projections.  Many don't sufficiently reckon with actual deforestation rates in the tropics, and rises in methane release from multiple growing sources.   I will pass this along.   Thanks.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #14778 on: June 06, 2019, 06:10:03 PM »

Good paper, and the section on scientific reticence is worth reviewing.   My work touches on climate data a little, so I'm aware how climate change models often downplay rapid feedback loops and make fairly conservative projections.  Many don't sufficiently reckon with actual deforestation rates in the tropics, and rises in methane release from multiple growing sources.   I will pass this along.   Thanks.
LOL.
But also explain how effectively murdering  millions of poor people around the world by shutting off carbon solves anything.
We can adapt climate change.
We cannot adapt to ending our reliance on the abundant supply of carbon to provide the capital to build a better world.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14779 on: June 06, 2019, 07:09:47 PM »

LOL.
But also explain how effectively murdering  millions of poor people around the world by shutting off carbon solves anything.
We cannot adapt to ending our reliance on the abundant supply of carbon to provide the capital to build a better world.
It was specifically not for the full of shit. That means you.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #14780 on: June 06, 2019, 07:27:33 PM »

LOL.
It was specifically not for the full of shit. That means you.
LOL

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14781 on: June 06, 2019, 07:38:34 PM »

LOL.

Since it won't happen, I have no need to "explain" your made-up scenario.

But thank you for illustrating why I was not posting for your use.

"We can adapt climate change." A nonsense statement followed by one that is almost as nonsensical, if grammatically correct.

Do me favor and diagram that last sentence, please. Your clauses are as messed up as your occasional failures with nested comments.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14782 on: June 06, 2019, 07:42:42 PM »

LOL

Between your bogus "killing millions" and your lolling, you illustrate why the world is in trouble perfectly. You dismiss the elimination of coal by claiming that it is deadly to do so, without even touching on how many are already killed by air pollution annually, let alone the impact of the climate crisis and how many will die without "adapting" to it. Nor do you ever discuss other ways to adapt.

You and yours would LOL all the way to the death of our species.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #14783 on: June 06, 2019, 07:54:46 PM »

LOL

Between your bogus "killing millions" and your lolling, you illustrate why the world is in trouble perfectly. You dismiss the elimination of coal by claiming that it is deadly to do so, without even touching on how many are already killed by air pollution annually, let alone the impact of the climate crisis and how many will die without "adapting" to it. Nor do you ever discuss other ways to adapt.

LOL. You are the one advocating doing away with poor people to solve nothing.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14784 on: June 06, 2019, 08:49:21 PM »

LOL

"doing away with poor people..."

You keep saying that without an explanation (or at least a rational one) for how those poor people would be done with.

OTOH, you keep pretending that the folks who live on coasts and in other flooding places are not already dying, not to mention what I already pointed out which is annual deaths from air pollution  as a result of your beloved coal, among other factors.

LOL, indeed.

barton

« Reply #14785 on: June 06, 2019, 09:27:31 PM »

I don't have to explain Red's Strawman to himself.  The poorest segment of the global population has by far the lowest carbon footprint.   And is the most receptive to programs which provide solar and wind powered water pumps, village lighting,  and other alt energy innovations that are not dependent on a grid which doesn't reach them.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #14786 on: June 06, 2019, 09:28:57 PM »

LOL

Jesus, you’re an idiot...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14787 on: June 06, 2019, 09:41:22 PM »

When Red says “millions of poor people” he means Massey Energy.

Without coal, Red won’t get anything for Christmas and that would be sad.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #14788 on: June 06, 2019, 10:04:55 PM »

I don't have to explain Red's Strawman to himself.  The poorest segment of the global population has by far the lowest carbon footprint.
Wrong. 200 million plus in China will diewithout coal.   
And is the most receptive to programs which provide solar and wind powered water pumps, village lighting,  and other alt energy innovations that are not dependent on a grid which doesn't reach them.
LOL. The modern day equivalent of “ Let the eat cake !”

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #14789 on: June 06, 2019, 10:38:21 PM »

I don't have to explain Red's Strawman to himself.  The poorest segment of the global population has by far the lowest carbon footprint.
Wrong. 200 million plus in China will diewithout coal.   
And is the most receptive to programs which provide solar and wind powered water pumps, village lighting,  and other alt energy innovations that are not dependent on a grid which doesn't reach them.
LOL. The modern day equivalent of “ Let the eat cake !”

The Chinese appear to disagree with your assertion...

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/2166542/air-pollution-killing-1-million-people-and-costing-chinese
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 984 985 [986] 987 988 ... 4288